The Problem with Star Wars

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Joshua Dyal said:
Actually, yes, he really is inept and incompetent, at least in the specifics of screenwriting, dialogue, directing and editing.

The proof is in the pudding - and the pudding he's created is among the best loved of all genre films. Darned hard to call that "incompetence". Mind you, I avoid the school of critique that claims that quality can be measured without reference to the audience.

Don't confuse "incompetent" with "some folks don't like it" or "doesn't fit my pet criteria". True incompentence shows in the abysmal failure of the products it produces. In the movie marketplace, his films have not generally been failures. Ergo, as a practical matter, he's not incompetent.

The Serge said:
I think the problem is we have an inept and incompetent director/writer who dominates the entire process and does not take suggestion well.

I think the problem we have is that the films are designed (intentionally or not) for a young audience, and folks critique it as if it is designed for a mature audience.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
While its obvious the whole Joseph Cambell thing has been there from the beginning, I haven't really heard Lucas touting that until lately.

Well, I remember hearing Lucas' touting of the Campbell thing back in... oh, 1989, when I first encountered Campbell. 15 years ago isn't "just lately".

Umbran said:
The proof is in the pudding - and the pudding he's created is among the best loved of all genre films. Darned hard to call that "incompetence". Mind you, I avoid the school of critique that claims that quality can be measured without reference to the audience.
Yes, the original trilogy. The newer movies have been markedly less successful financially, even in absolute terms, to say nothing of normalizing to take into account inflation. It seems much more likely that the newer films are coasting on the success of the franchise rather than that their relatively more limited success is evidence of competent film-making. Of course, I never claimed that he was completely incompetent; some success can also be attributed to his visuals, special effects, etc., and I've said all along that the stories themselves aren't bad. Being incompetent in a few areas doesn't equate to being completely incompetent across the board, and a movie can float on it's strengths to a certain extent despite incompetent handling of other areas. And looking at the financial results of the Star Wars prequels, I'd say that's exactly what's happened; they've floated on the strengths of 1) franchise, 2) special effects, 3) decent story, 4) halfway decent characters, and 5) cultural impetus, yet have spectacularly failed to achieve the same success as the original movies due to the incompetent handling of dialogue, directing and editing (i.e., pacing, tension, chemistry between characters, etc.)
Umbran said:
Don't confuse "incompetent" with "some folks don't like it" or "doesn't fit my pet criteria". True incompentence shows in the abysmal failure of the products it produces. In the movie marketplace, his films have not generally been failures. Ergo, as a practical matter, he's not incompetent.
I have not so confused the meaning of the word incompetent. Features such as dialogue, pacing and tension are subjective, yes, but not completely so. The prequel trilogy shows a noticable level of incompetence in those areas. Also see above. I never said he was incompetent across the board, so yeah, you'd expect the films to have some success.
Umbran said:
I think the problem we have is that the films are designed (intentionally or not) for a young audience, and folks critique it as if it is designed for a mature audience.
How do you design something unintentionally for a different audience? That statement doesn't make any sense. Rather, Lucas is also incompetent in gauging the audience reaction; in other words, he's completely confused about who is target audience really is. He's belatedly said that the movies were always for children (which I think is patently untrue of the original trilogy, and he's only said so after tPM got a lot of criticism for it's infantile attempts at humor, Jar Jar and kiddie Anakin) but then he comes out and makes Revenge of the Sith which will probably get a PG-13 rating, and if not, is at least very dark in tone and events, and has thematic material that is arguably unsuited for children. He's either back-pedalling and making excuses for his failures, or he's completely confused about who his target audience is. Or, quite possibly, both.
Umbran said:
Well, I remember hearing Lucas' touting of the Campbell thing back in... oh, 1989, when I first encountered Campbell. 15 years ago isn't "just lately".
That's relatively recent. Jedi was released in theaters in 1983. Back in the documentaries that were aired during the actual initial run of the movies, I don't recall him mentioning much of Joseph Campbell, but rather serials like Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. It's certainly possible that Lucas was aware of, and consciously utilizing Campbell's theories when he wrote the original screenplays, but if so, he was remarkably quiet about it until someone else pointed it out first. Then, suddenly, that's what they were always all about.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
He's belatedly said that the movies were always for children... but then he comes out and makes Revenge of the Sith which... has thematic material that is arguably unsuited for children.

