Shadows of Greatness, a Forgotten Realms campaign UPDATED February 1, 2008

Hedrin

First Post
Liadan's Journal 12 - 11/05/2003

When the shadow being appeared all of us reacted. Some of our weapons just seemed to pass through the thing, others gouged chunks of shadowy fog out of it. It appeared to be hurt. Afterwards we found out that it was somehow talking to Sandrue as it was being hit, but we didn't know it at the time. Rock's hammer landed a very telling blow, just as I brought the power of Lathander's will to bear against the shadow thing and it was no more. I don't know which of us finished the job, I'm just happy that it was gone. I don't know if I heard it or not, but when I attempted to turn the creature, I heard other voices from the rod cry out as well.

We decided not to try and do that again (one crystal was still unbroken), and we rode one. We attacked a barn that was being used by goblin and troll raiders and I won't say that it was easy, but we all survived. Sandrue kept one goblin to question and that odd act has led to our adopting him into our party. I wanted to kill him outright, but later I was sent a dream from Lathander. I was standing in a forest and found my old Mentor from the temple in Shadowdale teaching a class to very young initiates in a clearing. A dozen or so young children were sitting at desks there in the forest and I recognized the clothes that belonged to one of my two youngest brothers. I was about to go to him when I realized that it wasn't Urson or Tyson, but Pakkin instead. He looked at me and seemed very happy. Then I saw the face of my Mentor. He looked very sad and dissapointed in me. Shaking his head and dismissing me utterly, he went back to teaching the class. I could feel the weight of dissapointment upon me and resolved to start anew with Pakkin, and he has become a (somwhat!) trusted travelling companion.

With the information we gleaned from Pakkin, the situation for Camber may be worse than it ever has, as the army is supposed to be huge and under the control of one central figure. This would be Micah, but we didn't know it at the time.

We stopped later at the Puffleweis farmstead and failed to convince most of them to return to the safety of Camber. We have farm families like this on my father's land. I cried softly later when I was alone. I hope these kindly folk don't end up like some of the families I have known in the past.

We arrived at Lookout Hill and kept watch for the army to come. That night, warg riders lead by a HUGE winter wolf attacked us.

They got some of our horses and most of the rest ran away. Erim ran after the horses. I hope he could see better than I could, cause it was dark out that night! Eventually we rounded up most of them (my Shadowcast was fine. PHEW!)

Rock skinned the wolf and has been wearing the pelt. I hope he works on it when we get back to Camber as IT STINKS! (little squiggly lines raising from the words "IT STINKS!")

Hedrin

First Post
Liadan's Journal 13 & 14 - 12/06/03 & 1/17/2004

The next night, the remainder of the wargs attacked again. I thought Nekaya was going to get herself killed by running out alone to meet them, but her god (or sheer dumb luck!) protected her. We captured an orc rider and tried to question him. He knew more about the army that Pakkin did, but no real details. However he confirmed that this winter's attack on Camber would be the largest ever mounted. I think this is the first time we heard the name Micah and learned about his strange blue gauntles. We questioned him under the geas of my truth spell. We were thinking of dealing with him as we did with Pakkin. However, Sandrue was suspicious of his motives and questioned him further on his intentions. He quite calmly told us that he planned on trying to gain our trust and to kill us in the night and get away. Needless to say that didn't set very well with us and we have one less orc to deal with in the world.

One of the last surviving riderless wargs tried unwisely to attack Pekawa. Nekaya's god had recently granted his blessings upon the horse and had bonded to two like Covenant and Califax. (teardrop stain the in ink) I MISS THEM SO!!!

When we heard the main army approach we knew that it was time to go so we left. We thought of trying to divert to the Puffleweis' farm to warn them further, but we decided to pass them by in favor of letting Camber know what was coming. Erim said he cast a spell to send them a message telling them of what might be coming their way. We hoped it would be enough. Even with using my Endure Elements spell that Lathander grants me each day, the fires of Camber sure looked inviting when we saw them!

sniffles

First Post
The PCs are at about 3rd or 4th level at this point. Telemnar is still a fighter, but several of the others have now taken levels in other classes. Erim is a sorcerer/wizard, Liadan is a fighter/cleric of Lathander, Rock is a barbarian/fighter, and Sandrue is a sorcerer/cleric of Azuth.

Previously (Player's note: session missed due to illness)
It seems that our party has gained a new member, a captured goblin called Pakkin. Though Rock is none too pleased with its presence in our camp, Sandrue and Nekaya have taken the creature into their care. Pakkin claims that the orc army will return to Camber when they run out of food.

Sandrue is much disappointed that we were unable to convince most of the Puffleweis family to go to the safety of the town. He seems to feel personally responsible for their actions.

We camped among the ruins on Lookout Hill to keep watch for the orcs. When we saw movement we attempted to set a trap for our foes. Orcs mounted on worgs circled our vantage, firing arrows at us. It seemed that they were led by a snow-white wolf with the wit of a humanoid. To our good fortune Rock was able to slay the beast. But during the fight we lost two of our horses and my Aratan was stolen by the orcs. Several of us were wounded as well, myself included.

Lookout Hill, Winter
Erim mounted one horse and set off in pursuit of our missing mounts. I checked the remaining mounts and tended to a wound on Sandrue’s horse. Liadan and Nekaya went in search of Erim. When they returned they employed their healing magics to aid those of us who were injured, including the horses. I moved our mounts inside the ruins of the fort. The remainder of the night passed without incident.

The following day we continued our watch for the orcs. We gathered wood and searched for an escape route from the hill in the event that our camp was overrun. We also patrolled the area around the hill. We discovered the remains of Erim’s horse. To my immense pleasure, Aratan returned to me later that day, though wounded.

During the evening, Pakkin told Sandrue that he suspected the other worg riders would return after dark to harry us again. We prepared our defenses. During our first watch we heard wolves howling from the east and southwest.

During the second watch Erim called an alarm. To our surprise, Nekaya rushed downhill to draw off the enemy. She was charged and dismounted by two worgs. In the darkness I could not get a clear shot. Nekaya was able to regain her feet and struck one worg a mighty blow. Liadan summoned up her magical floating mace and hit the second worg. Phaele was also able to injure it with her magic. The worg facing Nekaya fled. After I put an arrow into the remaining worg and Liadan's mace struck it again, it fell. Rock charged downhill while Phaele plied her wizardry against the beast. The worg's orcish rider tried to flee but was brought down by Nekaya and Rock, who used his own hard skull as a weapon to subdue the orc. We chose to take it prisoner rather than slay it. We heard two worgs in the distance, but they did not return during the night.

During the night, Sandrue and Rock questioned our prisoner. The remainder of us kept watch. The following morning Sandrue and Liadan used a spell to compel the orc to speak truth and questioned it further. They learned that the orc army is extremely large and is led by a human named Micah, who possesses a blue metal gauntlet of some note. Micah evidently intends to use his army to take control of this entire territory.

Once the spell came to an end, the prisoner attempted to escape. In the end Rock slew him.

Later, as Nekaya patrolled below the hill, we heard a goblin squeal followed by the cry of a horse. Phaele, Rock and I went out to investigate. We found Nekaya unhurt, though she had been attacked by a worg rider. I noticed at once that her steed had grown larger. Through some blessing of Nekaya's god, Pekawa has been changed.

May Corellon Larethian extend similar blessings to my beloved, wherever she may be.

We determined that it was now time to return to Camber with our news of Micah and his army. We considered at first attempting to warn the Puffleweis clan of the approaching army, but concluded that we should return to town as swiftly as possible. At night we heard the signal horns of the army's outriders. Late on the evening of the third day, we arrived in Camber.

Waiting

When we returned to Camber, we were greeted with pleasure by our friends there, despite the late hour of our arrival. Pakkin, however, was not greeted so pleasantly. We reported to Captain Puffleweis and Mayor Briar, and when it was learned that the goblin was under our protection, he was allowed within the walls on the requirement that he leave our house only on pain of death.

Rock and I then went to prepare our house and stable for the party's arrival. Rock found a large wooden chest on the table in the main room. When Sandrue and Erim returned they determined that it had been sent by Master Gadron. In addition to some items for the use of the mages, he sent a package that he asked us to deliver to one Cal Brimstone of Brimstone Keep. He requested that we deliver the package by summer. We have vowed to complete this task if we are able.

The following day I moved our horses to the stable. Our spellcasters paid a visit to Master Sonnohm to inquire about the blue gauntlet Micah is reputed to possess, but the aged wizard would not see them. They then visited his former apprentice, Olson. Rock is performing some labor for Olson, though he does not say to what purpose.

Liadan visited the temples of Chauntea and Tempus to ask if their priests had any knowledge of an item such as Micah's gauntlet, for Sandrue thinks it possible the gauntlet gives Micah his power over the orcs. But the temple folk had no knowledge of such a thing.

In the evening we attended a military conference. Mayor Briar suggested bargaining with the orcs, but was convinced that this would be unwise. The townsfolk are determined to protect their property. Phaele suggested a ploy of planting poisoned foodstuffs outside the town to be found by the orcs. We all discussed various subterfuges and traps that could be prepared to deal with the army. The wizards planned to send a message to Gadron asking for his aid. Liadan planned a prayer vigil to seek Lathander's guidance. Sandrue intended to make a similar vigil at the prayer rock that lies within the town wall, for it has been here longer than the town and may hold some secret of its own.

For myself, I have been working with the townsfolk in preparing some of the traps we discussed, such as laying a sheet of ice around the walls. It keeps my mind from worry for my dear Erendis.

To Battle a Giant

Sandrue completed his vigil at the prayer rock. He reported that he received a vision, perhaps from his god. The message of this vision was clearly that Micah must be slain. Sandrue also revealed that his staff, which was gifted to him by Havin Wayfinder, contains some entity that can communicate with him. The staff has suggested that it would be best if we did not face the orcs directly and instead evacuate the town. Sandrue and Phaele brought this suggestion before the mayor, but the mayor has declined to accept this advice.

Liadan has decided to hold a vigil of her own at the prayer rock. We have heard that the advance scouts of the army may be only one day's travel from town.

We have now been summoned to carry out a new mission in defense of Camber. A hill giant has been seen, and we are asked to eliminate it. Now more than ever I miss my wife and her companions, for no doubt they would find a giant little challenge. But those of us here in Camber have never seen a giant. Sandrue has elected not to accompany us on this venture. He feels he has little to contribute to our effort. I will miss his keen observations. I can only hope that he can keep Pakkin in check while we are absent, for the goblin has already set fire to the house.

We set out at once in pursuit of the giant, though it was late evening. We must find the creature before it can reach Camber. Billy Tanner joined our party as a scout. We will do our best to see that he returns safely to the town, for not only is he the son of the owner of our house, he is also soon to be wed.

We had not traveled far from the town when a rider was detected following our trail through the deep snow. Some of our number had chosen to carry lights because it was too dark for any but Rock to see well. We quickly put out our lights and waited silently for the rider to approach. When the rider came near enough for me to see, I observed that his mount was Sandrue's horse, and he bore Sandrue's unusual staff. He had fortunately repented of his earlier choice and come to aid us. Rock, who had elected to come last in our line, could be seen dismounted, burrowing through the snow like some creature of the earth burrowing through a garden. His cloak of winter wolf hide makes him difficult to see in the snow, but he is not able to move as quietly as Billy Tanner.

As we rode on with Sandrue in our midst, we made some effort to determine how we should deal with the giant. Though none of us have seen a giant, Rock has knowledge of them through his people. He is familiar with the dwarven tactics for combating giants. Through his wisdom we have learned how truly formidable our foe may be. It is possible that some of us will not return to Camber.

Billy Tanner called a halt to our journey when he heard the cry of a bird that is not native to this area. He forged ahead on foot to investigate. As we waited we heard noises among the trees. The sounds of fighting could be heard in the direction Billy Tanner had departed.

Suddenly there was a burst of cacophonous sound from my right. Liadan had called upon the aid of her god to stun some of the orcs that were approaching us. Nekaya rode off to aid Billy Tanner. The orcs rushed toward the rest of our group. Liadan and Sandrue both directed magical energies at the enemies. An orc charged me and managed to inflict a minor wound upon me. As I faced the attacks of two orcs, Nekaya returned bearing Billy Tanner. She and I defeated the two orcs who opposed me. Billy Tanner had leapt down from Pekawa and fought another orc on his own. He was able to slay it without my aid.

Though the orcs had outnumbered us, the fight was over swiftly and all the orcs were slain or stunned by magic. Sadly most of our number had been wounded. Nekaya and Liadan plied their divine healing on those who were most hurt, particularly Sandrue, who it seemed had rushed forward to fight with little heed for his own safety. I trust that he will not be so reckless when we meet the giant.

Most of the stunned orcs were quickly dispatched, but two were revived and questioned regarding the giant's whereabouts. We learned that it is likely to be accompanied by two giant dogs and at least one orc. Realizing that our group now lacked sufficient magical aid to face the giant at dawn as we had intended, we located an abandoned farm where we could rest and prepare for the coming struggle.

The Ambush

As we took our rest in the barn, we examined the items we had taken from the bodies of the slain orcs. In addition to a small sum of coin, Erim found that one orc wore a finely crafted pendant, which Rock determined was made of white gold. The pendant carried a symbol of two clawed white hands with thumbs interlocked. Those who know more of Faerun's religions than I identified this as the emblem of Yurtrus, an orcish deity of disease and death. The amulet is magical according to our mages, but they did not have time to determine the nature of the magic. Nekaya avers that the amulet is not evil.

We formulated a plan for our encounter with the giant Hillfang. Sandrue wisely suggested that we eliminate his giant dogs first so that they would not make battling Hillfang more difficult. We agreed that I would act as a decoy to lead the dogs away from their master and into an ambush prepared by my companions. At about midmorning we set out in the direction the orcs had indicated the giant was traveling. The weather had cleared and the snow glared brilliantly in the sunlight. Near midday Billy Turner returned from scouting to tell us that he had found something we should all see. From a ridge we looked down to see the giant and his companions some distance off. Their path would lead them to cross a wagon road leading from Camber. We decided to prepare our ambush by having me wait on the wagon road.

While the others set up their position some distance off, Aratan and I waited on the road. I could hear the giant chuckling in a deep rumbling tone as he neared, and a good deal of crashing. Then a large tree limb hurtled past me. The two giant dogs, which resembled wolves more than dogs to my eyes, burst from the forest in pursuit of the tree branch. One of the large canines observed me at once but the other appeared more interested in the tree branch until it noticed what its companion was looking at. The first beast lunged at Aratan and I spurred him to the fastest gallop he could achieve in the deep snow. The chase was on.

Aratan was as swift as the wind despite the snow. We maintained a satisfactory lead on the two canines, enough to prevent them from catching us but not so far ahead that they might lose interest in the chase. When we came to the location that my companions had chosen they began to fire upon the dogs with crossbows. As I turned Aratan to join the fight, Liadan emerged from her hiding place and one of the dogs sprang upon her. It bore her to the ground, but she was able to rise again before I could reach her. I could not see much of what happened with the rest of my friends, though I caught a glimpse of Rock facing the second dog. The first animal knocked Liadan off her feet again. A few well-placed blows eliminated him. The second dog was also quickly dispatched. Liadan was somewhat injured but not seriously. We employed potions to heal those who were hurt so they could be at their best to face the giant.

We decided to remain in position and wait for the giant to come seeking his dogs. We buried the dogs in snowdrifts and swept away some of the evidence of the fight, but not before Rock asked me to cut off the head of one of the dogs. Then we all assumed positions under cover. We could hear the giant speaking with his two orc companions as he drew near our hiding place. As they approached it seemed that they grew suspicious, for the two orcs turned off the path and moved among the trees. Rock then flung the severed dog's head out into the giant's view and stepped out to face our largest foe. Though I would have liked to ride straight at the giant to aid my friend, I chose to attack the orc that was nearest to my position.

My arrows did not much trouble the orc. As I steered Aratan closer to my enemy I could hear Rock bellowing at Hillfang, and whistling sounds that I think were Erim's magical missiles being flung at the giant. But the trees blocked my view of much of the combat. The orc I faced moved away to aid the giant against Rock, so I turned my attention to the giant, though I could not find the proper angle to make my bowshots strike true. It seemed that the spells Sandrue, Erim and Phaele had carefully prepared were most effective, however, for the giant suddenly toppled into the snow. I made certain that he would not rise again. His two orcish compatriots were also slain. Praise be to Lord Corellon, we had succeeded in defeating the giant with relatively little harm to ourselves.

Neither the giant nor the two orcs carried any missives or maps containing useful information. We found a wounded fox in a sack slung over the giant's back. Liadan put it out of its misery. Among the detritus the giant carried Rock found a silver tankard set with jade. It was damaged but he intends to repair it. Though it was difficult, we removed the giant's head, both to serve as evidence of our success and to display for the benefit of the giant's orcish comrades. Before departing from the battle site we uncovered the corpses of the giant canines for the orc army to discover.

We were greeted with enthusiasm on our return to Camber. Though we learned that Hillfang's head is not the only giant skull within the walls of the town, we are nonetheless proud of our accomplishment. The severed head makes an impressive sight above the main gate. No doubt my Erendis would be amused by my pride, for she has certainly encountered much more impressive foes. I look forward to hearing her tale of her experience with the abyssal dragon when next I see her.

The Siege

We did not have much time to bask in the pleasure of our accomplishment. Reports from the scouts indicated that the army was very near. After a few hours of rest we prepared ourselves for battle. During our rest period Erim and Sandrue examined a black iron rod found among the giant's possessions. It had a sort of button at one end which they presumed was intended to activate some magical feature of the rod. As a precaution Rock took the rod outside before pressing the button. Once the button was depressed the rod became immobile in midair. Rock and Sandrue found this quite exciting and began proposing various uses for the rod as a weapon or aid to combat. Rock even suggested sitting upon the rod to rest during battle!
The orc army arrived during darkness, naturally. They did not show much evidence of good tactics, surging against the walls in small groups as they reached the town. Though their attacks were poorly planned they were effective in that the defenders had no time to rest between waves. I could not see much of what befell my companions, being too occupied with defending my own section of the wall. The palisade around Camber is little more than three times my height and made of logs, and the orc corpses piling at the foot of the wall soon began to provide a means for their fellows to climb up and try to pass over the wall. The other giants among Micah's forces also caused considerable difficulty, as they were able to reach up to the top of the wall and snatch down unwary defenders.

I heard reports that the wall was breached in several places as the night wore on. At one point not far from my position, the wall fell to a giant. Rock leapt down from the wall and faced the creature. I fired as many arrows at it as I could to aid my friend. Fortunately the wizard Master Sonnohm was able to repair the broken section of wall with a spell. Rock was barely able to get back inside before the new stone section appeared.

