MAKING, not painting, miniatures...

SpiralBound

Explorer
Simple question: How does one do it?

I've gone searching, and while there are numerous sites selling miniatures, even more about modifying and painting them, but I can't seem to find anywhere that describes how to make them, what materials & tools to use, and so on... :(

I want to make a few. Does anyone know where to go to learn what to do to accomplish this?

Sigurd

First Post
What sort of Mini at what scale?

A lot depends on what sort of thing you want to make. The bigger the scale the easier it is to keep detail.

Metal miniatures are typically moulded. The moulds are made from wax carvings. Metal miniature making is imho. a thankless job.

Ceramic miniatures are done with artists modeling clay (like Das). This hardens without firing in a kiln. This is easier but the temptation is to make the miniatures larger and unique.

Last I looked there were a couple of web sites with miniature making forums.

I've never done it myself.

Sigurd

Hope that helps

pogre

Legend
Join the Casters List on yahoo and also join the sculptors list on yahoo. Both contain tons of professionals who are open and helpful with their information.

Here's a bunch of different step-by-step guides of different styles.

Good luck and be sure to post your results.

SpiralBound

Explorer
Thanks everyone! :D

This looks like a bunch of helpful resources that I'll be looking into after work. (at work now, so just a quick look now during a break!) ;)

My plan is to only make a small number of miniatures at a typical "lead mini-fig" size; roughly equivalent in size to those heroclix figures or perhaps slightly smaller. I'm not up on the official size categories... say a 6 ft human would be almost 2 inches or 4 - 5 cm tall.

I'm not interested in "breaking into the mini business", I'm more interested in it as a personal sculpting hobby. I would like to have the option to take a mini I made and make a mould from it and make a dozen or so of a mini if appropriate. Say, if I made a generic goblin or equivalent and wanted a bunch of them. Or if I made a really cool looking fighter or wizard and wanted to make copies to give as gifts to a couple of my gaming friends.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases