Legends of the Samurai: Why not d20 Modern?

ragboy

Explorer
It seems like this product would have meshed much nicer with the Blood & Fists product if it had come from the d20 Modern ruleset instead of the 'fantasy' d20 set. Why was it done this way? I feel like the Modern ruleset could have captured the diversity of 'character types' in medieval Japan much better, and been able to integrate various cultural aspects without such a rigid character class system. Am I off my nut? Has someone else asked this question?

I must say that the Blood and Honor system (at first glance a replacement for races, yes?) seems to be a novel approach.

Disclaimer: I _just_ bought it, so I haven't read it yet. That's just the first thing (ding?) that popped into my head.

Vigilance

Explorer
Well, the Legends series is designed to bring some of the "Blood" mentality (historically based, low magic) feel that I enjoy to D&D. So using the Modern rules would defeat my purpose, which is to do interesting, historically based fantasy rules sets.

For simulating Japan with the d20 Modern rules I think the two Blood and Fists books do that already. There is a weapon master class (which covers several of the bases in Samurai such as the Yamabushi with his staff, the Samurai with his sword etc), a modern Ninja class, plus the martial arts, etc.

So between the two books, you get both sides of it. Blood and Fists for the modern, Legend of the Samurai for the medieval.

I know some people might just prefer one rule set or another, but I like to experiment with both 20 level base classes and the d20 Modern mechanics, and I find (speaking strictly for myself) that I enjoy both.

That's my take, thanks for the feedback :)

Chuck

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think this aims at a slightly fantastic version of historical Japan (though this isn't so obvious in just the first PDF, which doesn't have magic in it). Slightly more magical than the real world, but not nearly at the same level as D&D.

Although obviously D20 Modern has magic (or FX), it seems best with little magic in it.

ragboy

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
I think this aims at a slightly fantastic version of historical Japan (though this isn't so obvious in just the first PDF, which doesn't have magic in it). Slightly more magical than the real world, but not nearly at the same level as D&D.

Although obviously D20 Modern has magic (or FX), it seems best with little magic in it.

I started reading last night and it seems pretty well put together.

I disagree about Modern being best with no/little magic. The rules are much better suited for dialing the level of magic up or down.

Remove ads