Star Wars has never really been for children. Body limbs get whacked off at least one per film (random arm in Mos Eisley, Luke's hand, Vader's hand, Maul's torso, Anakin's hand... who's next?), never mind the folks who die in a relatively clean fashion in a flaming ball of spaceship or get shot by blasters. The films have been what the children want because they've got heroic good guys and bad-@$$ bad guys*, the match-up of which didn't get re-rated to PG-13 even though it should've -- just compare any of them (especially RotJ) to Kurosawa's Yojimbo -- so parents blithely think it's okay (possibly due to the proliferation of action figures and trading cards) while kids are giddy with seeing things that they arguably shouldn't, certainly not without having to think about it.

But that hits the nail on the head -- the current films just aren't holding a PG-13 quality storyline together, regardless of their rating. Episode 1 was desperately short on content (anybody remember "The Phantom Edit"?) and Episode 2 was depressingly flat and meandering (why go to Naboo? That'd be like going to Tatooine in the middle of ESB... and for the love of midiclorians, put in a freakin' plot twist!).

I can tell you quite simply that Harrison Ford made the originals watchable -- because he could stand up to the script and ad lib where appropriate. In one of the "making of" interviews for the ANH, one of the actors -- or maybe it was Lucas -- told the story of how Ford was in the middle of a scene and just chokes on a line before spitting out "George, you can write it, but nobody can say this $h|+." That's why people take such hostile exception to Han not shooting first.

::Kaze()

* -- Really, the best loved bad guys -- Maul and Fett -- are the ones with the fewest lines. We only love them because they look cool and don't say enough for us to mock them.

mojo1701

First Post
Mr. Kaze said:
Star Wars has never really been for children.

Umm... I'm not so sure about that. Not specifically, no, but back when it first came out, it was to have received a 'G' rating, and FOX appealed for a rating of 'PG' to not scare away the teenage crowd with the 'G' rating.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have to disagree strongly with this:

"This thinking is flawed from the beginnig, though - it nearly never works that way. Young kids don't dream about being heroic young kids; they dream about being heroic adults. (Btw, that's the reason why nearly every superhero comic featuring kids failed miserably.)"

I have 7 and 9 year old boys. They devour books about kids and small animals as heros, not books about grown ups being heros. If Redwall came out in movie format, I don't think we could avoid seeing it about 1,000,000 times. They were so excited to hear that Mary Pope Osborne was signing books in our area (if you don't know who she is, you don't have kids learning to read chapter books, she writes stories about 2 young kids) that they couldn't even speak when they handed me the sheet from school anouncing the details.

As for SW, I've liked TPM more as I've seen it. I think there were too many scenes (don't know what scenes they were) cut out in AotC to make it flow well. I compare it to the movie version of the LotR movies and the director's cuts. Had I never read the books, I would have gotten lost more than a few times in the story movement. (that said, the LotR movies are much better, I don't want to start that arguement here).

I've enjoyed the movies, not just watching them, but sharing them with my boys. Part of the experience of SW when I was a kid, was sharing the experience of seeing them in the theater with my friends. Now, I have that experience with my boys (of seeing them at home - my youngest wants desperately to see RotS in the theater, but I'm severely doubting I'll let him).

Zaukrie said:
I've enjoyed the movies, not just watching them, but sharing them with my boys. Part of the experience of SW when I was a kid, was sharing the experience of seeing them in the theater with my friends. Now, I have that experience with my boys (of seeing them at home - my youngest wants desperately to see RotS in the theater, but I'm severely doubting I'll let him).
There's something to that. My three year old saw the trailer last night at Robots, so he'll definitely go, but much of it will be over his head. My seven year old is probably only marginally interested, and even then only in the princess (she's a girly girl) and my nine year old has been disinterested in Star Wars for several years, quite probably because the movies simply aren't all that engaging anymore; the older ones are too old and the newer ones just aren't as good. I'm actually hoping that the darker themes will make the movies more interesting to them!

