The 50 Best Television Shows of this Century!

Zardnaar

Legend
Just another list representing upper middle class American snobs. Very heavily drama vases.

Game of Thrones probably deserves to be there even with its ending if your counting cultural impact/event.

Survivor. I'll admit I like it it's my secret trash TV Shane. It deserves to be there imho still rates comparatively well one of the biggest shows on Paramount Plus. Surprised it made the list.

Some British stuff probably needs to be there. Taskmaster, one of the panel shows etc. As I said very American very snobby.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just another list representing upper middle class American snobs. Very heavily drama vases.

Game of Thrones probably deserves to be there even with its ending if your counting cultural impact/event.

Survivor. I'll admit I like it it's my secret trash TV Shane. It deserves to be there imho still rates comparatively well one of the biggest shows on Paramount Plus. Surprised it made the list.

Some British stuff probably needs to be there. Taskmaster, one of the panel shows etc. As I said very American very snobby.
This response has been invalidated for not following the newly instituted opinion suplex format.
oh my god wow GIF by WWE

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Funny thing about WD is it feels like the zombie of TV shows. Internet webisdoes, spin off series, talk shows, etc...
I loved the show for many seasons, for many reasons. But I stopped watching cold turkey when Neegan survived the season ending assault. And I never watched any of the spin-offs.

GreyLord

Legend
Missed some that were pretty big shows. Obviously their best does not coincide with other's best.

Magnum P.I. (How could they MISS this one)

Not one of my favorites...but

NCIS (I know so many people who love this show for some reason I cannot fathom).

Then there is

Hawaii Five-O (another big one from what I can tell).

Of course, someone mentioned it above already...for those who are more into nostalgia and Sci-Fi Horror...

Stranger Things (Seriously, they left this off the list???)

My personal one which I really enjoy, but they probably wouldn't include would be

Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

Also how could they not include ANY of the New Star Treks? Though I love Magnum, we ALL know the REAL thing that is actually keeping Paramount afloat is the Star Trek shows.

Also...can't forgive them for ignoring British shows...

Doctor Who for one.

Luther for another (Okay, Luther may not be as well known or as big...so maybe it shouldn't be on the List, but how can we not just mention it???).

Zardnaar

Legend
Missed some that were pretty big shows. Obviously their best does not coincide with other's best.

Not one of my favorites...but

NCIS (I know so many people who love this show for some reason I cannot fathom).

Then there is

Hawaii Five-O (another big one from what I can tell).

Of course, someone mentioned it above already...for those who are more into nostalgia and Sci-Fi Horror...

Stranger Things (Seriously, they left this off the list???)

My personal one which I really enjoy, but they probably wouldn't include would be

Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

Also how could they not include ANY of the New Star Treks? Though I love Magnum, we ALL know the REAL thing that is actually keeping Paramount afloat is the Star Trek shows.

Also...can't forgive them for ignoring British shows...

Doctor Who for one.

Luther for another (Okay, Luther may not be as well known or as big...so maybe it shouldn't be on the List, but how can we not just mention it???).

I would include SG Atlantis but sci fi shows don't do well here. Dr Who is to inconsistent.

Justified should be on the list imho.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
That's right, I stumbled across the Best 50 TV Shows of this Century ... as determined by the critics of the Hollywood Reporter. Now, let me start by saying that I don't necessarily agree with every selection, or with the placement of every show, but I think that you could do a lot worse than just watching the shows on this list that you haven't seen yet.

All that said, what were the arbitrary and capricious rules that they used?
1. Any show that had any episodes that aired after Dec. 31, 1999, was eligible. But only for the episodes that aired after that date. Which meant that Buffy would lose the first 3 1/2 seasons. Yeah.
2. Only English-language shows.

You're really that big a fan of the 2018 reboot?

Shows I Would Have Found A Way to Include:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
If this is not on their list, it is a crime against humanity. Not everyone's cup of tea I get that, but on a list of the top 50 from the 21st century? It has to make that list
Shows That I Was Somewhat Puzzled by the Inclusion (not that these are bad shows ... at all! Just that I would have chosen other shows):
48. South Side
47. Vida
46. The Underground Railroad
34. Jane The Virgin. Eh.
23. Survivor. This show is super popular. And other than that, I have been told that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.
22. Better Things. It's a good show. Sometimes really good. Just not a top 50 for me.
18. Friday Night Lights. Unpopular opinion. The show is fine. But a wee bit overrated.
13. 30 for 30. It's fine! It's not one of my 50 best.
I don't know any of these shows (nothing against them but this is the first I am hearing of any except Friday Night Lights

11. The Daily Show. Nope. If I had made the list, it would have been fiction only. Suck it, reality TV and faux news programs.

Agreed. 100% agree on this. The format is totally different, it is based on news (yes it is comedy and there is writing but it should be on a different list.

The Top 10, with brief notes-
10. Bojack Horseman. No notes. Perfect show.
9. Freaks and Geeks. OBJECTION! It had one season, and one third of its one season aired before the cutoff. It's a great show, but rules are rules. Shouldn't be on the list.
8. Girls. Totally should be on the list; question if it should be in the top 10.
7. Better Call Saul. Can't argue with this. For reference, Breaking Bad is 16. Argue amongst yourselves as to whether this is an outrage, or This Is The Way.
6. Reservation Dogs. Love it. Surprised and gratified to see it in the top 10.
5. The Wire. Perfect. No notes.
4. 30 Rock. Top 50 show, sure. Not top 10.
3. Succession. Oooh ..... okay. Number 3? Top 10, probably. But 3?
2. The Sopranos. Rules mean you lose Season 1. So ... still, can't argue.
1. Mad Men. Seems fair.
I haven't seen mad men so I can't say if it should beat Sopranos or not. But if Sopranos is only being beaten by a show I haven't seen, that doesn't bother me.

I do think 30 rock belongs here. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought the comedy writing was very good on it, and it stands out in my memory the way a handful of other shows do

Remove ads