Shadows of Greatness, a Forgotten Realms campaign UPDATED February 1, 2008

sniffles

First Post
A Confusion of Riches

My recollection of the next few moments is unclear. At first I stood witless, and for some unknown reason Rock, who had been nearest me, began to run swiftly away from the vicinity. He then reduced in size to his normal height. A few breaths later he rushed back toward me and began to attack me! I shouted at him urgently, but no one could comphrehend my speech and I cannot recall what message I sought to convey.

When Rock struck me I felt compelled to return the attack. But my friend is capable of devastating blows and I quickly fell to the ground insensible. When I opened my eyes once more Liadan towered over me, still under the effect of the potion Pakkin had offered. I found myself attacking her, though I did not wish her any harm. She attempted to relieve me of my weapons and instead I turned this tactic back upon her.

In the meanwhile Nekaya had begun to attempt to pin Rock's arms so that he could attack no one else. Like myself, his behavior changed from moment to moment under effects of the curse.

I came to my senses once more and Liadan asked me to hand over my blades, as Erim had warned that I might become confused again at any time. I complied with her request. But thanks to Corellon the madness did not return. Rock approached me once his own madness had ceased and apologized for striking me, offering me one of his curative potions. I declined, for it was not my friend's desire to harm me, and Liadan had already given me sufficient quantity of Lathander's mercies to ease my wounds. Rock is too ready to take the blame for all sorrows on himself.

Rock took his grandsire's hammer and smashed the evil altar on the hillock into flinders. Once this was done we found that the priest whose head had been pierced by the black tentacle still lived, though his mind had fled. Nekaya and Liadan then began to disagree over what should be done with him. Nekaya insisted he should be slain at once, for his evil acts could not be forgiven. Liadan was unwilling to slay a helpless man and felt he should be offered a new beginning.

At last Liadan agreed that the man should be slain, for we had no means by which to care for him in his current state. She suggested using Lathander's power to cause him to be reborn in a new form, which she felt would fulfill the spirit of Lathander's teaching, but Nekaya feared he might continue to be evil even as something so low as a lizard. And in any case he would likely not survive long as a small creature, thus defeating the purpose of returning him to life. I did not contribute much to this discussion, feeling myself unworthy to speak. I did not wish to slay a helpless man any more than Liadan did, but I confess I had little forgiveness for his actions.

Liadan waited with the horses as Nekaya executed the man and searched his corpse for anything of import. Rock had been searching the other bodies and found several books of spells, but these were determined to be of a blasphemous nature. He also removed small quantities of starmetal from the corpses. All of the mad wizards had grafted bits of this stuff to their bodies. We decided to burn both bodies and books. The horrid books actually attempted to escape the flames, and had to be prodded back into the fire at sword point!

Having cleansed the hillock of evil to the best of our abilities, we returned to the dwarven caravan. On the way we encountered a few remaining of the monstrous things that had come through the rift, and we slew them.

On arriving among the dwarves we found them once more weary and wounded. Liadan and Nekaya offered the healing mercies of their gods, and we arranged to stand watch over the dwarves as they rested. Their gruff leader, Rogar Deepspike, stood guard with us.

On the following morning the dwarves arose refreshed and were much less taciturn than they had been on our first meeting, though we could speak but little with them as few of them knew the common tongue and among us only Rock and Erim know the dwarven language.

Rogar Deepspike brought us gifts in gratitude for our aid. His caravan bore many finely crafted items of armor and weaponry, and some of these he gave to us. I received a pair of dark steel bracers that I am told will grant me greater protection than my chain shirt can alone. Though I am somewhat loath to remove the enchanted bracers I had shared with Nicos, I must admit I seldom use my bow when I can draw steel and meet my foes toe to toe.

My friends received similarly fine gifts. Rock was given a ring that can protect him from acids. Nekaya received a handsome breastplate of mithral, and Erim had a shirt of mithral chain of an unusual dark color. To Liadan the dwarf gave a steel shield that can produce lightnings. In return, Rock gave to Rogar a silver mug he has long been working. Rogar seemed duly appreciative of Rock's craftsmanship. Rogar also purchased some of the starmetal Rock had taken from the evil mages, but Rock wished to retain some of it for his own use.

To our surprise, the dwarves used some potion to turn the bodies of their fallen to stone for transport back to their homes. Once this was done we parted ways with them, for their path did not lie toward Brimstone Keep. I am glad to have met more of my friend's doughty race, though these southern dwarves are unlike Rock's people in many ways.

After two days of travel we neared the point at which Brimstone Keep was believed to lie. It is situated in lands known as the Border Kingdoms, a place of constant strife where new warlords seem to declare themselves as often as the spring flowers bloom. We were waylaid along the track by men claiming an exhorbitant tax of 20 gold pieces per leg - a princely sum with as many mounts and pack beasts as we have in our train. Liadan and Rock managed to persuade them to agree to a more equitable amount.

They knew nothing of the location of Brimstone Keep. We also inquired as to the Grey Wizard, as Havin Wayfinder is known in this land, but they knew very little of his affairs either, though we had heard in Ankhapur that some unknown person had taken possession of his tower. We were given tokens of green cloth to show that we had paid our road tax, and told that we had entered the "Iron Kingdom".

Later a fog began to form about us, carrying with it a sulfurous smell from the Lake of Steam. We perceived lights in the fog, resembling the lights from windows, though we could scarcely make out the structures in which those windows hung. We came upon a signpost bearing the name "Banin", which we presumed must be a town. Another sign presented itself bearing the image of a cup, a musical note, and the number 7, which was interpreted to be the Seven Song Cup, and inn or tavern of some sort. Not wishing to spend the night amid the fog, we sought out this establishment.

As we entered the patrons fell silent and stared at us. I observed six well-armed and armored men sitting in one corner. The tavernkeeper attempted to persuade us to leave, telling us that we had come to the wrong place. When asked if Brimstone Keep lay nearby he grew quite agitated. One of the armored men rose and began to speak to us in a langorous, sneering manner I found offensive. Each time he made a remark he turned to one of his companions for confirmation, as though he could not think for himself.

This sneering fellow ordered us to put our weapons behind the bar. As one we all refused, sensing danger. Nekaya mournfully remarked, "Can we keep at least one of them alive for questioning?" to Rock, and we set ourselves in opposition to the armored men as they rose and assumed a formation.

It was obvious that they were experienced soldiers and well-trained, but once Erim had reduced their agility with a spell, overcoming them was no challenge to us. I think that only Nekaya took any injury in the fight, and that was only because one of them had attacked her while she attempted to minister to one of his fallen companions. Though they watched their leader fall first to a single blow from Rock's hammer, the men foolishly refused to surrender.

When all had been sent to whatever afterlife they deserved, it was discovered that the green paint on their shields had covered an emblem of the Zhentarim. Wondering why the Zhents sought territory so far from their lands, we sought to question the barkeep. But he refused to answer any questions out of fear. He would not help us, nor would he leave, believing that he could talk his way out of any trouble our actions might bring to him.

Despite his recalcitrance, between his few remarks and comments made by the soldiers before their deaths we learned that Brimstone Keep has been overtaken by a warlord of the name Tellesk. It also seems that Kal Brimstone, the man to whom we are to deliver Gadron's package, still resides within the keep, though whether as prisoner or in cooperation with this warlord we do not know. Though we would gladly pass on and leave this place behind, we have made a promise to deliver Gadron's parcel, and we must now brave the dangers of the keep.

May Corellon bless us and protect us from evil.

Quips & Quotes for this session:

Zora: "We threw a Rock at it."

Erim: "Pakkin enbiggened us."
Hedrin: "Everyone needs more extrasize."

Devo: "You do nothing but babble incoherently."
Zora: "Which makes you a GM!"

Devo: "Pakkin is confused."
Erim: "But that's his normal state, so he doesn't have to roll."

