Shadows of Greatness, a Forgotten Realms campaign UPDATED February 1, 2008

Zora

First Post
Journal entry 10/28/05

Pepa, we entered through the front gates after determining that all of the townsfolk were indeed dead. I would have attended to the bodies at that time, but there may be folk inside, and they would need help first.

Upon passing through the front gates, I heard the distinct sound of battle, coming from the guardhouse! It HAD to be Serrah, she’s too good a swordswoman to be taken down yet. I immediately ran into the guardhouse towards the sounds, with my companions following. Running past 2 dead soldiers, I encountered a truly sad sight: the proud warrior Stone walking as an undead, with arrows and a sword embedded in him. At first my reaction was to yell at him that he was supposed to protect them; then the realization that he probably did stung me and I was determined to end this false existence forced upon him so that he could go to Dumathoin’s care.

My companions headed past me to a stairwell where undead soldiers were attempting to get up the stairs, then turned on my friends. Nekaya held them at bay through the power of turning, whilst Liadan managed to destroy them with the gifts of Lathander. None of the soldiers had any wounds on them, which was disturbing.

As I approached the stairs, I could see a trail of blood leading away up the stairs towards Serrah’s office. I ran up the stairs, found nothing in her office, then rushed towards the roof, where I saw her: Serrah.

She was exhausted and weak as a kitten. It turns out she had taken a few lungfuls of the greenish cloud. We could see it better now, and Phaele claimed it was a Death Cloud, with another spell in it, possibly to animate the dead. And it appeared sentient! Whoever created it has much to pay for.

Supporting Serrah, she reminded us that in times of trouble, survivors would have fled towards the winter stronghold, a shelter below the town hall. I pulled out some of the leaves the druids gave me, and with Erim’s help brewed a restorative tea for her, enough to help her move with some support.

We headed out the front gate, where we found the survivors we saw coming into town, now numbering nine strong. Putting Serrah upon Spirit, I urged her to go to her home and family. She stubbornly refused while there still might be survivors in town. Knowing I would not be able to dissuade her, I pulled out the extra weapons I had on me and in my pack, and gave them to the townsfolk present, with the orders to protect her, and should something come along, to flee to safety, taking Serrah with them.

Liadan mentioned that the temple to Chauntea might have some healing potions and restorative draughts to counteract the poisonous cloud. Phaele remembered that Olson kept vials of antitoxin always at hand, due to his fear of snakes. He’s a good kid, I hoped he had made it.

We split into two groups: Nikos, Nekaya and Phaele to head towards Olson’s and Sonom’s places, while Liadan, Erim, Telemnar and I went to the temple, then to meet them at the winter stronghold.

Before we could split up inside the gates however, we were struck by a truly sad sight. Young Missy Briar, with her flame-red hair was lying in the courtyard being devoured by one of the town dogs, which had grown quite swollen with the flesh it had eaten. Images flashed inside my mind of the time –not less than 24 hours ago- where I had given her a ride on my shoulders during the celebrations of the festival.

Bile rose in my throat as my anger threatened to take over and I wished nothing else but to wrap my hands around its throat and choke the undead life from it. Before I could react however, Nekaya, Telemnar and Nikos slew it. Eerie howls came from almost all around us as dozens more came rushing forward to bite at us. Phaele, quicker of mind than I am of leg, created forth a wall of fire, incinerating the undead dogs in an instant. I’m glad she’s on my side…

Both groups broke into runs, going for their separate destinations. At the temple, I watched one of the clouds –for there were four- moving towards us as with a purpose. Liadan found the cache of divine draughts and we left with much haste. On the way to the temple, we found the bodies of Stin and Lab, the brothers from Athkatla, dead in the street, apparently slain by arrows and magical lightning. Erim discovered that a hammer and a breastplate were magical, and we took those with us.

I found out later that the other group found Sonom’s tower, which had been the only building in town utterly destroyed. This just lends credence to the idea that this was planned. Olson was found dead, pinned to his front door with large arrows, of the type the stranger Wyrstalker used. He WILL pay for that. Phaele picked up two wands that were being wielded by Olson. The woman warrior who was serving the Halruuan elder was also found in the street, probably killed by Olson. Kid put up a fight. Good for him.

Turns out Nikos found Stone’s armor at Olson’s, probably there for enchantment. I think he wants me to have it. Not sure how I feel about that.

As we were debating using some of the anti-poison vials in our possession and attempting to destroy one of the clouds, we heard a voice come from one of the clouds. In a voice that came from the Halruaan elder, came the statement: “Mirras, you are not correct.”
From Mirras came the response: “Signs pointed to here.” At that, the cloud parted and a woman clad in dark armor was there…just as the form of Elder Furnael disappeared.

She’s got much to answer for…

sniffles

First Post
A Feast of Families

I must confess I do not personally recall seeing Elder Furnael with the woman. My own memory tells me that she rushed out of the cloud crying out for aid. But my companions tell me that this was the result of some enchantment. Nikos and Erim recall the event as I do, but the woman's subsequent actions indicate that Phaele and Nekaya must be correct and that the woman somehow enchanted my memory to suit her purposes. It was fortunate that not all of us succumbed to her spell.

Seeing as the evil cloud of death hovered so near, I had been reaching into my belt pouch for the antivenom potion Liadan had given me when I saw the woman. Phaele at once conjured a ball of lightning to hurl at the woman, and I was so confused by her reaction that I hesitated. Phaele shouted out a warning that she was not to be trusted. Having no better thought of what to do, I swallowed the potion.

Rock then rushed the woman. The green cloud began to extend a tendril toward him. The woman chanted some arcane syllables and was surrounded by an impenetrable darkness. Erim, still under the woman's spell, began to go forward to her aid. Nekaya shouted at him angrily, trying to convince him that the woman was our enemy. Liadan drew her quicksilver mace and began to strike at the cloud, causing it to dissipate where her weapon met its substance.

I began to move nearer to the area of darkness, wishing to help my friends, though I was still confused as to their cause for attacking the woman. I saw Nikos draw his blades Favor and Fortune and move into the cloud to aid Liadan's efforts, but they both found that the cloud was not so insubstantial as one might expect. It seemed able to grip them somehow and impeded their movement. Phaele spoke some sorcerous words, attempting to drive away the darkness, but her spell failed to take effect.

Nekaya had begun to recite prayers to Elishar and spin her hakra above her head, and now a sunny glow issued from the weapon and surrounded her as she moved toward the dark. Erim also tried to banish the darkness without success. But Liadan and Nikos had succeeded in destroying the cloud with their blows, thus freeing us from fear of its poison. Now the darkness began to move toward them. Phaele called out a warning to Rock, advising him that the woman would be able to see within her dark shroud even if he could not.

A voice from within the dark shouted out a blasphemous utterance, and I felt myself grow weak and foolish. I heard the woman's voice exclaim, "Why could this not be simple?" in a peevish tone, followed by something that resembled a prayer of healing. I called out to Rock, but he did not respond.

Liadan courageously stepped into the darkness and I heard her mace strike against something metallic. Nekaya had begun to pass into the dark area also, as the glow from her hakra spread. I thought I heard Rock's hammer strike against something. The woman uttered more arcane words and I was left standing in bewilderment, unable to determine what to do.

Phaele began to follow Nekaya's glowing form into the darkness, for the light of Nekaya's weapon was driving the dark away. Then a column of flames suddenly burst from within the darkness. I stepped forward, my wits having only just returned to me, and called out to the woman, demanding to know what was happening. She did not answer me. Nekaya's light had now entirely banished the darkness and I could see her flanked by Liadan and Rock. When she became visible, Pheale conjured a lightning bolt to strike her, and Nikos flung several of his darts.

