• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite pre-2000 A.D superhero movies

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay, So I'm curious to know what my fellow ENWorlders favorite hero/superhero movies are from the last century. I'll start with mine.

5. Batman (1989)
4. Superman III
3. Blade
2. Darkman
1. Superman

Brakkart

First Post
1. Superman/Superman II (in effect two halves of the same movie imho)
2. Batman (1989) (Even though Joker was horribly miscast, and spent the movie chasing vickie Vale)
3. Blade
4. Batman Returns (Loved Penguin as a circus freak, I hate the comic book version)
5. Judge Dredd (a guilty pleasure, yeah its cheesy and crap, but still kinda fun)

Filby

First Post
Superman and Superman II. I don't think I'd seen anything better until Spider-man 2.

Batman. I agree that the Joker was awfully miscast, but I think that Jack Nicholson made the most of it. The set design made me cringe, though... I am not, on the whole, a fan of Tim Burton.

Batman Returns. Way better than its predecessor in my opinion. I object to the portrayals of the villains -- the Penguin I see as a straight mafioso with an umbrella gimmick, and Catwoman as Frank Miller portrayed her in Batman: Year One. It bugged me that Burton portrayed them both as insane, since they're really the only big-time Bat-villains who aren't off their rockers. However, the acting was spectacular, especially from Danny deVito, which made up for the changes in my mind.

Batman, the 1960s version. It was a horrible movie, but there is no way you can beat a line like "Holy disintegrated world leaders, Batman!" ;)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Filby said:
Batman, the 1960s version. It was a horrible movie, but there is no way you can beat a line like "Holy disintegrated world leaders, Batman!"

This film was perfect for what it was meant to be. It is the ultimate representation of that television series. How can you knock a film that had the Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman all in it! Plus it featured the Batmobile, Batboat, Batcopter and some of the most absurd Batbelt gadgets ever created. Then you toss in a romantic relationship between Bruce Wayne and a Catwoman alias. Plus oodles of over-the-top puns. But the best thing about it was that it had a real movie-length plot to it, executed as campy as you could possibly make it.

Greylock

First Post
Pre-2000, but sticking post mid-70's because otherwise I'd be mucking things up with movie like "The Mark of Zorro",

1. The Phantom
2. Batman (1989)
3. The Shadow
4. The Rocketeer (added after reading the fine list below, and slapping my head.)

Short list, I know...Maybe I oughta throw Tank Girl on there...

Last edited:

Villano

First Post
In no particular order:

Batman
Superman
Superman II
Superman IV (yeah, I know :) )
Judge Dredd
The Shadow
The Flash (tv series pilot)
Danger: Diabolik
Blade
Black Mask
Mask Of Zorro
Guyver II: Dark Hero
The Crow
The Mask
The Rocketeer
Punisher
Mystery Men
Darkman III
Masters Of The Universe (sure, it's stupid, but I loved it as a kid)
Incredible Hulk
Trial Of The Incredible Hulk
Death Of The Incredible Hulk
Bionic Showdown (the one with Sandra Bullock vs Forever Knight)
MST3K version of Puma Man
Swamp Thing

If the Sable tv series had a pilot movie, I'd include it. And does Men In Black count?

Last edited:

Filby

First Post
Silver Moon said:
This film was perfect for what it was meant to be. It is the ultimate representation of that television series. How can you knock a film that had the Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman all in it! Plus it featured the Batmobile, Batboat, Batcopter and some of the most absurd Batbelt gadgets ever created. Then you toss in a romantic relationship between Bruce Wayne and a Catwoman alias. Plus oodles of over-the-top puns. But the best thing about it was that it had a real movie-length plot to it, executed as campy as you could possibly make it.

I'll give you that. ;) It was perfect for what it was.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If you consider Flash Gordon to be a superhero, then that would be my favorite by far.

1) The Crow
2) Blade I (I liked Blade II better as a movie, but Blade I featured the Pump Panel remix of New Order's Confusion, which is one heck of a song. Even better than Pump Panel's Ego Acid, which they basically combined with Confusion)
3) Blade II
4) The 60's Batman movie (Adam West is the only true Batman)
5) Captain America (the 1991 version) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/ (In the top 100 worse movies, but I enjoyed it a lot. I don't read comics, though, and I tend to like low budget movie.

Remove ads