Meta-Gaming: Definition

Yeah, to help simulate super-high intelligence, I will sometimes let player's brainstorm, give them hints, even sometimes use non-game references.

Players of low intelligence characters sometimes get diliberatly misleading information to help them simulate the impediments they face:

In one of the first games I ever ran, "Big Dummy" woke the whole party one night to help him defend against the torch-wielding army of somebodies spread out just beyond the Eastern horizon - who knows? they could have even been dragons, or fire elementally people or something, so to be on the safe side, he woke the party and alerted them to the danger, though, in fairness, the player figured out immediately what I was doing and just played along.

Occhronustinrist said:
3. I am not running a Ravenloft campaign. I am running a campaign in the Forgotten Realms with a Gothic Horror/HP Lovecraftian theme. Yet, L insists that I need to reconsider the calls I am making in the game because "In Ravenloft, the rules work this way..." "Oh, I see the DM has The Ravenloft Monster Manual, get ready guys!..." He is understandably confused even though I have told him that I am not running a ravenloft campaign.
Start bringing even more far afield books to the table: Shadowrun, Paranoia, random GURPS books, and of course, Toon. That should get him to stop looking for clues from the books you "accidentally" drop.

And when you label a room in the dungeon "reactor shielding" ....

Remove ads