At one point in the night I heard that Erim had fallen, but it seems that he was saved from death by the intervention of Liadan or the priestess of Chauntea. I am relieved that I need not mourn a fallen companion yet, particularly one of my own people who is so young and full of promise. To my knowledge none other of my friends has been so near to the end of life, though all of us were hurt in the battle. Rock has been able to withstand numerous wounds that would have been grievous to one not of dwarven kind. So many arrows pierced his armor that he resembled a hedgehog. I think that he sees himself as competing with Stone, the doughty dwarf who endlessly watches the main gate of Camber

When full light came the orcs retreated from their assault. Much to our surprise, they vanished entirely from the immediate area of the town. We could only presume that they had gone to forage for food. We had observed during the fight that many of them seemed in poor condition, which may have accounted for their reckless behavior in attacking the walls. My companions and I rejoined one another and formed a plan to make an attack upon Micah. As we had seen in previous encounter, he kept a bodyguard of ogres, but we hoped that a stealthy attack might give us an advantage. There was no guarantee that the orcs would be greatly troubled by his death, but based upon their behavior during the night we suspected that the loss of their leader would send them into confusion.

In the evening we disguised ourselves in orcish garb taken from the bodies of the slain, and crept out through one of the breaches in the wall. Much to our disappointment – particularly Sandrue, who took it almost as a betrayal – Rock elected not to accompany us. I hoped that he had some plan he had not had the opportunity to share with us. We worked our way around the town to the south side where the gate lies and hid among the trees. But before we could begin making our way toward the orc camp where we believed Micah could be found, a group of orcs and ogres approached the gate, bearing a flag of truce. We observed a Man walking among the ogres. We watched in confusion from our hiding place as the Man spoke with the mayor of the town for a short while, then he and his company of orcs and ogres were admitted to Camber.

The all-clear signal we had agreed upon went up at once, but we were reluctant to simply stroll back inside through the gate, though we could see that it had been left ajar. As we made our way back to the place where we had exited the wall, we carried on a hushed discussion of what our next actions should be. I had been rereading my journal entries during our rest the night before, and it had brought to my attention the fact that Covenant sought a single gauntlet. I thought it odd that another solo gauntlet should appear so near to where Covenant sought his goal, and I mentioned this to my companions. Sandrue thinks it unlikely that there is any relationship between Micah's blue gauntlet and the Gauntlet of Dawn that Covenant seeks to acquire, and I agree with him for the most part. I wish that we knew what power Micah's gauntlet possesses.

The Gauntlet

After we reentered the town we were told that negotiations were taking place at the First Gate Inn. We made our way there as quickly as we could. We were able to observe Micah's party ahead of us and see how many orcs and ogres were in his company. At least two of the orcs appeared to be magic-wielders. There were three ogres with him. We had heard that his gauntlet gave him great strength, which caused me to wonder why he had need of the ogres.

By the time we made certain that the gate had been closed and approached the inn, Micah's party had already been within for a short while. A guard at the door told us no one was else was to be admitted on the mayor's orders, but Sandrue cleverly persuaded him to permit us entry. As we set foot inside it appeared that Micah had already stated his demands, but he called out to us that he wished no spellcasting to occur. Though Erim had feared we would not be welcome, Mayor Briar seemed relieved by our arrival. We spread ourselves out and Rock began to converse with Sandrue in a low voice, telling him what had occurred prior to our appearance. Micah was evidently curious about our presence. He recognized Phaele and Sandrue as natives of Halruua, and spoke in the tones of an educated man. I cannot imagine what his purpose was in commanding the orcs.

I observed that Micah's gauntlet was indeed blue as we had been told. It appeared to be made of a blue metal rather than painted or enameled. On the back of the hand was a white symbol resembling a horseshoe. According to those with more knowledge of history than I, this was the symbol of some great general of the past who gained infamy for betraying his own army. We had wondered if this might be Micah's intention as well. But that will not persuade us to forgive him for the death and destruction he has caused.

One of the orcs with Micah spoke up and made threats at the townsfolk. Micah chastised him. Then to my surprise Micah shouted out, "Kill him!", seeming to direct this command not at the orcs but at us! The orcs did not react well to this. One of the ogres nearest to Micah moved to attack him. My attention was caught by another ogre moving on one of the town militiamen. Liadan and I stepped forward to oppose the ogre, as there were also wounded townsfolk in nearby alcoves.

The ogre proved a difficult opponent. He badly wounded Liadan and myself and was difficult for me to harm. I had little awareness of what went on around me. I heard Commander Puffleweis whistle at one point, and caught a glimpse of the power of the gauntlet when Micah used it to fling some magic at someone behind me. When at last Liadan slew the ogre I turned to oppose an orc who was already engaged against Nekaya, Rock and Commander Puffleweis. Rock brought down this foe. Once all the orcs and ogres in the common room had fallen, Phaele and I volunteered to go out to check the gate. We feared that some of Micah's party might have fled to open the way for the army.

As we departed the inn I caught sight of Micah fleeing. I gave chase, fearing that if he reached the gate he might admit his compatriots, or return to the army and command them to attack at once. Despite the snow he was able to outpace me. At one point I struck at him with my longsword and he deflected the blow with his gauntlet. It left a terrible gouge in my blade. When we reached the top of the wall Micah simply flung himself off into the snow. I drew my bow and fired on him, as did several of the archers on the wall. We struck him, but he was not injured enough to fall. He vanished into the darkness.

Much to our relief the orcs did not return to swarm the walls. One of their shamans had escaped from the town, reportedly by transforming herself into a crow. By all appearances she must have warned the other orcs of Micah's betrayal. Within a few days the orc army appeared to have dissipated as the starving orcs either fought with one another or left the area to seek food.

Though we have succeeded in preserving Camber, it is not by our own strength of arms. Sandrue seems despondent over the turn of affairs and takes little pleasure in the survival of the townsfolk. Rock has moved his sleeping quarters to the town militia barracks and speaks to no one. I am uncertain why my friends are so disturbed. Perhaps it is because the preparations for battle took our minds off our concerns for our absent companions. I dearly desire to be with my beloved Erendis again and hear her thoughts on such matters. With Corellon's mercy we will be together soon.

This portion of the story took place out of game via email.
Interlude

As the snows of winter fade from this land, I begin to think of Evereska, wishing for the grand trees and gentle lights of my home. But I know that I would not feel at home there without my Erendis by my side. Now that I have tasted some small measure of what her life in the world beyond Evereska is like, I am not certain I could ever be content there.

My heart is dark with foreboding now. Perhaps the dour moods of my friends are to blame. I have spoken with Rock, but he is not yet willing to share his thoughts with me.

Liaden called upon all of us to meet with her at the South Gate Inn a few days ago. She asked us to make a pact with her to seek out our absent companions wherever they may be. She is still convinced that Covenant is no more. I was at once willing to join her in this venture, but some of the others were not so eager. I had forgotten that Sandrue and Phaele had only traveled with Havin Wayfinder for a few weeks before meeting the rest of our group, and hence do not have the depth of feeling for him that Liaden has for Covenant. Erim, too, has no great attachment to Jastra Moondown, and would likely be just as pleased to return to Evermeet and his studies there, though he did not say as much.

Rock would make no commitment, announcing that he would give his answer in three days time. Liaden was much disappointed by this response, I think. Sandrue and Phaele have indicated that they may wish to travel to Arrabar and possibly from there seek passage back to their native land of Halruua. Sandrue is having great difficulty adjusting to the ways of people other than his own. Before I parted from them to speak with Rock, I remarked to Sandrue that if he is so unhappy in the company of those who do not know Halruuan ways, then it is unlikely he will ever be happy anywhere other than his homeland. I hope he did not take this as an insult. I too find the ways of the people I have met strange, even Erim's ways and he is of my own kindred, but I will seek a way to live among them despite their strangeness.

Rock and I have spoken regarding his troubles. It seems that he sees the affairs surrounding Micah's entry into the town much differently than the rest of our companions. He is convinced that the orcs did not return for a concerted assault because Micah somehow persuaded them not to do so. The rest of our friends - myself included - had assumed that Micah merely fled, and that when the orc shamaness advised her folk of his betrayal the orcs became divided amongst themselves and lost their will to fight. I still do not believe that treating with Micah would have been wise, but perhaps if affairs had followed a different path we might have been able to eliminate the orcs of this region altogether, and spare Camber from future depredations. I do not regret what might have been. Rock takes a different view.

sniffles

First Post
Fine Dining in Camber

The townsfolk have shown their appreciation of our efforts on their behalf by rewarding us with assorted items taken from the fallen foes. Mayor Briar also brought us the wages we were owed as members of the town militia. We now have more than sufficient funds for our intended journey to Arrabar when the weather clears a little further.
In addition to the coins we received from the town, we were also given the magical axe that belonged to the orc leader Logrim, who accompanied Micah within the walls. None of us are much acquainted with the use of an axe, but Rock has taken charge of it. I took for myself three silver-tipped arrows, not of the best quality but not of orcish manufacture. Other items were distributed as seemed most appropriate. One of the most peculiar items we were given was a length of rope made from the entrails of a troll. Like the troll it came from it will regenerate itself when cut into pieces. It is an odd gift, but one that may be of good use in some future endeavor.

My heart lifts to think that we may soon travel from this place to the city of Arrabar. It is still uncertain whether Sandrue and Phaele will remain in our company after that time, but Sandrue and Rock have spoken and seem to have resolved their differences. While I have enjoyed my time here in Camber and will always have fond thoughts of many of its people, I am ready for a change of scene. Travel will keep my mind from worry for Erendis. It has now been many moons since I last saw my beloved, and though in past days she was parted from me for longer periods, I find it more difficult to adjust to her absence when I am not in the familiar climes of our home.

The townsfolk have been much anticipating the arrival of one Simon Baker for his annual visit to the town of his birth. He is a local celebrity, having found employ with a fabled baker in Arrabar. He was greeted with much enthusiasm when his wagon arrived in the town. It appeared that he and his companion, a Man called Lowgrave, were attacked by orcs during their journey. Liadan at once offered Lathander's healing grace to Lowgrave, who accepted with a peculiar lack of enthusiasm. He is not a garrulous sort and seems most uncomfortable among the townsfolk.

Simon Baker prepared a repast of fine pastries on the morning following his arrival. I have not seen so many folk in the First Gate Inn during my time here. I find the crowds of Men too boisterous for my liking. Still, it is pleasant to dine on such fare and set aside the cares and toils of the day for a short while. Sadly the cares of the day have been set aside for good for one of the sentries on the wall. Liadan found him, at first thinking him asleep. There is an assassin in our midst. The suspicions of the townsfolk have turned to Simon Baker's companion, Lowgrave, who will evidently give no accounting for himself. It is as well that we have been here long enough to no longer be thought of as strangers, else we too should be suspect.

{note - missing a bit here; can't find my notes}
Assassins

Some of the events which followed our struggle in the alleyway are not pleasurable to recall. I am certain that my beloved Erendis would not approve, nor would Covenant have given us his blessing for such behaviour.

But I should begin at the beginning. Once most of the attackers had been slain – which was not our intention, but they gave us no other option – we found that Simon Baker had been poisoned. Liadan and Phaele took charge of his care. Only one of the attackers remained alive, a man who by his behaviour was judged to be their leader. He was badly wounded, but Liadan and Nekaya were able to preserve his life. The town militia took charge of him and of his compatriots’ bodies.

Rock was particularly concerned with preventing this man from taking his own life. He demanded that the man be stripped of all garments and securely bound, despite his injuries. The man was transported to the militia barracks, where Rock intended to keep watch on him so that he might not somehow slay himself. I volunteered to guard our prisoner, as I have less need of rest than my friends. Rock and Sandrue intended to question him once he regained consciousness.

We found that this man’s companions had several items on their persons that bore the mark of Thayan make. After our previous altercation with the Thayan wizard Nethimil, I found this disturbing. Simon Baker had told us of Thayan enclaves in Arrabar, however, so at first we did not think this had anything to do with Nethimil’s attack upon our missing friends.

While Rock and I maintained our guard on the prisoner, and Liaden and Phaele attempted to find an antidote for the poison affecting Simon Baker, Nekaya went to the room occupied by Simon Baker’s companion Lowgrave to seek more information. I have neglected to mention that she found Lowgrave’s corpse upon a rooftop after our fight in the alley concluded. He had been strangled.

It seems that in Lowgrave’s room she came upon a chest that he had clung to with great care when he first arrived in Camber. The chest also bore a Thayan symbol. When she opened it a tongue of flame shot out and set the room ablaze. She was able to escape with the chest, but the rest of the room was badly damaged. That was not the last trouble the contents of the chest were to cause, though my guard duty with the prisoner prevented me from experiencing any of this firsthand.

Within the chest was a metal bar inscribed with some form of writing. Nekaya took this bar first to show to Phaele and Liadan. But when Liadan attempted to read the symbols upon it, she fell under the influence of a paralyzing spell. It is our good fortune that the visiting priestess of Chauntea, Esther, was able to free her from the spell. Sandrue believes the bar to be inscribed with the Netherese tongue. These are the folk who long ago destroyed much of their world and created the great desert of Anauroch that borders so close upon my homeland.

In the meanwhile, our prisoner, whose name Sandrue had learned was Amar (through a spell that allowed him to hear the man’s thoughts), had recovered consciousness. But he refused to answer any questions. Sandrue exercised great diplomacy and guile in questioning him, all for nought. Rock chose a different course. He threatened the man with physical harm. I did not think he would truly carry out what he threatened, but I was mistaken. When Amar still refused to explain why he had sought to slay Simon Baker, Rock inflicted a terrible torture upon him, causing him great pain. I cannot bring myself to describe it in more detail. I am ashamed that I did not seek to prevent my friend from doing this.

Sandrue used his thought-detecting spell once more, and under Rock’s ministrations Amar did give a small amount of information regarding his mission. He had come to prevent Simon Baker from sending a message to someone. Simon Baker was himself also conscious some of this time, and did give some additional information to Liadan, though we are uncertain of the import of what he said. She and Phaele transcribed a coded message that Simon Baker wished to give to his cousin for delivery to his uncle. But we are not certain which cousin he spoke of, though it seems that the uncle he meant is the uncle who is a baker in Arrabar.

We are not certain of the meaning of the message, but it refers to a choir that has not passed the first gate. We all recalled that Covenant and his companions had been referred to as a choir in a divination performed by Jastra Moondown. We presume that the first gate refers to the First Gate Inn here in Camber. If this is correct then Simon Baker had been sent by someone to seek the whereabouts of our missing friends. But we do not know why he sought them, or whether he did so on behalf of their Thayan enemies or some other persons.

As we planned to travel to Arrabar in any case, we now have a much more urgent reason to depart as soon as may be. We will likely deliver the message to Simon Baker’s uncle ourselves, though Nekaya is dubious of the wisdom of this course. Simon Baker is still too ill to tell us more. No one has been able to find an antidote to the poison affecting him, though Liadan was able to slow its effect. Sandrue also learned that Amar has been poisoned, though he did not inflict this upon himself after we took him prisoner. Apparently this is a normal part of his "missions", to be poisoned in advance and not to receive the antidote until the mission is complete. I doubt that we will be able to save his life.

I had thought that the affair with Micah was unpleasant, but the world beyond the Hidden Hills has now become a much darker place to my eyes. I did not know of such people, nor that they might be enemies of my dear Erendis and her friends. But I will not abandon hope. I will see my beloved wife once more, and we will not permit her foes to succeed in whatever foul deeds they plan.

A Delayed Departure

I must admit that I am relieved that we have at last set out from Camber. Yet I am also reluctant. Should my beloved and her companions return, they will no doubt learn at once that we have gone to Arrabar. Perhaps we shall meet them on the road, or at the least hear news of them.

Sandrue spoke once more with the prisoner, this time taking Nekaya with him during the questioning. They did not get much more information from him regarding his purpose in Camber, although he apparently claimed that he and his companions had come merely to capture Lowgrave and recover an item that the man had taken. This item was evidently the bar of adamantine that Nekaya found in the trapped chest in Lowgrave’s room. It is about the length and breadth of a man’s hand in size, and inscribed with writings in the language of ancient Netheril. The inscription refers to an enemy from below attacking both magic and heart. We have no idea what this means but hope to learn more in Arrabar.

Before our departure we were invited to dine in the evening with Billy Tanner’s family. They have been particularly kind to us during our stay here. But after we had agreed to sup with them, we were approached by Mayor Briar and asked to attend a feast in our honor to be held on the same evening. Sandrue was concerned lest we offend the Tanners, but I think that such niceties of etiquette were lost on the mayor. Everyone in the town was invited to attend the banquet also, hence the Tanners would be assumed to be present. We did not wish to forego a private affair with the Tanner family, but this dilemma was resolved when their meal invitation was moved to midday.

The noon meal was not such a small affair as I had at first anticipated, as there are many Tanners in Camber. The evening feast was much larger. After spending much of the day in preparation for our journey, it was pleasant to relax and dine without care. There was much consumption of ale, along with music and dancing. Though I am not familiar with the style of dancing practiced here, it is not difficult to learn, and I invited all of my lady companions to dance with me during the evening. I only wish that my dear Erendis had been present to do the same. I think that Sandrue was still feeling the effects of our activities on the previous day, for his demeanor during the evening was even stiffer and more awkward than usual, and the more so in Phaele’s presence, oddly enough.

My friend Rock had consumed more ale than was wise prior to the dinner. He missed the midday meal altogether, and only a spell generously cast by Liadan allowed him to attend the feast. During the dinner he gave a gift to Commander Puffleweis, of whom he has become very fond during our stay here. I think that he sought to present his gift in private, but like most of the residents of this town, Commander Puffleweis has a large family and most were attending the feast. Rock seemed rather discomfited by their scrutiny of the silver rings he presented to her.

We made our final farewells early the following morning. Rock was somewhat the worse for wear, as Liadan’s spell could only hold off the effects of excess ale for a time, not remove them altogether. During our first night away from town, we examined the contents of a chest the mayor had sent to us. It contained some of the belongings of the Thayans who attacked Simon Baker. Though we were all reluctant to use any objects bearing Thayan emblems, there was a magical shortsword in the chest which I took, as I am the only member of our group who would find much use for it. There were also four potions of healing marked with the symbol of the goddess Waukeen, two magical cloaks, and a suit of magical studded leather armor. I now have one of the potions in my possession. Erim reluctantly took charge of a wand containing a spell to inflict fiery wounds with one’s hands. He does not seem much interested in spells which cause harm to one’s enemies.

After a time we crossed the Wintercloak River, fording it where Nekaya had crossed when she traveled to fetch the priestess Esther. We had intended to escort Esther back to her temple, but she chose to remain in Camber a while longer. After crossing the Wintercloak, we drew alongside the Winterwood, which is reputed to house a large green dragon that we hope not to meet. We feared that this hope might be in vain when the horses grew nervous and I sensed something large moving among the trees. Then an enormous bear, larger than a horse, emerged from the forest.

Phaele attempted to drive it off by showering it with her spell of snowballs, but this only aroused its ire. It charged her and struck her a fierce blow with its huge claws. I could not move as swiftly as I should have liked and was unable to put myself between her and the beast. Phaele’s spells are strong but she is not. She was able to strike it with a ball of fire despite her wounds. I maneuvered Aratan behind the beast and struck it a minor blow. Then it turned on me and slashed me, though not seriously. Aratan did not fare so well. I drew back from the bear and dismounted quickly. Sandrue bravely - or perhaps foolishly - approached the bear closely enough to cast a spell that required him to touch it. It was little surprise that the bear turned on him. Liadan healed some of Phaele’s wounds and then struck the bear a mighty blow with her mace. I moved up on foot to stab at it again, though only one of my blows was able to penetrate its thick fur. Nekaya, who had also been raked by the bear’s claws, struck it twice and it fell to the ground.