I felt my strength returning and moved to aid my companions. As I did so, Phaele had summoned up her thunder lance but failed to strike the woman, who wore a suit of heavy armor. Rock threw down his hammer and wrapped his arms about the woman, but she shrugged him off. Determined, he grappled her again and this time she could not get free. Erim called upon her to surrender but she continued to struggle in Rock's grip. I had by this time reached her and slashed at her with my blade but I could not penetrate her armor.

Now all of my companions but Nekaya plied their weapons against her in a fury. Phaele used her lance to knock the woman into unconsciousness, and Rock pinned her upon the ground. We could now see that her armor was marked with symbols, which Liadan identified as the holy emblems of the sinister goddess Shar. She carried an odd weapon, according to Liadan the chosen weapon of Shar, a ring-shaped blade called a chakram. Rock kicked it away. He bound her with the troll-gut rope we had been given by the townsfolk.

Now that we had defeated her, we prepared to enter the town hall and seek for survivors. Rock and Liadan, however, chose to go out after the remaining clouds so that they could not come to the bolthole and attack the townsfolk. Before he departed Rock took everything he could find from the captive woman.

Inside the main hall of Camber's town hall, we found an unnatural silence. Phaele identified it as being under a spell, though much larger in area than such spells are usually made. Nikos bore our captive over his shoulders as we descended to the safe area. We could see that the door ahead was scorched. Then Nikos called out that he sensed something unseen in the corridor with us. He and Nekaya both called out for this invisible presence to show itself. Two men appeared in the chamber ahead of us. I did not know them, but Phaele recognized one as Burleau, vizier to the Elder Furnael, and Nekaya knew the other as the man Pascal whom she had so disliked for his spellcasting during the festival.

Nikos demanded that they tell us who they sought. Burleau casually asked if we knew who waited within the chamber beyond the scorched door. He then asked if we knew of Gadron, and Nekaya, not being one to dissemble, admitted that we knew him and that his stronghold lay in the Winterwood. This was not news to the two men. Phaele and Nikos then ordered them to surrender themselves to us, and Nekaya demanded that they tell us if they were responsible for the attack on the town. Burleau showed no remorse when he answered in the affirmative.

Phaele angrily summoned a lightning bolt to strike Pascal, and Nikos fired his bow. Phaele then surrounded the two men with a circular wall of electricity. Pascal responded by sending a line of fire down the corridor, burning us all. I drew my bow and fired into the electrical circle, but could not strike either man. Nekaya dodged past the flames and rushed into the room where the two men stood. Then Liadan and Rock reappeared, accompanied by an unknown man.

Nikos and I continued to fire arrows while Phaele plied more lightning, though both Burleau and Pascal seemed preturnaturally agile at avoiding our attacks. Pascal began to ask Erim if he was Gadron's apprentice, and also chanted a spell that transformed his fists into stone. Nekaya charged into the circle, heedless that it injured her, and attacked Burleau, who attempted unsuccessfully to relieve her of her hakra. Erim mouthed the words of a spell to slow their agility, but his spell had no effect.

Rock charged down the corridor and into the circle of dancing electricity. Liadan ran behind him. The stranger with them began firing arrows. Phaele chanted a spell that made a terrific noise and left Pascal deafened, but this did not prevent him from casting his own spell back at her. She stood as one dumbstruck, and I rushed into the circle to attack Pascal with my blades. When Nekaya swiped at him with her hakra a moment later he fell. Left alone, Burleau began to back away, but Liadan summoned her magic mace behind him. Rock, Nekaya and I all attacked him almost as one and he was slain.

Nekaya dragged Pascal out of the electrical circle, but he too was dead. Rock then went to the charred door and knocked, but his knuckles made no sound on the wood. The door was evidently guarded by some powerful magical protection. I went to Phaele to see if she had been hurt, and found that though she responded in some manner to my voice, she seemed unable to speak or move on her own. While I watched over her my companions attempted to force the door open, though they failed to make any impression upon it.

Suddenly a greenish cloud appeared at the end of the corridor, with a bright light at its center. As we all turned, expecting to face another of the deadly cloud spells, a wall of flame shot down the corridor and completely filled the chamber. Though I cringed from it, I found that it did me no harm, nor did it injure any of my friends. Only the stranger who had arrived with Rock and Liadan was burned. When the flames cleared, Gadron appeared.

The wizard told us that the evil folk we had slain had hunted him. We had already discovered that our captive, who had been caught by Pascal's flame and then Gadron's, was dead. Gadron did not say why these people sought him. He seemed older than when we had last seen him, and weary to the bone. We asked him if he could aid Phaele, and he summoned his familiar, an owl, which seemed to converse with Zahi the hummingbird for a few moments. Then Gadron touched a diamond to Phaele's forehead and she was restored to herself.

We despaired when Gadron told us that there had been no survivors of the townsfolk beyond those we had found outside the walls - the door was sealed to hold in some horror, not to save the people of Camber. Nekaya grew angry when it seemed to her that the wizard had failed to do anything to save the townspeople. He denied this claim but gave no further explanation. For myself I think that though his efforts may have been less than ideal, he was doubtless nearly outmatched by these fiends.

Gadron also told us that he had been unable to find any information about our missing companions. He suspected they were in some place where no magical scrying could detect them. When Liadan asked about Califax, he insisted that she could not possibly have seen Covenant's steed for the horse still waited at his stronghold. Gadron then asked Erim and Phaele to assist him in cleansing the area of Camber, and took them to the prayer rock. Nikos went with them to keep watch. The rest of us went out to search in the event that Gadron's claim of no survivors was incorrect.

While I did not see any of this, Nikos told us later that while they cast their spell he saw a vision of two places at once. He was both at the prayer rock and at Gadron's stronghold, which he had of course never seen before. He found himself at a pasture which held a great old horse, which he realized must be Califax. The horse did not behave in at all the same manner as when we had last encountered him. When Nikos attempted to lead him out of the pen he seemed reluctant to depart, but followed along docilely. Then the vision of Gadron's stronghold faded, and Nikos found himself standing within the walls of Camber holding Califax's halter!

Gadron announced that we must leave the town within the hour. He then surprised us all by asking Phaele to become his apprentice! He claimed that he had some great mission, of far greater import than our own efforts, in which Phaele could aid him. Phaele declined, but Gadron did not take his refusal as a permanent choice and remarked that he expected he would see Phaele again. I have little doubt that we will all see Gadron again.

Last edited:

Hedrin

First Post
I kept wondering during the second fight who the invisible presence was. If it was neither of the men we fought, and it didn't seem that it was, then there is still someone out there. However, Liadan was not there when the invisible guy was pointed out, so I kept my tongue.

Zora

First Post
Naw, I think it was Wyrstalker, hunting both Pascal and Burleau. He probably disappeared when the rest of the party showed up, giving him a chance to warn Rock and Liadan to go back and help their friends...

Devo

First Post
All kinds of stuff was happening that the PC's just wouldn't be able to figure out. That's the sad part about GMing!

As to the invisible presence, that was Pascal's creation. He was a Warmage/Divine Oracle/Magehound. (Education and Arcane Devotee gave him the requisite spells and skills.) Between his Knowledge and Divination domains, he had access to Clairvoyance, which produces an invisible sensor. They heard you guys coming (and you failed to hear them), so they hid, and he put a sensor out in the hall. Nikos noticed the sensor.

