3.5 OGC Spell Compilation

Sledge

First Post
For 3.0 we had the Pocket Grimoires as well as FFwdE Book of All Spells. Has any company made one of these compilations for 3.5? We would really like an actual book with just lots of spells including those in the SRD, but can't seem to find anything for 3.5. Any ideas?

Ghostwind

First Post
One of the biggest hurdles behind this is that so many companies out there have chosen to declare the spell names and spell descriptions as product identity. This means only the actual game descriptors from type to spell resistance is OGC.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ghostwind said:
One of the biggest hurdles behind this is that so many companies out there have chosen to declare the spell names and spell descriptions as product identity. This means only the actual game descriptors from type to spell resistance is OGC.

*sigh*

Sledge

First Post
Which companies actually do this? I must be lucky in that most of my d20 books have a fairly nice OGC declaration. I would love to see a list of what companies do cripple their content.

Yair

Community Supporter
Sledge said:
Which companies actually do this? I must be lucky in that most of my d20 books have a fairly nice OGC declaration. I would love to see a list of what companies do cripple their content.
I doubt you'll find such a list. People don't tend to slur others.
I know Malhavoc Press did so in its early products. I don't know if it still does.
Mongoose Publishing sometimes has fairly vague declerations that could lead to such an interpertation; other times they have great OGC declarations, you can't tell.

Some companies I know that DON'T do so and have very clear OGC declarations are Green Ronin Publishing, Bad Axe Games, and Atlas Games (and Ronin Arts, but that's for pdfs only).

I just don't know many companies, so this is by no means an exhaustive list.

Of course, a LOT of stuff is by WotC and isn't OGC at all... good stuff...

Sledge

First Post
Mark, sorry need a hard copy book. Also that is not exactly a compilation as a reprint from a single book I already have.

Also I don't understand how it can be a slur to the publisher to list them as having minimized ogc. Do they cripple it or not? Most of the ones that seem to have it crippled just have it confusing and are willing to clear it up quite easily. The few that say "all text we don't have to make open content, WE WONT" are making that declaration themselves. How is it a slur to report what they state in their own OGC declarations?

Sledge said:
Also I don't understand how it can be a slur to the publisher to list them as having minimized ogc. Do they cripple it or not?

Because when you start with the phrase "cripple" you're making a value judgment about the publisher's business decision. Most d20 publishing companies are run by really nice people who might consider your proposition if put nicely, not antagonistically. Would they do it? Not necessarily. But then again, Wizards (as already pointed out) puts out whole volumes of content that haven't a jot of OGC in them either....

Man-thing

First Post
Mongoose released:

Ultimate Arcane Spellbook (originally missing the spell tables now available on thier site)
Ultimate Divine Spellbook (does not suffer the above problem)

Both were 3.5 compatible. I picked up the divine in pdf, but I think I've seen both kicking around my FLGS in hardcover.

Remove ads