My 18 month old, we'll be leaving at home. I'd actually like to be able to watch the movie myself... ;)

Mr. Kaze

First Post
mojo1701 said:
Umm... I'm not so sure about (Star Wars not being for children). Not specifically, no, but back when it first came out, it was to have received a 'G' rating, and FOX appealed for a rating of 'PG' to not scare away the teenage crowd with the 'G' rating.

Fox: "What? A G rating? What do you think this is, a kid's movie? Look at all of the death and destruction we put in there -- and Chewbacca's not wearing any pants! We demand at least a PG!"

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

::Kaze (remembers Lucas' story about Fox wanting to put pants on Chewbacca...)

The Serge

First Post
Umbran said:
The proof is in the pudding - and the pudding he's created is among the best loved of all genre films. Darned hard to call that "incompetence".
I think I made it pretty clear that Lucas' incompetence comes with his ability to execute as a writer (dialogue and story, not plot/premise), director, and in his capacity to understand human motivation/drama and translate it on the big screen. He has revealed incredible know how in marketing and in moving the technical side of film making to the next level. I think he (and others) have made the mistake of ignoring that his success as a film maker has had little to do with his story telling abilities and more to do with the management/peripheral side of the industry.

Batman and Robin did well financially, but you would be hard pressed to find many people who liked that film. Financial success does not necessarily translate into competence or overall success. In Lucas' case, as I've said before, he created a great foundation upon which he built a successful (forgive the term) empire. His strengths lie in management and in story conceptualization/foundation. His weaknesses like in execution. His is incompetent when it comes to the important story-driven elements of these films.

Not only do I disagree with it, I think it's an insult (not a personal one... I know you're not trying to be rude) to adults and children. Just because something may well be targetted to younger audiences does not immediately relegate it to being simplistic or having little of value to older audiences. A quality family experience will have enough simplistic elements that convey universal themes and morals (Western, if you want to be picky).

A New Hope is an example of this. In this film, Lucas was forced to concentrate on story because he wasn't going to get all of the great effects he envisioned. As part of this, he tapped (consciously or no) into archetypes that transcend most cultures. Thus, on the one hand we do have the simplistic shoot-em-up action and fun that will draw children in addition to universal themes like the desire to define one's self, the search for one's heritage and meaning, defense against oppression, etc. The Empire Strikes Back takes these themes and intensifies them and is argumentatively both more sophisticated in its set up while also being far more visually stimulating.

Lucas fails to accomplish the feat of these two films in each subsequent sequels/prequels. While the fx have improved and the stories became more complex (there's a lot of great story to be had in these prequels), Lucas instead focuses on pushing the standard of film technology (I remember the big to-do with the fact that AotC was completely digital... the first of its kind I believe) and on the marketing side (CGI, Jar-Jar, the pod racing, the aliens... All of these feed into the marketing side far more than into the story side). As a result, the stories, the direction, the characterization, and the great plot suffered. This is sheer incompetence that stopped these sequels from being the great, holistic experiences they could and should have been to the entertaining, yet largely empty lemons they are.

The Serge said:
I think he (and others) have made the mistake of ignoring that his success as a film maker has had little to do with his story telling abilities and more to do with the management/peripheral side of the industry.

Quick! Someone go and tell Lucas that A New Hope wasn't successful in its of telling a story!

Really, you can't prove any claims like that one way or the other.

The Serge

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Quick! Someone go and tell Lucas that A New Hope wasn't successful in its of telling a story!
:) Are you intentionally not reading the entirety of my posts? In the post that you quote I specifically state that ANH is successful, the reasons why, and the reasons why RotJ, TPM, and AotC are not as successful as stories. Please, I don't mind having these kinds of discussions (enjoy them, in fact), but at least read the entire post before responding.

Really, you can't prove any claims like that one way or the other.
Not sure that I agree with that, but by your rationale, nor can you disprove them. That's why we're having this discussion.

Remove ads