D&D 5E Radiomancy (moving healing/radiant spells to a new type)

Stormonu

Legend
D&D has classically broken spells out in wizard-defined schools of magic. However, lacking access to healing magic, spells like cure wounds have floated through various magical schools over the editions. I'd like to make a spell school, counter to Necromacy - based on the idea that necromancy revolves around spells of the negative material plane/undeath and necrotic damage. This new school would be based on the positive material plane, life-giving magic and radiant-related abilities. I'm not fond of the name Radiomancy (sounds too sci-fi) and would like a better name if I can find it (White Magic, Albusmancy, Niveusation or Niveusmancy - something).

These would be the spells that would change their school to Radiomancy

CANTRIP
Light
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Word of Radiance

1ST LEVEL
Cure Wounds
Divine Favor
Guiding Bolt
Healing Wounds

2ND LEVEL
Aid
Branding Smite
Continual Flame
Lesser Restoration
Prayer of Healing

3RD LEVEL
Aura of Vitality
Beacon of Hope
Blinding Smite
Crusader's Mantle
Daylight
Mass Healing Word
Revivify
Spirit Guardians

4TH LEVEL
Aura of Life
Death Ward
Guardian of Faith

5TH LEVEL
Dawn
Greater Restoration
Holy Weapon
Mass Cure Wounds
Raise Dead
Wall of Light

6TH LEVEL
Heal
Sunbeam

7TH LEVEL
Regenerate
Resurrection

8TH LEVEL
Holy Aura

9TH LEVEL
Mass Heal
True Resurrection

Any that I may have missed, or that should not be part of the above list. Two I purposed excluded was false life, as that seems to infer a sort of vampiric vitality to the user and feels it should remain necrotic, as should transfer life.

4th, 6th and 8th could use some additional spells. Some I am considering:

Sunmelt
4th level Radiomancy
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (A crystal lens worth 25 gp)
Duration: Instantaneous
You call down a focused beam of light to melt enemies. Select a 10-foot diameter area within range. Targets in the area of effect must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 4d10 radiant damage and gains a level of exhaustion. If the target fails the save by 4 or more, it takes two levels of exhaustion instead of one. If the target successfully saves, it takes half damage only.

Dome of Light
6th level Radiomancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self, 20-ft radius
Components: V, S, M (A clear bead of crystal worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: 1 minute
You create a hemispherical dome of shimmering light, extending outward from yourself at a distance out to 20 feet. Any hostile creature in the area of effect when the spell is cast must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, the creature is pushed until it is outside the area of effect and takes 1d6 radiant damage per five feet it is moved.

The dome has the following ongoing effects:
  • Any hostile creature looking at or within the area of effect must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure the target is blinded for 1 minute.
  • Any hostile creature starting or ending its turn within the area of effect takes 1d6 radiant damage. The creature can only take this damage once during its turn.
  • Any allied creature starting its turn in the area of effect that is under half hit points heals 1d6 hit points.
  • Any allied creature ending its turn in the area of effect suffering from the blinded, deafened, poisoned, paralyzed or petrified condition can make a saving throw with advantage to end the effect.

Last edited:

i like niveusation, though it might be a bit tricky to pronounce at first glance. theurgy could work, like you're healing people by melding them with an aspect of divinity or striking them with such.

Scientin

Villager
Looking at necromancy, its etymology comes from the ancient greek word "nekros", referring to a dead body. Ancient greek has two words that can translate to life, those being bios and zoe, and as far as my research can find it seems the best antonym for nekros they have is zōon, meaning a living being/creature. Therefore, if we wanted to make it as close a counterpart to necromancy as possible it should probably be "Zoemancy."

With that said, there's also the ancient greek word "pneuma" which literally means breath, but was also used to refer to spirit or life-force, so perhaps "Pneumamancy" could be neat. Or if we want to lean more into the "light magic" angle, we could use "Phaomancy" from the ancient greek "phaos" for light. Notably "phaos" apparently was also used poetically to refer to the life of men, so that might be the best option.

Reef

Hero
You need to keep it as Radiomancers. Otherwise who would have epic battles with the Videomancers?

(Although I guess we all know how that’s going to end anyway…)

Remove ads