I could not see what Rock did during the fight, and Erim’s horse had tried to bolt when the beast charged. Once the huge bear had fallen, most of our group was injured and panting with weariness. Liadan was able to provide enough of Lathander’s blessings to help us recover our health. I am particularly grateful to her for aiding Aratan, who was quite sorely injured. It is to be hoped that we will not encounter anything else so dangerous for at least a few more days. The next town, Nimpeth, is still some days’ ride distant.

The Winterwood

It seems that our journey to Arrabar will not be a quiet one. Such is the consequence of having chosen this life as an adventurer, I suppose.

I think that when we reach Arrabar, or perhaps even in Nimpeth, I shall seek out an armorer and try to obtain a shirt of chain.

It was late afternoon when we concluded our brief but strenuous encounter with the huge bear. Phaele and Rock chose to remove some of the beast's claws as souvenirs of the meeting, but we did not wish to otherwise disturb the body and left it to be devoured by carrion eaters.

A short while later we established our camp. We were passing through the area between the Winterwood and the foothills of the Cloven Mountains. During the night we detected some activity in the forest, though nothing approached us. I spied a distant light while on watch, but it was too far to cause concern.

Sandrue has taken to slipping a short distance away from the camp to pray each morning. May his goddess watch over him in this dangerous place.

The snow has lessened, permitting us to move more quickly. It is also growing warmer. We passed the approximate location where Simon Baker claimed that he and his companion had been attacked by orcs. We saw no sign of orcs in the vicinity, though we did observe the footprints of a giant and those of some large wolves. We suspect that Simon Baker was waylaid by the same group that attacked him in Camber.

We are nearing Nimpeth. Nekaya passed through this territory with her master prior to his untimely death, and also when she left Camber to fetch the healer Esther. She tells us that we should reach the town within two or three days. That is, if we survive so long. The Winterwood is filled with strange things. As we camped near the edge of the forest Liadan, Nekaya and Phaele caught a glimpse of flashes of light among the trees. I heard the sound of what appeared to be a large animal moving about. We broke camp and decided to move toward the foothills to avoid the area, fearing that it might be the dragon. Then Nekaya observed a wisp of smoke and a flash of red. We began to fear that some other band of travelers might be in difficulty. We approached the area where the smoke had been seen with some trepidation.

Not far beyond the tree line we found a campsite, the fire still smoldering, surrounded by eight or nine bodies. Farther amongst the trees lay a large creature that we at first mistook for a small dragon. All were no longer living. We observed Thayan symbols on the persons of the slain folk. Then Rock and Nekaya indicated that they heard a voice, chanting as though casting a spell. Nekaya charged Pekawa toward the voice. A man appeared, clad in red robes, his flesh covered in tattooed markings. It was obvious to all of us that he was one of the Red Wizards of Thay. None of us were comfortable with his presence, but I was surprised by Nekaya's reaction. I think that she might have slain him on the spot had cooler heads not prevailed. I remarked to her that hatred is one of the evils of the world, which seemed to make some small impression on her anger. On reflection, had our visitor been an orc I should likely have reacted much as Nekaya did.

The stranger explained that he had only just arrived and was seeking another member of the fallen group, a woman, whose body did not lie near the campfire. Rock appeared from behind the man, startling him slightly, and reported that he had observed signs of several very large animals in the area, as well as indications that a second of the dragon-like creatures had been there. It seemed that the missing woman was also a wizard and might have summoned the other creatures to combat the dragon-things. The Red Wizard begged us to help him find the woman, offering us a share of all the goods her dead companions had borne.

Nekaya I think would have been willing to let the woman suffer whatever fate she came to, but the rest of us were not sanguine with leaving a lone traveler in the clutches of whatever creature had apparently captured her. We agreed to aid the wizard, though Nekaya tried to insist that he give up all of his spell ingredients and have his hands

bound so that he could not cast spells. Sandrue pointed out that his tattoos were of a magical nature, indicating that it would be impossible to prevent him from spellcasting merely by binding his hands. Dissatisfied, Nekaya rode Pekawa directly behind him and stared at him intently all the while.

The wizard introduced himself as Tyree and referred to the missing woman as Milla. We did not introduce ourselves to him, except perhaps for Sandrue, who is ever courteous. As we began to follow the tracks Rock had found, the wood grew darker and more forbidding. Then Liadan and Nekaya reported that they saw what appeared to be trees moving toward us. In a moment it became apparent that they were not trees, though they seemed to be made of plant material. The creatures rushed us and I ran forward to meet them. As they neared they swung the hair-like substance on their heads like a horse swishing its tail and flung numerous thorny needles at me.

The needle-creatures were not overly sturdy and my blades cut into them like an axe into wood. I could not see much of how my companions fared, for there were many of the creatures around me. Out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed some of Phaele's magical snowballs hurtling at several needle-creatures, and I saw Rock smash one of them to splinters with his silver hammer. The creatures surrounding me threw more of their thorns at me until I must have resembled a briar hedge to my companions.

The creatures were swiftly dispatched and Liadan came to offer me some of Lathander's mercy for my thorny wounds. Still I spent much of the next little while removing thorns from my person. They do not cause serious injury individually, but enough of them in a single victim could certainly be deadly. I am only relieved that they do not appear to contain any venom. My friends tell me that it seems the creatures bore some enmity for folk of the elven kindred, as they directed most of their thorns at Nekaya and myself. Erim was spared because he did not come forward into the fray.

Tyree pushed us to continue our search quickly. We continued to follow the tracks at Rock's direction. As we moved yet deeper into the Winterwood, the darkness grew more oppressive and we saw increasing numbers of very large cobwebs strung between the trees. I think that all of us were dismayed by this foreboding atmosphere, though not so much as to abandon our chosen quest. We heard the sounds of plants being torn by something large and came face to face with an elk of awe-inspiring size. We retreated cautiously to avoid arousing its ire.

We emerged into a clearing that held the strangest sight I have yet seen. The remains of two stone towers stood connected by some lower structure. One tower was merely a stub surrounding an immense oak, while the other was partly supported by a construction of the giant webs we had seen. A great wall of webbing stood beyond the second tower, with a funnel-shaped opening leading off into impenetrable darkness. I fear we all determined that nothing would persuade us to enter that opening. It seemed unlikely to be necessary, however, for if the woman had been carried off by one of the dragon-creatures it could not have passed through the opening without tearing the webbing.

A pond stood at the foot of one of the towers, with the remnants of a pier extending out into it and some sort of lifting device. I wonder that anyone would choose to dwell in this unpleasant wood, but perhaps it was not so unpleasant when the towers stood whole. As we cast about for signs of where the missing woman might have been taken, an enormous insect alit behind our party. Rock at once made to attack it. I think that all of our nerves were on edge. Nekaya went to strike the insect, as did I, but a second creature appeared behind me, looming over Phaele and Sandrue. I turned and set my blades at it. The two insects were never able to harm us, being cut to pieces in a few breaths.

As we recovered from this latest encounter with unnatural creatures, we observed that there was a sort of nest in the oak. The carcass of another huge elk lay on the ground not far from where we stood, but oddly it did not appear to have been touched by wild beasts that devour carrion. Perhaps no ordinary beast wishes to touch the flesh of such unnatural things, or perhaps there is something here that frightens other creatures away.

The Drake in the Tower {note: I was actually absent during this session, so Telemnar's journal entry was created from discussions with my fellow players}

Once we had disposed of the enormous insects, we began to look about the area for signs of the Red Wizard’s missing companion. A vine upon the ground rose up and endeavored to entangle some members of our party. It was unable to hold anyone, and Rock slew it with the magical rod he had taken from the giant we ambushed near Camber.

This struggle, brief though it was, alerted the second dragon to our presence. When it descended upon us from its lair in the great oak, Nekaya at once rode forward to oppose it. The dragon spat a foul substance upon her and she fell as still as a figure of carven wood. Fortunately Liadan was able to pull her to safety and called upon the Morninglord’s blessing to free her.

Our horses were greatly disturbed by the presence of the dragon and I occupied myself with calming them while my companions battled the creature. Sandrue attempted to parley with the dragon, but it appeared that the slain dragon we had seen near the Thayans’ campsite was its mate and it would not be reasoned with. I was not able to provide much aid to my friends as I could not seem to make a shot that would penetrate its hide, but they soon brought the creature to its knees.

Rock then took pity on the dragon, not wishing to slay it, and administered a healing balm. He then tried to enlist its cooperation, or at least persuade it to let us depart unmolested, but despite his kindness the dragon would not be swayed. It scrambled up the great tree so that it could attack us from the safety of its lair.

In the meanwhile, Erim had cast an enchantment upon himself and floated up to the dragon's nest. There he found that the Red Wizard’s companion had already been slain, so he took up her body and began to descend. Just as he escaped from the dragon’s lair, the creature discovered that he had stolen its prize. Driven into a fury by this, it rose up intending to fling its paralyzing spittle at us, and Rock fired his crossbow at it. Though the potion he had administered to it had given it the strength to climb the tree, it was evidently still grievously wounded, for it plummeted to the ground, narrowly missing the descending Erim.

Once the threat of the dragon was eliminated, we began to argue over the nature of the agreement we had made with the Red Wizard. The wizard sought to take possession of a book of magic that the slain woman had carried. This book contained spells of necromancy, and a number of my compatriots - most particularly Nekaya - were reluctant to see this in the hands of a Thayan mage. After considerable discussion it was agreed that the book would be handed over to the wizard, though we all found it most distasteful to realize that he had suspected all along that his companion was dead and showed no sorrow for her demise. Once he had the book, he produced a scroll of magic and vanished.

Following the Thayan’s departure we explored the ruins of the towers for a time. We stumbled upon a number of valuable items. These included a mace of quicksilver that can alter its form, a unicorn horn containing healing magic, several holy emblems of the nature god Silvanus, and a chest of ironwood that Erim found among the roots of the vast oak tree. When we had gathered up these objects we made our way back to the Thayans’ campsite.

The Fountain of Yryss

We found that the bodies of the Thayan group had been looted when we reached their campsite. Rock had observed goblin tracks in the vicinity, and my sword was glowing. Pakin the goblin, who had not accompanied us to the ruins, reappeared and showed Nekaya where he had hidden the items he had taken from the bodies. There was no sign that the Red Wizard had returned to the camp. It occurred to us that he had not been properly attired for wilderness travel and he may have arrived by use of a spell in the same way that he departed.

One of the fallen was a priestess of Oghma, a god of Men devoted to accumulating knowledge. Among her belongings were a breastplate, buckler, and short sword of fine mithral. Sadly the sword was broken. I considered that the buckler might be useful to me, but as I am accustomed to fighting with a sword in each hand I concluded that it would not give me any advantage over my foes. Rock has taken charge of it, as well as the sword, which he hopes to repair.

We had thought that perhaps Phaele might find the breastplate useful as it might not hamper her spellcasting in the way that ordinary armor would, but Nekaya suddenly determined to try the armor herself, despite her reluctance to use anything associated with Thayan folk. She took time to perform a cleansing ritual to remove any evil influences from the armor. Sandrue found that the priestess had also carried several books, one of which he found most engrossing.

Liadan proposed that we lay the bodies to rest as best we could. The Thayans had brought digging implements with them, and we employed these to excavate a shallow pit in the frozen earth, with aid from Phaele’s spells to soften the ground. We were obliged to place all the bodies together in this pit as the ground was too hard to dig separate graves. We covered the excavation with stones to protect it from scavenging animals. Though Liadan is not much fonder of Thayans than Nekaya, she said a prayer to put the souls of the dead to rest.

After we had laid the dead to rest, we made a camp of our own a short distance away. As we settled down to consume our evening meal, Phaele spoke out more forcefully than I have ever heard her speak before. She berated the rest of us for behaving rashly during our battle with the dragon. Though she did not say as much, I think that much of her ire was reserved for Nekaya, who often charges the enemy with what seems little forethought, though truly she is filled with courage and faith in Horus-Re. But she is not the only member of our group who is guilty of rushing forward to meet our foes. Phaele made the point that we do not always avail ourselves of one another’s strengths. Both Phaele and Sandrue are able to cast spells which will benefit others in combat, and if we rush off to meet our foes we cannot take advantage of this magical aid. She also fears that she will harm one of us should we place ourselves between her and the intended target of her spells.

For myself, I will endeavor to keep her suggestions in mind in future. I am not certain what my companions will do. My friend Rock often seems to consider himself both invulnerable and expendable, but he has already discussed this with Phaele and has assured her he will not hold her at fault should one of her spells do him injury. Nekaya appeared slightly hurt by Phaele’s remarks, muttering something to the effect that she would remain at the rear of the group from now on. I doubt that her nature will permit her to adhere to such a strategy for long.

After this discussion, Rock and I took time to spar together. Rock has sought my aid in learning to wield two weapons. We hope to seek opportunities for our entire party to practice together as a group rather than in pairs, so that we may put Phaele’s suggestions into practice. Phaele thinks it odd that we are so disorganized after our months of service in Camber’s militia. But that situation was unlike our current state of affairs, as we must now learn to deal with many more surprises than we experienced in Camber.

The following morning, Sandrue told us of what he had read in the book he found so fascinating. The book gave information regarding the ruined towers. They had been built by a pair of druids who had come to investigate the presence of the fabled fountain of Yryss, whose waters could apparently grant numerous boons to those who partook of them. This aroused much interest among our group, particularly in Liadan, who was quite eager to return to the towers and seek the benefits of the waters. We considered whether the message we had agreed to deliver on behalf of Simon Baker was urgent enough that we should forego a return to the ruined towers, but we concluded that should we depart we might return at a later date to find the towers reinhabited by some monster as dangerous as the dragons, or worse.

In addition to discussing whether to seek the magical fountain, we also considered the matter of the symbols of Silvanus that we had taken from the ruins. Rock was determined that we should carry them to Arrabar and seek out some order of druids who might take charge of them. Erim feared that they might have been part of some magical warding to protect the fountain, though the symbols themselves radiated no magic. Some of the others also thought we ought to return the symbols to where we had found them, though not for the same reason as Erim. I felt that it was somewhat sacrilegious to remove the symbols, but Rock was so convinced that his course of action was the proper one that I think we might have come to blows had we tried to take the symbols back.

We made our way back to the towers as swiftly as we could. We at first assumed that the pool at the base of the tree tower was the site of the fountain of Yryss. The mages examined it for signs of magical energies but found none. We conjectured that the lifting tackle that had fallen into the pool might once have been used to lower supplicants into the center of the pond, where we surmised that the fountain might lie. Liadan and Rock were prepared to swim out to the center of the pool, being the strongest swimmers among us. Liadan attempted to pull up the chain attached to the lifting equipment, but it became snagged on some unknown obstacle beneath the water. {note: the GM later told us there was an apparatus of Kwalish in the pond!!}Sandrue then pointed out that the book he had found described a verse carved over the fountain. As there was no sign of carving in the vicinity of the pool, it was determined that we should examine the other ruins more thoroughly before continuing our investigation of the pond.

Since we had already searched the tree tower extensively on our first visit, we turned our attention to the second tower. We were still reluctant to enter it, for we could see that much of the structure was supported only by the giant webs that covered it. Some of the stonework actually swayed in the breeze like leaves, held in place by the webbing. I did not wish to meet the creature than made those webs. But the second tower seemed the only likely place to find a fountain, so we entered the remains of the corridor that connected the two towers. Nekaya and Phaele chose to remain outside to watch for danger from the wall of webbing beyond the second tower.
Rock proceeded down the corridor first. As he reached the midpoint of the hallway, the stone flooring suddenly opened beneath him. He managed to leap away from the opening and land on the opposite side of the deep shaft that had appeared below him. A voice suddenly shouted out a warning that there were intruders in the structure. Then a portion of the floor raised up like a limb and struck at Rock and myself, as I had moved up to the edge of the shaft. Liadan also moved forward and struck the amorphous limb. The appearance of the substance on the floor was no longer stony, but had become gray and slimy. It struck at Liadan and grabbed her in a sticky embrace. Rock then attempted to free her from the slime and became caught himself.

Evidently Nekaya must have heard the sounds of our struggle, for she came to our aid. There was a doorway in the corridor for which the door had fallen from its hinges and had been propped up against the doorjamb. Nekaya thrust aside this door and urged Pekawa up to the opening so that Liadan could catch hold of the reins and pull free of the gray slime. I had backed away from the slime to avoid becoming entangled myself, and I drew my bow and fired arrows into the sticky stuff. It was difficult to hit it without danger of hitting my friends. Phaele came up to the doorway and sent a sphere of magical flame to burn the slime creature. While the sphere burned and I continued to send arrows into the creature, Rock struggled to free himself.

At last the gray slime began to go slack, drooping down into the pit beneath it. Rock was soon hanging from the lip of the pit with the full weight of the monster dangling from his body. Even in death it retained its stickiness. I leapt across the pit and assisted him in freeing himself from the clinging corpse. The pit the creature had covered had no connection to any tunnel, so far as we could see, but it held the remains of some past victims. Once Rock was free the creature slumped to the bottom of the pit and covered the evidence of its past.

We tumbled some stones from the crumbling walls to allow the rest of our group to cross the pit and continue down the hallway. Once we entered the second tower we observed two staircases, one going up that had fallen in long ago, and a second descending beneath the tower. The descending stairs were choked with debris. Rock followed them down a short distance and observed that the area below smelled like the den of some large rodent. When he descended further he discovered the creature that laired below. An enormous badger emerged from the chamber and charged up the stairs. Rock backed up and shielded himself behind the mithral buckler. Erim attempted to cause the badger to fall asleep but his spell apparently failed to affect it. I fired arrows over Rock’s head. Liadan moved to the side of the stairwell entrance and seared the creature with a brilliant light. Rock was finally able to slay it with his hammer.

In the chamber below we found that the badger had destroyed much of what furnishing the room had held. But a door marked with the symbol of Silvanus still remained. A bluish light that rippled like the reflection from water shone from beneath the door. The door was not barred or locked. We entered a second chamber in which we saw a fountain on a pedestal, glowing with wavering blue light. Behind the fountain the stone was carved in some tongue I could not decipher, but the mages confirmed that it was the verse Sandrue had read to us from his book. As we observed this, the room abruptly lit up and a dark form rose from the waters of the fountain. The shape within the water spoke, saying "The power of the fountain is not mine, it will not be yours."

[EDIT - out-of-sequence section has now been moved to its correct place in the sequence. See below]

Last edited:

bump bump bump.

Hey Sniffles - that was a great combat encounter. When I read the "4 ogre shamans, 4 ogre bulls, 7 ordinary ogres, 13 orcs, and a female giant" I had some serious doubts about the attack. Turned out okay though, despite a load of you dropping.

Awaiting the next update - by the way, what level are these characters at the moment and how many sessions have you skipped?

Spider J

sniffles

First Post
Spider_Jerusalem said:
bump bump bump.

