• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sculpt Sound usage questions

Kalendraf

Explorer
The 3rd level bard spell Sculpt Sound looks pretty powerful. The summary info lists some examples of what it can do, but I'm wondering about some other cases. First of all, here's the description from the SRD:

SRD said:
Sculpt Sound
Transmutation
Level: Brd 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature or object/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)
You change the sounds that creatures or objects make. You can create sounds where none exist, deaden sounds, or transform sounds into other sounds. All affected creatures or objects must be transmuted in the same way. Once the transmutation is made, you cannot change it.
You can change the qualities of sounds but cannot create words with which you are unfamiliar yourself.
A spellcaster whose voice is changed dramatically is unable to cast spells with verbal components.
components.

A) In the case of "deaden sounds" usage, does this act kind of like a 1-way silence w/ respect to the targets? IOW, the targets don't emit any sound, but can still detect them?

B) Can the spell reduce or amplify sounds? It's not spelled out specifically that it can, though I suspect the "transform sounds" may allow this.

B1) If the spell can reduce sounds, suppose the bard wants to reduce his own sounds or that of any allied caster in order to allow them to cast spells but doing so quietly to avoid detection by enemies. How would this be handled?

B2) If the spell can amplify sounds, how much can it amplify them by? Surely not enough to deafen or cause sonic damage. However, if the bard wants his/her bard song to be heard by a huge army spread across a vast battlefield, could this work for that?

BTW, I'm guessing that if sculpt sound can amplify sound in this manner, bards would likely want to use sculpt sound before any large concerts as well. "This lute goes to 11!"

C) Suppose the spell is used to create a number of extremely noisy objects or characters. Think of a dozen screaming kids, loud barking dogs or some other nuisance that would drive you completely nuts. Though not listed in the spell description, could that impare listen checks to detect other things nearby? Perhaps a circumstance bonus? What about concentration checks?

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Sculpt Sound is a nice little sleeper spell that has a lot of wiggle room for a player and DM. I would rule as follows.

a) Yes it does. Just remember that is suppresses all sound made by the target. This can have consequences if the target is scouting out way in front of the group and is surprised. He might try to yell for help to no avail...

b) I don't see why not. I would use Ghost Sound as a baseline for how much a sound can be amplified, without the upper limit that Ghost Sound has.

b1) I might provide a penalty to a spellcraft check or a listen check for the spell being cast. But the spell targets indiscriminately. You can't have it reduce the level of your spells, but not affect normal chatter, or coordinated actions during the heat of battle. If you reduce the sound of the target to a whisper, they are whispering the entire duration of the spell.

b2) I would allow it to amplify, but it would not extend the distance that many bardic abilities are limited to. Inspire Courage though, just needs to be heard. Sculpt Sound in this case could have an awesome affect on a battlefield. It really depends on how cool you want Bards to be in this case.

As an aside, I might suggest that you pick up the Enchiridion of Mystic Music by ST Cooley. It's a PDF available on RPGNow and has some feats that would allow a Bard to extend the range of bardic music. It has other cool stuff too and I haven't found it to be unbalanced yet. :)

c) Yes! By the rules, hearing people talking is a DC 0 Listen check and a Battle is DC -10. Perhaps backward work it so that it provides a +10 DC to a listen check?

Remove ads