Star Wars Fan Film - Wingman

Recently stumbled upon a new Star Wars fan film.
This one might be particularly neat for people that are all about the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, or maybe the new Squadrons game. It's on the longer side of fan movies, short over 50 minutes.

Apparently ,the people making it are from Baden in Germany and spent 7 years on it. Hadn't heard of them before.

The space action is obviously all CGI, and looks pretty good. I think only the Lambda-Shuttle looked a bit too CGI-clean, compared to the other ships that all had the more industrial and weathered look. It might have been intentional, but feels too much.
The cockpit set is pretty convincing. I later saw a reel on the same youtube account where they showed off their cockpit, and I genuinely believed it would have been more "complete.", so not only where the props good, they also did a good job of setting it in scene.

Narrative-Wise, I think they manage to setup the fight and give us good idea on who is fighting and where people generally are (as good as possible at least in 3D space combat scenario). They also set up the mood right at the start that immediately made me think they got something. Definitely felt more the gritty and ruthless Andor-Style mood, but in space.

The narration of the shell-shocked pilot at the end was weird, though, at first I thought he had gone finally bonkers and was talking to the dead T/F of Richthofen or something.
Also, who really asks for a surrender in space fight after fighting has started?
Speaking of T/F Richthofen, man that was a lucky bastard. Maybe the movie needed to be shorted or had at least one less engagement involving him?
Overerall the story worked without any big logic gap, the stakes for the pilots were clear and it flowed well.

Acting-Wise, it had some uneven parts, but was overall fairly good. The different pilots definitely each had their own character.

Overall, looked really good and was very enjoyable.

Remove ads