Hey Sniffles - that was a great combat encounter. When I read the "4 ogre shamans, 4 ogre bulls, 7 ordinary ogres, 13 orcs, and a female giant" I had some serious doubts about the attack. Turned out okay though, despite a load of you dropping.

Awaiting the next update - by the way, what level are these characters at the moment and how many sessions have you skipped?

Spider J

Hey, Spider!! Glad to know you're still following along. The next session probably won't be until next month, but I'm updating again with past info, so hopefully that will keep you satisfied until we play again. Our PCs are now 9th level. I skipped forward about 18 sessions to put up that last post. Since we usually play twice a month, I jumped forward a year and half of real-world time. I used to email these journal entries to the GM and other players, but now that I'm using Story Hour to present them I'd better get caught up soon! :D

[EDIT: I've moved the section referred to and it is now in the next post - the portion headed "The Ruined Temple"]

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Sorry for the long post - I'm finally getting this up to date. Below are about 6 months worth of journal entries.

The Blessings of the Fountain

The water creature rose up out of the fountain bowl, splashing all of us who had entered the room, and declared that it would not allow any other creature to enjoy the blessings of the fountain. Liadan and Sandrue conversed with the creature, attempting to persuade it to permit us to avail ourselves of the fountain's effects, but it refused. Sandrue then began to question the creature cleverly as to why it was unable to access the powers of the fountain itself. It knew nothing of the verse inscribed upon the wall behind it, being evidently unable to read the script any more than I could myself.
Though Erim was not standing within the fountain chamber, he cast a spell that permitted him to converse with us, though it seemed that his spell did not include Rock. It was his opinion that we should simply leave. He had no interest in testing the legend of the fountain's powers. Nekaya announced that the water creature was of an evil nature, loudly enough that the creature itself could hear her words. She was convinced that an evil creature should be removed from the fountain at once. The creature was not in the least perturbed by this announcement, however. It continued to converse with Sandrue, who begged its permission to use a spell to examine the fountain. Using Erim's spell of communication, he was able to tell us that he had discovered a stone in the bottom of the fountain pool that was marked with a rune. This stone was separate from the magic of the fountain itself.

After discovering this rune stone, Sandrue and Nekaya then began what appeared to be a heated discussion, though I understood nothing they said for they spoke in some tongue unknown to me. When Sandrue returned his attention to the water creature, it agreed that if Sandrue would tell it what he knew of the fountain, it would permit him to have whatever power remained once it had taken its share. I felt that the creature believed it would drain the fountain of all magic once it knew how to access the power. We all attempted to explain to it that we believed that the inscription was the key to obtaining the fountain's benefits. The creature appeared to think the verse meaningless because it had been inscribed there by 'lesser beings', though no one knows who is responsible for the fountain or the verse. I wonder if all such watery beings are so arrogant.

Sandrue agreed to tell the creature what he had learned from the book. I do not know precisely what the priestess's journal said, but I suspect that Sandrue, though normally a man of great honesty, dissembled when he spoke with the water creature. The creature told him he could remove the rune stone from the fountain and keep it, as the first part of their bargain. Being closest to the fountain at that point, Rock removed the stone. It gushed forth quantities of water when it was removed, but ceased when Rock shifted his grip so that he was no longer touching the rune. Sandrue explained by means of Erim's spell that the rune was one of water creation. When he questioned the water elemental further regarding this stone he learned that the creature had brought the stone to the fountain itself. The stone had no relation to the magic of the fountain.

All this while the creature had continued to insist that it would let no one but itself use the power of the fountain, once it had discovered how to do so. The inscription on the wall appeared to indicate that one must come to the fountain without evil or selfish intent in order to receive the fountain's benefits. Nekaya had questioned the water creature about its intent once it had gained the fountain's power, and it confessed that it might use the power to cause destruction. This convinced her more than ever that the creature must be removed from the fountain, but we could not determine how we might go about achieving this end. Sandrue begged leave of the creature to go outside the tower. Being supremely arrogant, the creature readily agreed.

Once we began to discuss what to do, we concluded that we must eliminate the creature. Nekaya feared it would impart an evil taint to the fountain. Erim continued to believe that we ought to let the creature alone. He suggested that it served unwittingly as a guardian of the fountain, and that as we had removed all other protections from the fountain by slaying the gray slime and the huge badger, we should not then leave the area unprotected. The rest of us felt it better to leave the fountain unguarded than in the hands of an evil being. We considered the possibility of collapsing the tower so that the fountain would be buried beneath the rubble.

As we feared that ordinary weapons would have little effect on a being made of water, the mages in our group formed a plan to cast several spells upon it at once in the hope that this would do it harm. This raised the concern that the already damaged tower might be brought down upon our heads. We determined that we might attempt to contain the power of their spells within the fountain chamber by shutting the door.

Rock volunteered to perform this task, being the hardiest among us. Sandrue worried that such an explosion of magics might harm the fountain, but became convinced that since the fountain had stood far longer than the tower had existed, then it was unlikely anything he or the other mages could do would seriously harm it.

We descended once more to the fountain chamber. Nekaya and Erim remained above ground to provide aid in the event that the tower collapsed. Before proceeding with our plan, Liadan asked the water creature if it would permit her to cast a spell upon it that would purify it, hoping to remove the evil from its nature. She had been granted a spell that would remove pollutants from water. But the creature, considering itself perfect, refused to permit this. Having concluded that we had no other choice, we then proceeded with our plan of attack.

As Rock flung open the door and called out to attract the creature's attention, Liadan, Sandrue and Phaele flung their most powerful spells into the chamber and Rock then slammed the door shut. I waited on the stairs in the event that my friends should need me. The tower shook and stones and rubble showered the room in which we stood. Phaele began to flee up the stairs. From above, Nekaya shouted for us to draw the water creature out. We heard water crash against the door. Liadan, Sandrue and myself followed Phaele's example and retreated from the underground room. As we ascended the stairs we heard the door burst from its hinges and the sound of water rushing behind us.

We ran out of the tower onto the hillside the sloped down from the structure, prepared to do battle with an angry being of water. Phaele attempted to burn it with a sphere of flame but it easily doused her magical fire. Liadan summoned up a magical mace and struck it. The creature then struck her back, but when she met it with a blow from the quicksilver mace we had found earlier, it appeared to suffer some injury. Phaele cast a bolt of lightning at the creature as she had done in the fountain room. Steam arose from its watery form and it appeared to shrink.

Though I still doubted that I could do much to harm the creature, when I saw that Nekaya's enchanted weapon seemed to injure it, I struck with the sword my wife had given me that glows in the presence of goblins. Like a punctured bladder the creature fell to the ground and flowed downhill. It behaved as ordinary water without will or thought. One of the mages assured us that it would not arise to attack us again.

Having successfully disposed of the evil water elemental, most of our party descended once more to the fountain chamber. Some stones from the upper part of the tower had fallen into the room where the badger had laired, but the fountain room was undamaged. Sandrue was firmly convinced that employing the words of the inscription would invoke the power of the fountain, though a portion of the inscription was damaged and could not be read. Sandrue chose to be the first to test his conviction. After only a few moments he emerged from the water subdued, yet proclaiming that he saw the world with greater clarity. For him the fountain no longer shone with its blue light, though the rest of us could still see it.

When Phaele entered the fountain she stated that she came without conceit, one of the phrases of the inscription. Her experience was similar to Sandrue's, though the grace she received was not of the same variety, and she too could no longer see the fountain's glow. One by one we each proceeded to enter the pool and sip the water with varying effect, though we all knew that we had received some blessing. For myself I requested that the fountain bestow whatever blessing it found me most worthy of. I feel that I have become somehow more graceful as a result of this experience.

Liadan asked to be alone while she experienced the fountain's waters. She seemed to have gained some small measure of peace once she returned. Of all our companions only Erim declined to avail himself of the fountain, though he gave no explanation of his refusal.

During the time that the rest of us were within the fountain chamber, Nekaya had remained outside to watch for further dangers. Pakin reported to her that he had observed a very large spider climbing about in the great oak tree. Nekaya asked that Erim cast his spell of flotation upon her so that she could observe the spider. She reported to us later that the spider behaved as an ordinary spider would and was not in any manner threatening, but she still believed that the spiders should be destroyed. I am not overly fond of spiders myself, as they are emblems of the hated dark elves, but I saw no reason to slay them if they did not threaten us.

We were uncomfortable still with the presence of the huge webs, and retreated to the camp we had established on the previous evening to consider what if anything we might do to protect the fountain. We feared that other Thayan wizards might know of its existence and seek it out. Most likely we will leave the care of this place in the hands of the druids of Arrabar. I wish that my dear wife were here to offer her wisdom. Though I made my request of the fountain in the name of Lord Corellon, the fountain's magic is not divine in nature according to the mages. Were it possible I would have prayed that any blessing it offered me be given to my beloved Erendis in my stead. I must look to the journey to Arrabar to keep my thoughts from sorrow.

Arrabar

Six days following our experience at the fountain of Yryss, we arrived in the city of Arrabar. Our journey there was quite uneventful but for a brief visit to Nimpeth to obtain some supplies. Arrabar may be the largest city I have yet seen on my travels. It is certainly the largest city of Men I have encountered.

When we approached the city we observed that travelers were being admitted slowly and a line had formed upon the road leading to the city gates. We assumed a position in the line and were resigned to awaiting entry for some time. City guards patrolled the line to keep order, and Nekaya called upon them to ask what caused the delay. We were told that there was some outbreak of disease in the neighboring town of Fort Arran and all person entering the city were being examined for signs of illness to avoid spreading the disease.

As the guards explained this to us, one of them noted the medallion Liadan wears, which was presented to her by Covenant. He recognized the device of Covenant's house and accorded Liadan much respect as a result. We were told that we might remove ourselves from the line at the main gate and enter the city through a postern gate that was being employed to speed the entry of persons of high rank. As we made our way toward the smaller gate, we found that we had acquired an unknown addition to our number. A stranger seeking to gain swifter entry to the city had attached himself to us. Nekaya politely but firmly turned him away, unwilling to extend such courtesy to a stranger who had come uninvited. To the amusement of my companions, this man was made to remove himself to the end of the line rather than resuming his former place.

After a brief delay at the postern to demonstrate that we did not carry any illness, we entered the city of Arrabar. We were approached by a youth who offered to show us to a nearby inn, but Sandrue remarked that we might find less costly lodging at a distance somewhat more removed from the gates. We settled upon an establishment called the Bonded Sword, which boasts fine stables. Nekaya insisted upon this and I am happy to concur with her choice. The name of the inn appears to refer to the prevalence of mercenaries in this city, for it seems that the city's lord and many of its nobles maintain private armies. As we all bear arms we have been mistaken for hired swords on several occasions.

Once we had settled upon sharing a room in order to allay some of the cost of lodgings, we settled in the common room to discuss what we planned to do during our stay. Though there had been some concern for urgency in delivering Simon Baker's message, we now determined to seek further information about the person to whom the message was directed, for we were all concerned as to the significance of this message to ourselves and our missing companions. We feel confident that the persons referred to in the message are our friends, but we do not know if their being watched is an omen of good or ill.
In addition to learning more about the intended recipient of the message, several of us had other tasks we wished to accomplish during our stay in the city. Rock and I both wish to acquire shirts of chain mail. I have felt need of heavier armor during our time in Camber and our travels here. Rock is equipped with sturdy armor, but seeks something lighter that he may don easily if we are set upon while resting. He also wished to acquire a space in which to practice his art of metalworking. Liadan expressed a desire to seek more information about the House of Covenant, as she was evidently somewhat surprised by the deference she had received from the city guards. Sandrue and Phaele meant to visit a great library where they could research some of the matters relating to Covenant's quest and his absence. Nekaya has been here before and has friends to see. Erim intended to seek out an organization of wizards, but it seems that the folk of Arrabar are not friendly toward wizards. Having nothing else he wished to do, he agreed to accompany Liadan to the House of Covenant.

Rock also sought to find devotees of the god Silvanus to whom he could entrust the emblem we had acquired at the ruined fortress. As Silvanus is a god of untouched nature, it seemed unlikely that we would find any of his priests in the city. But there is a large garden here which is tended by priests of Chauntea, and he thought perhaps that they might know where he could find priests of Silvanus, as Chauntea and Silvanus are allied. I offered to accompany him on his visit to the gardens.

We found as we traveled through the city that there are few folk of either of our kindred here, other than those who may have come with mercenary companies. The custodians of the gardens were somewhat surprised by our appearance together, I think. Rock met with a priestess who knew of an enclave of followers of Silvanus some distance outside the city. She offered to send any message he chose to that enclave. Rock agreed to return on the following morning to deliver his message.
When we met with our companions for the evening meal, we learned interesting news from Liadan. The House of Covenant is not so much the concern of Covenant's family, as I had thought, as it is a place for those who seek a new beginning to find one. Liadan told us that she had met a woman called Leonna, whose name had been mentioned by the city guards who directed us to the postern gate. This woman is apparently the leader of the House of Covenant, though according to Liadan she is relatively young. She also has silver hair as does Liadan; a curious coincidence, as I have observed that silver hair is uncommon among Men except among those of great age. Liadan's medallion accords her high rank among the folk of Covenant's House.

Among others she met there she encountered a person who she suspected of having demonic blood, an individual called Scorch. Covenant's House offers redemption to all who come, regardless of their origin. Liadan reported that Leonna appeared to know Covenant well and was not greatly concerned by his absence or the tale of what had befallen his mighty steed Califax.

After our meal we very nearly found ourselves involved in a fight, but cooler heads prevailed. Liadan had obtained a book written by Covenant during her visit to the House, and was engrossed in it when several of the inn's other patrons approached her. She was obliged to use physical force to deter their attentions, but fortunately none of them attempted to retaliate. Oddly, Rock appeared somewhat disappointed by this turn of events.
Rock has found a location in which he may pursue his arts during our stay. Nekaya has met with her friend, a merchant's daughter called Siorra Farr, and our party has been invited to dine with her tomorrow. Nekaya has already introduced Liadan to Siorra and they apparently got on quite well. Liadan has returned to the House of Covenant to participate in services at the shrine of Lathander, and means to ask Leonna what she knows of the assassins who attempted to slay Simon Baker. Sandrue and Phaele will presumably continue their researches at the library. For myself, I will seek Rock's assistance in acquiring a shirt of chain, and enjoy the sights and sounds of this ancient and vibrant city. I only wish that Erendis were here with me to increase my pleasure of this experience. May Lord Corellon protect her and reunite us soon.

The Rescue (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

On our third day in the city of Arrabar, I returned from a morning exercising Aratan to meet my companions in the Bonded Sword. Liadan had returned to the Covenant House yet again to attend morning service at the shrine of Lathander there. As I arrived she was relating to Nekaya that she had met one of the guards we encountered on our arrival at the city, and he had informed her that some enemy of the lady Leonna had been seen within the city walls. Liadan naturally wished to go and advise Leonna of this matter.

The guard with whom she had spoken appeared concerned that this enemy might mistake Liadan for Leonna, due to their similar appearance. The rest of our company informed Liadan that we did not wish her to travel to Covenant House alone, in light of this concern. As we had agreed to join Nekaya for a midday meal with her friend Siorra Farr, we concluded that we should hire a carriage to transport us first to Covenant House to speak with Leonna and then to the Farr estate. Rock declined to accompany us, being much involved with the smithing project he has begun.

Before departing for Covenant House, we had some brief discussion regarding the matters that had brought us to Arrabar, most particularly the message from Simon Baker. Sandrue had attempted to learn more of Simon Baker's uncle, Solomon Baker, who is the chief pastry cook in the service of this city's lord, Eles Wianar. Sandrue had not been able to garner much information regarding the nature of Solomon Baker's personality, but he indicated that Lord Eles Wianar is known as a man of somewhat evil reputation. Nekaya was concerned that anyone in his employ might also have evil intent, though I doubt this myself. As other among my friends remarked, a man known for devious dealings is more like to recognize in others those qualities he himself possesses, and hence be unwilling to have such persons in positions of trust. Still, we cannot be certain that Solomon Baker has good intentions toward Covenant and his companions. Nor am I wholly convinced that Simon Baker's cryptic message does indeed refer to our missing friends, though it seems most likely that it does. I have transcribed the message here just as it was given to us:

the choir has not passed through the

first gate no

blood on

the last son between broken heights

shadows grow cold

I have retained the peculiar meter of this missive as it was given. Jastra Moondown spoke of our friends as being the choir, we visited the First Gate Inn in Camber, and the mountains in the vicinity are known as the Cloven Mountains. All of this leads us to believe that this message does reference Covenant's company. We believe that someone has been observing them or watching for their arrival, though for what reason we have not yet been able to discern. I have thought of seeking a diviner to ask for news of my Erendis. Perhaps I will also seek further clarification of this peculiar missive.

Concluding that we could further pursue such inquiries later, we prepared ourselves for our journey. The Covenant House is an ordinary structure near the Generon, the palace of Lord Wianar. It is decorated with murals and the motto "Every day is a new beginning", a phrase that is certainly reminiscent of Covenant. When we arrived we found that the residents therein were mobilizing for some armed activity. As we waited, Liadan went to meet privately with Leonna for a moment to impart her message. Suddenly a most startling individual came rushing out of Leonna's office. Had it not been for Liadan's previous description of him I might have thought him one of the hated drow, for his skin was grayish in color. I caught a scent of brimstone as he hurried past and recognized that this must be the unusual individual called Scorch whom Liadan had encountered there on the previous day.

Leonna came from her office for a moment and we were able to see why the guardsman feared Liadan might be mistaken for her. Like Liadan, she has silver hair, though streaked with a darker shade at the temples. Leonna informed us that someone who had been attempting to obtain sanctuary in the House had been seen recently but had been waylaid. She and her compatriots were preparing to effect a rescue once the person's whereabouts were known. After being introduced to Leonna, who remarked that she had once met my dear Erendis, we offered to assist in any way that we could. Leonna accepted our offer and told us she would send a messenger to seek us if our help was needed. We then made our way back to the Bonded Sword so that Liadan could fetch her armor, her attire not being adequate for the sort of activity Leonna evidently expected to occur. Once Liadan was equipped we took our hired carriage to the Farr estate as planned.

We enjoyed a pleasant meal with Siorra Farr and her mother, then returned to the inn. There was no message from Leonna at that time. Liadan then took the opportunity to share a reveleation with all of us: Covenant is not merely her mentor, but her father! Leonna is also his daughter. Liadan, who has grown up in the company of twelve brothers, is rather pleased to now have a sister, I think. Most of my companions congratulated her on finding that she now has two fathers and a sister, and we assured her that we would do nothing to bring shame to her adopted father in Cormyr. Nekaya, however, was somewhat disturbed by this information, evidently believing that all paladins are too pure to have relations with married women. Liadan confessed that Covenant was ashamed to have abandoned her in her childhood, and that his quest for the sword is in part an atonement for his misdeed. This news certainly clarifies why Liadan has been so determined to do whatever is necessary to find Covenant.

