Wes Anderson Films, Ranked

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Having not posted a thread in a little while, and having a short period of time on my hands, I thought I'd put up the following for discussion and/or debate!

Today's topic .... Wes Anderson movies. As a general rule, I have found that people either love, or hate, Wes Anderson ... with few people falling into the "meh" category. That said, I am one of those people that definitely fall into the "love" category. In my opinion, he is one of the few directors working that I make sure to see every single new release; simply knowing that he was the director of a film is enough to make me go and see it.

While I normally have "rules" for these types of things, this is very simple- it has to be a Wes Anderson movie. It cannot be a commercial. It cannot be a short. It cannot be a "short movie" (which includes the charming trilogy of Roald Dahl adaptations recently released on Netflix ... if you have seventeen minutes, watch The Ratcatcher). All movies are included, whether animated (stop motion) or not. This will include all eleven of his feature length films, from Bottle Rocket to Asteroid City, and will be listen in order of awesomeness, with #11 being the least awesome.

11. Bottle Rocket. His first film is good, but rough, and shows a director still trying to find his voice. You can see hints of his style that he would later employ, but it just isn't there yet.

10. Darjeeling Limited. While the film definitely has all of his usual trademarks, and is a riot of color with many memorable scenes, it just hasn't aged as well as his other films. The characters aren't great, and his twee style doesn't work as well for a story that occasionally veers into colonialist themes.

9. Isle of Dogs. Amazing animation, but (in much the same way as Darjeeling Limited) certain aspects of the film just feel ... off. At best, though, it's a fun if light entry in his works.

8. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zisou. This is where the rankings get difficult. This is a masterpiece, with a killer soundtrack. For any other director, this could be thier finest film. For Wes Anderson, though, it felt a little bit like he was hitting the "Why doesn't my Dad love me?" theme once too often.

7. Rushmore. A controversial ranking; many people find it one of his best films, but while it is quite good, I don't find that it ranks as highly as the more mature movies he did later. Still, Jason Schwartzman's performance is amazing.

6. Moonrise Kingdom. No notes. A perfect movie in many ways, just not as great as the next few movies.

5. Fantastic Mr. Fox. Pure unadultered fun.

4. Asteroid City. Perhaps the greatest existentialist movie I have seen in a while, and one that firmly places the issues of art and the questions of why we do anything (with a side-dose of COVID-19) squarely in its sights.

3. The Royal Tennenbaums. Arguably, the most "Wes" of all of his films.

2. The French Dispatch. An anthology movie that somehow makes all three parts great, and the whole even greater than the sum of the parts.

1. Grand Budapest Hotel. There are few movies that I return to again and again; this is on the short list. The themes of this movie are the perfect marriage of Wes's form to the theme's function. It's beautiful, thoughtful, funny, and deeply sad.

pukunui

Legend
I might quibble with a ranking here or there, but overall I would say I agree with this list. I have to admit I haven't seen The French Dispatch or Asteroid City yet, though.

Idea for your next thread: Coen Brothers films, ranked.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I love Wes Anderson, his style really works for me. I can't really rank them in order since they've meant different things to me at different points in my life, but I'll identify my top few:

Most Connected With My Youth: Rushmore

I was in a failing high school that had an interesting attempt at a mixed English / History / Tech program, but fired the teachers who started it and hired absolutely useless teachers when I started. My friends and I basically taught ourselves how to film and edit movies, and did not learn anything about history or English writing or literature. I both connect a lot with Max's ambitions, and connect with this film because I used the soundtrack for a movie I made during those years.

Movie That Feels Like It Was Personally Made For Me: Life Aquatic

This one feels like Wes Anderson had a long conversation with me and then made a movie he thought I would enjoy. The stop motion animation, creativity of the ship, David Bowie covers, father issues, makeshift family, a focus on film making... It just hits my heart. I would totally understand if this movie didn't work for someone else, but I love it dearly.

Movie I Most Feel Like Will Still Be Watched in 100 Years: Royal Tanenbaums

This movie feels like both the blueprint for all the Wes Anderson movies that will come after, and a clear explanation of his thesis. This is the film I feel like film students in the year 2124 will still be watching and appreciating. It's both personal and epic, heartbreaking and heartwarming. And Gene Hackman is just so good!

Movie I Feel Is the Peak Anderson: Grand Budapest Hotel

This one has everything! The colors! The miniatures! The layered narratives! The great acting! And yet is also has a deep heart I feel is sometimes missing from his most recent works. The relationship between the hotel manager and the main character is really fantastic, and it's one of those movies you wish you could pause and warn the characters to stop here while they're still happy. Just a great movie.

aco175

Legend
I think I seen part of The Royal Tennenbaums, but the others do not sound like anything I have seen. If I recall rightly, there was a reason I seen only part of that movie.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I like Wes Anderson films enough, but don’t love em. Probably a few levels above meh. Rushmore is the one I’ll revisit from time to time.

Looking forward to Cohen Brothers list.

While I normally have "rules" for these types of things, this is very simple- it has to be a Wes Anderson movie. It cannot be a commercial. It cannot be a short. It cannot be a "short movie" (which includes the charming trilogy of Roald Dahl adaptations recently released on Netflix ... if you have seventeen minutes, watch The Ratcatcher).

There were 4 shorts based on Dahl books, not a trilogy...
I assume that's just a typo, but in case not, there's one you may have missed...

The Rat Catcher
The Swan
Poison
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
There were 4 shorts based on Dahl books, not a trilogy...
I assume that's just a typo, but in case not, there's one you may have missed...

The Rat Catcher
The Swan
Poison
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

So I wanted to thank you- while I'd like to say it was a typo, for some reason I had it in my head that there were only three!

Which means that tomorrow (I'm watching football tonight) I have something to look forward to watching! Apparently, I have yet to see The Swan. :)

So I wanted to thank you- while I'd like to say it was a typo, for some reason I had it in my head that there were only three!

Which means that tomorrow (I'm watching football tonight) I have something to look forward to watching! Apparently, I have yet to see The Swan. :)

The funny thing is, I still haven't watched The Swan either.
I think I was saving it for when I might need a little dose of Anderson, but never got around to it.

Netflix are really bad at advertising their shows, why the four shorts weren't packaged together in one menu is still a mystery to me.

Remove ads