Giants of North America

Well, I was doing a little poking around on Google earlier today for some archeological Hopewell and Adena research, and I came across this site about giants that have lived all over the world. It has just enough semi-convincing pseudo-science and conspiracy theory all over it to be perfect for a Dark*Matter game or some such.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I've seen those chaps before. I'll have to dig out my links to their messageboards. You're absolutely right about the Dark*Matter/X-Files type game.

loki44

Explorer
There was a recent one here in Georgia. Don't have a link but it was called "Hogzilla".....a supposedly massive wild hog rampaging aroung the pine barrens. It was killed and buried, and later National Geographic sent a team to check out its remains. Not sure of the results, but a 20' wild boar with a head the size of a car tire inspires awe in me.

gizmo33

First Post
Hmmm... That picture of Pan looks AWEFULLY FAMILIAR.

Nothing lends credibility to pseudo-scientific theories like stealing artwork from RPGs.

"I think the Mickey Mouse club is a cult of fanatical assassins, and to prove it, here's a picture from the DMG..."

Torm

Explorer
Pretty neat, but I was surprised to see stuff they left out. Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Jolly Green Giant, and so forth - but I guess showing ways these sorts of legends can spring up from recent history would detract from the idea they're trying to sell.... ;)

Krieg

First Post
loki44 said:
Not sure of the results, but a 20' wild boar with a head the size of a car tire inspires awe in me.

Talk about your tall tales! Even the feller who killed & buried it only claimed it was 12' long! (Upon exhumation it was estimated at 8').

RSKennan

Explorer
Interesting side note:

The Mohegan (Not to be confused with Mohican) and Wampanoag tribes have a father deity named Moshup, a giant who is married to Granny Squannit, the "queen" of the Makiawisug (little people- nearly identical to the fey in every respect, including requiring tributes of food, not allowng people to point at them or talk to them in the summer/daytime, stealing, using magic, depending on belief to live, and wearing shoes made from lady slippers).

At any rate, Moshup is said to have created Cape Cod and the Islands, and there's some rich folklore behind local phenomena in the area. His sleeping, cloaked form is said to be the Island of Martha's Vineyard, and every so often he wakes up to smoke a pipe, leading to the fog that sometimes clings to the outwash plain. For those who don't know, there's a natural humanlike head-believed to be his- in the red clay cliffs on one end of the island; in the town of Aquinnah (Formerly called Gay Head on maps, until recently.)

He's supposed to have tried to build a bridge from Martha's Vineyard to the mainland (folklore can contradict itself) but because of his temper, he destroyed his work in a powerful blow, scattering the stones across New England; which is why the area of Connecticut is so rocky compared to the Cape.

Storms are/were caused by Moshup's arguments with Granny Squannit, in their beehive home in the realm of the Makiawisug.

Moshup is also said to be able to either transform into a whale, or have become one, by the Wampanoag tribe on the cape. (There are at least two tribes with the spelling 'Wampanoag'- the "Wamp uh no ahg" tribe on Martha's Vineyard and "wamp uh nog" tribe on the mainland.)

Sorry for the tangent, but I thought this info might be cool to someone. I grew up on Martha's Vineyard, and I learned some fascinating stories from friends in the tribe.

Last edited:

RSKennan

Explorer
I was lucky enough to be able to find the attached picture of the makiawisug...

They're kind of gnome-like here; they have powers over the earth (they hoard crystals like quartz), healing, and plants and are often found with whipporwhills, who their speech mimics.

Attachments

• littlepeople.jpg
    littlepeople.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I once read a paper where most Cherokee were over 6 foot becuase a diet, the paper went on to say that this was 6 to 8 inches above the average hieght of the European settlers. It also discussed the precived effect height has on people, terms like looking down on someone, frightful, big, intimidating, short-man complex (I'm 5'4"). All could have been used to cause the conflicts between settlers and indians.

fusangite

First Post
In Huron mythology, there are three kinds of giants: the Flying Heads, the Giant Snakes and the Stone Giants (the Strendu). For gaming purposes, North America is a really underutilized source for great myths about giants and dragons.

Remove ads