Top 50 Movies of the 21st Century! YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT'S NUMBER ONE

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Was the title clickbait-y enough? Although honestly, you really won't believe what's number one.

You've been waiting for it ... another list from me, complete with a lengthy (and quickly ignored) set of rules as to how the list came about.

HA HA!

The masochist says, Hurt me.
The sadist replies, No.

Instead, I am presenting for your edification and discussion, the following list from the Hollywood Reporter:

So, why this list? Because I think it's a genuinely interesting list. I'm pretty into movies, and not only have I not seen every movie on this list, there are a few that I hadn't even heard of. Which shocked me. So if nothing else, this list provides an excellent source for hunting down some movies to watch.

But it also provides a great starting point for conversation. What makes a movie great? Let's take the Number 29 movie- The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. I remember taking a friend to watch this movie. And it was undoubtedly a very good movie. But it was also punishing. So punishing that afterwards, my friend said I didn't get to pick movies for another year.

For that matter, how do you compare movies across genres? As you look at this list, you'll see that some genres are almost completely absent- sure, there are some comedies (Bridesmaids) and horror movies (Pan's Labyrinth), but generally genre movies are underrepresented. For that matter, how do you generally rank movies? The only superhero movie on this list is Black Panther, and I really really liked that movie ... but is that really the best super hero move of the 21st Century?

There are other notable omissions as well. I find it hard to believe that Tarantino doesn't have a single movie on the list. After all, he is one of the most important directors we have, and the majority of his films (everything except Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown) and not a single one? For that matter, what about Wes Anderson and Grand Budapest Hotel?

And then there are some placements I just don't understand. I won't spoil the rankings, but Inside Llewyn Davis is a decent movie, but I wouldn't even have it as the best (or second- or third-best) Coen brothers movie of the 21st century. And while Brokeback Mountain was a decent movie, and important, I wouldn't have it on my own top 50.

Anyway, the point of this is discussion. What do you think of this list? What do you think of these types of lists in general, and, for that matter, trying to rank or even ascertain what makes for the "best" films?

Last edited:

This looks a bit to me like a critic's list for critics, which is fine. I think it knows what kind of list it is putting together and has a point of view, which I don't object to. That said if I put such a list together myself, it would include a lot more genre films and more films that had very lasting cultural impact (some movies on the list I am sure are great, but I don't think many people have heard of them). Even one like Manchester by the Sea (and I am a Boston movie fan) is one where I don't really hear anyone bring it up much in conversation about movies.

Again though. I don't think the list is wrong or bad, as they are clearly using much different criteria than I would probably prioritize. For me the things I would way are: the movie's significance and impact, how I was emotionally impacted by the movie (I need a movie to move me in some way to leave an impression), how the movie looked and felt, and how much I couldn't stop thinking about it after watching it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Was the title clickbait-y enough? Although honestly, you really won't believe what's number one.

You've been waiting for it ... another list from me, complete with a lengthy (and quickly ignored) set of rules as to how the list came about.

HA HA!

The masochist says, Hurt me.
The sadist replies, No.

Instead, I am presenting for your edification and discussion, the following list from the Hollywood Reporter:

So, why this list? Because I think it's a genuinely interesting list. I'm pretty into movies, and not only have I not seen every movie on this list, there are a few that I hadn't even heard of. Which shocked me. So if nothing else, this list provides an excellent source for hunting down some movies to watch.
I agree, a pretty interesting list. The variety is astonishing.
But it also provides a great starting point for conversation. What makes a movie great? Let's take the Number 29 movie- The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. I remember taking a friend to watch this movie. And it was undoubtedly a very good movie. But it was also punishing. So punishing that afterwards, my friend said I didn't get to pick movies for another year.

For that matter, how do you compare movies across genres? As you look at this list, you'll see that some genres are almost completely absent- sure, there are some comedies (Bridesmaids) and horror movies (Pan's Labyrinth), but generally genre movies are underrepresented. For that matter, how do you generally rank movies? The only superhero movie on this list is Black Panther, and I really really liked that movie ... but is that really the best super hero move of the 21st Century?
The one thing I really like about this list is how forward the writer was about making it. 6 folks, voting up and down to cull a large list, with a focus on "model of representational balance..." The criteria helps give context to why the films were chosen. I would agree that I dont think Black Panther is the best Supers flick, but it had an enormous cultural impact and I think that has a lot to do with its stature in cinema; particularly for this list.

Often, these lists have no context. You might have "best 50 Sci-Fi movies" and for some reason Wild Wild West makes the list. You try and make sense in comparison of other films like Dune and are just left head scratching. It's like the details are left out to induce incendiary commentary. :cautious:

Personally, I like to rank genre movies against themselves. I think that is the best comparison you can make. However, I think great films can transcend genre and make best of X lists easily. Its all in the context of the list creation and individual descriptions of such films. I think genre films have guilt by association. For every great genre film there is a hundred B level drive in flicks in the pile. It can often dampen their glow.
There are other notable omissions as well. I find it hard to believe that Tarantino doesn't have a single movie on the list. After all, he is one of the most important directors we have, and the majority of his films (everything except Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown) and not a single one?
Im actually ok with this. I haven't really liked a QT film in over 20 years. Typically, its a lot of schlock wrapped around one incredible scene. That does not a great film make. Also, I feel his subject matter is a bit objectionable.
For that matter, what about Wes Anderson and Grand Budapest Hotel?
I really enjoy Wes Anderson films, but have not spent enough time digesting them. Cant say I disagree on this one.
And then there are some placements I just don't understand. I won't spoil the rankings, but Inside Llewyn Davis is a decent movie, but I wouldn't even have it as the best (or second- or third-best) Coen brothers movie of the 21st century. And while Brokeback Mountain was a decent movie, and important, I wouldn't have it on my own top 50.

Anyway, the point of this is discussion. What do you think of this list? What do you think of these types of lists in general, and, for that matter, trying to rank or even ascertain what makes for the "best" films?
I already mentioned how important I think context is for these types of lists. Brokeback Mountain is on it for its representational value. I apreciate understanding why its on the list, and also why its bumped some other great 21st century films. The proof of these things in in the pudding. A good and explained criteria makes for a good and valuable list. Lack of context and too many cooks makes for a pretty bad list. Though, likely a good one for twitter fodder. I prefer to have conversations that have depth and understanding; which is why im not on twitter. YMMV.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I already mentioned how important I think context is for these types of lists. Brokeback Mountain is on it for its representational value. I apreciate understanding why its on the list, and also why its bumped some other great 21st century films. The proof of these things in in the pudding. A good and explained criteria makes for a good and valuable list. Lack of context and too many cooks makes for a pretty bad list. Though, likely a good one for twitter fodder. I prefer to have conversations that have depth and understanding; which is why im not on twitter. YMMV.

So that's one of the befuddling things to me about this list (as much as I enjoy it). On the one hand, it does seem to rank cultural importance very highly- hence Black Panther and Brokeback Mountain. On the other hand, it seems to completely disregard cultural importance for the vast majority of the list. And it's hard for me to reconcile those two things.

Here's an interesting question- what is the most culturally important superhero movie of the 21st century? I would say that it comes down to two, and only two, choices-
Spider-Man or Iron Man.

And, arguably, one (or both?) of those movies would be in any culturally important top 50 list, given that they made the genre that has defined the cinema experience this century. The only real question is whether you go with the movie that made the genre a real box office draw again, or whether you go with the movie that kicked off the MCU as viable proposition (and thus started the long chain of dominoes to where we are today). As for Brokeback Mountain, I would argue both Moonlight and Carol are much better films.

I think that's what I find fascinating about this list- it's not that it's wrong, per se. The movies on it that I've seen are quite good, and I want to see the movies on it I haven't seen. Instead, it's just that it's exceedingly odd.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
So that's one of the befuddling things to me about this list (as much as I enjoy it). On the one hand, it does seem to rank cultural importance very highly- hence Black Panther and Brokeback Mountain. On the other hand, it seems to completely disregard cultural importance for the vast majority of the list. And it's hard for me to reconcile those two things.