Devo: "It's possible he (the wizard who got a head-piercing) was excommunicated from his church."
sniffles: "He was excommunicated from his brain!"

Jubilee: "I kill him while Liadan looks something up."

Hedrin: "He's got a scroll of atonement. It's a 'get out of guilt free' card."

Hedrin: "Sorry, Rock is in a rage right now, if you'd like to leave a message."

Zora

First Post
Rock's Journal entries

Here are the journal entries after 11/25/05, which got lost in the recent server crash.

I'll post one for the last session soon.

Journal entry 02/03/06

Dearest Grandfather,

I have erred. I did not remember your lessons from your own adventuring days. You told me on many occasion "Never let Abatthor's influence take hold on you. It's the surest way to lose friends and boon companions…and they are worth more than any material possession you could have."

Things I had taken possession of under the assumption they were mine to keep were thought of differently by my closest friends. I had to take a step back and evaluate what was important to me and how I came to this. Upon arriving in Ankhapur, I had a change of heart. I divested myself of those things causing this toll on my heart and wish nothing more to do with them. I will also be sending Stone's armor back to Serrah to be sent to his family, as I believe Abatthor had a hand in my decision in regards to that. Someone from his family may want to take up a quest to see justice done, and I can do so without that accoutrement.

You'll be glad to know I've been training myself to use my body to better take the impact of battle, rather than trying to use quickness to dodge out of the way. This allows me to stay closer to my foe and not let them escape me should the opportunity arise. I believe this will allow me to wear heavier armor in times of need and will not work against me. Time will tell.

In Ankhapur, it seems Gadron has found us. Or more specifically, Liadan. There was a box waiting for her with her father's magical saddlebags in it. They hold a tremendous amount of gear. I can see this has had an effect on her, receiving her father's things.

Speaking of Covenant, I sold the ring he gave me to purchase supplies for Camber. I know others were planning on doing something, but I felt that rather than use simple money, what better use for an item blessed by Lathander than to provide a new beginning for the people of Camber, who so desperately need it. With the supplies, I sent along Stone's armor in a box addressed to Serrah with instructions inside on what to do.

Just before noon, we met with Tyrion Sinistral, a paladin of Tyr, who carries the "Judgement of Tyr", a relic of Tyr's in service to the god of justice. We hope he may be able to help us with bringing elder Furnael to justice. Truth be told, I found his gaze unsettling, as if everything in my life was being judged. I tried to put up a brave front, but I was by no means unafraid. I felt especially sorry for Nikos, who was putting himself on the path of redemption. He made mention this disturbed him greatly, being in the presence of Tyrion and the sword.

We told Tyrion everything. Afterwards, the sword changed shaped to a king's sceptor, upon which we had to swear that everything we told him was the truth. I introduced myself with my true name and the title of Outwarden of Camber, which I think surprised a few of my companions. I'd come to the decision long ago; I guess I'd just forgotten to tell the rest of them other than Telemnar and Sandrue.

With that, Tyrion stated that he would go seek audience with Furnael, by requesting him to the manor house that Tyrion was using, or going straight to him if that did not work. Nekaya and I stayed behind to hear the outcome, while the rest went to relax at one of the local inns to ease their mind.

Tyrion returned later and we gathered to hear what he had to say. It seems Furnael claims no knowledge, planning, etc. of the attack on Camber. Tyrion stated that his words neither rung true nor false.

Something is wrong here. Magics are my guess.

Journal entry 02/17/06

Dear Grandfather,

There has been some talk in the city about monsters suddenly appearing to wreak havoc amongst the citizenry. We experienced this directly today as a sleek black triceratops appeared immediately after I heard some sort of arcane mumbling somewhere near me. It was a fiendish creature with armor that was hard to pierce.

We were all trampled upon its appearance, as it savagely tore into the locals unlucky enough to be there at that time. During the chaos, I could see one person who it seemed to be going for, a nondescript man that quickly fled the scene.

It disappeared into the nothingness it was spawned from, after Telemnar dealt it a fatal blow.

The lady Liadan presented us all with small golden pins in the shape of the sun, with which she can cast her healing into from some distance away. Quite a clever idea.

We found out at dinner that Nikos has decided to part ways with us and go into the service of Tyrion Sinistral. I wish him all the best and feel this is the right decision for him. He is well on his way to finding peace with himself. It turns out that part of this new beginning for him means ridding himself of material things and past debts. He returned the gold I loaned him when he purchased that sword of his. I was asked if I would find use of the enchanted short sword he had, but I still feel ashamed at my earlier behavior regarding such things. It is better off with Telemnar. He's becoming so fast with those swords, I feel sorry for anybody who crosses him.

Erim suggested we keep a constant vigil on Furnael, hoping to draw him out or learn some more. I am agreed with this and will take the late night as my watch. Phaele and I went out to investigate something I heard from a local man whom I plied with ale today. It turns out Furnael has been purchasing exotic pets and magical items from the local shops. Phaele assures me that nothing he has purchased would raise any interest from anyone in her homeland as being worthwhile, let alone an elder. We have passed this information on to Tyrion to further his investigation.

I have heard some distressing news. It turns out the local horsebreeders, the Millright family, who are usually favorites to win the horserace coming up, have taken it upon themselves to cripple the competition. Telemnar found Aratan feeling unwell, and asked lady Liadan for help. Liadan found poison amongst the grain that was being fed to Aratan. The ostler was convinced to confess his dealings with the Millrights, and that they paid him to poison poor Aratan. I'm glad I wasn't there, as I can't imagine what my friend's face would have looked like upon hearing that information. The Millrights are smart to be worried about Telemnar, as a finer horse trainer I've never seen. But they might have more reason to be worried about him now.

My throat chokes at the idea of someone going after a defenseless and trusting creature as Aratan. My heart breaks to think of how my best friend is feeling right now.

I'm heading off now for the Millright's favorite watering hole with Liadan and Nekaya in tow…

…to "cripple the competition"

Journal entry 03/10/06

Dear Pepa,

Well, I was thrown in jail again for being in a barfight. The difference being that this time I
purposely started it. Nekaya decided not to join, so I left the warhammer you made me with her. I didn't want it getting "lost" somewhere in the brawl or during my time locked up, if it comes to that.

Liadan went with me, ostensibly to keep me from getting into too much trouble, but I warned her to stay out of it, no matter what happens. Just make sure no one gets unduly hurt, and hold my money, to bail me out later. Turns out it was for naught, as she ended up getting arrested along with the rest of us.

I calmly entered the inn, ordered up one of the barkeep's finest, asked him which table the Millrights were at, then laid 50 gold and a gem worth half as much on the bar for him, letting him know that would be for any damages forthcoming. He asked "What's this for, then?"

I removed my gloves, tucked them into my belt and informed him "I intend to misbehave."

I walked over to the table, where 8 men sat at the table with 2 female companions. There was an older gentleman amongst them, better dressed than the rest. Probably the patriarch of the clan. I asked which one was the rider on the morrow, and guessed correctly which one it would be.

Proclaiming loudly that the Millrights are cheaters and the cause of the poor ostler losing his job, I made sure that the rider, older gentleman, and the ladies knew that they were safe from me as long as they didn't interfere.

Someone poured a drink down the back of my shirt, yet that did not deter me from letting them know that I was there to dispense justice for my best friend's horse, which they had poisoned. I made sure to tell them they are lucky that they are getting a warning as to the pain they were about to receive, which poor Aratan did not, and that they were getting a chance to fight back, which Aratan did not.

The rest is a little blurry.

I didn't go into my warrior's rage right off. I wanted to enjoy the punishment being dealt to these low, underhanded men. This is the first brawl I've been in since coming to know my friends. I've learned a few things since then. I paced myself, using my endurance training to make sure I lasted as long as I could. Once or twice, a weapon was used, and I made sure that that person took the full brunt of the punishment until they were down. Otherwise, my main goal was to make sure I hurt as many Millrights as I could. I wanted them ALL to be hurt in some way as punishment for what they did to my best friend.

As things went, it was going good. Then I saw Liadan in the middle of the ruckus and got worried. I needn't have. I had forgotten she group up with many brothers, and is my equal -if not better- in raw strength. I don't think she was hurt as bad as I was, since they were probably reticent to attack a female. I'm sure they learned the error of that as soon as she started swinging, however.

All told, the brawl involved 2 inns, 1 shop , and roughly 130 or so individuals and was called by the town guards a "riot", rather than a simple brawl. I don't remember the name of the shop, as a Millright broke the sign on the door with his face -I told you Liadan was strong-, but I want to apologize to the shopkeeper when I get a chance.

Nekaya paid our bail the next morning in time for us to see the race Telemnar was in. Luckily, Liadan managed to get there in time to heal Aratan of the poisons still in his system from the night prior. I found out from Telemnar that the Millrights actually shot at Aratan with a crossbow. I held my temper in check and wished him good speed in the race today. I want to see the looks on their faces when Telemnar wins.

Nekaya offered to heal up some of my injuries, which was good, as I'm sure I had a couple of broken ribs in there somewhere. I paid her back the bail money for both Liadan and myself. It was worth every coin. As you've told me before, grandfather: "Satisfaction cannot be measured with pieces of gold". And I was VERY satisfied. I made sure she healed the ribs but left my face with its bruises and bloodied lip as is. It was very nice to see the reactions of the Millrights at the race avoid me when I came strolling by.

I should've gotten more healing, but I was too busy being smug to think that there might be a confrontation with Furnael involved at some point. We discussed before the race that we think Furnael hired someone to impersonate him, and now he's been trying to get rid of "loose ends" by summoning random creatures into the middle of the city.

A master wizard by the name of Geeghin Waas from Halruua spoke to us and was curious about our condemnation of Elder Furnael. He actually seemed like he wanted to help, and asked to talk to us later, after the races sometime.

Telemnar won the race! He won! I'm so proud of my friend right now, my heart is swelling with pride.

Unfortunately, my eyes are as keen as always, and there was a nondescript man in the crowd with a knife that has smoke coming off of it ever so lightly. It looks exactly like the same dagger we found off of the man in the city yesterday during the sudden Triceratops attack. He looks bent on committing some sort of treachery, and whilst I believe it to be towards Furnael, and I want Furnael brought to justice, I don't believe this lone person will be able to do it. I moved towards him through the crowd, in the hopes of talking to him and convincing him to join with us, as I'm sure he's the witness we need to Furnael's
doings.

I didn't get there fast enough, as he let fly with the dagger, which stopped short of Furnael, just as Tyrion Sinistral -presenting the trophy to Telemnar- shouted "assassin!". I'm trying to be heard by Tyrion, as I shout that he's a witness, when Furnael utters something arcane and a golden-furred huge bear springs into existence, looking like it's going after the would-be assassin.

Now I don't know what to do: save the would-be assassin, go after Furnael, or try to convince Tyrion in the middle of all of this to side with us?

Journal entry 03/24/06

Dear Grandfather,

Well, it turns out I didn't have much choice after all. The Celestial bear was going after the would-be assassin. I couldn't let it kill him, as he could be the key witness for us to bring Furnael to justice.

As much as I loathe the idea, I would have to harm this beautiful creature who had been summoned here against its will. I've had discussions with Sandrue and most recently Phaele on the nature of magic, to gain a better understanding of it. I've learned that summoned creatures such as this do not die, but simply go back to the place they were summoned from, no worse for wear. Still, I would have to cause pain to this stunning example of nature. For a brief moment, I wondered what type of bear it might have been before becoming celestial. Brown? Black? Chondathan?

But I had no time for such musings as I had to set upon it to save an assassin. I suspect Vergadain is having a laugh at my expense.

Although I was terribly angry at Furnael for what I had to do, and for the destruction of Camber, I did not let my anger overtake me as I wanted to strike hard and true, hoping to dispatch the bear with all due haste and with as little pain to it as possible.

Which I did.* However, it was not enough, as I staggered it greatly but did not dispatch it with what I consider to be the surest strike I have ever made. I should have known such a great beast would not fall so easily. The bear managed to strike the assassin down, but I could see he was still breathing. I struck the bear another blow just as I felt the effects of Erim's spell of quickness overcome me. The bear fell to the ground on top of the assassin, its dead weight pinning the assassin underneath.

Now I could feel the anger threatening to boil over my senses, and knew that I had to do something to keep Furnael from killing the assassin and ruining one of our best chances to bring the Halruuan to justice. I bellowed at the top of my lungs that he murdered the town of Camber and let myself be cloaked in my rage like a warm blanket on a cold night. I knew this would get his attention, even if only briefly. I just wanted his attention fixed on me, giving my companions a chance to save the assassin.

It worked spendidly. Probably too well. Furnael's countryman, the wizard Geeghin Waas, threw some sort of lighting spell at me, but it was countered by another, presumably from Phaele. Too bad she's leaving us. More on that later, Pepa. However, Furnael did cast some huge, blue-energy hand as high as an ogre that pushed me back a ways, catching me by surprise. I struck the magical hand a couple of resounding blows, yet it still interposed between myself and Furnael. During this time, Nekaya stood over the fallen assassin and took a spell that was meant for him, and Sir Tyrion ordered us all to stand down, with an imposing voice that caused me nearly to falter in my rage-infused plan. This time the hand made no progress as I pushed back against it, then struck it a few more times as it shattered into magical energy.

Liadan managed at this time to physically grab Furnael and hold him still. I bet that shocked the pompous wizard!

At this time, there was a surprising arrival of four more people, all dressed in that horrificly overdone fashion of the elders of Halruua. As soon as they arrived, Furnael disappeared right out of Liadan's grasp. As you've said before "It's really hard to keep a powerful wizard in one place." With that, the other four elders and Geeghin Waas disappeared. As we were wondering what would happen, Tyrion said that as far as he and Tyr were concerned, that was an admission of guilt. He then stepped towards the assassin and revealed him to be a doppelganger! That made my skin crawl, I have to tell you. He confessed to everything and will be put to death for the murders he's committed.

Not long after leaving, the wizard Geeghin Waas and one of the elders returned to say that they had captured Furnael and had him imprisoned. I could feel my whole body relax at the thought of the murderer of Camber being brought to justice. Even Sir Tyrion accepted their declaration and seemed satisfied. As a token of their appreciation, Geeghin Waas and the elder offered us a small bag with 6 ioun stones inside, one from each of the elders/wizards that had been present earlier. In addition, we received a box filled with platinum pieces, roughly 1000 for each of us. I declined a stone, as I am still keenly aware of Abatthor's influence on such things, and am reticent to put myself in such a position again. My share of the money I have put on account with the supplier I previously dealt with in sending supplies to Camber. I'll be sending a letter shortly to Serrah to let her know of the account and inform her that it is for the rebuilding of Camber when they should need it.

It is with great sadness that I say goodbye to Phaele, master sorceress. She has come quite a ways from the time that we first met, and I couldn't be happier to call her friend. The elder has given her some information regarding her family, who have fallen ill. Mayhaps she will meet up with us later, although I hope she manages to give Halruua reason to not so easily dismiss the abilities of sorcerors. I could tell that Master Wizard Geeghin Waas was duly impressed with her ability to counter his spells earlier. I know some of hers and Sandrue's mannerisms and attitudes have helped shape me. Hopefully we from the uncultured north have opened her up to new possibilities, also.

Pepa, one of my goals here in Ankhapur was to get an item of such an enchantment as to give me the need for less rest, so that I may guard my companions more. Am I still under Abatthor's influence by claiming it is for the good of my companions? Or is the All-father Moradin and Gorm Gulthyn telling me to do what is right?

I must pray on this.

* = first attack of the battle Rock scored a natural 20 and confirmed the critical for an even 100 points of damage.

(Devo - sorry for the miscalculation on damage.)

Letter to Serrah

Dear Serrah Puffelweiss,

It is with great joy that I announce that the man who brought ruin upon the town of Camber
has been apprehended and will be brought to justice.

Formerly known as Elder Aethrid Furnael of Halruua, he has been captured by the elders of Halruua and with the help and testimony of Tyrion Sinistral, right hand of Tyr, been deemed guilty of the destruction of Camber and its citizens.

Goodman Furnael has been stripped of his powers and enfeebled as his judgment awaits him
by the good people of Halruua.

As a token of their appreciation for the assistance in bringing his involvement to light, Halruua has offered each of my companions a sum of 1000 pieces of platinum. I have put my share into an account with the same merchant whom I arranged the previous supplies sent to you.

Camber has an account of 10,000 pieces of gold with which to help rebuild.

Until we meet again,
Baran Amiladak
Outwarden of Camber

Journal entry 4/7/06

Dearest Grandfather,

Before leaving Ankhapur, I reached my decision and gave a local wizard the ring I had made to enchant. A simple silver ring, it has the following symbols upon it: crossed swords, lightning bolt, Lathander's symbol, a chess piece, and a hakra.

I have asked him to place a Sustenance enchantment upon it, so I will need to rest less than normal and remain awake longer, to better protect my friends. The wizard explained that I would need to wear it for one week before the magic would activate. This seemed odd, but Phaele trusted him, so must I.

I also purchased some potions; one to make me stronger, one to protect me from arrows, and one to remove poison. As fate would have it, as we were making ready to leave Ankhapur, Liadan bestowed upon me a bandolier for holding potions, which was exquisitely made. I felt at once odd about accepting the gift, seeing the problems that came beforehand, but the way in which it was presented left me no doubt as to the nature
of the gift.

To think I once thought she could be a demon…more the fool I.

We had a farewell dinner with Nikos before leaving, and I wish I had gotten to know him better. I never truly befriended him, and for that I am sorry. But it gladdens me to see the new purpose he has found in life. I hope to see him again.

We embarked upon a ship to travel the coast of the Lake of Steam until such point as we reached Yhep, where we would travel straight across to Derlusk. My truest friend Telemnar has been quiet much of the trip, letting me do most of the talking. I confided in him about the ring and my feelings, and we discussed the outcome of the affair with Furnael. It's good we can talk, as I think we were both feeling a bit low at the departure of our friends. I did manage to make him laugh a bit whilst trying out a new technique of sending messages. During our ship ride, I would coax small birds to me, and tie a small message to them and tell them to take them to the other end of the ship to Telemnar. I think this lightened his spirits some.

The goblin, Pakkin, has been playing with his new mount, a riding wolf he named Sacred. Odd little creature. I think Nekaya is having a very good influence on him.

After debarking in Derlusk, we rode south and saw ourselves amongst Wemic territory. Strangely beautiful creatures, wemics. Very tribal and nomadic, it would seem.

I have reached the point where I do not feel the need for as much rest as normal. I went to sleep before dark tonight, so that I may stay awake the entire night, keeping guard. It's odd, during the second night of this, it definitely feels different. So much time awake. I'm not used to it. It's interesting to watch both Erim and Telemnar during their meditation. I have a lot of time to think, I've noticed. It's a very good time for reflection, all alone in the dark with my thoughts.

The next day we came upon a column of smoke on the plains. As we made our way towards it, we saw a ring of large wagons, sitting in a circle with large lizard-like creatures to pull them. A small company of heavily-accented brethren were being assailed by what can only be described as chaos unleashed.

Creatures with eyes that suddenly appeared and disappeared, tentacles, gibbering mouths, and pustules of mucus were hopping, slithering, flying, flopping or walking around, attacking these well-armed dwarves. There was one such gigantic thing that simply oozed across the ground, inexorably making its way towards the wagons.

We set upon the hideous creatures, and the incessant babbling was near unto driving me mad, as I drank the potion of strength and laid into these abominations with a fervor. I could feel Lathander's blessings upon me as Liadan called upon her patron on our behalf. These other dwarves looked nigh upon exhaustion as they fought, and one even told us to leave, that they didn't need our help. The look in some of their eyes made me think different.

During this time, Nekaya and Pakkin were getting fairly hurt nearby, whilst Nekaya's faithful mount Pekuah was being grabbed by one of the biggest creatures there. Hoping to raise some morale, maybe spur these southern brethren into action, I called loudly upon Clangeddin and Haela to aid us and let my anger infuse me with even more strength. Pekuah meanwhile had gone limp in the creature's embrace, and I had to decide between aiding Nekaya and Pakkin, or saving Pekuah. I saw Liadan aid Pekuah by bringing her back
to consciousness, but she was still too weak to escape the creature's embrace. I raced over there and leapt at the creature, swinging as hard as I could, hoping to break the creature's embrace and make it face me while ignoring the magnificent Pekuah. I simply couldn't allow another celestial creature suffer after what I had to do to that bear last week in Ankhapur.

I struck it hard and true, and the added power of my rage and the magical liquid coursing through my body crushed the creature, freeing the paladin's steed.*

After finishing off a couple more of the creatures, one of the dwarves said "don't get too comfortable" as it looked back towards the monstrous thing sliding across the grassland. I made my way towards it, and watched in disgust as a pustule opened up on it, and one of those horrid little abominations fell to the ground, scrabbled to its feet and rush towards me…

Some things just should not exist.

*Rock got lucky and rolled a 20, confirmed the critical, and with 3d8 rolled 7,7,8 on the dice for 130 pts. of damage.

Zora

First Post
Journal entry 5/12/06

Dear Grandfather,

I wish I could block out some of the events of the past few days.

After defeating some of the lesser creatures of chaos, I went towards the huge amorphous
blob heading towards the circle of wagons. Still letting my anger fuel my strength, I attempted
to strike it a mighty blow when it engulfed me and swallowed me whole. I suddenly found my hammer to be useless as I was surrounded on all sides by the insides of this hideous monstrosity.

I pulled out one of my throwing axes and started to hack as fast as I could before it's stomach
crushed me or it's stomach acid ate away at me. At one point inside in the creature, I felt the
comforting feeling of Lathander's blessing upon me. Shortly thereafter the creature went still and
my friends cut their way through to me. I was badly hurt, but still alive.

The leader of the brethren, a warpriest of Dumathoin named Rogar Deepspike told us not to enjoy our victory, for we could see in the distance that more were approaching. This was the third such monstrosity they'd faced in the last few days. He believes they're attracted to the starmetal they hold in their wagons. They couldn't get their mounts to move, as the strange chanting we had been hearing all along was causing them to not move, and the dwarves were adamant about protecting their life's works.

We offered to help by finding the source of the creatures and possibly eliminating it; and went off
following the slime trails that these creatures left on their way towards the dwarves' camp.

We approached and saw a small hill with several figures surrounding an altar chanting and creating the chaotic liturgy we'd been hearing. There was a rift in the sky of blackness where the chaos seemed centered. Pakkin offered us each a vial that enlarged us, the better to get past the black tentacles that emerged from the hill after coming down from the sky. I decided for my sanity's sake to let my rage take over, so that I might not remember as clearly some of the things I might see.

We struggled our way to the top, while Telemnar was made ghostlike and floated directly past the
wards and tentacles towards the priests.

The rest is a bit of blur, almost like I wasn't there.

I simply focused on striking anything that looked like one of the priests or their allies as hard as I could. I vaguely remember some blackness that stung and prickled me, but can't tell you what it was.

After a while, the last of the priests fell to a ray of light from Liadan, when suddenly the priests were pulled into the rift by the large tentacles. A single figure emerged from the rift, claiming his master would return, when a single tentacle pierced his head and the rift vanished. As the man slumped to the ground drooling, a cacophonous blast engulfed the hill and I was no longer in control of myself.

That's where the nightmare truly began for me.

I had the incredible urge to flee and did so as fast as I could. I did not want to, but my mind was so addled, it's like I was merely a passenger in my own body. Telemnar chased after me to see what was wrong, and that's when I suddenly turned and struck him as hard as I could! I could barely hear what my companions were saying, as I was filled with my rage and this odd feeling of disconnection. I tried to stop myself, but I had no control. Telemnar drew weapons and attacked in return. I completely understand why he would do this. He needed to protect himself.

I just wish it wasn't my best friend who felt the need to protect himself from me.

But as we stood there, I could see he wasn't quite himself either. That's when I struck what I thought was a killing blow to my best friend. After striking him down, I suddenly felt the urge to rush towards the evil altar and destroy it. I was just glad to be moving away from my friends. Sadly, that did not last. The valiant Nekaya attempted to tackle me to keep me from doing further harm to anyone. I screamed as loud as I could for her to stop, but nothing came out except a snarl as I sidestepped and hit her in the stomach.*
I try to smash Pakkin's small frame, but he was too quick for me and remained unscathed. She attempts again and succeeds in grabbing me, but I break free and strike her again, causing her considerable pain. She and Pakkin both readied themselves to try again as I desperately tried to tell them to stay away!

The fog lifted from my brain, and I realized I was tensed to strike at them again. I dropped my hammer just as they both tackled me to the ground. I managed to convince them I was myself once again. While reluctant, they believed me and let me go.

I went to my dear friend and apologized, but he simply waved it off as if nothing I did could ever upset him. I couldn't ask for a truer friend. Which is why my heart hurts about what I've done.

We then debated the fate of the mindless chaos servant still left on the hilltop. Nekaya and I were in agreement that he should be killed, but Liadan -bless her soul- wanted to give him a new beginning, as is her wont. She came to realize that Lathander himself would not tolerate the things this man has done in the name of an evil god. Nekaya dispatched him and we headed back to the dwarves, but not before we found some abominable spellbooks that tried to resist the bonfire we created for the bodies. We also found some starmetal, Pepa!

I finally have a chance to work with something as rare as starmetal. When we got to the dwarves, they offered to purchase the starmetal from us, of which I parted with most so my companions could share some coin.

We told Rogar to let his men sleep and my companions and I would guard them during their much-needed rest. I promised their safety upon my position as an Outwarden. He asked me to swear upon the name of my father, which I refused. I swore upon your name, Pepa. It seemed appropriate and felt right.

The next morning they awoke refreshed and with some healing from my companions, were hale and hardy and ready to go. They were traveling to a coastal city to trade/sell their goods, of which there are MANY fine and wondrous weapons, armors, and other items of fantastic craftsmanship. They thanked us for our help and offered each of us a gift.

Rogar proclaimed that I was one of the hardiest warriors they've ever met and that they had nothing that could improve upon my ability. Honestly, I was so moved that my own people thought so highly of me that I was struck almost speechless! They bestowed upon me a ring that would protect me from the effects of anything acidic, such as being swallowed again. I was so honored that even though I translated the ceremony for my friends, I cannot recall clearly what they each received.

Afterwards, I purchased two masterfully crafted throwing axes and gave to Rogar that silver mug we'd found those many months ago that I've been restoring and adding to in my spare time. He seemed appreciative of the gift and we soon got to talking about crafting. I showed him the hammer you made me and told him the story of how Olsom managed to bring out the magic inside of it. It was good to talk to some of the People without getting those looks because of my past. I commissioned a suit of mithral plate mail from them and hope to pick it up at the coastal town once we finish the delivery of the package to Kal Brimstone.

We traveled for 2 days towards Brimstone Keep. During this time, I found myself a little anxious about all the time spent awake. I started really reading those books I bought in Ankhapur, hoping to learn more about Serrah's people and their customs. It's quite interesting reading, but I make sure to only do it when someone else is on watch, and my full attention is not necessary. I've found this to be an effective way of avoiding the perils of being on watch for too long. Keeping my mind sharp while honing my senses. This way I can keep watch all night. I've noticed that Nekaya herself is doing something similar. I believe she might have something similar to my ring.
She herself is a guardian of her people. I'm coming to find more in common with this young lady. Yes, I know I've said before that she's brash and acts before she thinks sometimes, but she has a good heart and means well.

After a couple of days, we have become surrounded by a dense fog and finally stumbled across the town of Banin. The town doesn't look kindly on strangers, as windows everywhere were closing and people were deliberately not talking to us. We came to an inn and met the same sort that's found in every inn: the loudmouthed town guard.

The Innkeeper looked nervous like he wanted us to leave, but I only had eyes for the 6 well-armored men sitting at one of the booths. As usual with these types, they have more swagger than sense and were practically looking for a fight. I told the leader that there was no need for this, but that we wouldn't shy away from it. He told us to put our weapons behind the bar and accompany him, to which we all refused. It was obvious what was going to happen. I'd been in enough of these situations before to know that no amount of sweet-talking would avoid a scuffle.

I told him in no uncertain terms that if he kept this going the way it seemed to be going, it would end bad for him. His men flanked him in a style much akin to our kin with shields dancing about to aid those nearby, although they used short weapons as opposed to the mighty cleaving and crushing ones we do. I told him there was only one way he was getting my grandfather's hammer, and he wouldn't like it. He ordered his men to get us and I swiftly dispatched him and one of his companions.**

It well and truly began then as his men were well trained, but without their leader, they had a harder time working together and Erim cast something that slowed some of them down. Shortly thereafter, the rest of them fell and I managed to knock the last one unconscious. I was holding back and still they were dropping to the floor, dead.

I took his hand axe as a trophy.

It turns out that their armor was disguised to not show the Zhentarim symbols on them. And Brimstone Keep is now under the rule of warlord Tellesk. We believe Kal Brimstone might be a captive inside.

This will make it harder to deliver the package, that's for sure.

* This was a natural 20, which I'm very glad I didn't confirm with or she'd have been dead.
** The first round of combat my 3 attacks were natural 20, 20, 1. Killed the leader outright and one of his men.

PLAYER'S NOTE: This was a fantastic session that had me worried about my companions and some great roleplaying. The fight in the bar went perfect! It happened like this:

(guard)"<sneering>Put your weapons behind the bar, and we'll have a quick conversation."
(Rock)"The only way you're touching my grandfather's hammer is when I ply it across your head."
(guard)"Get them."
Initiative roll of 19 for a 22, and Rock is first in initiative order. 5-foot step...
(Rock)"You want my grandfather's hammer, here it is!"
Natural 20, and 74 points of damage later, he's down from one shot.

Woohoo!

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Fiery Friends

Devo did a great job of padding this session to fill in time until we can storm the castle. He didn't want to proceed to the castle this session because Hedrin was absent. ;)

Night was falling over the tiny hamlet of Banin as we made our departure from the Seven Song Cup. It seemed our plans for a night spent under shelter and a hot meal had gone awry. We briefly considered taking shelter in the burnt husk of a former mercantile establishment, but the structure proved to be too badly damaged to provide sufficient cover. We were obliged to seek a secluded spot for our camp some distance from the village, and the hour had grown late enough by that point that we must pause in our search while Nekaya performed the 'girding' ritual required of her by her devotion to Elishar. At last Rock located a copse of trees in which we could hide ourselves.

Fortunately the self-described warlord sent no soldiers to pursue us that night, or our hiding place was sufficiently well chosen that they did not discover us. As dawn neared, I detected the sounds of some small creature approaching our campsite. Though I realized it was likely a wild animal, I alerted Rock. Then a small grey fox entered our camp and strode purposefully up to Erim.

This creature proved to have a note pinned to its fur. When Erim removed the note the fox scampered away. Erim read the note with perplexity, then passed it to the rest of our company. It stated: "I would like to speak to you. I come as a friend. Foxfire."

We had no inkling of who Foxfire might be, but decided to risk waiting for this person to arrive, presuming by the phrasing of the note that Foxfire meant to come to us. Only a few heartbeats later a woman with faintly elvish features appeared from the morning mist. She wore rugged attire and carried no weapons of metal on her person, as I have been told is the custom among some druids. She readily introduced herself as Jayda Foxfire.

Nekaya took the lead to question the woman, as her gods grant her the ability to determine evil intent. Jayda Foxfire first asked us if we had any ill will toward Kal Brimstone, to which Nekaya, ever truthful, responded that we sought only to deliver a package to him, though I do not recall that she stated from whom the package came.

Jayda Foxfire appeared relieved by this news. She explained to us that she had once belonged to an adventuring company by the name of the Dragonfire Guild, of which Kal Brimstone had been leader. They had come to the Border Kingdoms to remove the keep's previous resident and afterward had decided to take control of the keep themselves. Recently the Guild members had had a falling-out, but all of them remained in the area and wished to find a way to release Kal Brimstone from his captivity. Jayda Foxfire confirmed that he was indeed a prisoner in the keep, for she could summon small animals to spy for her.

When Jayda Foxfire asked us if we would aid her in freeing Kal Brimstone, all of our company readily agreed save perhaps Erim, who is always somewhat unwilling to risk his safety. Jayda then indicated that she might summon the other members of the Dragonfire Guild to free Kal Brimstone while we attacked the self-styled warlord Darik Tellusk. This seemed a favorable course of action to me. As Jayda related to us, Tellusk has oppressed the local folk and forced all merchants to remove their merchandise to his keep. I cannot abide a tyrant, and if he is indeed of the Zhentarim then it is all the more worthwhile to thwart his schemes.

Jayda further gained our trust by drawing a detailed map of the keep's interior and revealing to us that at some past occasion the Dragonfire Guild had dealings with the Grey Wizard - better known to my companions and I as Havin Wayfinder.

Disappointingly, she could not bring her companions to join us at once. We soon met her closest companion, Blaze Pathfinder, a half-orc of rough exterior and few words. But the other two members of the Guild, a gnome mage called Singe and a halfling woman known as Mira the Brand, had chosen to reside some distance away from the keep in opposite directions from one another. We had no means of immediately contacting them.

Jayda suggested to us that while she sought out Mira, our group could go to Singe and seek his aid. She warned us that he was a fire mage of some skill, and also that he was rather fond of strong drink. To persuade him that we meant him no harm, she gave us a note for him and Blaze sent along a dagger bearing the emblem of the Dragonfire Guild.

Our journey to the south to find Singe must be completed quickly, for Jayda had suggested that it would be well to infiltrate the keep at dusk. Tellusk had in his service a priestess of the foul god Bane, who was evidently reliant upon the magic of foretelling to gain information. Jayda hoped that if we struck during the time when this priestess was at her prayers, she might not yet know much of our strengths.

As we made our way toward the cave where Singe made his home, Rock noted tracks of interest upon the route we followed. Some of these tracks appeared to be those of a large being of man-like shape, but larger than any ordinary man yet not as large as an ogre or giant. A second set of tracks belonged to someone the size of a man or elf, and a third to one smaller still. Occasionally he observed a fourth set of tracks, but these appeared only intermittently.

After a time he came upon a spot where some scuffle or struggle appeared to have occurred, and a small stain of blood marred the earth. As he paused to examine this, we all dismounted and looked about curiously. Suddenly two large beasts sprang out of the tall grass and launched themselves at us, roaring with fury!

The two beasts resembled lions but were covered in scaly hide and equipped with wings like those of a dragon. When they roared I felt more than merely a blast of sound. They seemed to focus their attacks on Rock, who had been standing over the bloodstain, though they did not fail to strike at the rest of our company who were in range of their swiping paws. I drew my blades and slashed the nearest creature while Erim moved to my side.

Somehow Erim recognized that amid the beast's roars were spoken words in the ancient tongue of the dragons. He understands this tongue, though it was difficult for him to make out the words of the lion-creatures. They seemed to believe we had been responsible for the death of their child. Erim began trying to make them understand that we had not seen such a child, while he called on the rest of our company to cease our attacks and step away from the creatures.

One of the beasts heeded Erim's words and no longer attacked us. But the second beast, apparently the female of the pair, continued to direct her ire at Rock. Rock backed away and used his hammer only to defend himself. Liadan even called upon Lathander's grace to extend healing to the beasts as well as to those of us who had been wounded by them.

This demonstration of goodwill did not seem to impress the angry female, but her mate was able to persuade her to desist. After assuring themselves that we had none of their offspring's blood upon us, the two creatures flew off in pursuit of those responsible for the tracks we had been examining. But before our hostilities had ceased one of them roared again, and this time I felt such a wave of weariness as I have never experienced before.

Liadan has the ability to relieve such exhaustion through Lathander's mercy, but it was decided to wait to see if we might find time to rest before our assault on the keep, so that her spell would be more efficacious. In the meanwhile I found myself barely able to climb back into the saddle when we continued our search for the gnome.

Jayda's directions proved accurate and we soon located the cave we sought. It was quite obvious that the gnome was in residence when we arrived: we heard singing of the variety that is only produced by the intoxicated. Concerned that he might react aggressively to strangers in this state, we waited outside while Nekaya entered the cave alone and unarmed to allay his suspicion.

A few moments later a ball of fire shot out of the cave entrance. But Nekaya gave no indication that she had been injured and we remained outside. Soon she reappeared, unharmed, with a red-haired gnome staggering behind her. When he saw our group he attempted to burn us with another spell, but in his drunken state chose an incantation that did not have sufficient range to reach us from his position. Nekaya showed him the tokens we had been provided with, which calmed his fears. He agreed to accompany us to the chosen meeting place - but only if he could bring along barrels of ale! This request we reluctantly agreed to, if only to make it easier to persuade him to come with us.

When we came once more to the spot where we had encountered the lion-beasts, we found the pair waiting for us. They explained to Erim that they had found the "child-killers" and that they had brought gifts to us to apologize for attacking us earlier. One of the beasts batted some rounded object with its paw and the severed head of one of the Tel'Quessir rolled toward us!

As soon as they had delivered their 'gifts' the beasts flew off. We were left with the severed head, which wore a silver circlet that Liadan identified as magical in nature, and a heap of cloth and broken twigs and straw. The cloth was determined to have been a small magical carpet that was capable of flight, though it was uncertain if it could still be so used in its present torn and bloodied state. The twigs and straw had evidently been a broom. Nekaya put the soiled carpet in her saddlebags so that the smell would not disturb our mounts. We buried the elf's head, keeping the silver circlet so that Erim might later learn its purpose.

Jayda and her other friends met us at the designated spot. At dusk we will enter the keep, having Erim cast upon Pakkin the same spell he used upon me when we attacked the sinister altar a few days ago. Pakkin will become insubstantial and pass through the walls, then open a small gate to allow us admittance. Jayda has revealed that Tellusk has only perhaps thirty men in his service, not enough to provide sufficient protection to hold the keep. Once we are inside, the Dragonfire Guild will go to free Kal Brimstone while we hunt down Tellusk. With Corellon's blessing we will be able to destroy him before his men or his pet wizards and priestess can come to his aid.

I hope that Liadan will be able to relieve me of this weariness before that time, else I shall not be in my best form for this battle. Corellon lend me strength!

Quips & Quotes for this session:

Erim: "The first rule of Fight Club..."
Jubilee: "...is don't mention Brimstone Keep."

Devo: "You have from dawn to dusk."
Erim: "That sounds ominous."
sniffles: "And nobody has a crotch gun!"
Erim: "You don't know enough about Erim!"

Devo: "Judging by the tracks, the giant you're following is about 10 feet tall."
Jubilee: "Not so much a giant as a basketball player."

Last edited:

Hedrin

First Post
sniffles said:
Devo did a great job of padding this session to fill in time until we can storm the castle. He didn't want to proceed to the castle this session because Hedrin was absent. ;)

Sorry guys and gals, I were very sick.

Hedrin

Zora

First Post
Journal entry 5/19/06

Dearest Grandfather,

After the tussle at the inn, we decided to make our way to the outskirts of town to find a place to rest amidst all of this fog. Finding a copse of trees, we made our way there and camped for the night, making sure to keep a close eye out for the warlord's men who might be looking for us.

In the morn, several of my companions noticed a small animal approach the camp. It was a
small fox, with a pin attached to its fur. It walked purposefully into camp, whereupon Erim
removed and read the note. It said "I would like to speak to you. I come as a friend. Foxfire."

We decided to wait to see who this mysterious Foxfire might be, when a half-elven woman
approached the camp, outfitted and armed in much the way of the Sylvanus druids I met a while back. She told us that she and a few friends were in an adventuring group called the Dragonfire Guild, of which Kal Brimstone was the leader.

Jayda Foxfire and her friends had a falling out with Kal, which led to them going mostly their own ways. During this time, the warlord Tellesk came in and overthrew Kal Brimstone, re-naming Brimstone Keep to Blackhope Keep. She's been hoping for a chance to go in and rescue Kal, as he's been kept prisoner since the takeover. We readily agreed to help them. She said it would be best to attempt the breakout at dusk, when the Keep's priestess -to Bane- would be praying to her evil god with her foul liturgies.

We were asked to go south quickly to recover their teammate Singe, a fire sorceror while she and Blaze Pathfinder -a half-orc wilderness warrior not unlike myself- would go north to locate Mirra the Brand, a halfling break-in specialist.

Upon travelling south, I came upon some odd tracks; one set almost giant-sized, another of elven size, with a smaller 3rd set and one other set that only showed up intermittently. I found this both odd and intriguing as they were travelling the same direction we were. Eventually we came upon a spot where there were signs of a scuffle involving the group I had been keeping an eye out for and something unfamiliar. As I studied a blood-soaked spot upon the ground, there was a mighty roar and two amazing creatures leapt from their hiding spots and charged us! They resembled lions with golden dragonscales on their hides. I had no idea what they were until Erim told us later that they were Dragonnes.

They were enraged as they attacked us. Erim managed to discern intelligible speech coming from one that seemed to be the male, as the female furiously bore down upon me, intent on rending me limb from limb. As it turns out, they were following the trails of some creatures who had killed their offspring. They thought that it was us. Upon learning this, I stopped all attempts at trying to kill them and focused solely on keeping myself from harm, which was not as easy as I would have liked.

We eventually managed to convince them that we were not the ones they were looking for. They left in a hurry, and after bandaging some wounds, so did we.

We continued with the directions Jayda had given us, when we came upon a cave with the sounds of a drunken gnome's singing coming from it. Thinking we found the right place, Nekaya went into the cave alone and unarmed to talk to Singe. Worried after we saw a fireball fly out of the cave, we hesitantly waited until she finally emerged with the gnome, who was indeed drunk.

On our way back to meet with the rest of the Dragonfire Guild, we came upon the previous spot where we had engaged the Dragonnes. They were waiting for us. They had found the killers they were looking for and disposed of them. In the way of an apology, they gave to us some things the killers had used against them; a circlet on the head of an elf, a completely destroyed broom and a tattered rug, which had been used for flying. They departed quickly again to go lick their wounds. Magnificent creatures.

We met up with the rest of the Dragonfire Guild, where we met Mirra. Now come the discussions and debates about how to storm a castle with 30 armed men, a warlord, a priestess of Bane, and two wizards…all the while hoping to dethrone a despot and tyrant while accomplishing our main task: rescuing Kal Brimstone!

All so we can deliver a package.

sniffles

First Post
Assault on Brimstone Keep

I was so weary that I misunderstood the plan my friends had made to assault the keep. I rested while they discussed this stratagem with the Dragonfire Guild. Later Rock brewed a restorative tea for me and I recovered my strength. Once I was myself again I learned that it was not Pakkin who would enter the keep first but Erim himself. He intended to disguise himself with spells and slip into the southeast tower through the small doorway Jayda Foxfire had indicated to us. Whilst I had rested my friends had acquired a ladder by which to climb up to this door.

While most of our group entered through this doorway, Rock and Pakkin would use the tattered magic carpet to fly up to the roof of the same tower, eliminate any sentries, and then to assault the gatehouse. Their purpose was to open and then disable the portcullis so that we would not become trapped within the keep. This attack would also serve to divert attention from our entry into the tower.

As dusk fell Liadan called upon Lathander to grant Rock and myself several protections in the event that we should encounter Tellusk's pet mages. Erim also provided me with a protection from flames. Nekaya then expressed concern as to the disposition of Gadron's parcel. We did not wish to leave it behind, but Nekaya was unwilling to carry it into the keep in the event that Tellusk and his cronies were awaiting it. She determined to see what it was so that we could decide more knowledgeably. Rock protested, considering it impolite to open a package intended for another, but when he saw that she would not be swayed he withdrew his objection.

The parcel was revealed to be a long wooden box containing a handsome longsword set with rubies. Runes were engraved upon the blade spelling out the name Brimstone. As it was clear this item was of personal value to Kal Brimstone, it was handed into Jayda Foxfire's keeping for delivery to her friend. Liadan made her swear that she would give it to him.

We crept up to the tower under cover of heavy fog, as Blaze had predicted. Erim made himself both invisible and intangible to enter the tower via an arrow slit. Liadan had cast a spell of silence upon a coin and placed it in the magic stasis box we had acquired in Arrabar, opening the box once Erim had vanished. Nekaya remained beyond the area of the spell's effect so that she could hear if Rock's entry caused any alarm. After a few moments she alerted us that she had heard some noise from the roof of the tower.

Mirra, the halfling woman, then opened the door. Liadan had shut the box so we could speak, and a strident alarm rang out, quickly silenced when Liadan reopened the box and clamped the coin between her teeth. Nekaya clambered up the ladder into the tower. I leaped after her, followed by Liadan. Within the tower we knew that there were barracks, and we found two men-at-arms present in full armor. I dispatched one of them while Nekaya took on the other. We then rushed up the nearest flight of stairs, with Erim following us now solid and visible.

Liadan had taken the lead on the stairs and Nekaya is swifter than I, thus I found myself following the ladies. As Erim and I passed a connecting corridor, we caught sight of another guardsman. I lunged for him and struck him down. I then hurried on to the gatehouse chamber. There I saw Rock flanked by two more guardsmen, his movements sluggish and his beard matted with blood.

Nekaya had badly wounded one of the armsmen, who attempted to escape by dropping down an access ladder. She rushed down the stair in pursuit of him.
I stepped forward to meet the second man and swiftly sent him to whatever afterlife awaits worshippers of Bane. Liadan in the meanwhile had drawn a scroll from her pouch and chanted a healing prayer over Rock. Praise Corellon that she had the foresight to purchase such a treasure in Ankhapur.

Pakkin had been valiantly struggling with one of the mages at the opposite end of the chamber, and had slain the wizard, though he had taken considerable hurt himself. Liadan offered him Lathander's grace, and he then took Rock's magical rod and used it to block the portcullis mechanism so the gate could not be closed.

