Is Oriental Adventures OG?

Hawken

First Post
Pretty straight forward here. Just want to know if 3.0 Oriental Adventures is considered open game content. Are there any specifics (like skills and feats and spells) that are open game? Or is it an all or nothing thing?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Nothing in it is open content as far as I know.

The only WotC products I know of that are open are...

MMII (and just two monsters from that one)
and
Unearthed Arcana (the whole book basically)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

(The PHB/DMG/MM are not technically open either; the SRD -- containing a lot of the PHB/DMG/MM stuff but not all -- is open, of course).

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Being compatible for use with Legend of the Five Rings really has nothing to do with it, with all due respect. The intellectual property in the book (the fluff, in other words) would be designated as non-open content if there was any OGC in the book, which there isn't. WotC chose not to make it OGC, just as it hasn't made most of its books OGC. There are only two WotC books I know of with open game content: Monster Manual II (and only two monsters are OGC), and Unearthed Arcana, which is pretty much all OGC.

I don't know what, if anything, from OA has made it into the SRD, but I suspect nothing has, at least not yet.

EDIT: Looks like Eric beat me to the draw.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
ColonelHardisson said:
Being compatible for use with Legend of the Five Rings really has nothing to do with it, with all due respect.
WotC did partner with AEG to provide just the bare minimum for adventurers in Rokugan. Then AEG laid out the full goroundwork in their D20 Campaign Book.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Frukathka said:
You're right Eric, only the core stuff + UA + the psionics stuff and a smattering of divine and planar stuff is part of the SRD.

Let's not forget the smattering of Epic stuff! :)

-- N

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Frukathka said:
WotC did partner with AEG to provide just the bare minimum for adventurers in Rokugan. Then AEG laid out the full goroundwork in their D20 Campaign Book.

OK, I don't dispute that, but that still has no bearing on whether OA could have had any open content or not.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mostly OGC: Unearthed Arcana
Some OGC: Monster Manual II (2 pages)

Most content appears in the SRD: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, Expanded Psionics Handbook
Some content appears in the SRD: Epic Level Handbook (perhaps 55% of the book), Deities and Demigods (about 15% of the book)

Remove ads