Liadan wished to share this news also with Rock, who was still working at the smithy where he had acquired a space. I accompanied her there. On our arrival Rock at once ordered Liadan outside so that she might not see what he is preparing. He has not shared this with me either, but he did not ask me to leave. Liadan shared her news with him and he too met it as favorable. When we had told him of Leonna's affairs and our offer of assistance to her, he wished to set off at once to seek the armor he and I both wish to purchase. I was prepared to join him, but at that moment Nekaya arrived to inform us that Leonna had sent for us. Rock snatched up his armor and we hurried off to Covenant House once more, while Erim went to the great library to seek Sandrue and Phaele, who had returned to their researches there.

Phaele joined us at Covenant House a few moments after our arrival, and informed us that she and Sandrue had been working in separate areas and Erim had not yet been able to locate him. Earlier she had indicated to Leonna that she was uncertain what aid she could be as she is a mage and such folk are not well liked here. Leonna had informed her that there is no law forbidding wizardry in Arrabar. I hope that this was heartening to Erim also, as he has appeared rather dour since our arrival here.

When we met with Leonna again she was prepared to set off in search of the man Judas whom she intended to aid. Then Scorch arrived and informed her of an even more troubling situation requiring her attention. Another man called Nikos had been taken prisoner by a dark sorcerer named Palan. Leonna evidently had some dispute with Nikos but felt she must do whatever she could to aid him. However, she could not go herself for she had sworn dire oaths to slay him when next she saw him!

Scorch explained further that Palan held Nikos in a former temple of the foul god Baal. Palan is a servant of a Shade called Malastori. What he intended to do with Nikos was unclear, but Leonna was very concerned for Nikos's safety. Since she could not go herself she asked us to take on this task, and we agreed. With Scorch as our guide through the city, we set off for the temple at a hurried pace.

It was late afternoon when we arrived, but that did not explain the impenetrable darkness we encountered as we approached the temple entrance. Scorch warned us that we would have to enter through the front doorway, as the other entrances had all been sealed. Though several of us, myself included, have weapons which glow with magical auras, the light of our arms was lost in that darkness. Liadan extended Lathander's blessings to us before we entered the structure. She was able to make out a sinister pillar within the temple from which the darkness radiated. She called upon Lathander's might to dispel the darkness but was unsuccessful.

Though we were all reluctant to separate, we split into two groups to proceed down the aisles along the sides of the chamber, where the darkness was less intense. I joined Nekaya and Phaele. We caught sight of a vaguely dog-like shape at the opposite end of the aisle, and heard a fearful howling. Pakkin the goblin, who had come with Nekaya, suddenly squealed in terror and fled from the temple. The rest of us headed toward the creature. It appeared that our companions on the opposite side of the chamber faced a similar foe, though I could not see them. I caught a glimpse of a burst of flame and heard Liadan and Rock running together. Then my attention was drawn back to my own situation as the dog-creature vanished.

A moment later a shadowy form struck Nekaya and bore her to the floor. I could not find the creature with my blades. Nekaya backed up while still on the floor and then got to her feet. Phaele blasted an area with a bolt of lightning, which briefly outlined the creature, but not for long enough that I could improve my aim. Then the beast knocked me over. Even when it was almost atop me I could not strike it. The shadowy hound leapt upon Phaele next and tumbled her from her feet. She managed to roll to her feet again and cast another spell at the area it appeared to occupy. At the same time I felt my sword connect with something solid. A shape resembling a mastiff appeared in midair as we attacked it, then fell to the ground in a heap.

At the same moment I realized that we were under attack by archers in the gallery overhead, as an arrow lodged in my leg. Being unable to locate these opponents, we elected instead to run toward the exit from the chamber that had originally been occupied by the shadow hound. I could hear Rock and Liadan moving out of the chamber as we ran.

The Dark Heart of Arrabar

As we exited from the darkened entry area and reunited with our companions and Scorch, we received a startling item of news from the demonic fellow. He exclaimed that we must hurry to find Nikos, else Leonna would never forgive him for letting her brother die!. Naturally Liadan was most interested in this remark. But we did not have time for her to question Scorch further on this matter, for Rock began to hurry down the corridor, wearing that look of concentrated fury that I have come to know well.

Rock attempted to kick open the first door he came to, though it took Liadan's assistance to succeed and revealed nothing of interest to us. We observed a light at the end of a long corridor and chose to investigate it. The light emanated from an ornate doorway. As we ran down another long corridor toward the door, Rock and Scorch were struck by darts fired by some hidden mechanism within the walls. I took several darts as well, but though painful they did not impede my determination. Still, when we arrived at the door we chose to hang back and permit Rock to approach on his own. We have all learned well that he is much hardier than any of us.

Rock pushed open the door, which was not barred, and was met by a tremendous blast of sound. It seems the room was trapped as the corridor had been - evidently a common feature of such temples to foul gods. Rock was not seriously harmed by the blast, however, and emerged from the room beyond with no news of discovering Nikos. Several side chambers also proved to contain nothing of interest. We paused for a moment to permit Liadan and Nekaya to provide divine healing to those of us who had been struck by the darts. Then we turned and proceeded back down the corridor toward the chamber where we had first entered the temple.

We found that we had passed by a staircase when we ran down the corridor. We took this stair cautiously downward, presuming that the most important portions of the temple structure must lie underground. A hall led off from the stairway in two directions. Rock saw that the floor was dusty but marked with recent footprints in only one direction. As we proceeded down that corridor we heard a voice ahead challenging us. Scorch then called back to the unseen presence, claiming that we were servants of the temple. The person to whom he spoke did not appear to be convinced, and warned us to stop our advance or face death. Rock rumbled at him threateningly. Erim then sought to cast a spell upon the man, but because the fellow stood at a corner and was partly concealed by a wall the magic did not strike him. The man, obviously a sentry, shouted out a warning to his fellows.

Nekaya left us then to attempt to come at our foes from the opposite direction, hoping that this portion of the temple was laid out in a symmetrical fashion as the upper level had been. The rest of our group rushed forward to engage the sentry before reinforcements could arrive to aid him. Phaele plied an impressive spell in which she merely blows upon a crossbow bolt to send it from her hand. Rock charged at the sentry but moved so precipitously that his swing failed to connect. I was able to move up behind him and strike with my blades, as was Liadan. Scorch demonstrated that he has some magical - or perhaps infernal - ability as he blasted the man with eldritch energy.

A second guard appeared down the corridor beyond our opponent, but upon seeing the number of our party he fled into a side chamber. The man we fought attempted to run as well but Rock and I brought him down. Rock ran to the room where the second sentry had disappeared and moved inside, taking up a position to the left of the doorway. I followed him and moved to the right. We found ourselves in a short hallway. Liadan ran in after us and stood directly opposite the door with her back to the wall, while Scorch brought up the rear of our quartet. I lost sight of Phaele as she remained in the corridor with Erim.

As we moved beyond the entry of this new chamber, I observed a sleeping mat on the floor in a nearby alcove. Rock and I moved around the opposite sides of the central room, Liadan with me and Scorch with my dwarven friend. We emerged into a room containing some type of summoning circle inscribed upon the floor, flanked by an altar. Beyond the altar, a man sat in an ordinary chair, bound and in a stupor. This, Scorch indicated, was Nikos. Thinking we had been fortunate enough to find him unguarded, we hurried forward to free him.

Rock reached the insensible Nikos first, but as he approached a man appeared suddenly beside him and struck at him with a fearsome blade. Scorch called out a warning that his man was Palan, the necromancer we had been told of. Liadan flung a blast of divine energy at him but it did not connect with his body. Scorch too was unable to strike Palan with a burst of his own. As I moved forward to aid my friend, I detected two men hiding in another alcove behind me. Some strange force suddenly took hold of me and I found myself oddly less able in my actions. Then Rock struck Palan a mighty blow and the evil mage vanished.

I found myself facing a man I later leaned was Erril, the man who sought to harm Leonna. He was the leader of a group known as the Whisper Knives. I found his fighting style most peculiar, featuring strange movements of his weapons that made his blows difficult to counter. Liadan came forward to aid me but found herself facing his companion. Erril was so quick with his blades that he was able to strike both myself and Liadan. On one occasion when Liadan swung her mace at him he was able to redirect her blow so that she hit me instead, much to her chagrin. I could not stop Erril from slipping past me to attack Rock, who was engaged with another man later revealed to be Erril's brother.

At some point during our struggle Phaele entered the chamber and struck Erril with a spell of sound. Erim then ran in and cast some spell that gave great speed to myself, Liadan, and Nekaya, who had also arrived. Despite this I still found it difficult to touch Erril with my swords. I am not quite certain how we were able to defeat the Whisper Knives, for all our actions happened so quickly that I cannot even fully recall my own movements, let alone those of my friends. Liadan and I entrapped Erril in a corner and were able to bring him low at last. In the meanwhile the others had somehow noticed a presence in the room that could not be seen, and Phaele struck this presence with a burst of electricity that felled it. It was most impressive to see smoke rising from an invisible shape upon the floor. Phaele had struck down Palan himself, as we learned once his spell ceased to function.

We employed the potion that Leonna had given to Scorch to awaken Nikos. His captors had for some unknown reason left him with all of his weapons, so Rock used his immovable rod to pin Nikos so that he would not attack us when he awoke. Phaele then noticed that one of the Whisper Knives who had fallen upon the magical inscription on the floor was not bleeding sufficiently to account for his wounds. Nekaya feared that the blood was somehow empowering the circle to summon up some terrible force to beset the city. She would gladly have remained in the temple alone to face a demon had such been the case, though the rest of us were worn and several of us were badly wounded. Scorch had very nearly died, though I believe that Nekaya's healing power had saved him. Fortunately Erim assured us that the magic did not appear to be calling any evil force to the temple. We gathered up the bodies of the fallen necromancer and the Whisper Knives to claim the bounty that Scorch told us had been placed upon them, and made our way out of the temple.

Once we emerged into the entry of the temple we found ourselves facing a group of mercenaries and a horrifying creature, a mind-flayer, cradling a yowling cat in its arms. It seems that this foul denizen of the Underdark has taken charge of the district of the city in which the temple lies, and holds some considerable authority there. It is no wonder that the city's lord has a dark reputation if he permits such creatures to hold sway in his demesne. Our eyes were drawn unwillingly to note that the mind-flayer appeared to be feeding upon the helpless and still-living cat as we watched. Nekaya could not restrain her distaste and spoke boldly to the creature, openly calling it evil. The monster appeared merely amused by her indignation, though it was difficult to determine what its mood truly was as it had no face such as we could comprehend and it spoke with us only in our thoughts. I told it my name when it asked. I fear that we have made powerful enemies here in Arrabar, as the creature indicated when it reminded us that the wizard Palan was an associate of a Shade.

The mind-flayer did not appear to be concerned with the deaths of the Whisper Knives and admonished us to be certain to report their deaths to the proper authorities within a certain time period, else it should seek us out. It then departed without further questions. Nekaya hurried off ahead of our group to warn the folk at Covenant House of our impending arrival. The rest of us came along more slowly, using a spell of Erim's to transport the bodies of the men we had slain. We were eventually accosted by another group of guards, who called a wagon to carry the bodies.

We arrived at Covenant House with a little trepidation, for Leonna had told us she had sworn to kill Nikos when next she saw him, and we naturally wished to prevent this. But when Liadan attempted to forestall Leonna from approaching her brother, Leonna grew quite angry. Liadan reluctantly stepped aside, and we were witness to a happy reunion between brother and sister. It seems that Covenant House is indeed a place of new beginnings.

New Friends and Farewells (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

In the space of two days I have experienced considerable pain, sorrow, and one of the most exhilarating events of my life.

We returned from our venture at the temple much the worse for it, as I think that most of us were sorely wounded but for Phaele and Erim. Liadan kindly extended her god's blessings to me such that I recovered from most of my injuries. But we all were wounded in another fashion after we returned to the Bonded Sword.

We found Sandrue waiting for us in the common room. He had not returned in time to join us at the temple, and in fact had not known where we were. During his absence he had come to a decision to part company with us for a time. He has in the past expressed the opinion that his talents are insufficient to our goals. I disagree and have told him so, but he must find his own path in life. At least for now that path does not lie with the rest of our small company. He would not look at Phaele when he told us of this, though I am certain they must have had more heartfelt discussions of the matter than I know of.

Erim offered up a method by which we might remain in contact with Sandrue when we leave Arrabar. Jastra had given him two enchanted books, such that anything written in one immediately appears also in the other. He gifted one of these to Sandrue that he might send us messages. I think Rock would have liked to have such a thing for himself so that he might continue his many conversations with Sandrue, but Erim would not sell an object that had been given him by his mentor.

In return, Sandrue gave to Liadan a wand he had acquired in Camber, which is made of unicorn horn and endowed with healing magic. After receiving our good wishes he did not linger at the inn. The rest of us went to our bedchamber with heavy hearts.

When we rose the next morning we found that Rock had gone out without speaking to anyone. While we ate our morning repast, we were visited by Nikos, who came to thank us for rescuing him. He has chosen to follow the tennets of Lathander and make a new start in life, and this would likely have been impossible without our assistance. Our regret at Sandrue's decision was alleviated somewhat by Nikos' sincere gratitude. He also brought us much-needed information relating to Covenant and his quest.

Nikos admitted that the reason the wizard Palan had captured him had to do with his former employment as a minion of the Shade Malastori. I know little of the Shades but that an emmissary of their kind had come to Evereska before I departed from that place, and that they have some connection to the Anauroch Desert. Erim told us more of their history and their relationship to the ancient Netherese people whose empire fell so long ago. Nikos no longer wishes to serve Malastori, and knows that Malastori has an interest in Covenant's activities. He also told us that Solomon Baker, the uncle of Simon Baker to whom we were to deliver Simon's message, is a master of spies in the employ of Lord Wianar. Malastori has an interest in Lord Wianar's activities also.

I am certain now that we should not keep our promise to deliver Simon Baker's message. Some of the others are still not entirely convinced, I think, but none are eager to continue that mission. Nikos asked for our aid in seeking out Malastori. Although he desires vengeance against the Shade for his own treatment, he also wishes to defeat Malastori's plans, which he knows to be opposed to Covenant's goals. After considerable discussion we agreed to do what we could to assist Nikos and foil Malastori. We also showed him the message that Simon Baker had given us. In his opinion it does indeed refer to our absent companions, whom he has heard spoken of as the "chorus of Light".

Nikos wanted to seek out a contact at the Generon, Lord Wianar's fortress. He hoped this person could direct him to Malastori's location. He sought the aid of Phaele and Liadan, as he hoped they would be less conspicuous than others of our party. Since Rock had departed to work in his rented forge, I decided to spend the day seeking out a shrine to Corellon Larethian that I had heard of. I wished to seek guidance from my lord, and it had been many months since I last set foot in a holy place dedicated to him.

Before I departed, Phaele was able to determine that a chain shirt and a short sword we had acquired as part of the bounty for the Whisper Knives were both enhanced by magic, though nothing of any great power. I have gladly accepted both the armor and the sword. Thus equipped, I set out for the Rookery, the tower of Lord Wianar's gryphon riders, who I had been told were of my kindred.

When I arrived at the tower I rang the bell and heard a voice call out in the common tongue that I might enter. Upon entering I found several men of my kindred there, all relaxing as soldiers do when they have no duties. One strummed a lute, another repaired a saddle of unusual design, and two more were practicing their fencing skill with rapiers. The fellow who worked on his saddle expressed some small surprise that another person of his own kind had come. They told me at once that the gryphon riders needed no more men, and I replied that I only wished to avail myself of their company and their shrine. The one with the saddle made an off-hand comment that I might be seeking Erendis. Though my heart leapt at the sound of her name, I held my tongue, knowing that she is likely not the only woman of our people to bear that name.

When they said that Erendis was not here, I replied that the Erendis I knew would not be here, which seemed to amuse the saddle-repairer. He made several remarks that might have been taken as immodest were I so inclined. They directed me to the shrine, informing me that there was no need to leave any donation. I had intended to do so, and told them I wished that my donation be used toward the upkeep of the shrine, as Erendis would wish it. I then went to meditate for a time within the shrine.

I regret that I felt no particular inspiration regarding my beloved's whereabouts, but my time in the shrine did give me a sense of peace. When I emerged my kinsmen made several remarks regarding Erendis and the shrine and I knew then that we spoke of the same person. I had known from Leonna's remarks that my wife had visited Arrabar in company with Covenant. As our conversation continued we at last came to introductions. Once I told them my name they knew who I was. Evidently my wife had spoken of me. Their demeanor grew much warmer after that point, and the fellow who had made several sly comments regarding her earlier was now most ashamed and made many apologies. His name is Rohon. His companions were Culin, Mahtar and Megil.

They offered then to show me their mounts, the famed gryphons. Such creatures are entirely unlike horses, I now realize. As horses are in nature animals of prey, gryphons are the sort of creatures that prey upon horses. But when Rohon offered to allow me to ride his steed, I could not refuse. Soaring out over the city astride such a fabulous creature is an experience I will never forget.

I hope that Rock will return soon so that I may share my story with him. I think he will find it amusing - though I doubt he would have taken Rohon's initial remarks with good grace. If only Erendis were here to have ridden the gryphon at my side. May Lord Corellon protect her wherever she is.

Silent Danger (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

I have still not had an opportunity to share the story of my day among the gryphon-riders with my friend Rock. I suppose it is just as well, for he does not seem greatly receptive to such a tale at present.

I rejoined my companions for the evening meal at the Bonded Sword, and as we now had our full number present save Sandrue, and Nikos was with us also, our conversation turned to the matter of our reason for coming to Arrabar: the message from Simon Baker. Rock had not been present for our previous discussion, and he now asked, why would Simon Baker give his message to us if his uncle meant our missing friends and family harm? Liadan wears Covenant's emblem openly, so Simon Baker must have known she had some relation to him, and we presume that Simon Baker also knew what reason his uncle had for observing our friends.

This had not occurred to the rest of us, and we now reconsidered our chosen course of action regarding the delivery of the message. Rock is a dwarf of his word and he is reluctant to break his promise unless we have more definitive proof that Simon Baker's uncle is an enemy. We concluded that some of us might approach the spymaster and inform him of his nephew's condition, thereby taking the opportunity to observe him and gain some insight into his nature. To best use this chance it will likely be Liadan, Nekaya and Phaele who will seek to meet with him, as they can better sense his motives.

We retired to our bechamber, Nikos joining us there as we hope he will be safer in our company. I had settled on my cot to write in my journal while my companions slept. Suddenly I heard a scratching at the window. When I went to investigate I was met by a most peculiar sight: a ferret stood upon the sill, seemingly performing a dance! When I approached the window to open it the creature darted away. Then I realized that someone had entered the room behind me.

I saw a shower of what appeared to be copper coins striking the floor, but they fell without sound. I could not hear my companions' breathing nor any other sound. Then a brilliant orb of blue-white light flew into the room and burst in an explosion of chill air that left me cold to my bones. The cold woke my sleeping friends. Several figures ran into the room brandishing weapons. I saw a fellow with orcish features bearing a fearsome double axe, a woman who appeared to be of elven blood wielding a longsword and a flaming dagger, and a dwarven woman with an ordinary axe. Someone had jammed a spike into the floor to prevent the door to the room being shut again.

