Grading the Warhammer (40K, etc) System

How do you feel about the Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay System?

• I love it.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 2 4.2%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Have you ever used the Warhammer 40,000 System for any tabletop games? If you've played Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, Only War, or Wrath & Glory, you've used this system or one of its derivatives. Wikipedia says the following about it:

Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay is a role-playing game system with multiple source books set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe. The first game using the system, Dark Heresy, was created by Black Industries, which closed soon after the initial release. Official support by Fantasy Flight Games was discontinued in September 2016. The license was later acquired by Ulisses Spiele, who published a new game, Wrath & Glory, in 2018.
For Fantasy Flight developed material, the Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay system is explained and used with small differences in a series of five independently playable games. Each has a different, narrow focus and multiple supporting books of its own.
When the Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay license was transitioned to Ulisses, the system was re-designed. The first campaign under the new developer is Wrath & Glory, which allows player characters of many different races and backgrounds, and implements a card deck system that is used alongside traditional dice rolling.

As I've said before in the other threads, the D20 System is the undeniable favorite for tabletop RPGs today, but there are plenty of options out there for those who don't like D20 or might be looking for something different. My goal in these little surveys is to highlight the different systems and options available to tabletop fans...we aren't here to bash anyone's favorites. So! If you've used the Warhammer 40,000 RPG System, I'd really like to hear about your experience. What did you like/dislike about it? What games did you play? And if you've never played it or one of the many successful games that use it, what's stopping you? I'll collect everyone's votes and give the system a "grade" from A+ to F, just for fun.

Grade: B-
Of those who voted, 96% have heard of it and about half (52%) have played it.
Of those who have played it: 21% love it, 33% like it, 25% are lukewarm, 21% dislike it, and 0% hate it.

The "grade" is calculated as follows:
  • Votes from people who have not played it will not affect the grade.
  • "I love it" votes are worth 4 points. The highest score, comparable to an "A" vote.
  • "It's pretty good" votes are worth 3 points. The equivalent of a "B" vote.
  • "It's alright I guess" votes are worth 2 points. This is your basic "C" vote.
  • "It's pretty bad" votes are worth 1 point. This is considered a "D" vote.
  • "I hate it" votes are worth 0 points. The lowest score, considered an "F" vote.

The grading formula:
GPA = Σ(PiVi)

where:
GPA = "grade-point average," the grading score used in the Key below.​
Vi = percentage of votes in each category (Love, Like, Meh, Dislike, or Hate)​
Pi = corresponding score for that category (4, 3, 2, 1, or 0)​

Key
Over 3.75 = A+
3.51 to 3.75 = A
3.26 to 3.50 = A-
3.01 to 3.25 = B+
2.76 to 3.00 = B
2.51 to 2.75 = B-
2.26 to 2.50 = C+
1.76 to 2.25 = C
1.51 to 1.75 = C-
1.26 to 1.50 = D+
1.01 to 1.25 = D
0.75 to 1.00 = D-
Under 0.75 = F
Grading the Cypher System
Grading the Pathfinder 2E (D20) System
Grading the Savage Worlds System
Grading the Fate/Fate Core System
Grading the Modiphius 2d20 System
Grading the GURPS System
Grading the Powered by the Apocalypse System
Grading the D6 System
Grading the Hero System
Grading the Storyteller System
Grading the Megaversal/Palladium System
Grading the Basic Role-Playing System
Grading the SAGA System
Grading the Warhammer 40K RPG System
Grading the Mörk Borg System
Grading the Spacemaster/Rolemaster System

Last edited:

Tutara

Adventurer
I think you need to break this down into separate systems, because that is what they are rather than a single ‘Warhammer system’.

It’s a bit like saying ‘How do you feel about the Cthulhu system?’ and then lumping Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Achtung Cthulhu and so on all together.

Including Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which is very much its own thing, creates further confusion.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I have to agree with @overgeeked - best to include them separately. I actually peeked into this thread to see the links and see when I missed WFRP (which I would comment on).

TBH, I didn't even know that 40k had an RPG, although it doesn't surprise me. I just always think of it as the miniatures. But WFRP (especially with some of the ... disparate editions) will definitely get some opinions.

Weiley31

Legend
I've always been curious about Wrath and Glory. Especially with the Absolver's chapter book being released for it.

also want an excuse to use the book to play a Blood Raven or some crap instead of the Absolvers.

Remove ads