Nekaya returned moments later and we proceeded toward the chapel where we expected to find the priestess at her prayers. As we approached I heard the sound of armored bodies moving about and warned my companions. The chapel entry stood at an angle to the corridor from the gatehouse, and Jayda Foxfire had explained to us that one side of the inner wall was open there so that the lord of the keep could stand before the chapel door and address his subjects in the courtyard below. We would have to take care, for the space between the door and the opening was less than my height, and there was no railing to prevent a fall. I gave praise to Corellon once more that the fog would make it difficult for anyone in the courtyard to attack us with bows.

We found three men awaiting us, for since the alarm had been raised by Rock's entry from the tower roof we had heard men pounding metal bars to alert the keep. The guardsmen fired upon us with crossbows, but Rock rushed one of them and I surged past to meet the second. In a few heartbeats all three had fallen, despite their skill with heavy armor and shields. Rock had used the adamantine axe the dwarves had presented to him to smash one man's shield to splinters. The third guard had pounded on the chapel door and begged to be admitted before my blades pierced his armor.

Through the heavy wooden doors we could hear the sound of a woman's voice chanting, though Erim told us that it was not a magical chant. Rock lifted his indestructible axe and began to hew the doors.

Quips & Quotes:
Erim: "If you make a high enough Track roll you can tell if there's going to be a fight here. The DC's pretty high, though."

Jubilee: "I hope you're going a little faster than a walk."
Zora: "I might jog."

Zora: "I'm Pakkin heat!"

Erim: "Rock, you just died storming the castle! What are you going to do now?"
Zora: "I'm going to Disneyland!"

Hedrin: "Who gave a goblin experience?"

Devo: "Pakkin doesn't do anything well with his Int."
Sniffles: "Then don't do things with his Int."

Devo: "He double-checks his stat card... and falls down."

Hedrin: "He's between a Rock and an elf place."

Player's note: Rock suffered some pretty horrendously bad dice rolls this session. He rolled a 1 vs a coup-de-gras. Since Devo didn't want a PC to die as the result of a bad roll, he ruled that Rock survived but was exhausted.

(edit: I'm directionally challenged. ;) )

Last edited:

Jubilee

First Post
Actually, I don't believe that Rock rolled a 1 vs. the hold person - he simply failed the will save. What he rolled a 1 on was the save vs. "massive" damage from a coup-de-gras (whoever thought 200hp Rock would die for 16 hp?). I've suggested to Devo that he should consider employing villains that like to make subdual coup-de-gras in the future.. :)

Zora

First Post
Journal entry 6/2/06

Oh Pepa,

What am I doing? I'm coming to some sort of crossroads where I wonder if my path in life is the correct one.

After the events of today, I have to wonder if I should continue...

Before setting off to storm the Keep, Nekaya argued that we should look at the package to determine what to do with it. I couldn't believe my ears! This is a person who upholds virtue, honesty, and morality and her best reasoning for looking is that Gadron didn't tell us we couldn't. I felt we were honorbound to deliver the package regardless of what was in it since we made a promise to do so. Seeing that I was on the opposite end of yet another argument, I walked away to calm myself down before the upcoming siege.

After much deliberation, we decided upon a plan for the assault on Brimstone Keep. Myself and the goblin, Pakkin, would attempt to fly in on the tattered magic carpet to assault and take the gatehouse, whilst my friends and the DragonFire Guild would gain entrance along the side, through a side door on one of the towers. The purpose being that Pakkin and myself would hold the gatehouse, drawing their attention to us, whilst keeping the gate and porcullis' open for any escape or retreat we might need. This would allow the rest to enter fairly unobtrusively and split up; the DragonFire Guild going to facilitate Kal's rescue whilst my companions went to challenge the rulers of the Keep and keeping them busy if not getting rid of them.

As you've said many times before, "Any plan goes to frell once implemented." You couldn't have been more right. You've always told me to keep alternate ideas in mind, for just such inevitabilities.

I never could have anticipated dying.

On your deathbed, I remember you saying that "Very few are ready when their time comes. Live life the way YOU want to." I have been given serious reason to think about leaving and going back to Camber.

Everything was going smoothly, Pakkin and I riding the carpet high into the night fog, coming down directly over the opening down the stairs onto the path to the gatehouse. The carpet made it long enough to get us just over the stair opening before ripping in twain and depositing us onto the stairs. I hit the ground running, making it down fast enough to surprise the guard in the gatehouse as the alarm sounded. Unfortunately, he made me pause just long enough that the wizard behind him cast some sort of paralyzing spell upon me, giving the guard a chance to slit my throat.

Pakkin, directly behind me, managed to dump a healing drought on my neck as he ran by towards the mage. I could feel the life flowing out of me while helpless to do anything. The healing drought managed to prevent what would have been my certain doom. I owe Pakkin my life.

I'm terribly sorry Grandfather, but I'm not ready for the Great Halls just yet. As much as I would like to see you again, there's still so much I want to do.

I managed at that time to shake off the paralysis, but was terribly weakened by the loss of so much blood. The wizard then managed to sap yet more of my strength with another of his spells as Pakkin made his way towards him. What started out being a chance for Pakkin and I to work together ended up with Pakkin trying to get rid of the wizard by himself. He called for help a couple of times, but I was so weak I could not even get past the lone guard in front of me. I desperately wanted to help him but could not. I am so ashamed. I summoned up all of my anger and frustration to wash over me and help me, but it did little to alleviate it. Liadan then arrived with others after having come up the levels of the tower to the gatehouse level. She said some prayer to Lathander and all of my exhaustion and weakness went away.

Pakkin rid us of the wizard at that time, and I pulled the immovable Rod I borrowed from Liadan and told Pakkin where to go into the machineworks to make it unworkable. We then proceeded out the other side of the gatehouse towards the temple, where we will attempt to dispatch the priestess of Bane residing there. Some more guards attempted to block our progress, but the adamantine handaxe I took from that guard captain a day ago made fairly short work of one of their shields and a sword.

We can hear praying inside the temple, as I wield the handaxe to carve a way through.

Zora

First Post
Worst. Session. Ever.

Occasionally I might add SOME player's notes on the end of a journal entry, to show or accentuate the action. What happened that session was no less than abysmal.

After debating for 2 weeks via email, and even some at the session, we FINALLY came up with a plan.

Everything seemed to be going fatefully well. Rock and Pakkin flying above the keep and coming straight down towards the downward stairwell. JUST above the opening, the carpet finally rips via the percentage roll and we drop onto the stairs and head down.

Rock's movement takes him JUST up to the guard with no actions left. The wizard pops out 20 feet behind and casts Hold Person. Liadan had cast some spell with ablative saving throw bonuses, starting at +4. So I make a Will save at +4 and barely miss it. I'm held.
The guard does a coup de grace, and does 16 hp damage. Rock rolls a FORT save (his best at +18, +21 with the save bonus).

Natural 1.

Who would've thought 16 hp would kill a 200hp character? Oh, the irony.

Now, the GM and I have a similar rule in our games. If you die from HP loss, and someone can get to you that SAME round, they can prevent it with enough healing. So he feels kinda cheesy that my character's dying that way and allows for this to help me. I'm okay -yes, it would suck- if my character dies. That's part of the game. But this is our house rule, so I accept it graciously and am happy I'm not dead.

As a penalty, I'm at -6 CON, STR, and DEX. Hefty penalties, but realistic. Then the wizard
casts Ray of Enfeeblement to drop my STR by another -9 points. I'm at -15 STR and can't hurt a thing. I've tried bullrushing before and after this to go help the goblin, but can't roll anything above a 5 on the dice.

Have I mentioned my dice mojo is particularly bad tonight?

It was all sorts of bad.

Remove ads