Here's an interesting question- what is the most culturally important superhero movie of the 21st century? I would say that it comes down to two, and only two, choices-
Spider-Man or Iron Man.
And, arguably, one (or both?) of those movies would be in any culturally important top 50 list, given that they made the genre that has defined the cinema experience this century. The only real question is whether you go with the movie that made the genre a real box office draw again, or whether you go with the movie that kicked off the MCU as viable proposition (and thus started the long chain of dominoes to where we are today). As for Brokeback Mountain, I would argue both Moonlight and Carol are much better films.
I'd say these are genre defining cultural moments and not representation defining moments. That seems to be an important distinction to this list's creation.
I think that's what I find fascinating about this list- it's not that it's wrong, per se. The movies on it that I've seen are quite good, and I want to see the movies on it I haven't seen. Instead, it's just that it's exceedingly odd.
When you have 6 people coming to a consensus you get a real odd soup. You should see some of these lists that allow 100 folks to judge or even anybody on the net!

Clint_L

Hero
I feel like I know movies fairly well, and I am familiar with broadly half that list, though I know the others by reputation. I agree with the point that this is largely a (certain type of) critic's list, with an emphasis on psychological exploration. There are few bad movies there (Notable exception: Grizzly Man, which is both bad and ethically execrable), but quite a few that I found unremarkable (typical example: Bright Star, which is pedigreed, predictable and ultimately kind of flat. And I write that as someone who wrote my honour's thesis on Keats, once upon a time). I was most shocked by the high placement of Zodiac, a film which I found to be...fine...but almost more like a Netflix series than a great film (in fact, it's like a prototype for Mindhunter, the very good but hardly groundbreaking, Fincher-produced Netflix series).

Some are inarguable - In the Mood for Love, Boyhood - but others aren't films that (IMO) will be considered classics decades hence. For genre films, Black Panther as the Marvel movie is a predictable, safe choice. No Dark Knight is a little embarrassing for them, as is the lack of Fellowship of the Ring. Two animated films? Okay.

I dunno. Safe list written by people with a certain kind of reputation to uphold. Kind of boring.

MGibster

Legend
No, the best superhero movie would be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I must confess, I've only seen a handful of the movies on that list and was pretty surprised to find a horror movie. When it comes to movies, I take a page from Roger Ebert and I judge them based on what they're trying to accomplish. A comedy that makes me laugh is a far better movie than a drama that fails to make any impact.

You've got to take these lists with a grain of salt. For one thing, what makes the top 50 will change, not just because new movies will come out, but because tastes and trends change. If I tell someone High Noon, The Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are great westerns, someone is going to come around and complain about the acting style, that two of them were filmed in black & white, or come up with other complaints.

And let's face it, all of y'all like movies for illogical reasons. The reasons I like a movie are all based on objective observable truths and it's just a shame many of you don't realize that.

It does seem to be using a pretty unusual. I actually missed Brokeback Mountain being on the list.

It might be interesting to see people put up their own post 2000 top movie lists

Spider-Man or Iron Man.

Keep in mind I can't stand superhero movies. But the one that seemed to move them from being relegated to stuff like Tim Burton's Batman and led to what we have today, is the 2002 Spiderman with Tobey Maguire. I also think the Dark Knight was pretty significant culturally (also a superhero movie that I enjoyed), and I agree Iron Man (though as much as I love Robert Downey Jr as a performer, I can't stand that kind of dialogue and storyline---but I get why people like it and why it had an impact).

No, the best superhero movie would be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I must confess, I've only seen a handful of the movies on that list and was pretty surprised to find a horror movie.

If we're going all the way back to 2000*, we have to include the Tobey Maguire SpiderMan 2 and Nolan's Dark Knight. As far as superhero movies go, those should be right up there at the top. It's easy to forget there was an era of superhero movies that was post 90s but also pre-MCU.

I was also happy to see a horror movie on the list. Although, I'll have to argue with that as well. I agree that Get Out is an amazing horror movie, and also a great film in both it's cinematics and it's cultural impact/implications. But if we're going back to 2000*, the two absolutely best horror movies are The Ring and Heredity. They are simply unparalleled in the genre. FWIW, I would consider Pan's Labyrinth to be fantasy, not horror (YMMV).

The only reason I am taking this article seriously is because they included Wall-E and Spirited Away. As far are representing the animation genre, those two are the perfect choices. Spot on.

*To be pedantic, I would expect the "21st century" to start at 2001. But it looks like their #1 spot is from 2000. So I guess that's where they start.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My first born is a sophomore in high school and I have been too chicken to see "Boyhood," which I know is going to wreck me like a 2 x 4 to the head. Maybe some day.

Remove ads