We had 7 ninth level PCs. Merras was 13th level, and she put up a fight, but didn't have the ability to kill anyone. Pascal and Burleau were both 12th, and could have done a bit more, but failed to. I always worry that a warmage could completely decimate you guys, so they tend to play a bit defensively.

Zora

First Post
Journal entry 11/25/05

Pepa, to continue my story, this is what happened next:

The woman in black, Merras, a priestess for the harlot-god Shar, came forward chanting something to which I later found out attempted to alter the recent memories of my companions and I, succeeding with Telemnar, Nikos, and Erim. The had no recollection of Elder Furnael, only of Merras coming out of the cloud asking for our help.

I suppose my dwarven stubbornness prevented me from being affected by her enchantment. Nevertheless, I strode towards her to seek vengeance for the dead of Camber, ignoring the cloud of death. My sole desire was to end her existence. Slipping into a cold, silent fury, I drew my hammer as I approached. Phaele was quicker, sending a ball of lightning to strike at her and the cloud prior to my arrival.

Suddenly all was black as she cast some arcane magic to engulf us all in darkness. I could hear my friends wondering what was happening. Phaele said something about her enspelling us and being able to see us in the darkness. I swung a mighty blow that missed her by the smallest of margins. She was good, and had magic assisting her. I could tell that raw power was not going to win this contest, so needed to rely on skill as much as strength.

Telemnar called out to me, but I did not answer, for I was remaining as silent as I could, listening for any slight movement or sound to give her away. Finally I heard Liadan’s mace ring true on the armor of the harlot-worshipper, and I used that to connect with my hammer and cause her some amount of pain.

She moved away, me silently following, when Nekaya suddenly arrived, canceling the darkness with her Hakra. The priestess did not care for this, while I was overjoyed. Still, she was skilled enough to avoid my hammer and bring down a column of fire upon us. She was overly cocky, as she had a chance to escape when we were all dazed by another of her spells, but she took the time to heal instead of flee. Her mistake.

Seeing this would not end well if something wasn’t done soon, I dropped my hammer and went to grab her. She resisted briefly, but I got a good hold of her. Erim put a sword to her throat asking for her surrender. All I wanted to do was push her onto the outstretched blade. She spit out some profanities and struggled against me, but to no avail. Just as I was reaching to hold her mouth shut as I held her arms pinned, my companions knocked her unconscious. I had the fleeting feeling of happiness hoping she felt as helpless at that minute as the townspeople must have felt at the tragedy that befell them. I bound her and asked Nikos to carry her.

Thinking that was the end of it, Liadan and I went to confront the death cloud, hoping to kill it while the others were making their way to the Winter Stronghold to rescue any survivors.

While heading towards the cloud, out from an alleyway came Wyrstalker. He informed us that our friends were heading towards the people responsible for all of this. I flatly asked him if he was involved, and he said that after it started, he has been using guerrilla tactics to attempt to thwart those responsible. I asked about Olson, not forgetting what had been done to him, when he showed us his arrows, which did not resemble the ones used to kill Olson. I asked if he wanted to help us, can the three of us went back to the Winter Stronghold.

Little did we know that during that time Pascal and Burleau were there, trying to get through the last door of defense. The rest of my friends were in a heated battle with them, both sides using walls of energy and throwing spells at each other. I rushed Pascal and Burleau, passing a wall of fire just to stop in front of a wall of lighting separating me from the two of them. Arrows flew past from Telemnar and Nikos, while Liadan and Nekaya were circling the lightning wall, ready to rush the pair. Phaele cast a spell that caused a loud boom, deafening Pascal, who then cast something at Phaele, rendering her witless. I moved through the wall, lightning burning me as I desired to ply my hammer about Burleau’s neck and head. Nekaya, Liadan and Telemnar finished them off.

I attempted to knock on the stronghold door, but no sound was made, nor did it move. I tried using a light from my coin to flash an “all clear” signal under the door, but to no response. Just then, another greenish cloud started coming down the hallway towards us and the door. Knowing it would kill any survivors, I drank the anti-poison draught I had, and Liadan and I went to confront it, with Nekaya, Telemnar, and Nikos behind us. Suddenly a light shone from the center, as a wave of flame emerged and engulfed the entire hallway and room beyond, stopping at the stronghold door. The only one affected by the flames was Wyrstalker, which was odd. Erim stated that it was cast to not affect those of good heart.

I was surprised it didn’t affect me, as the thoughts running through my head the last few hours would hardly be deemed “of good heart”.

Out of the cloud stepped Gadron. He said that these people were hunting him. He looked as though he had been through a battle himself. We asked if he could help Phaele with her condition, and he obliged. I know I should trust him, but right now I can’t get over the fact that all these beautiful people died for him, and he doesn’t seem to care. He says there are no more survivors and that whatever’s behind the door to the stronghold is better left there.

He asked Phaele and Erim to go with him, as he needed to “cleanse” the town. As mad as I was, I went looking for survivors, with the rest coming with me except Nikos, who went with the spellhurlers. I told him, if he does anything to them, to kill him. It was wrong of me. I was letting my emotions get in the way of rational thought.

The rest of us went to confront and disperse the last death cloud.

We didn’t find any survivors, and the other three met us and said we had one hour to get beyond the walls of Camber before Gadron started the cleansing, and we would be lost. It was with weary heart and watery eyes I went to gather up Stone, Olson and as many of the other bodies I could find to give them a decent burial. In my anger, I almost left the ring Covenant gave me at the spot where Stone had fallen, as I was wondering where the new beginnings were for the dead of Camber…but I decided to keep it to put it to a better use.

Another odd thing in all this: Nikos came back leading an older-looking Califax. Not sure how that happened, not sure I care.

We meet Pakkin outside the walls, where he tells us there are groups of demons stationed at parts of the city wall. Looking for some way to release the tension in my muscles, we go hunting them, only to find them climbing the walls back into Camber. Knowing my heart, Telemnar put his hand on my shoulder and bade me wait. Shortly thereafter, a blue-white glow covers the town, and a large, glowing blue arcane symbol appeared on the front gate. It said “closed”.

We escorted Serrah and the now 23 in all survivors of Camber to the Puffleweiss farmstead. It’s not a short journey, as everyone is exhausted and going it by foot. A few outlying residents have come to see what happened and to discuss the rebuilding of Camber, or the building of a new Camber.

Serrah has stepped forward to lead these survivors as her strength returns. She will be a good leader.

I spend the next day helping with the burial of the bodies. I perform the ceremony for Stone. Grandfather, take care of him. He was a worthy defender and a good friend.

Stone, I’m taking the armor you wore and will wear it proudly, hoping that the day I exact vengeance on Furnael, one of the last things he sees is your armor.

I tell them to expect an order of supplies within the next fortnight or so. As soon as I can get to the next town, I’ll be sending as many supplies as the ring Covenant gave me can buy. I figure it’s the least Lathander can do to help this small community start anew…

sniffles

First Post
A Chance for Justice?

It has been 8 days since we departed from what remains of Camber. So much has occurred in that time that it will be difficult to chronicle it all in a sensible manner, but I will do my best. When I present this journal to my beloved on our reunion I hope that my recollections will make sense to her, Corellon willing.

The wizard Gadron had told Phaele and Erim that he would "cleanse" the town, though he did not explain in what manner he meant this. We had only a short time to search for survivors within the walls, and as he had predicted we found none. Once we had departed from within the town the gates were shut and marked with an arcane sigil that conveyed a simple message to deter the curious. We caught a glimpse of a number of demons entering the town, presumably to be destroyed or trapped there by some arcane means of Gadron's making.

I suspect that most of my companions would have remained to aid Serrah Puffleweis and the few other survivors, had not a burning desire for vengeance compelled us to continue our journey. Liadan performed a moving memorial ceremony for the dead and we departed with heavy hearts. Serrah and the others believe that with time they will be able to reoccupy the town and begin again, though we have our doubts.

Before we left the town, Nekaya swore an impassioned oath to Elishar to seek justice for the slain and vengeance upon Elder Furnael. She wrote a letter to be delivered to the elders of Halruua complaining fiercely of his deeds. Phaele advised that such a letter might be at best ignored and at worst ill-advised, and reminded Nekaya that the entire nation of Halruua cannot be held at fault for Elder Furnael's evils. Nekaya, I think, is not convinced. It is her belief that all are responsible for the evils that others do, if they do not act to prevent such evils. I do not think Phaele was able to change Nekaya's mind entirely, but Nekaya was persuaded to make some alterations to the text of her letter so that the elders might find it less offensive. Though not all of my companions nor I agreed with the young paladin's opinions, we all agreed to sign the letter.

Nekaya is also convinced that Gadron, too, is at fault for the deaths of the citizens of Camber. She refuses to believe that he did anything in their defense. I know too little of wizards myself to be certain what he may or may not have done. I do not find Gadron a personable man, but that does not mean that he is of an evil nature, and in any case Nekaya would likely be able to detect it if his intentions were truly sinister.
I think that she simply wishes to find someone on whom to assign blame, when she is not blaming herself for failing to protect the people of Camber from a doom she had no power to prevent.

As I had mentioned earlier, we have also come into care of Califax. Covenant's mighty steed seems somehow lessened in the time that we have been separated from him. He is passive and shows his age far more than he did when Covenant was present. Liadan insists upon looking after him herself, though of course I have offered to assist her. But I understand her desire. Califax is after all her father's horse, and she is convinced that her father will never return to her.

Nekaya held a vigil for three days, fasting and praying, before we took our leave of Camber. When she had recuperated, she called us all to her side and told us that she had received a vision. This vision told her to continue to the south to find enemies and justice. Her intention is to follow Elder Furnael, who she assumes will be returning to Halruua. Should our path still continue to Calimshan as we had intended, this means that we must part from her. Now that we have arrived in Ankhapur, I suspect that with her usual youthful impetuousness, she has misinterpreted the message.

The bustle and color of Ankhapur seems almost unreal after the terrible events in Camber. There is a festival of sorts taking place here, though nothing of the sort that took place on Camber's last day. The city is very crowded and seems to me to be pressed together on far too small an area of land, though most human cities seem cramped to me. The crowds here make me miss the meadows and gardens and great trees of my home.

On arriving we at once observed that there had been some sort of disturbance at the gate. Nikos, Liadan and Nekaya went to question several city guardsmen about the trouble, and Nekaya and Liadan offered the divine healing of their deities, which earned them a writ in gratitude that they may reclaim for healing at one of the local temples. While they spoke with the guardsmen, Nikos questioned a bystander who provided much information about the city and recent events.

It seems that over the past few days there have been several strange deaths, caused by the sudden appearances of monstrous creatures. Only the night before an ape with many arms had appeared and slain a man - a man who had already been reported dead! The creatures disappear as swiftly as they appear. How the dead man could be slain again the informant could not say. But our interest in this strange tale was deterred by the presence of two celebrities in the city. The first is Tyrion Sinistral, a paladin of the god Tyr, a man of great reputation. It was the second, however, who most aroused our interest. According to Nikos' informant, Elder Furnael of Halruua has been staying in Ankhapur for several weeks!

Naturally Nekaya wanted to go at once to the governor's palace, where Elder Furnael was reportedly staying, and expose his misdeeds to the governor. Erim was particularly opposed to any open confrontation of Elder Furnael, though he claims to have no fear of retribution. I am not one to counsel against confrontation when it is battle, but in this sort of matter I am not so willing to rush ahead without preparation. It occurred to me that the governor of so large a city as Ankhapur would have no good reason to see a band of adventurers such as ourselves. I doubted that the folk of Ankhapur would care what had happened to a small town such as Camber, it not being under their rulership, and though Liadan comes of a minor noble family of Cormyr, that does not seem to me reason enough for the governor to grant us an audience.

Nekaya, of course, did not wish to be counseled against immediate retribution, but we at last prevailed upon her to wait. The news we had heard was somewhat contradictory to what we knew of Elder Furnael, for we were told that he had arrived entirely alone, all of his retinue lost in the storm at sea. It was also said that the elder had been ill for some days and had not left the palace. Nekaya was persuaded that we should first be certain this man was the same man we knew before we made any plans of bringing him to justice. It was possible that this man might be some impostor, or even that the man we saw in Camber was the false elder.

In addition, Nekaya seeks to contact the paladin of Tyr, for Tyr is god of justice, and this paladin may be able to aid us in finding a way to bring the murderers of Camber to justice. Now we wait to observe the man in the palace, and to find an opportunity to speak with the paladin.

But this discovery in Ankhapur is not the only surprise we have had in the past few days. Liadan also revealed to us that Lathander has granted her the ability to magically contact any person of her choosing, no matter where that person may be. She has been using this ability in an attempt to reach our missing friends. Thus far she has had no success, for though this spell is divinely granted it is not guaranteed success. There may be some other magic preventing our friends from responding.

But Liadan has reached one other person of whom we know: Fallon Nightstar, who deserted us or was taken from us while we waited on the mountainside immediately after our friends left us. Ever taciturn, Fallon has refused to answer questions put to him by this magical communication, and in any case the spell does not permit a long conversation. Fallon is now in his home city of Amn. It may be that when we have completed our business in Calimshan, we will travel to Amn to find out what became of him. But that is a decision best left for another day.

In the meanwhile, while we wait to observe Elder Furnael, we have accumulated a quantity of items we have no use for, the spoils of battle against the ogres and the despoilers of Camber. Many of these items are magical, though many also are unusable for us, either because they are made for creatures far larger than any of us, or because they use the foul shadow magic that none of us would sully our hands with. Phaele has seen to determining what these items are so that we can know their true value, and such items that we can use have been distributed among us.

We are staying at an inn called the Cobblestone, which was recommended to us by the fellow at the gate. Somehow it seems that Gadron has learned our whereabouts, though I suppose I should not be surprised that a wizard of his power could do this.
A package arrived addressed to us, which turned out to contain a pair of saddlebags. When Nekaya opened them she found that they held far more within them than any ordinary saddlebag. After she had drawn out a collapsible chair Liadan recognized that these must be her father's. Along with them came all of Califax's harness and tack. Naturally Liadan has taken charge of all of these things.

I must pause now. We are being circumspect and even here in the Cobblestone Inn we are keeping watch, in case Elder Furnael should attempt to dispose of us before we can expose him. I pray that Corellon keep watch over all of my friends, and most of all over my dear Erendis, wherever she may be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Sword of Justice

The festival which is taking place in Ankhapur at this time that includes among its activities a horse race. Liadan convinced me to enter Aratan in this race. Ankhapur's citizens are evidently quite proud of the horses bred in their climes - justifiably so if I may judge by the animals I saw at the festival grounds. I paid two silver pieces for entry into the race. To my amusement, Liadan attempted to improve my standing among the competitors by boasting of Aratan's speed.

In the hope that he can aid us in bringing Furnael to justice, we have decided to seek the advice of the paladin of Tyr, Sir Tyrion. Nicos had learned that he had been holding audiences in a manor house in the city. It was decided that all of us would proceed there as early in the day as feasible to seek an audience with the paladin.

Already a line of supplicants had formed outside the manor when we arrived. These were being overseen by several warriors known as Soldiers of Tyr, who served in Sir Tyrion's retinue. We were questioned by these men as to our business with the paladin, though they acknowledged only Nicos and Nekaya. They showed some interest in the fate of Camber, as did some others among the waiting throng. Rumors abounded regarding the destruction of the town, most of them wildly speculative.

After arranging for an audience at noon, my companions and I parted company for a short while. At midday we met again at Sir Tyrion's manor and were conducted into a dining hall to meet the representative of Tyr. He kindly shared his midday meal with us.

Sir Tyrion is a most impressive man of middle years, who strangely has bound up his left hand in such a way that it is withered to the size of a child's hand. He bears a mighty blade known as Justice which contains some powerful divine grace. This blade he wears on his back in a baldrick at all times, so that one may see its guard in the form of a balance scale over his shoulder. Such is the power of this sword that most of my friends and I felt unworthy to be in its presence. I experienced a sudden wave of guilt for every minor transgression I have ever committed. Only Nekaya seemed little affected by the aura of judegement the sword radiated.

After we had dined - most of us in silence, cowed by our feelings of shame - Nekaya showed Sir Tyrion the ring taken from the wizard Pascal in Camber, which he examined most thoroughly. Then he asked each of us to swear upon Justice as to the truth of our claims. When he drew the sword from its sheath it transformed from a longsword into a kind of scepter. Once we had each laid a hand on this scepter and testified to what we recalled of our experiences in Camber - my own memory still being inaccurate according to my friends, as a result of the spell cast on me by the priestess of Shar - Sir Tyrion assured us that he would speak as soon as possible with Elder Furnael.

His intention at that time was to summon the elder to him for questioning, and thus we waited to witness this event. But Elder Furnael would not come to Sir Tyrion, and the paladin then arranged to go to the governor's palace. We were given a choice to remain at the manor or be summoned once he returned. Rock and Nekaya chose to remain while the rest of us returned to the Cobblestone Inn.

Our dinner at the inn was a quiet one, for most of us still felt the effects of Sir Tyrion's aura. Nicos in particular was visibly shaken by this experience, having already confessed to us that his past has contained some actions of which he is not proud. But despite our solemn demeanor, we did overhear the other patrons of the inn discussing various affairs of the day, including the plentiful rumors regarding Camber. We did not disabuse any of these folk of their misconceptions. Nicos also overheard some folk of the Millwright family, who are evidently horse breeders of some good standing, whispering and plotting as to how they might win the horse race.

Late in the evening Nekaya came to call us back to speak with Sir Tyrion. He told us that Elder Furnael had answered all his questions and denied all accusations. Sir Tyrion evidently has some ability to sense the truth or falsehood of a statement, and he stated that he could not sense that Elder Furnael's remarks were either false or true. He advised us that should Elder Furnael suddenly depart from the city, the paladin would consider this an admission of guilt and pursue him.

He also permitted us to perceive precisely what he had experienced during his conversation with Furnael. In some manner Justice is able to preserve a memory of what it perceives, and by touching the sword-scepter we were also able to see this as though we had been present. It was by this means we were able to confirm that the man we met as Elder Furnael in Camber and the man appearing under that name here are the same.

Now we are more confused than ever as to how Elder Furnael could seemingly be in two places at once. For now we will continue to watch him, seeking any opportunity to expose his secrets. It is still possible that some other person was masquerading as the Halruuan.
I pray that Corellon Larethian give us all the wisdom to act when the proper moment comes.

In the meanwhile I must prepare for the horse race. I have every confidence in Aratan, and will pray only that Corellon keep him safe from harm. And as always, I wish that my beloved Erendis could be here, but as she is not I pray that she be safe.

Quips & Quotes for this session:

Jubilee: "Justice waits for no man."
Setni (Nicos' player): "Nor does lunch, apparently."

Zora: "I wonder if Heward's Handy Haversack is waterproof? I could fill it with water using the rune of create water."
Devo: "You need a 7-foot straw."
Hedrin: "Heward's Handy Sippy Cup!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fortunes and Farewells

We have managed to gain personal experience of the monstrous creatures that have been plaguing this city of late. My friends and I were merely walking through the streets this day when I sensed something peculiar and turned to be confronted by a huge, black, horned beast that had appeared without warning. No doubt it was summoned by some dark witchery. This massive creature began to thrust its way through the pedestrians on the street, hurling them aside like so many leaves tossed on a fast-flowing stream.

I drew my swords and leapt to strike it at once. I believe that Erim may have cast a spell of haste upon the us all but I was so concentrated upon halting the beast's charge that I am not certain. At that time I was not aware that it had a particular target, but my companions observed a man bearing an odd smoldering dagger who seemed to be the focus of the monster's fury. This man fled into a side alley rather than face the creature.

My blades struck true again and again, though the monster's black hide was as tough as steel. My friends also attacked the beast, but so large was it that I could not see them beyond its bulk. Erim had chanced to move up within sword's reach of the beast and it caught him on its horns and tossed him into the air just as I struck it a fatal stab. It would have collapsed atop him had I not caught hold of him and drawn him out of the way.

Once it was slain the monster simply vanished as though it had never been. This confirmed for Erim and Phaele that some wizardry was afoot. Of the man it had been pursuing we could find no trace other than his peculiar weapon.

Afterward Liadan presented each of us with a small brooch in the form of Lathander's emblem. Through these she can extend her deity's healing mercies to us at a distance. She regretted that she had been unprepared to present these gifts to us prior to our encounter with the black creature, but thanks to Corellon none of us had suffered any serious harm.

We struggled with the decision as to how to proceed in our inquiries regarding Elder Furnael.
Our small company has little power to affect one of such lofty position, and though perhaps Nekaya would not agree with me on this, we cannot merely attack him on the street. We have concluded that we must seek more information. It is still possible that some other person masqueraded as the elder to mislead us.

We have attempted to watch Furnael further, but rumors tell that he has been ill for the past week. He is reputed to be planning to attend the horse race. Perhaps we will see him at that time. Other rumors indicate that the Millwright family intend to prevent Sir Tyrion from judging the race. We have advised him of this, but it seems unlikely such a plot can succeed against one so well-protected.

Nekaya has learned by questioning some of the servants at the governor's palace that Furnael fell ill at about the same time that Camber was attacked. Phaele and Rock learned that prior to his illness he had purchased a number of enchanted items and exotic animals. Phaele thinks this odd, for the items he purchased would not ordinarily be of interest to one as well-versed in the arcane arts as an elder of Halruua. Things which seem exotic to us are quite ordinary in her homeland. This discovery further suggests to me that some impostor is masquerading as the elder. But does this then mean that the man we met in Camber was the true Halruuan wizard?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that the Millwright family are more devious and more determined to win the race than I had imagined possible. They have attempted to poison Aratan!

I took him to the festival grounds to exercise this morning, and found that he did not seem quite himself. When we returned to the inn I sought Liadan's aid, for she is not only a healer but also a trained farrier. She quickly determined that Aratan had been poisoned. An examination of the stables revealed sacks of contaminated grain.

We called the ostler to us to question him, and under our angry gaze he soon confessed that the Millwright family had persuaded him to allow them to feed the poisoned grain to my faithful steed. I lost my temper at this point and caught hold of his shirt front, lifting his feet off the ground. He will think carefully before he crosses one of the Tel'Quessir again, I believe.

The stable manager was summoned and apologized profusely for this affair. The ostler was dismissed from his position, and Aratan was given free lodging. Liadan called upon Lathander's healing energies to ease some of Aratan's discomfort. Tomorrow she will be able to summon further healing grace.

Rock was furious when I explained to him what had occurred. I have little doubt that if he can arrange it the Millwrights will suffer his wrath for their actions.

As we dined this evening, Erim told us of a peculiar encounter he had experienced earlier. An unknown woman had approached him and offered to assassinate Elder Furnael for an exhorbitant sum! Naturally he scoffed at her suggestion. Then Nicos shocked us all with an unexpected announcement: he has decided to join the retinue of Sir Tyrion!

He was greatly impressed by the paladin, and the aura of judgement we experienced during our meal with Tyrion has made Nicos think on his past and his desire to atone for his previous actions. He feels that service with Tyrion will be the best way in which to do this.
In preparation for his departure he gave me one of the well-crafted shortswords he carries, and also the enchanted archer's bracers we found among the ogres in the Cloven Mountains.

I am of course grateful for these items, but sorry to see Nicos leave us. He has been with us so short a time and we have had little opportunity to know him well. I know that Liadan will be particularly saddened by his departure. He has already become like a brother to her. But if this new direction will ease his heart, then I wish him well. I pray that Corellon watch over him.

Quips & Quotes:

Devo: "It has all the hallmarks of a summoned creature."
Zora: "Aw, it's a Hallmark creature - for when you care enough to summon the very best."

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
A Race for Justice

The day of the horse race dawned with no sign of Rock or Liadan. Rock had been so insensed by the attack on Aratan that he had set off to take the Millwright family to task for their behavior. Liadan had accompanied him to keep him out of trouble - a futile task, I fear.

I made my way to the fairgrounds where the race was to begin and took Aratan for a quiet ride through some open country that lay near to the fair. As I rode I noted two other riders coming along behind me. At first I paid them little mind, but after a short while I began to be convinced that they were following me with no good intent. My suspicion was confirmed when I turned Aratan and rode past them in the opposite direction. They did not acknowledge my greeting, and one of them bore a crossbow.

As I continued back toward the faigrounds, I heard the snap of a bowstring. Before I could steer Aratan aside, a bolt had struck him in the near flank. Observing that the injury was not serious, I quickly took charge of my startled steed and raced back toward his attacker. This insult was too much to bear. My fine mount had done this fellow no harm, and to risk Aratan's life over a mere competition seems ludicrous to me. But I am afraid I lost my composure.

Two swift slashes with Sulian brought the crossbowman down, while his accomplice fled. I then dismounted and examined Aratan's wound. I had the foresight to bring several potions of healing in my saddlebags and applied one of these. Then I turned my attention to the injured man. I noted that the side of his face wore a purpling bruise that I had not inflicted; I later learned that must have been Rock's doing. As I did not wish to kill this man I used another potion to heal him sufficiently that he would not expire. When he regained his sense I remarked to him that perhaps he ought to find a more honorable method of winning races, such as having a good horse. Then I mounted Aratan once more and returned to the fairgrounds.

The blood on Aratan's flank caused some consternation among the other riders. I cleaned him and prepared to await the start of the race. My friends soon arrived and Liadan kindly extended Lathander's mercy to Aratan to relieve him of the last effects of the poisoned grain. I left my blades with her as the race officials indicated weaponry would be frowned upon.

The other competitors and I gathered to observe as a gnome summoned up an illusory map to show us the racecourse. The course wound through various pieces of terrain and passed several potential obstacles. Along the way, guides in red vests would help to keep the racers from straying, and judges would also be present to deter any attempts at diverging from the course. We were told that we might increase our winning scores by taking a stave topped with a red flag from a barrel during the last third of the race.

My friends wished me luck and warned me against two of the other competitors, who were members of the troublesome Millwright family. I had noted that the two men I had encountered during my morning ride showed signs of having been involved in a scuffle, and the two Millwright riders showed similar evidence of injury. Rock looked quite smug when he pointed them out to me.

I said a brief prayer to Corellon for the safety of my mount before the race began. Despite his experiences during the morning, Aratan performed admirably. We galloped past a flock of geese and through an apple orchard, having already achieved such a lead on our competitors that I felt confident enough to snatch an apple from a bough as we passed beneath. A flock of sheep and two herd dogs provided no distraction, as I called out to the dogs to heel and they readily obeyed my command. When we reached a small bridge crossing a stream I chose to take a nearby ford instead.

A red-vested guide directed me to the right, and I permitted Aratan to run on a short distance before realizing that the map I had seen indicated a turn to the left after crossing the stream. Fortunately this unintended detour did not cause me to lose my lead. More amused than angered by yet another subterfuge from the Millwright clan, I turned my steed back to the correct course.

I must have lost my concentration, however, for I failed to properly judge the distance when I came to the barrel of staves, and missed my grasp. Another Millwright supporter attempted to startle Aratan by hurling some exploding object at him but I was able to steer him away enough that it did not deafen us. As we galloped toward the final stretch more Millwright compatriots hurled rotten vegetables at us. Poor Aratan crossed the finish line covered in filth. I did not realize until I saw my companions' elated faces that we had won the race!

The Millwrights had failed in whatever scheme they had prepared to prevent Sir Tyrion from judging the race. He stood upon a small dais beneath a tent, with the city governor and Elder Furnael nearby. I noticed that there was a second man with the Halruuan elder, wearing a similar style of dress and surrounded by orbiting magical stones, but I did not know who he was.

I was already beginning to realize the import of my winning: in addition to a handsome statue of a horse and a purse of 800 gold pieces, I would be given an opportunity to seek a boon of the Justice of Tyr!

Suddenly my attention was drawn to a figure in the audience who appeared to have smoke emanating from his person. This reminded me of the peculiar knife we had found in the street on the previous day, following the attack by the huge black beast. The smoldering figure appeared to be moving toward the dais. Then a knife hurtled toward Elder Furnael! It struck some invisible force near the Halruuan's body and hung motionless in the air.

Furnael's features curled into a cruel smile as he began the gestures to summon some arcane force, and a shape began to form nearby. The audience screamed in panic as a huge golden bear, covered with bony spikes, appeared beneath the tent!

Jubilee: "Nekaya utters a short prayer to Elishar to heal this vessel and Rock gets 30 HP back."
Devo: "And Elishar says this vessel is only a quarter full!" (Rock has over 120 HP - he'd lost about 80% in a bar fight)

Devo (to Nekaya): "You see no evil in this man."
Erim: "And no trans-fatty acids!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next session: A Furnael and Four Elders

The huge golden bear at once began to target the would-be assassin. As I stood gaping in astonishment, Liadan approached the dais and handed me my swords. But I did not draw them. Furnael began to gesture and mouth arcane syllables once more, his eyes on the man who had hurled the smoking knife at him. A burst of magical energy lanced out from the Halruuan, but the assassin deftly managed to avoid the effect of the spell.

Sir Tyrion shouted some words about justice, though I cannot now recall quite what he said. He brandished his sword imperiously. I could see that Nekaya was casting some divine enchantment on the assassin, though it seemed to me that she was calling upon one of her gods to heal the man, much to my confusion. As Erim clambered onto the dais I felt the familiar tingle of his spell of haste. But I had no opportunity to avail myself of my increased alacrity.

Rock struck the bear reluctantly with his hammer, bringing the skull-shaped head down on the creature with a resounding blow. When he struck a second time the bear collapsed on top of the man it had been assaulting and then simply vanished. I recognized the signs of cold fury on Rock's face as he bellowed at Furnael. Furnael then cried out incongruously for justice. The second Halruuan wizard flung a spell at Rock. It was countered by a burst of arcane force from somewhere within the crowd and I realized that Phaele must have blocked the Halruuan's wizardry with her own.

Sir Tyrion called for all aggression to cease, and I was cowed by the power within his words. Furnael then accused my friends and I of aiding the assassin! One of the Halruuans conjured a huge blue hand of spectral force that thrust Rock away from the dais. He struggled fiercely for a moment before the hand winked out of existence beneath his might. In the meanwhile Nekaya had begun to argue with Furnael, who demanded that the assassin be executed on the spot.

Sir Tyrion once more called for justice, but Furnael did not heed him. The Halruuan sent a bolt of lightning at the fallen assassin, and Nekaya interposed her body to shield the injured man, taking the brunt of the bolt herself. Furnael's action so offended Sir Tyrion that he struck the wizard in the back of the head with the pommel of his sword!

As I gaped in surprise, I became aware that the air surrounding us was filled with arcane energies. Four figures abruptly materialized around the area in which Furnael stood. I knew by their elaborate attire that they must also be Halruuan mages of great power. One floated in the air like a tuft of thistledown, while another was wreathed in flames that did not burn him. All had enchanted stones circling their heads and bore staffs or wands in their hands, and their eyes glowed an eerie blue.

The mage who stood by Furnael began to speak, and as he drew breath, Furnael vanished! One of the new arrivals exclaimed, "It is worse than we feared - he must be stopped," and all four of the wizards also disappeared, along with the man who had stood beside Furnael. This left my friends and I standing alone with Sir Tyrion.

The assassin clambered to his feet and Sir Tyrion touched him with his sword, pronouncing some portentous words to dispel all pretense. The assassin's form shifted and blurred, transforming from an ordinary man to a strange greyish creature with indistinct features -
I believe he was a doppelganger. He appeared startled by this transformation and swiftly resumed the appearance of a man.

Under Nekaya's questioning the doppelganger admitted that he had masqueraded as Furnael during the time that Camber was under siege. Afterward the elder had attempted to slay the shapechanger, and the doppelganger had slain four people and assumed their identities in an attempt to elude the elder's attacks. This explained both how Furnael could be in two places at once, and the reason behind the strange appearances of monstrous creatures in Ankhapur, as Furnael had attempted to dispose of the shapeshifter.

Sir Tyrion took charge of the assassin to bring him to justice. Though Nekaya and Liadan asked for mercy on his behalf, it seems likely that the shapechanger will die for his crimes. I was surprised when Nekaya sought clemency for the assassin, for she has been so vengeful in pursuit of Furnael. But perhaps her more recent allegiance to Elishar has softened her. Sir Tyrion assured her that should the Halruuans not return, he would continue his pursuit of Furnael.

A scant moment after he stated this, two of the Halruuans reappeared. One of them was the younger man who had stood with Furnael. His name was Geeghan Waas, a magehound of Halruua. Waas explained to us that the other elders had succeeded in capturing Furnael and would return him to his native land to meet justice, stripped of all his arcane power. He would be questioned thoroughly regarding his evil acts. While Waas spoke to my friends and I, the other wizard conversed with Sir Tyrion.

Rock asked Waas if Furnael's possessions might be sold and the proceeds sent to the survivors of Camber. Waas seemed pleased by this idea and stated that he would suggest it to the council of elders. He then produced a small bag and a chest adorned with ornate latches and a silver symbol upon its lid. I am told this symbol is the sigil of Mystra, goddess of magic, who is greatly revered in Halruua. He offered both bag and chest to us in reward for our aid in capturing Furnael.

Rock took charge of the bag, which was filled with a quantity of precious gems. These were enchanted gems of the variety the Halruuans have encircling their heads. The chest held stacks of what at first appeared to be wooden disks bearing the tenets of Mystra. But when touched these disks transformed into platinum coins! The Halruuan elder explained that this was a mere token of their gratitude, and that we would remain in high esteem among his people. I am proud of my companions for their determination not to let Furnael escape retribution.

Magehound Waas then spoke privately with Phaele for a moment. When she turned back to us she explained that her parents had been afflicted by some mysterious illness that seemed to affect only the households of those with sorcerous power. Sorcerers are not well regarded in Halruua, hence Phaele's departure from her homeland. But as a result of her parents' illness Phaele intended to accompany the elders back to Halruua. She knows our intended destination and can perhaps even communicate with us by contacting Sandrue in Arrabar, who has the other enspelled book.

It is sad to say farewell to yet another of our company, but I cannot begrudge her the opportunity to be reunited with her family in their time of need. As the Halruuans were departing immediately to return to their native land, our farewells were perforce kept brief.

I pray that Corellon keep Phaele and her family safe, and that the people of Halruua will maintain their vigilance against the temptation to evil. Now I must go and contemplate the boon Sir Tyrion granted me. I do not wish to squander such a gift. Naturally my inclination is to seek some sign as to the fate of my dear Erendis. Corellon grant me wisdom!

Devo: "The bear bellows - meow!"
sniffles: "The bear has laryngitis!"
Hedrin: "Bearyngitis."

Erim: "I cast Bigby's Interposing Paladin."

sniffles: "Come on! I don't have all instant!"

Devo: "Who pinched my guano?"

Zora tells a story about an orc running away with his PC's magic dagger impaled in its back.
Jubilee: "That's why you should never let the bad guys escape - you never know what magic items they might have impaled in their backs."
Erim: "Oh, look, he's got a magic ring impaled on his finger."

Devo: "Brimstone Keep sprang up overnight like an instant fortress, but not mithral like Daern's Instant Fortress."
Zora: "Bob Vila's Instant Fortress. This Old Fortress."

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
A Foul Fate Averted

Between sessions

I missed the most previous session of this campaign due to illness (stupid cold!).

Telemnar received a 'boon' from Tyrion Sinistral, paladin of Tyr, as a result of winning the horse race in Ankhapur (which he did by rolling well on Ride checks, not because he's a PC).

After careful consideration, the question Telemnar asked of Sir Tyrion's sentient sword, Justice, was this: "How may I be reunited with my dear wife?"

Here is the response of the sword, emailed to me by our illustrious GM, Devo:

"You stand before Tyrion Sinistral, with Judgement held out between you.
Tyrion bids you place your hands upon his blade, then closes his eyes.
You touch Judgement, and instinctively close your own eyes.

A hollow, emotionless voice echoes from out of the darkness.

"Injustice! Constructed by immortal artefact, not divine.
This question cannot be answered by cosmic being,
For this place is hidden from cosmic sight;
Mortal eyes must find the way.
Spirit and form sundered one from another.
Great injustice to the Elf Lord, who has not collected his due.
Greatness is measured in deed and intent,
And only in the Shadows of Greatness will you find your answer."

There is a power to this cryptic answer, if an answer it is. And yet
Telemnar has the deep-buried feeling that everything he needs is hidden
in this riddle. The consideration and introspection that comes from
pondering Tyr's answer opens up new paths of contemplation for our elf
warrior.

Telemnar gets +2 Wisdom."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to dive right into our latest session, since I missed the previous session, and Telemnar hasn't told any of the other PCs except Rock about the divination he received.

When we had dispatched all of the monstrous creatures, we turned our attention to the huge horror that had remained where it sat near the dwarven wagons. Rock charged up to it, still filled with cold rage, and began to pound it with his hammer.

I rode Aratan after him, but on approaching the thing I thought it wiser not to risk my mount even with the handsome new barding I had purchased in Ankhapur, particularly after seeing how one of its spawn nearly slew Pekuah. I leaped down and ran to my friend's side, but before I could reach him the hideous creature had extruded a portion of itself and caught hold of him, lifting him above my head. By the time I was within reach it engulfed my friend!

I began to slash and hack at the thing in an effort to cut my way through to Rock. Nekaya and even Pakkin came up beside me and joined in this effort. The goblin is more courageous than I have given him credit for in the past.

The creature struck at me several times with its extrusions but I was able to avoid the brunt of its blows. Liadan sent Lathander's healing energies to all of us through the brooches she had given us, and seared the monster with her god's holy light. At last it fell still, and we were able to cut Rock free.

We had only a few moments to enjoy our victory, however, for we saw in the distance that more monsters were coming toward us, following a trail of slime that led off into the distance. As we caught our breath and enjoyed the application of more divine healing from Liadan and Nekaya, we were approaced by a dwarf wearing the emblem of the dwarven god Clangeddin. Rock has been teaching me of the gods of his people.

This dwarf spoke to us in the common tongue, telling us that we should not be so pleased with our victory for this monster we had just vanquished was the third of its kind he and his brethren had seen. He was near to collapsing from exhaustion as he spoke. Nekaya and Liadan then called on the power of their gods to give him relief of his weariness and to remove some disease that one of the creatures had inflicted upon him. After this he seemed less gruff in his manner.

All the while we were speaking with the dwarf - who never told us his name - we continued to hear a strange chanting that had been going on during our struggle with the monsters. The dwarf believed that to be coming from the source of whatever was bringing these horrors into existence.

He and his brethren refused to leave the wagons, even after Liadan had healed most of their wounds, explaining that the goods they carried were too valuable to abandon. I thought this a strange way of looking at the matter and asked Rock what could be so valuable that the dwarves would risk their lives. The priest replied that the items in the wagons were the fruits of their labor. When I remarked that only one's friends and loved ones are worth dying for he did not respond. He did confide to us that among the items they carried was a quantity of starmetal, which he believed was attracting the monsters in some manner.

We mounted our steeds and parted company with the dwarves, leaving them in better condition to face the approaching creatures. It was paramount to prevent any further creatures from being brought into the world. Erim had determined that most probably some entity was summoning the monsters from another plane of existence.

We followed the trail of slime for a distance, all the while seeing monsters pass us by, seeming interested only in reaching the dwarven caravan. At last we came upon a small hillock and saw the source of the creatures. On the hill a ring of figures surrounded a small altar, and above them a dark rent had appeared in the sky, as if some horror from another realm had torn a hole into our world.

Through the rent we could see something vast and dark moving slowly. Innumerable black tentacles extended down from this rift, some of them plunging into the hill, others groping about as if seeking something. All around the hill a distortion filled the air like waves of heat from a fire. Erim told us this must be some magical defense for the figures around the altar, to prevent us from attacking with spells or bows at a distance.

Seeing that approaching the altar would be difficult in the presence of the tentacles, we quickly formed a plan of attack. At that point, Pakkin to my surprise offered up four potions in his possession that would cause a person to grow larger. He was willing to share them with us. I accepted one gratefully, as did Liadan, Nekaya, and Rock.

Erim suggested that he should cast several spells upon my person so that I could attack the altar directly. First he cast an enchantment that turned my skin to stony hardness. I swiftly drank a potion I had long carried that would give me the strength of a bull. Then Erim transformed me into an ethereal figure of mist.

I found that I could not move quickly in this form, though I could float along without touching the earth and the tentacles did not perceive me. As I proceeded to the altar, my friends struggled to make their way through the forest of black tentacles. All of them were caught and held at times, though most were able to break free and continue toward the altar. Poor Erim, however, was unable to free himself and could not draw nearer.

When I had reached the altar Erim pronounced the command that would return me to solidity. I found that on the altar lay a corpse that appeared to have had its heart torn out. With a murmured prayer to Corellon I positioned myself to straddle this poor unfortunate so that I could attack the mages from a higher vantage.

Attacking the wizards and priests was not as simple as I had hoped. I realized once I stood above them that these figures were no longer human. Their features seemed to have melted like silver in a crucible, and several of them looked as though two persons had been fused together. I quickly discovered that the magical field we had passed through to approach the hill was not their only defense. Any wound I inflicted upon them appeared to be spread to all, such that no one figure suffered much injury.

When I struck at the wizards the tentacles began to grasp at me. I was able to pull myself free of their grasp, but this slowed my ability to attack my foes. One tentacle caught hold of my shortsword and wrenched it from my hand. I swiftly drew Tasarol and continued my assault, focusing my blows on only one of the spellcasters who had extended a tentacle from himself and was using it to threaten Rock.

At the same time a great swarm of black insects had emerged from the rift overhead and began clambering over Rock. He resisted their stings and directed his attacks at the tentacled mage. Liadan first struck some of the others with her mace, but a tentacle disarmed her. She then began to call Lathander's power to sear them with light.

Pakkin had insisted upon coming with us, but was quickly caught up by the tentacles and could not get free. Nekaya freed herself and then pulled him free as well, carrying him upon her back. A wave of magical energy burst out from the altar or one of the mages; I felt it try to affect me and then fade, but the goblin wailed in terror.

Under our determined onslaught, several of the priests suddenly collapsed. They were gathered up by tentacles and lifted into the rent in the sky. Abruptly I felt as though time had lurched, like a horse stumbling. I realized that I and the remaining priests had all been repositioned somehow. I was no longer standing on the altar. But I was still larger than the priests and continued to slash at the target I had been attacking.

The tentacle that had stolen my sword from me began to slash at me with it, though it did not do me much harm. It was distracting to have such a thing attacking me, I must confess. But I had entirely forgotten the presence of the ioun stone that had been orbiting my head all during the battle.

The disturbing chanting coming from the rift grew more insistent. Erim shouted out that the ritual must be reaching a climax. If we did not succeed soon then whatever lay on the other side of the rift would be able to enter our world. Liadan hurled another bolt of divine light, and the remaining priests fell to the ground to be scooped up by tentacles and borne away.

Then another man suddenly appeared through the rift. He shouted out to us that thought we had succeeded this day, his Master would return. Then a black tentacle shot down from the slowly diminishing rift, and impaled him through the skull! Had it not been so horrific it might have been comical to see his expression go from gloating to shocked.

Then the tentacle retracted and the rift vanished. The man stood with a vacant look in his eyes. A terrible howl arose, and my mind went blank*.

*Rock and Telemnar both failed their saves against a 'confusion' effect.

I can't help but remember this session fondly. Before he approached the altar, Telemnar was enhanced by enlarge, gaseous form , stoneskin, and bull's strength. He also had an ioun stone that gave him +2 Dex. :)

Quips & Quotes

Devo: "The chanting you hear is in Abyssal."
Jubilee: "Aw, I don't speak that. What about Goblin?"
Devo: "No, that would be Abysmal."

Sniffles: "It can't attack now - it ate a Rock!"

Erim: "Can jello actually be prone?"
Devo: "Jello puddle pops!"

Devo: "You hear Pakkin's bowels move."
Jubilee: "Ew! I put him down."
Devo: "No, no, he's comfortable."
Erim: "Oh, now you want to put him down when it gets inconvenient!"

Jubilee: "Does he have Liadan's mace?" (We thought it had been pulled through the rift)
Devo: "He does not."
Jubilee: "Throw him back!"

Hedrin: "I broke Rock's Will!" (Hedrin was running Rock due to Zora's absence. We have a running joke that rolling a 1 means something breaks)

Last edited:

Remove ads