Nikos sprang to his feet near me and the orcish man and elvish woman both turned their attention to him, though the woman struck at me first. I attempted to grab her from behind but failed to hold her. I then turned to take up my swords. The eerily silent battle seemed to me to pass very slowly, though I am sure that was only an effect of the lack of sound.

All of those of my companions who are able to cast spells found that they could do little with their magics, for most of their spells require them to chant or pray. Phaele plied one spell she knew that did not need speech. Liadan fought the orcish man, while Nekaya faced the dwarf woman. Erim caught up one of the cots and stood it on end in the doorway, as I later learned, to prevent a woman mage in the hallway from casting her spells into the room.

Nikos soon felled the elvish woman, though he took considerable hurt from both her and the orcish fellow. Another assailant had slipped into the room invisibly but Rock felled him swiftly. Nikos fortunately found that this foe had a potion of healing in his possession. I moved up behind the orcish man to assist Liadan but I was not able to do him much injury. Liadan slew him. I saw Rock push past Erim into the passageway. When her other companions were slain, the dwarf woman ran for the windows and I slashed her as she passed me.

In the hall Rock faced off with the woman mage, who bore a longspear. Erim had run up beside Rock but was not using his sword. I followed them out of the room, to find yet another enemy just outside the door. Erim moved up beside me, for Rock had felled the mage with a mighty blow. Seeing two opponents - and then three when Liadan emerged from our room - the man before me turned and fled. Thinking that we should question him as to who had sent his party against us, I pursued him to the rear exit of the inn.

The man ran halfway down the rear steps and then leapt off into the darkened street. I sprang down behind him, and as I ran after him I felt myself begin to move more swiftly, much as I had felt during the battle in the dark temple. Erim had cast a spell upon me. Under its effect I was able to catch the fleeing villain and strike him down. Erim then came to aid me in carrying him back to the inn.

When we returned we found that all of the other assailants were dead but the dwarf woman, who had jumped from the window and attempted to flee but had been caught by Nikos and Rock. Rock was furious that one of his people would stoop to assassination. We were told by other patrons of the inn that the woman with the spear had carried a seal indicating that she was a licensed bounty hunter. This seal turned out to be a forgery, verified by the city guardsmen who soon arrived. Before they appeared Nikos questioned the dwarf woman, who told us that a Thayan called Corvus Highstaff had offered to sell them magic items at a reduced price in exchange for our deaths.

Some of my companions recalled that this Corvus Highstaff had been an apprentice of Nethimil, the Thayan wizard we encountered when we first arrived in this part of the world. I do not think we did much to threaten his companions during that conflict, but our mere presence in the company of Covenant appears to have made us his enemies. It seems unlikely that he will receive any sanction for his actions, since he did not openly hire the group of "bounty hunter" to slay us, and the Thayans have a treaty with the people of Arrabar that will likely protect him from punishment.*

Liadan kindly extended the new beginning of Covenant House to the dwarf woman once she has served her imprisonment for her attempt on us, but she did not appear much interested. Once the guards had taken her away, we found that their mage had cast a spell of silence upon the copper coins I saw, which they cleverly placed in a small lead coffer so that they could release them at need and disguise which coin held the magic. We also recovered three potions of healing, which were most advantageous to us as all of us had been hurt. Only Rock and Nikos are accustomed to sleeping in their armor.

We remained in our room to rest and recover on the following day. Toward evening we received a visitor, sent by Nekaya's friend Siorra Farr: the Farr family priest came to offer us some divine healing. It was most welcome.

I shall take an example from Rock and attempt to wear my armor during the night, though I suspect that I will not be able to rest as well while wearing it. We must set watches to protect ourselves from now on, for we do not know if Corvus Highstaff will make another attempt on our lives, and we may also be in danger by minions of the Shade Malastori.

(Player's note: to set the tone for the combat in silence, Devo, our GM, asked us to refrain from speaking during the fight. We conveyed our actions and other information on sticky notes or note cards. I sat through most of the evening with a sticky note on my forehead displaying Telemnar's AC. :) )

Shades of Malastori (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

It seems that Nikos has been fully accepted by our little company, except perhaps by Rock, who I think is most regretful of Sandrue's departure. It has only just occurred to me that our acceptance of Nikos is most fitting, as he like the rest of us seeks a new beginning. I had not thought of myself as seeking a new beginning previously, but it is true.

After a day of rest to recover from our injuries, we set out to pursue our various goals before approaching Solomon Baker with information about his nephew. Nekaya went to seek an audience with the baker and has arranged a meeting two days hence. Phaele spent her time determining what magic is carried by some of the items we have recently acquired. To assist her in this she has also acquired a familiar, a tiny jewel-like hummingbird she calls Zahi. It is most amusing to see her sit with the little bird perched in her flame-colored hair, like some exotic ornament.

A number of the items in our possession are not of any use to us, being things we cannot use for lack of the proper skills. Some of these things are obviously of Thayan make. We intend to sell the items, but those of Thayan manufacture we will keep until we can dispose of them in some other place, as we do not want to draw further the ire of the Red Wizards.

One item that came into our possession is a longsword that is capable of holding several spells. Strangely Erim did not wish to take this sword, though it seems most suited both to his magecraft and his newer ability as a warrior. We very nearly had to force it upon him to persuade him to accept it. Phaele accepted a pair of magical bracers. I have already taken the shirt of chain, and have also been given a shortsword imbued with magic. I have also had my own longsword repaired of the damage inflicted upon it by Micah in Camber, but I find that I now use the sword my wife gave me more frequently. I have learned in our adventures that there are many creatures that can only be harmed by weapons touched by magic, and though my elven blade is keen it cannot injure such creatures, while the Cormyrean blade Erendis gave me is well suited to such use.

After retrieving my sword from the swordsmith, I introduced Rock to my new friends among the gryphon riders. Unfortunately they greeted him somewhat coolly, though I suppose that I should not be surprised. They do not know Rock as I know him. Rock has also received word from the druids he sought to contact regarding the fortress in the forest. The druids of the Winespring Grove are aware of this place, and were evidently much pleased by Rock's diligence in telling them of what we had found there. They rewarded him with several items of worth, including leaves that can be used to brew beneficial teas, and two acorns that will magically grow into huge oak trees when broken. Rock is taking great care to see that these cannot be accidentally broken, as having an enormous tree suddenly burst into life where one is standing would not be a favorable event.

I later accompanied Nikos in his search for the woman Beaora, whom he believes can lead him to Malastori the Shade. In the course of his inquiries he learned that her name is not truly Beaora, as he suspected. She is in fact Tambra Conley, daughter of a powerful merchant. Nikos hopes to follow her to Malastori's whereabouts, or at least to some other minion of the Shade who will know where Malastori is located.

That evening we met once more at the Bonded Sword and took one of their more private alcoves in which to dine and discuss all that we had learned during the day. As we talked we noticed a shadow outside the curtain. Nekaya opened the curtain to expose the half-demon Scorch, who had come to deliver a message to Nikos. He told Nikos that a man of whom he knew sought to meet with him. This fellow wished to see Nikos at a place called the King's Walk in the city gardens at midnight. We all found this time and place rather suspect. Nikos agreed that it was likely an ambush organized by Malastori, but he intended to go in any case, hoping to get more information from his contact. The rest of our group readily agreed to accompany him in secret, with only myself going openly at his side.

In the time before this meeting, Nikos also sought some Red Wizard of low status, with regards to the bounty hunters who attacked us. He was able to find a man called Solven Tierclaus, an alchemist of a rather dissolute nature. He approached this fellow at a low establishment known as the House on Scarlet Street. There he gave the wizard a note of warning intended for Corvus Highstaff, the wizard whose encouragement led the bounty hunters to pursue our company. I am not certain how wise this course of action is, but perhaps it will draw out this Red Wizard so that we may force him to openly show his hand.

Near midnight our party entered the public gardens and approached the area known as the King's Walk - so named for a gruesome story that Scorch had recited to us with relish at the inn. As Nikos and I approached the pomegranate tree which lies at the center of that story, we saw the man Nikos was to meet standing beneath the tree. He appeared oddly gray and frightened. As we drew nearer he seemed to grow darker and darker, though the light in the vicinity did not dim. Suspecting some treachery, Nikos and I made to withdraw. Then shadowy forms seemed to emerge from the man's body, taking on man-like shapes to attack us.

I have never battled such troublesome creatures. My blades could not find purchase on their shadowy substance. They touched me repeatedly, and each time I felt weaker and chilled. From behind me a bolt of lightning shot out toward the pomegranate tree. I saw at least five of the shadow-creatures flare in brilliance before they vanished. I could hear Liadan and Nekaya calling on the power of their gods a short distance away, for they could use their divine might to turn these shadows aside or destroy them as they would undead things. I also caught a glimpse of a strange golden light approaching but I could not see what caused it.

I grew so weak that my swords weighed in my hands as though I were a child lifting his father's blade, and my new shirt of chain felt like a suit of plate. When I realized I could do nothing against the shadows I turned and went toward the golden light, seeing that Phaele had also gone in that direction. When I reached her I found her in converse with a very old man, dressed all in rags, whose empty eye sockets emitted the golden light. He asked us if we knew the Golden One. We thought perhaps he might mean Covenant. Hoping that his light could somehow aid us against the shadows, we led him to where our companions still fought the creatures. Rock had fallen to his knees from weariness. The rest of my friends were all exhausted and panting.

The shadows fled screaming from the old man's eerie glow. Though the golden light did not give me any feeling of comfort, I did not feel the need to flee from it. But when the rest of our companions assembled around him, Pakkin the goblin, who had been hiding amongst the shrubbery at Nekaya's direction, suddenly screeched and fled wildly into the darkness. Then the old man seemed to sense Nekaya's presence, and to our amazement announced that he had found the Golden One he sought.

The Golden One (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

The strange old man insisted that Nekaya was indeed the Golden One he sought. He denied that he was drawn to her merely because she bore her master's weapon, which in her master's grasp had given off a golden light rather than the silver glow it has in her hands. Though he could not see her he was certain she was the person he had been seeking.

As we stood trembling with weariness and gaping in amazement, the strange old man began to tell Nekaya a story. He paid no mind when she suggested that such storytelling might be done more comfortably at an inn. He scarcely seemed aware of the rest of us. Rock had fallen unconcscious and slumped to the ground. Before the old man began his story, Liadan did what she could to aid my dwarven friend. Then those of us who were most fatigued by the shadows' attack sat down upon the ground while the old man spoke.

I must confess that I was so exhausted I could hardly follow the old man's tale. He spoke a people who had somehow been torn away from their homes, of a rift of power, a lost god, enslaved worshippers. Some of his words had the ring of prophecy to them, reminding me of the way Jastra Moondown spoke when she divined the future of our company. When he mentioned the name of the lost god, Elishar, I recognized it as the name of the god whose abandoned temple held the portal that had brought us to this part of the world. The old man told Nekaya of Soldiers of Light who sought a sword of power. He made reference to "dawn in a gloved hand" and a sword that cannot be held. These phrases sounded very much to us like the gauntlet and sword that Covenant seeks.

As the old man concluded his tale we saw that the brilliant glow emanating from his sightless eyes had dimmed, and that it was Nekaya who now glowed, though not so brightly. All of us later confessed that we had felt uncomfortable in that light, but it did not affect Nekaya so. When the old man finished speaking he turned and walked away with scarecely another word. The gardens seemed quite dark without his light.

Now as confused as we were weary, we struggled to our feet and managed to revive Rock enough that he could stumble along with us. Erim offered to use a spell that could bear Rock along magically, but Rock being Rock, he would not agree. The journey back to the Bonded Sword was very long, or so it seemed to me at that time. Before we departed from the gardens we came upon two of the gardeners, who Nekaya warned against the shadows. They did not appear greatly surprised by her news. That pomegranate tree has an evil reputation to accompany the story Scorch had told us.

We spent the day resting in our room under Liadan's care. She kindly sacrificed her own rest to look after those of us who had been most seriously affected by the shadows. Phaele went out to seek a temple of the merchant god Waukeen, where divine aid for our ills might be purchased. She returned with a priest of Waukeen who bore a wand that could remove our weariness. It cost us each one hundred gold pieces to receive the ministrations of the wand. Because my friend was so weakened, I offered another hundred gold pieces so that Rock might receive a second touch of Waukeen's divine grace. No doubt he will think he must repay me for this and I will have difficulty convincing him otherwise. But he is my friend.

On the following day Liadan was able to pray for spells of healing from Lathander and bestowed such healing as she could provide. I am glad to say that I had fully recovered my strength by that point. It was a relief to no longer be so weak that I could scarcely lift my swords. Pakkin the goblin had also returned to us none the worse for his flight into the garden that night. I think that creature has been blessed by some god of good fortune.

Though he was still not entirely recovered from our adventure in the gardens, Rock insisted upon going to his workshop to continue his project. The rest of our company were visited by the half-fied Scorch during the evening. I think that Nikos suspected his compatriot of some betrayal in the matter of the ambush, but he was convinced otherwise after a short discussion, and he and Scorch chose to seek out a tavern.

The next day was the date on which Nekaya had arranged to meet with Master Solomon Baker. We had already concluded that it would be best for the ladies to seek audience with the baker, as they are better skilled at observing the behavior of others. Nikos and I intended to wait nearby. Thanks be to Lord Corellon that nothing untoward occurred during their meeting. When they returned to us, they told us that they had chosen to give Simon Baker's cryptic message to his uncle. Master Baker did not reveal much to them, acting the innocent despite what Nikos has told us of his true role in Lord Wianar's court. But he did appear to confirm that Lord Wianar seeks the items Covenant is searching for, most likely in order to improve his own power so that he may further his desire to restore the fallen Chondathan Empire.

They told us that Master Baker burned the message after he read it. They also had been interrupted by a visit from Lord Wianar himself, who seemed to ask too many questions in my opinion, but perhaps I am learning to be too suspicious. In any case the lord's attention was diverted. Nekaya, not being one to dissemble, gave Master Baker the names of all our company and told him our lodging place. We can only hope that this will not turn out ill for us.

When we returned to the Bonded Sword following this meeting, the staff there told Nekaya that a package had been delivered for her. In it she found several velvet bags, one inside the other, and within the innermost bag lay 1,750 gold pieces, lightly dusted with what appeared to be flour.

As always, I wish my dear Erendis were here so that she might counsel us on the best course of action. I look forward to the day when I can tell her of these events and she will no doubt laugh at my foolishness. I long to hear her laughter. May Corellon Larethian protect her, and all my new friends as well.

Farewell to Arrabar

As the message from Simon Baker had been delivered to his uncle, it now fell to us to determine what we wished to do next. I must confess I am somewhat uncomfortable with the sum of money Nekaya received which we assume to have come from Master Baker. But I did not refuse a share of it when Nekaya distributed it among us. We came into further wealth when Phaele saw to the sale of many of the other items we acquired in Camber or from our adventures in Arrabar.

Though Nikos still wishes to pursue Malastori, he has come to the conclusion that in our present state we are not sufficiently powerful to confront the Shade. We also realize that our destination to deliver the package from Gadron lies some considerable distance from Arrabar, and it will take many weeks for us to travel there. Hence we decided to begin our journey at once, with a slight detour to return to the ruined temple of Elishar where we first arrived in this part of the world. Liadan in particular wishes to examine the writings there for more information.

I purchased a new bow in preparation for our journey. Despite Nikos' trepidations I feel stronger than I have ever felt. This new bow will permit me to make better use of this strength when I face foes better met at a distance.

I said my farewells to my new friends among the Gryphon Riders, and left a letter there in the event that Erendis should come after we have departed. Before we prepared ourselves for travel, Rock revealed that he had completed the project he had pursued so diligently during our stay in Arrabar. He had taken a valuable diamond that had come into his possession - I have forgotten now how it came to his hands - and had set it in a pendant so that he might sell it for a greater sum. He shared this sum with the rest of us, taking no larger portion for himself, if he kept any at all.

My dwarven friend has also made a gift fit for a noble lady for Liadan. He has crafted a beautiful circlet set with precious stones in the form of Lathander's emblem. Liadan is as lovely as any elven maiden when she wears it against her silvery hair.

Once we had equipped ourselves for long travel and said our farewells to Leonna and her friends at the House of Covenant, we set out for the ruins. Our journey was mostly without interruption before we reached the temple. We did observe signs that caravans were now passing along the track, and that at least one had been set upon by orcs, though it seemed that the caravaneers had survived the attack. And on one day Liadan had a curious experience. She thought she saw a white horse that she took to be Califax crossing our path and running into the forest. But when Rock examined the ground he could find no sign of hoofprints. It may be that Covenant's steed wears enchanted horseshoes that leave no trace, but it seems unlikely that if Califax wished us to follow him he would not return to encourage us further. Perhaps her vision was only wishful thinking on Liadan's part.

As we passed among the Cloven Mountains Rock caught sight of several ogres amongst the trees and called out warning to us. Thinking that we did not wish such large foes to come too close, Nikos and I drew our bows and fired upon them, while Liadan, Erim and Phaele rained spells at the creatures. Rock was most disappointed when all four of the ogres fell to our attacks before he could get within range to strike with his hammer.

It seems that he will have other opportunities to battle ogres, however, for when we came upon the ruined temple we found that a whole tribe of them have settled in the place, in company with various orcs and even a giant. We spent some little while conferring on how we should respond to this situation. Though we had been fortunate with the ogres in the forest a few days earlier, we did not think ourselves likely to be so easily victorious with some thirty or forty ogres and their companions.

Liadan surprised us all by suggesting that we might give up our intention of examining the ruins and go on our way. It was she who had most wished to travel there to begin with. Rock wished to attack the ogres boldly. Nekaya suggested that we might seek for a secret entrance to the underground portion of the ruins and thereby avoid the notice of the ogres. I was torn between all these plans, not wishing to risk ourselves overmuch but not being pleased with retreating, nor with hiding in secrecy. At last we came to agree that we would seek the underground entrance, but would also attempt to waylay any ogre hunting parties that we could. If we can reduce their number a little at a time the danger to ourselves may be lessened. And at least if they catch sight of us, if we have found a bolt hole beneath the earth the ogres will be at a disadvantage there, we hope.

The Cloven Mountains, the Claws of Winter

We spent some little while discussing whether to try ambushing ogre hunting parties in order to reduce their numbers without having to face them all in battle at one time. Pakkin was sent to search the area for a subterranean entry into the chamber we seek to examine. How odd that the goblin is more skilled at moving about noiselessly than are any of us.

We made camp but had no fire. Rock disguised our tracks so that the orcs and ogres would not discover us. As darkness fell we could see two fires burning farther down the slopes, but not near enough to our campsite to threaten us. We knew that Pakkin had returned when my sword began to glimmer. The goblin told us that he had discovered no entry into the chamber, but he had seen a second giant in company with the orcs and ogres. This dismayed us somewhat, for though we were able to defeat the giant called Hillfang outside of Camber, we do not flatter ourselves that we can defeat two giants while also combating a horde of orcs and a large number of ogres.

During the night, as Nekaya and I watched over our sleeping friends, we heard sounds of large creatures moving about among the trees. Nekaya pointed several pairs of yellow eyes out to me. Whatever approached appeared to be attempting stealth, so I woke our companions and warned them of possible danger. When the creatures drew near enough that we could identify them as very large wolves, Nekaya unsheathed her hakra and bathed out camp in its silvery light. Liadan rose and cast a beam of brilliant light at the wolves. One of the beasts then charged at her as she stood near Rock. Its' packmates began to circle toward our horses.

I drew my bow and fired upon one of the wolves as it attempted to attack our mounts. I heard another wolf yelp when rock struck it with his hammer, the hammer's light adding to the silver glow from Nekaya's weapon. A wolf slipped past our guard and sprang upon Erim's steed. The beast was as large as the horse and bore it to the ground. I drew my blades and struck the wolf before me, while from the corner of my eye I saw Erim send a shimmering array of colorful beams at the wolf that attacked his steed.

Rock rushed forward. Erim brought his sword to bear, and suddenly the beast toppled, nearly falling upon me. We had slain four of the huge wolves. Erim's horse was badly injured and thrashing upon the ground. I calmed it as Nekaya and Liadan came forward to offer the healing energies of their gods. In the distance we heard the howling of other wolves, but they did not come near. We determined to move our camp away from the carcasses of the wolves and settled down to rest once more.

On the following morning Rock crept out and saw some creatures moving about at the site where we had first camped. He observed a party of five ogres and ten orcs examining that area. Nikos roused everyone who was still sleeping and we prepared ourselves for further trouble. In a short while the orcs and ogres approached our campsite. We had taken cover behind large boulders and we now began to fire upon them with our bows and the mages' spells.

Erim caused two of the nearest orcs to fall to the ground in a deep slumber. Their companion called an alarm to his compatriots. They began to move rapidly toward our hiding place. Nikos fired upon one ogre, as did I, and it fell. Liadan attempted to blast one of the creatures with light as she had done the wolf, but her divine magics failed to strike the target. Nekaya moved out beyond the rocks and an orc rushed her. After that point I was too intent upon my targets to notice what occurred to my right, where Nekaya, Phaele and Nikos stood. And Rock had gone to the side to meet the orcs from another direction and could not be seen at all from my vantage.

A huge bull orc had appeared from farther back in the company. Liadan flung a burst of brilliant sunlight at him and caused both the bull and one of the orcs with him to lose their sight. This did not stop the bull ogre from rushing toward the sound of Nekaya's struggle with more of his orcish companions. I left my bow, and drawing my blades stepped out to go to Nekaya's aid. Erim also approached the bull orc, sword in hand. I made the mistake of stepping too near, thinking that the blinded ogre would not be able to strike me, but his great club struck me a heavy blow. After that I made it my strategem to move about so that he could not identify my location as easily.

Though Nekaya, Erim and I all attacked the huge bull ogre with our blades, he was not easy to slay. When at last he fell he toppled onto Nekaya, nearly crushing her. Nikos ran forward to help us remove the huge corpse. Rock and Liadan had slain the other orcs, with a little aid from Pakkin, who seemed inordinately proud of himself. Unfortunately Rock told us that he saw signs an orc had managed to escape.

Once Nekaya had produced one of the wands she purchased in Arrabar and employed it to heal our wounds, Phaele suggested a new strategy for destroying the interlopers. Several paths lead down from the terraces on which the ruined temple lies, and she proposes that we attempt an ambush along one of these, where the orcs and ogres would be forced to move through a narrow area or slow down while crossing rougher ground. It seems a wise tactic to my mind. I relish the thought of removing these creatures from the temple environs. May Lord Corellon bless our endeavor. As always, I would that my dear Erendis were here.

"Death to My Enemies" (Cloven Mts., the Claws of Winter)

Once we had defeated the first group of orcs and ogres, we determined to move down the slope toward the two campfires we had seen during the night, hoping that perhaps our latest foes had come from one of those locations. Rock forged ahead to scout a path for us. At about mid-morning we reached the first campsite and found it empty. Rock surveyed the site and informed us that it had been abandoned perhaps only an hour before our arrival. He saw evidence that there had been approximately 5 ogres and 10 orcs resting at that spot. Their tracks led in the direction of the second camp.

As we followed the tracks, Nikos and myself caught sight of movement among the trees ahead of us. I glimpsed an orc peering back at me and rode forward to confront it. From my right I saw Phaele hurl a ball of lightning at an ogre. My target ran behind a tree and I pursued him to find that another of his kin was nearby. Two ogres also appeared and I soon found myself surrounded. I drew both my blades and guided Aratan with my knees as I struggled with them.

With four foes and a tree blocking my view I could not see my friends, but they told me later what took place. Phaele hung back and aimed her spells at many enemies, while Liadan stood with her so that our doughty flame-haired mage would not be unprotected. Though she chafed not to join the fray, Liadan was able to send out her summoned spell-mace to attack in her stead. Nekaya rode forward astride Pekawa to face both an orc and ogre. My friend Rock also eagerly battled one of each type. Erim found himself face to face with an orc, but before he could engage it Nikos had brought it down with his arrows.

We heard one of the ogres bellow out something that might have been a war cry, little good though it did him. My blades found the flesh of my foes again and again, and my brave Aratan even attempted to strike them with his hooves, though with little success. Soon I had only one ogre left beside me, and Rock ran up to strike it down with a mighty blow of his hammer. Two orcs struck him as he passed by them but he seemed not to notice their blows.

As the last ogre fell, it grew quiet in the woods, until we heard the harsh cries of birds overhead. Liadan called out that these were storm crows, a larger and more dangerous breed than ordinary crows. We wondered if they might be minions or summoned creatures of the ogre shamans, but there was no way to know. Phaele considered blasting them from the sky with her magics as they circled overhead, but there were too many and they did not fly close enough to one another.

Then a great horn blast echoed from the direction of the ruined temple. Liadan rode to my side and extended Lathander's grace to me for the wounds I had suffered from my enemies, for I had not gone unscathed in my fight. We heard a crashing in the trees. Several ogres and a giant emerged into our field of view.

Rock went at once to face the giant. Liadan cast a spell upon herself that permitted her to understand their speech. It seems that they had been seeking us. We met them eagerly. Phaele let the giant feel one of her fireballs, and Liadan's magic mace began to pound upon his flesh. I could see by the tension in Rock's stance that he had slipped into one of the cold rages he often enters during battle.

Rock struck the giant a blow of such power that I thought the huge creature might fall to one strike, but it remained on its feet. Liadan and Nekaya were near me, battling an ogre. Erim ran behind them and called something out to Nikos that I could not quite make out. He might have endowed us all with increased alacrity, but we stood too far apart for his spell to reach. I found myself occupied with another ogre, this time facing him on foot as I had chosen not to subject Aratan to further danger. I decided to forego striking with both my swords and instead leaped quickly away after each slash, thus forcing the ogre to keep moving about in order to swing at me.

A great flare of light came from Phaele's direction and pierced an ogre that had run up to her. She calls this spell her 'thunder lance', an apt name in my opinion. Nekaya struck down the ogre she and Liadan faced. Liadan then called upon Lathander's power to blind the giant, though it seemed that her spell did not entirely succeed. It wounded him but did not take his sight. Nikos and Liadan both slew an ogre, and Nikos began to head toward the giant to aid Rock.

An orc ran up between Rock and the giant, but Rock paid no attention to it and continued to punish the giant with his blows. Phaele also began to move toward the giant. Nekaya turned toward me to attack the ogre I faced. Pakkin the goblin then ran up behind the orc that troubled Rock and stabbed it in the back with such a well-placed strike that the ogre fell almost at once. Perhaps the goblin is not so useless as I had previously thought.

Then I heard a strange voice call out "Death to my enemies", seeming to come from Rock, but it did not sound like his voice. The giant fell thunderously to the ground. Overhead the storm crows screeched. Liadan's floating mace struck down an orc, and the battle was done.

It is still only the middle of the morning. Now we must find a place to rest and recover ourselves before we begin our assault on the remainder of our foes at the ruined temple.

Going to Ground (Cloven Mts.)

All of us were still suffering from wounds we had incurred during our battles with the ogres and orcs, even after Liadan and Nekaya had offered us the healing mercies of Lathander and Horus-Re. We determined to seek a hiding place in which to rest and recover our strength before assaying an assault upon the remaining enemies amid the ruins.

It was suggested that in this rocky, sloping terrain we might seek out a cave large enough to accomodate our party. Rock considered this and offered the thought that the dire wolves we had previously slain might have had a lair in the vicinity. He began to follow the wolves' tracks in search of this lair. The circling storm crows continued to follow us as we traveled.

After a time Rock located the dire wolves' lair in a cave. The cave smelled strongly of wolf, so I remained with the horses to calm them while Rock and Liadan investigated the den. Rock reported that he could hear movement from within the wolf den. He found that it was still inhabited by a she-wolf and three cubs, each as large as a fully grown wolf of the ordinary variety. Nikos made to enter the den as well but Nekaya prevented him, suggesting that surely Rock and Liadan could manage this on their own.

Rock attempted to use his knowledge of wild creatures to calm the she-wolf when she reacted threateningly to his presence, but he failed to allay her fears. I was startled to hear him shout suddenly, "This being nice sh*t isn't working. Back off!" at the wolf. He was quite frustrated in his attempts to persuade the animal not to attack him. When he made to withdraw from the den she leapt at him and he was obliged to strike her with his hammer, though he made all effort to do her no actual injury. He told me later that he would have liked very much to take one of the cubs, for there was one that appeared to be the runt of the litter, but he could not get close enough to lay hands on the animal.

We agreed that this cave would not satisfy our needs, as it was not large enough to hold all of us and our horses, and in any case the horses would be very uncomfortable there amid the odors of wolves. We then set off in search of another location. Erim was most displeased with our choice to seek shelter in a cave; he felt that we might become trapped should the ogres track us to our lair. His fear was not unfounded, I confess, but the rest of us considered it more dangerous to be in the open where we might be surrounded or ambushed.

After some while Rock located a second cave, this one also not large enough to hold the horses, but there seemed no better choice. We made camp there, keeping the cave for ourselves and tethering the horses outside under guard. We had decided to rest until darkness and then move on, hoping that under cover of night we might elude the storm crows that followed us. Nikos had briefly entertained himself with shooting a crow, but to bring them all down would be a difficult task that would occupy us for a long while and risk wasting a good deal of arrows, as well as making our position more obvious to our enemies.

While we rested Nekaya asked Pakkin to search for another campsite we could move to after dark. It is peculiar to me that we have come to trust the goblin with our lives, but Nekaya is confident of his trustworthiness. When he returned he told us he could not find another cave suitable to our needs. We would have to camp in the open for the night.

Once darkness had arrived we began to move. We were able to remain under cover of the trees and thus avoid notice by most of the storm crows. We found a new campsite where we could settle, and Nikos perched in a tree all night to pick off the few storm crows that did pursue us.

Pakkin crept out once again to scout the ogre village, being small and much stealthier than any of the rest of us. Nikos is stealthy, but not skilled in the lore of the wilderness. The goblin reported to us that all of the remaining ogres and their compatriots were in the village amid the temple ruins. He did not see as many orcs or ogres as he had reported previously. We could not determine if this was because some of them had departed, or because Pakkin's skill at counting is barely adequate. He told us that there were 4 ogre shamans, 4 ogre bulls, 7 ordinary ogres, 13 orcs, and a female giant in their encampment.

Having these numbers in hand, we began to plan our attack on the ogre camp. We could not come to any agreement on a strategy that would allow us to avoid a frontal assault; the rough ground surrounding the ruins made this nigh impossible. We might have lingered near the descent from the ruins and ambushed passing ogres, but this would have taken far too much time and left us vulnerable to attack from behind, as there is a second path leading down from the terraces where the ruins lie. At last, over much protest from Phaele, who considers us all very foolhardy, we approached the ogre camp in full force and mounted, riding up the main path.

Erim and Phaele had prepared themselves with protective spells, and Erim now cast a spell upon all of our horses that would permit them to move with greater speed. This is a most effective spell. I rode to the forefront of our group, since with the exception of mighty Pekawa, my Aratan is the steed most experienced in battle. Nekaya called upon Horus-Re to bless us with his divine might before the coming battle. Then Phaele hurled a ball of flame into the camp and the battle began.

We heard a great horn blast from the ogre camp and the thunderous footfalls of the giantess. I rode up into the beginnings of the ruins and turned Aratan off the path to my left. Rock dismounted and prepared to meet the giantess, who greeted him with an angry bellow of "Are you the one who killed my husband?" We shall have to call him Rock Giantslayer from now on.

An ogre rushed out and struck me with a javelin. I drew my blades and struck him in return, and as he had already been badly scorched by Phaele's fireball he fell. A second ogre struck Aratan a harsh wound. I sprang from the saddle and prepared to face my opponents on foot. As is always the case, I could see little of what my friends did, for my back was to them much of the time, and my view was blocked by the ruins. But I have persuaded them to tell me what they recall.

Before the rest of my friends could urge their mounts up the path, an ogre leapt off the cliff at Erim, injuring the mage but failing to knock him from his mount. The ogre then landed on the ground on his face and Phaele summoned up her magical lance to pierce him. Erim rode up behind the rest of the group, and when they dismounted he cast his spell of alacrity upon all of us who were within reach. I felt myself able to move with great swiftness, striking more times with my blade than I could under ordinary circumstances.

Nikos was hurling his darts at the ogres with the speed of a whirlwind. His projectiles hit home with deadly accuracy. Rock pounded the giantess with his hammer as though he were beating a spike into stone, and she fell far sooner than had her mate. Nekaya had dismounted, her hakra being an awkward weapon for use while on horseback, and Pakkin now rode Pekawa into battle. Unfortunately the goblin was badly wounded by an ogre.

Rock turned to face several of the ogres, including a shaman, near the pit we had discovered on our previous visit to the ruins. Suddenly the shaman vanished from sight, though Rock could sense that he was still near. Phaele had become quite a warrior for a sorcerer, piercing the ogres with her lance of arcane energy. Meanwhile Erim and Pakkin, both badly injured, were obliged to withdraw from their foes.

Rock slew two more ogres, and managed with his backswing during one blow to slay an orc as well! An ogre threatened dear Phaele, but she had cast a spell on herself that made her appear to be where she was not, and he could not strike her. The ogre shaman who had vanished reappeared and chilled Rock, Phaele and Nikos to the bone with a spell. Rock struck him down, but he appeared to have a trollish ability to regenerate his injured flesh, and it took Rock many blows to slay him.

A second shaman appeared in flight above Rock's position. He attempted to cast some spell at my dwarven friend and ordered Rock to attack the rest of us, but his magic failed to affect the dwarf. Unfortunately Nikos could not see that the spell had failed, Rock being in one of his cold rages at that point, and Nikos hit Rock with several darts in an effort to deter him from harming his friends. At the time Nikos did not realize how badly hurt the dwarf was. Though he aimed his darts so they would cause little harm, Rock was very near the edge of death.

Phaele stabbed an orc with her lance, then shot a jet of flame at a bull ogre. From behind me, Erim cast a spell that caused three ogres before me to lose speed. On reflection it is rather amusing to think of myself darting about like Phaele's little companion Zahi, while the three ogres lumbered toward me with the swiftness of snails. But my speed did not save me from the power of their blows when they reached me.

Pakkin and Pekawa had not been able to escape the ogres on the opposite side of the path from my position. Pekawa managed to bring down one who had earlier been injured by one of Phaele's fireballs, I believe. Nekaya then leapt away from slaying ogres to go to the aid of her little goblin friend. I had seen that Erim was also badly wounded and attempted to draw the ogres away from him. Nikos managed to eliminate one of my foes. Despite his wounds, Rock leaped up to strike the flying shaman from the sky, then peered down into the pit, where he heard the roars of something large and the sound of rattling chain.

Liadan and Phaele had been occupied in trying to eliminate the ogre bull who had tried to knock Erim from his horse earlier, but this one seemed almost indestructible. Liadan had been most frustrated that her spells failed to harm her foes as she wished. Nikos went to help them, and at last the bull fell. Phaele then began directing spells at an ogre shamaness who stood farther up the slope. Erim also fired his magic missiles at the shamaness.

Rock came vaulting over two sections of ruined wall to come to my aid. By this time I was almost as badly wounded as was he, both of us ragged and dripping blood. When he arrived he was so weary he could not aim his hammer and his blows missed their target. Then the ogre struck him in return and the dwarf fell. I shouted out to Liadan to come quickly to my friend's aid. She galloped to his side and leaned out of the saddle to call forth Lathander's healing power. Had she not been so near I doubt that Rock could have been saved.

Praise Corellon that she was close by, for moment's later a second ogre struck me and I, too, was plunged into that darkness that is so near to death. I am told that Nekaya was across the battlefield ministering to Pakkin, who had very nearly died as well, but she soon raced across to bring Horus-Re's grace to us. Our enemies had all been slain, though I am certain I have failed to properly account for them all here in my writings.

Then Nikos went to peer down into the pit, and heard the sound of chain snapping...

In the Pit (Cloven Mts., the Claws of Winter)

As I recovered from my nearly fatal wounds under the ministrations of Liadan, I was able to sit up and rest my back against the well that lay among the ruins. It was recalled to me later that one of the ogres I had fought had fallen down it when Erim's spell of slowing affected him. Nearby, my friend Rock was being treated by both Liadan and Nekaya, who had only barely saved Pakkin's life moments earlier. How close I was to awaiting my Erendis in Arvandor. I should be sorry to leave the mortal realm so soon, for dwarves cannot come to the realm of the Seldarine. I murmured prayers of thanks to Corellon Larethian for sparing my life a while longer.

It was still only mid-morning by the time we had slain all of the orcs and ogres. While I recuperated my strength, Nikos, who had survived the battle without harm, let a rope down into the pit to discover the source of the noises he had heard. Lighting his way with a sunrod, he set to examining the underground structure, which he had not seen before. He reported later that he saw a large beast, going about on two legs, but it had no eyes whatsoever. None of us could determine what manner of creature it might be. When the eyeless thing appeared to detect Nikos' presence, it let out a piercing cry that caused his rope to disintegrate to dust. Nikos had begun to climb up out of the pit once he saw the size of the creature, and this event very nearly tumbled him back down. Nekaya was waiting at the surface and was able to catch hold of his arm and draw him up.

Once Rock and I were on our feet once more, we debated what to do about the creature in the pit. Deciding we should do nothing in our current depleted condition, my friends and I set about removing the corpses of our foes to a central location at the edge of the terrace, and searching them for anything of interest or value. The ogres carried quite a substantial quantity of coin, which we discovered when we moved uphill to the actual temple remains, where the ogre shamans had been lodging. Liadan cast a spell to examine some of the items we had taken from the bodies. She found a number of magical objects, including two swords, a pair of bracers, a ring, and a staff. When Rock and Nikos examined the bracers they learned that these would resize themselves to suit the wearer, and Nikos attested that he felt better able to use his bow while wearing them. As he and I are the only members of our party who often use a bow, we may take it in turns to use the power of the bracers.

