Traveller d20 Starship construction and combat system

Olive

Explorer
Ok, so people keep suggesting this book's system.

Tell me more about it!

Can I use it with the d20 Modern class system?

I've been told that it gives everyone a role. How true is this? Care to give detail?

How easy would it be to convert into the D20 Modern wealth system (which I like)...

Sell me on this really expensive book!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Have you ever played the original Traveller? (aka Classic Traveller)?

It's pretty much the same. At least the ship construction system.

You could port it to d20 Modern via the chart that lists the credit/$ prices for each DC.

(If you weren't in ostralya, I'd be happy to sell you my copy of it really cheap. But oy, sending stuff to Canada is a nightmare)

Fate Lawson

First Post
Olive said:
Can I use it with the d20 Modern class system?

The Ship Construction and Combat System is independent of the Class systems, although I would recommend taking a good look at the skill list and map some of them onto the Modern classes.

I've been told that it gives everyone a role. How true is this? Care to give detail?

Yep, there are plenty of "Bridge Roles" to go around. With a well designed team of four to six characters, no player should be left sitting around twiddleing their thumbs while the "Pilot" and "Gunner" have all of the fun. Just a few of the roles: Captain/Commander; Pilot/Driver; Astrogator; Communications Operator; Computer Operator; Sensor Operator; Gunner(s); Engineer/Mechanic; Damage Control Officer. All of them have two or more actions they can take during a combat round to affect the outcome.

Vehicle/Starship Combat comes in 2 levels: Basic and Advanced. The Basic doesn't require a map, and everything in based on relative range and position. Advanced Combat is actually broken down even further into Tactical and Strategic Level. In Space Combat the Tactical round is 1 minute and kicks into effect at distances of 37.5 km to 750 km. The Strategic round eguals 20 minutes and kicks in for distances from 750 km. to 15,000 km. Space is big and combat can take place at looooong distances. There are rules for when to switch from Tactical to Strategic and how to mesh the two.

How easy would it be to convert into the D20 Modern wealth system (which I like)...

Multiply all Cr values by $3 and consult the proper table in Modern....Done.

And let's just say that if you want detailed starship construction, I have yet to see anything published for d20 that has ever been as detailed. Although the original Stryker rules are still the most detailed, they ain't d20. ;)

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Olive said:
I am too lazy to explain my opinion in detail, but I think it's not worth buying the book just for the starship combat and construction rules. I would rather buy (or at least take a look to) some Blood & Space PDFs, which are meant to be compatible with d20 M/F.

Olive

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Have you ever played the original Traveller? (aka Classic Traveller)?

No... sorry.

(If you weren't in ostralya, I'd be happy to sell you my copy of it really cheap. But oy, sending stuff to Canada is a nightmare)

Hmmm... well good thing I'm not in Canada then! If this is a serious offer, send me an email and maybe we can work it out.

Turanil said:
I am too lazy to explain my opinion in detail, but I think it's not worth buying the book just for the starship combat and construction rules.

Ok, what else is worth getting in the book? I like the current D20M classes a lot myself, but how about the gear etc? Could that be ported over?

I would rather buy (or at least take a look to) some Blood & Space PDFs, which are meant to be compatible with d20 M/F.

Well, the new ones are, but the ship construction book isn't out for a while. I'm not even sure it's been writen yet!

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Olive said:
Ok, what else is worth getting in the book? I like the current D20M classes a lot myself, but how about the gear etc? Could that be ported over?

It was written right before d20Modern, so it's more like an OGL product. But, it's all d20, and could work fairly easily. *shrug* I haven't played using T20, so I have not tested it.

Aussiegamer

First Post
They have a free down load of what they call traveller d20 lite, which is like a taste of several things including ships and building them.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm still crossing my fingers hoping Vig will start work on RPGOs ship construction rules. I have the B&S stuff and am not even currently playing a future game.

I'd do it myself, but that's what he gets paid the big bucks for, right. ;)

--fje

jeff37923

First Post
Turanil said:
I am too lazy to explain my opinion in detail, but I think it's not worth buying the book just for the starship combat and construction rules.

But it is worth buying T20 for the complete world generation rules, prior history rules, vehicle combat & construction rules, and the starship combat & construction rules (all of which are not in d20F). T20 is pricey (unless you buy it on Amazon, where the lowest current price is $25 and some change), but you get a complete system for that price instead of having to buy several books to get a complete system (which costs more).

Shadowdancer

First Post
Based on all the stuff you get in the T20 book (ship and vehicle design rules, prior history, star system design rules, cargo buying and selling, creature design rules, space combat, etc.), it is the best value of any d20 non-core rules book on the market, IMHO. It is pricey, but it is packed with stuff you can use without using the Traveller class or setting.

Anyone who plays any sort of futuristic, space-based d20 game should own the T20 book.

Remove ads