RPG Crowdfunding News – The MCDM RPG, cyan starlight, Meta Domain, and more

This sampling of TTRPG crowdfunding projects feature campaigns that end between January 2 to the 10.

This sampling of TTRPG crowdfunding projects feature campaigns that end between January 2 to the 10. The MCDM RPG is hotly anticipated, but it isn’t the only interesting campaign this week. In addition, there’s a great solo RPG, a great meta 5e character class, a super-powered luchador sourcebook, adventures, an original system, and a dice bag. Considering it’s Christmas, a traditionally thin time for TTRPG crowdfunding, this week has some great content.

The MCDM RPG.png

The MCDM RPG from MCDM Productions
  • END DATE: Jan 5, 2024 at 3:01am EST.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $135 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both books
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Matthew Colville brings an original TTRPG to Backerkit and scores. Already among the list of highest funded TTRPGs overall, The MCDM RPG sit at the number 4 position on the list with a good chance to reach number 3 before the campaign ends. Among Matthew’s personal campaigns, this is the highest funded among his four to-date. What is The MCDM RPG? This is a tactical combat fantasy TTRPG. Not dungeon or exploration-focused, this is about “heroes fighting monsters and tyranny.” Every round you hit with attacks, you’re simply rolling damage. Since you’re rolling damage, you don’t use the d20, you use d6s and, occasionally, d4s and d8s. Every round you have thematic abilities you can use without worries for ability management. Mechanics for talking your way out of situations exist (as do the inverse). Coming as two books, you’ll get the 400-page Heroes, which is the rulebook, and Monsters, the bestiary that reprints a lot of Matthew Colville’s earlier monsters. Is this project for you? If you’re looking for a full fantasy TTRPG with rules for scenarios that many fantasy games overlook, this Backerkit campaign is worth a look.
cyan starlight.png

cyan starlight from Adept Icarus
  • END DATE: Wed, January 10 2024 8:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Fari RPGs' Breathless
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 + S/H for the PDF, POD discount coupon, and print versions of the book, MP3 and audio cassette, and spiral-bound journal
  • ADDITIONAL REPORTING: Check back next week for my interview with Alan Bahr and Will Munn about this project
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I like solo RPGs, but I don’t love solo RPGs. In a solo experience, the work of me being everyone in the world is, well, work. But, cyan starlight solves my quibble. In this solo RPG, you have a character, a starship, a limited dicepool, and no one else in the universe. You’re alone. Now survive. I spoke to creator Alan Bahr and publisher Will Munn about this at Gen Con 2023 and their idea stuck with me. Wake up alone, in space, and figure out what to do. Roleplay, roll, use the book to figure next steps, and, at the end, use the resulting numbers to get one of 512 endings. If you’re looking for a solo sci-fi experience with a variety of endings, read this pitch.

Meta Domain- A fourth-wall-bending cleric subclass for 5E.png

Meta Domain: A fourth-wall-bending cleric subclass for 5E from Steve Conley
  • END DATE: Thu, January 4 2024 10:15 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? You have a friend that can’t stay in-character in your 5e game, right? Someone who is constantly Deadpooling (if that isn’t a word than neither is RyanReynoldsing) or, worse, doing Al Michaels play-by-play announcements throughout the session? If so, have I got a class for your player, Keith. I mean, if they’re going to be your friend Keith “roleplaying” a cleric, then let them be Keith the Cleric. Designed as something of a Swordart Online or LitRPG meta aware class, this book provides rules for a cleric that strongly suspects that they’re in the Matrix. They carry a Prayer’s Handbook, and at level 8, they learn their player’s name. (“Keith,” which is not the name Keith expected.) Seriously, why are you not buying this for Keith? It’s $5. Isn’t it worth $5 just to know when Keith is speaking in-character or not? (Because he always is/never is speaking in-character. Because he can’t stay in-character. Good night, Keith ruins every villainous monologue I attempt!) Keith will love this class, and it’ll be the first time that you ever say, “He’s really nailing his character. It’s like Keith was born to play… Keith…?”

CRIME-FIGHTING LUCHADORES- LUCHA EXTRAVANGAZA.png
CRIME-FIGHTING LUCHADORES: LUCHA EXTRAVANGAZA from Headcheese Productions
  • END DATE: Sat, January 6 2024 2:36 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): CRIME-FIGHTING LUCHADORES
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$ 30 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both zines
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? CRIME-FIGHTING LUCHADORES is about super-powered professional wrestlers pinning evil for the three count. The system is a “love letter to El Santo, Batman '66, Ultraman, Scooby-Doo, The Venture Bros, Hellboy and The Haunted World of El Superbeasto!” This campaign offers up the first expansion for the game with two adventures, two new luchador archetypes, masks with powers, enemies, rules to unmask your opponent in-ring, and more. If the idea of luchador superheroes speaks to you, if solving the world’s problems one match at a time speaks to you, and if you fear being unmasked before the thousands in attendance and the millions watching at home, this project is waiting for you to ring the bell.

Savage Gladiators.png

Savage Gladiators from Arion Games
  • END DATE: Tue, January 2 2024 3:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £15 for the PDF version of the book and a POD discount coupon option to order the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Does your Savage Worlds campaign need a Roman arena with Roman-style gladiators? Or would you like to do a full Savage Worlds gladiators campaign? This sourcebook covers both. This has what you’d expect – character creation, specific edges and hindrances, a bestiary – but also arena combat rules. The book is written and playtested, simply awaiting art, which the campaign is meant to fund. If you’re a gladiator and Savage Worlds fan, this is worth a read.

The Dead Mines- Reforged.png

The Dead Mines: Reforged from Dragonshorn Studios
  • END DATE: Jan 4, 2024 at 3:00am EST.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, 3.5e, and Pathfinder 2e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €13 for the PDF and VTT of the adventure
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This adventure offers a mine, treasure, and something buried that yearns to be free. This four-session adventure is a standalone quest designed for 5th level characters. Really, the standout is the number of systems this project is for: 5e, 3.5e, and PF2e, that’s a lot of stats to wrangle together. If you’re looking for a 3.5e adventure (as well as the other systems), this Backerkit awaits.

Butterflies & Friends Embroidered Dice Bags.png

Butterflies & Friends Embroidered Dice Bags from Black Oak Workshop
  • END DATE: Sun, January 7 2024 7:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessories
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $27 + S/H for two dice bags and a set of dice
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Dice bags from Black Oak Workshop. These bags feature a butterfly design in a few different colors. If you’re looking for a butterfly image on your dice bag, these look amazing.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

The online tools for cyan starlight look like a lot of fun. Having randomized endings (512 of them) you can unlock makes it the first solo game I've wanted to check out.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The online tools for cyan starlight look like a lot of fun. Having randomized endings (512 of them) you can unlock makes it the first solo game I've wanted to check out.
There's a lot of randomization in Thousand Year Old Vampire. There aren't 512 endings, but there are still a good number of them, with a wide variety of fates for your vamp.

Remove ads

Remove ads