We set up our camp in the remains of the temple. After our evening meal, Nikos approached Rock and sought his forgiveness for attacking him when he thought my friend had been enspelled by the ogre shaman. I think the blow to the abdomen that he took was more than sufficient punishment for his transgression.

At sunset Liadan decided to attempt to open the portal through which we had arrived from Cormyr so many months ago. She did not know if this portal would pass in both directions, or if it might open onto some entirely different location than where we had originally come from with our missing companions. But she felt it would be useful if perhaps we needed to make a retreat. Sadly she could not make the portal function. She believes this is because Covenant aided her on the first occasion.

On the following morning we rose and prepared to return to the pit to pursue removal of the eyeless creature. Liadan once more attempted to open the portal, this time with aid from Nekaya, but they had no more success than on the previous evening. As we neared the pit we saw that scavengers had been at the bodies of the slain ogres - including the storm crows that had followed us in previous days.

Liadan had sought Lathander's grace to cast a spell of silencing on an amulet Rock wears. We hoped this would prevent the creature from harming us with its powerful cries. Nekaya called on Horus-Re's blessings to protect us, and Erim cast his spell of haste upon us. Then we all descended into the pit, with the exception of Nikos and Phaele, who chose to remain on the surface in the event we should need their aid to escape.

I had seen little of the underground structure on our previous visit, but Liadan pointed out with dismay that the creature appeared to have severely damaged the inscriptions on the walls. The creature waited in a side passage, dragging a length of chain that was stapled to the floor. It had a second piece of chain about its neck that had broken, explaining the sound Nikos had heard. It attempted to screech at us as we approached but Liadan's spell held and we could hear nothing. In the passage beyond the creature we could see a sort of box or cupboard such as the others had described to me during our first visit to the ruins.

The creature seemed confused when its cries did not affect us. It was obviously very able to sense its surroundings despite its lack of sight. When Rock attempted to subdue it with a blow of his hammer it leapt forward threateningly, so I struck with my blades. It attempted to claw at Rock with its short arms, to no avail. Rock stunned it, and I then slashed it several more times, though I did not slay it. Rock then smashed the chain that held it.

While Rock and I subdued the creature, Liadan and Nekaya examined the remaining inscriptions on the walls. They found one area, directly opposite the passage in which the creature was chained, where the plaster surface had not been as badly damaged. This was peculiar as the area was directly in the creature's path when it roamed the length of its chain. Liadan determined that the area was enchanted in some way, though she could not discern quite how. She thought perhaps it might be another portal but could not provoke any response from it.

Erim attempted to dispel the magic but met with no success. While examining the curious box-like construction at the end of the passage, he found that there was a hidden opening above it. We then realized that the underground chambers were in fact a curving passage with five shorter straight passages radiating off of it, in the form of a stylized sunburst - the emblem of the long-lost deity Elishar whose temple this had once been. Each of the passages ended in one of the stone shapes with a hidden opening above it. The stone shapes were not boxes or cupboards as had first appeared. They had a sloping section at the top, with the angled portion facing the hidden openings. When the first opening was cleared a shaft of sunlight shot through and reflected from the angled surface.

All of the stones had been covered with leather, which we now removed. Erim was able to open two more of the shafts with spells, but the inscription on the wall indicated that there should be a central doorway or shaft that we could not locate. It appears that we will need to dig for it in the center of the sunburst. When Nekaya prayed to Horus-Re for guidance the shafts glowed slightly. It recalls to me that once our battle with the ogres had ended, I noticed that she was glowing softly with a golden light.

In the meanwhile, Rock and Nikos had hauled the unconscious creature up from below, and set it free once it regained its senses. It did not appear to be very grateful for their efforts, for it screamed at them before it departed, doing them some minor damage. The world beyond the Hidden Hills is indeed full of peculiar things. I only wish that Erendis were here to share the wonder with me. Thanks be to Lord Corellon that I may continue to seek her.

Last edited:

Hedrin

First Post
sniffles said:

At sunset Liadan decided to attempt to open the portal through which we had arrived from Cormyr so many months ago. She did not know if this portal would pass in both directions, or if it might open onto some entirely different location than where we had originally come from with our missing companions. But she felt it would be useful if perhaps we needed to make a retreat. Sadly she could not make the portal function. She believes this is because Covenant aided her on the first occasion.

Actually, Liadan was pretty certain that the reason we could not open the portal is because she believes that there is some condition that we were not meeting, and said so on several occasions. Others out of her earshot suggested that perhaps it was because Covenant wasn't there to help her. She would be the first to tell you that when the portal was opened from the other side, she failed completely and it was Covenant alone that opened it. However he didn't do anything that Liadan didn't do, only he was more powerful at it. So she would assume that we are not meeting some condition or that the portal does not open from this side.

This is assuming that as a much younger and inexperienced priestess that Covenant wouldn't set her up to deliberately fail at opening the portal. She had to have had a chance at doing it or he would not have had her try.

sniffles

First Post
The Chamber of Dawn

We had determined that at the end of each of the five radial passages in the underground structure stood an angled reflecting column. Above each column was a cunningly designed trap door intended to admit sunlight. We at once set about uncovering the columns and opening the trap doors. The shafts above the trap doors were all blocked by many years of debris. I stood upon one of the reflecting columns while Rock steadied me, and found that there was a circular catch, apparently intended to be opened by a priest or servitor using a pole. By stretching my arm as far as I could reach, I was able to depress the catch. Rock and I scarcely managed to avoid the fall of earth and stones that tumbled in when the trap door openend. A brilliant shaft of noontime sunlight flowed down the shaft and into the passage in which we stood. Much to my surprise, the light flowed around the bend in the passage without hesitation. We followed the light into the curving main passage and saw that it turned the corner into that corridor in a most unnatural manner.

Erim had managed to open another of the shafts from above, and now light shone from all five passages. When the rays of light met in front of the magical section of wall that Liadan and Nekaya had examined earlier, the wall vanished, revealing another passageway. We had suspected that there must be a hidden chamber in the center of the arc formed by the curved corridor, since the symbol of Elishar included a dot at the center of its arc.

Liadan approached the new passage with much interest. Nekaya descended into the subterranean structure and joined her in the entrance to the passageway. Strangely, though we could see a clear passage, we could also see an image of solid earth in that space. At the end of the passage a small circular room was just visible. Strange lights glimmered from within the chamber.

Liadan and Nekaya went first toward the circular room. Within it we could now see a small dais in the center of the floor, and murals upon the walls. Something shining in the form of a man stood upon the low dais, the beam of sunlight halting where it struck this shape.

As the two young ladies made to enter the chamber, a voice spoke in a tongue I could not understand. But Nekaya appeared to recognize the words. She told us that the figure had said that as we did not bear a certain mark, we were not welcome in this place. The figure now resovled itself into a man-like creature seemingly made of white crystal. Then the light within the chamber pulsed twice, and two more crystalline entities appeared, one of green and the other black in color. The black crystal man assumed an threatening stance, while the green figure stood at the rear of the room, watching us with its featureless face.

I was so concerned with the threat of these crystalline things that I hardly noticed the murals upon the walls. Rock told us later he had noticed that they, too, were all in shades of white, green and black. The different sections of color intertwined in an intricate pattern, and where one color crossed another the images within appeared different. The green images were all obviously of our world, Toril, and showed pleasant pastoral scenes. The white images appeared even more pleasant and brilliant. But the black scenes were difficult to make out. Where the black and green scenes intermingled, the imagery became less pleasant, showing scenes of decay and destruction. Rock could not make anything out where the black and white bands mingled.

Nekaya began to speak in her native Mulan tongue, conversing with the white crystal figure. It told her that this room was known as the Chamber of Dawn, but it gave her little other information. It appeared to her that as none of us carried the emblem of Elishar, the crystal beings that were the chamber's guardians would not give us any information. Then Erim called out to us that the light was fading, and we hurriedly exited the Chamber of Dawn. Once the noon light vanished from the tunnels, the wall reappeared across the end of the hall that led to the chamber.

We decided to remove ourselves to the upper temple area uphill, where the portal lay, and seek further knowledge from that ruined structure. Sadly most of the murals and carvings there had been much damaged, perhaps by the presence of the ogres. We rested there for the remainder of the day while Nekaya carved herself a likeness of Elishar's emblem to wear. Curiously, as Rock told us more of what he had seen in the murals, he indicated that he had noticed a structure in the form of a bird, shown in yellow in the green band of images. This sounded to Liadan like an illustration of Morningdawn Hall, a great temple of Lathander that lies in Shadowdale. But this hall is not yellow; it is made of rose-colored glass. None of us could fathom why it would be shown in yellow, nor how it came to be depicted in a mural in a structure that was made long before Morningdawn Hall came into existence. Perhaps, as Elishar was a god of prophecy, these murals portray events that have not yet come to pass.

After a quiet night, we determined to investigate the Chamber of Dawn once again, hoping that Nekaya's new symbol would gain us more information. Before noon we spent our energies in preparing to disguise the shafts above the trapdoors, so that when we departed this place we might hide them from prying eyes. As noon neared we descended to the tunnels once again to await the opening of the Chamber. This time Nikos and Phaele came with us, so that fresh eyes might observe the chamber's interior.

When the Chamber opened I remained at the end of the entry passage to watch for the fading of the sunlight. Erim had also joined the others, and both he and Liadan called upon the powers of magic to allow them to understand the speech of the crystal guardians, though they would not be able to communicate with the guardians themselves. This magic required them both to touch Nekaya so that they might comprehend the words. In this manner they all proceeded down to the Chamber of Dawn when the entrance appeared.

On this occasion, when the white guardian saw the symbol Nekaya wore, it receded into a crystal nodule that was set into the wall. Liadan then stepped across the low dais, and observed that she felt infused with a positive energy. She attempted to expend a power granted her by Lathander, and found that her power was restored immediately rather than having to wait until the following dawn. Nekaya also trod upon the dais and felt a similar experience.

Phaele examined the murals upon the walls intently. She speculated that the black band represented the Plane of Shadow, but while it seemed logical that the white band then represented a Plane of Light, no such plane was known to exist to her knowledge. She also told us that there was so much magic in the chamber that for a moment when she cast the spell to detect it, she was blinded by the energy.

Sadly our time in the Chamber of Dawn was too brief to glean anything further. We retreated once again as the sun moved on its endless course and its rays grew too dim to activate the magic. Once we returned to the surface we spent some while covering the trap doors, and Liadan used Lathander's grace to seal up the hole that had been broken in the ceiling of the curved corridor. We then decided to spend the remainder of the day traveling toward Camber. We had realized that it must now be the beginning of Spring, and soon our friend Billy Tanner would celebrate his nuptials. As visiting Camber would not take us far out of our way should we continue toward Calimshan, we decided to go and wish the Tanners well.

We found the river much higher than it had been when we passed heading toward Arrabar. We took the time to make our way back to the ford to cross the waters. This carried us near to the Winterwood once again. As we rode quietly along the edge of the wood, Liadan appeared to catch sight of something no one else could see. She suddenly spurred Shadowcast away from us, then began riding to and fro in a most curious manner. When we caught up with her and Rock called out to ask her what she was doing, she announced that Califax was galloping toward her repeatedly and then veering aside!

We all recalled how she had claimed to see Califax running ahead of her during our last visit to this place, and suspected some phantasm. But when the mages sought for evidence of magic, they felt some stirring as the image of the great steed drew nearer. Each time Liadan rode toward Califax he would turn aside, then circle back to approach. At last, Liadan dismounted and stood her ground when the horse moved toward her. Suddenly she staggered, and at once all of us could see Califax there, just completing a powerful kick with both of his rear legs!

Though Califax had often snapped or kicked at Liadan when she groomed him, this kick did not seem as petulant as his previous behavior. He continued to kick and bite her as she stood before him. Liadan grew angry with his viciousness and blasted him with holy light, though her first attempt seemed not to touch him. Rock had also dismounted and stood behind her, and I now urged Aratan up to stand guard at her other side. Nekaya moved nearer astride Pekawa.

Shadowcast was standing behind Rock at this time, and quite unexpectedly began to attack my friend. Her behavior was odd and unnatural, as though she did not truly wish to strike at him, and as she is not a trained warhorse her kicks were weak. We all recalled that in the past Califax had shown the ability to control other horses when he led us to Gadron's hidden lair.

Shadowcast kept striking out at Rock, and Rock grew frustrated with the horse's attentions. He attempted to calm her but his efforts had no effect. He then struck her a mighty blow with his fist, and she toppled to the ground! Truly my friend has a prodigious might. But I was too concerned with what occurred between Califax and Liadan to give much thought to Shadowcast. For after Rock struck down Liadan's horse, he then stepped nearer and remarked to Liadan that perhaps this behavior was some test of her worthiness.

Liadan then caught hold of Califax's mane when he stepped closer to bite her, and vaulted upon his back. He wore no bridle or saddle, only a blanket that was near to slipping off. When Liadan sprang astride him he bolted away from us. Nekaya reacted more quickly than I and sent Pekawa galloping after him, and I followed a moment later. Aratan is swifter than Nekaya's great steed, and I was quickly able to catch up to the disturbed Califax. Liadan was clinging on his back with great determination, but when he carried her into a low-hanging tree limb she could not maintain her grip and fell to the ground.

Liadan scrambled to her feet, but Califax loomed over her in a most aggressive manner and renewed his attacks upon her. He now appeared extremely threatening to my eyes, and I doubted that Rock's suggestion was accurate. Something was seriously amiss with Califax. Liadan shouted angrily that Califax would never try to harm her in this way, and continued blasting him with Lathander's divine light. Earlier Nikos had flung a number of darts unerringly at the horse, and Califax was now burnt and bloodied, but showed no sign of relenting.

I rode up to him as Liadan once again sprang onto his back, and was able to catch hold of his ear. This obviously irritated him greatly but I was able to maintain my grip against his tossing head for a few moments. Then he pulled free of my grasp and Liadan tumbled to the ground again. Califax made as if to trample her and I swiftly pushed Aratan in his way. He then began circling about, seeking an opening to renew his attacks. I kept Aratan moving, always interposing my faithful mount between Califax and Liadan.

Nekaya provided healing to Liadan and joined me in blocking Califax's approach. He had become so persistent that I drew my sword and shouted to him in anger that he would die if he attempted to harm Liadan again. His eyes were wild and I felt that my words meant nothing to him, though I had known him to have the intelligence of a man. Then Liadan decided to call upon Lathander's power in the manner that she would employ to turn aside an undead thing. She stepped between Pekawa and Aratan to aim her spell. As Califax lunged toward her once again, he was rebuffed by some invisible force. Suddenly he reared, blood and foam flying from his lips, and emitted a harsh scream that echoed among the trees. Then he vanished.

Hedrin

First Post
A once proud steed brought low

There must be a trickster god out there somewhere, just floating around waiting to grant the fondest wishes of those mortals he chooses as "bless". As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

Heading back to Camber we were rebuffed by how much the river had raised and deemed it safest to add a day or two onto our journey and use the fjord a ways up the river. After that the road back to Camber took us near the Winterwoods. Last time we were by here I thought I had seen Califax in forest, but no one else did, and he left no tracks in passing so I'm not sure what I saw. This time I kept my eye out for any signs of his presence hoping to see any marks of his passage, and was surprised when I saw him galloping towards us. I yelled "There he is!" to my friends and spurred my little mare Shadowcast forward.

I slowed my horse when we closed the distance and he veered off suddenly from me. I assumed he wanted me to follow and I did. However he soon outdistanced my mare and turned back towards me only to veer off again in another direction. By this time Rock had caught up and was yelling at me. It took a moment for his words to sink in and to realize that I was the only one seeing Califax. While I was stopped again, and Rock was yelling at me, I came to the conclusion that Califax was not veering off in any specific direction. It seemed almost random.

I dismounted and walked towards where Califax was approaching. He didn't slow, but knowing him as well as I do, I could imagine him trying to test my nerve, so I walked towards him still, confident he would stop in time. He did stop, but only to pirouette suddenly and land a staggering back kick to my chest. OWWWW!!!!!

I stood there stunned for a moment, but unslung the shield I had on my back. I didn't want him to do that again. I approached him to find out what was the matter when he reared up and slashed out at me with his hooves. Lot of good my shield work did! People told me later that no one could see him until he attacked me and then he appeared to everyone. Erim and Phaele talked later about some form of invisibility, but then why could I see him? Anyway, other stuff was going on, but I didn't even really notice, I was so focused on Califax.

I called for the Dawn Light that Lathander has granted me use of, and attacked him with the Searing Light of Dawn. I am told I yelled something out at this point about him not truly being Califax and people started attacking him. How could he be and still attack the loyal daughter of his master?

Again he lashed out at me with his back kick to great effect and I burned him again. Then he wheeled around and slashed out with hooves and his great biting mouth. He was wearing me down quickly and I came to the conclusion that the only spot I might be "safe" was on his back. If you knew Califax, you'd know why I qualified that word. With that monster of a warhorse, no where would be safe.

Coming close to him was a risk as it gave him the chance to kick at me again, which he did, but I was able to vault onto his back anyway. Clinging to his mane for dear life as he didn't wear either saddle or bridle, he charged out of the clearing and into the Winterwoods.

I managed to hang on for a time, dodging and ducking to escape the branches that reached out to snag me. In the end I didn't even see the one that unhorsed me. One moment I was on Califax, the next a great branch grabbed the back of the neck opening of my armor and I was sprawled on the ground.

He turned and charged back at me, and lashed out at me with that devastating back kick of his. I felt the world dim for a moment, but then felt the healing Renewal of Lathander suffuse my weary body and I kept my feet. However I knew I was in bad shape and I couldn't rely on that again today, but by this time Nekaya and Telimnar had reached me and Nekaya used her healing one me to my great relief. I backed away and healed myself quickly as Nekaya and Telimnar interposed their horses between Califax and myself. Nekaya's hakra and Telimnar's swords flashed brightly in the sunlight, doing much damage to Califax. I tried to remount him, but being the wily veteran he wasn't about to be fooled by that move twice. His back kick dashed me to the ground and my head was still spinning when I tried to mount him. He twisted out from under me but I was able to keep my feet. The fight ranged on with the three huge horses and fragile little me. Califax tried again and again unsuccessfully to break through the defenses of the other two horses. My light lashed out at Califax again, but to no effect.

Nekaya yelled at me to remind me of Califax's connection with Lathander. With my ribs on fire and my head ringing, I hadn't been thinking straight. Being father's horse and his being blessed of Lathander, I knew she was right and I had to try.

I found an opening in the weaving wall of horseflesh and strode towards Califax. I pulled forth the Lathander amulet that I was father's final gift to me and called upon Lathander to channel his power through me. "I call forth the power of Lathander. Begone evil spirit, begone... Califax."

The last startled me. I had meant to say, "...begone image of Califax." But I think I knew in my heart that this was truly father's proud steed. His companion of many years, many battles, and the responsibility he had left behind for me. The responsibility I gave over to another.

Califax screamed and reared up as Lathander's influence hit him. His eyes rolled in his head as his lips curled back showing impossible amounts of teeth. Foam and blood shook from his flanks and spittle flew out of his mouth as his head shook from side to side. Then, like a daydream, he faded and was no more.

I'm sorry. I can't write any more.

Remove ads