Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of North America (eastern region)

Just picked this book up today (thought I'd give it the quick D&D review treatment).

Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of North America (eastern region): $25.00 US.

Edit: (too insert Amazon.com link)Birds of North America

(Druids, Sorcerers & Wizards take note).

While designed for the American birdwatcher, this tome could easily become a Druid's best friend. This large, full color book has impressive detail on (almost) all the birds seen east of the Rocky Mountains. It includes a full color photograph for each bird as well as information about habitat, food, nest sites, flight patterns, and mating patterns. Each entry is wonderfully detailed and makes bird identification easy.

D&D uses:

The obvious choice is for a Druid's animal companion. Why settle for a hawk or crow when you could have a beautiful Swallow Tailed Kite or Black Billed magpie. While the D&D stats might end up the same, the Roleplaying possibilities expand dramatically. Also, with detailed habitat & food preference, a Druid can customize his animal companion to correspond to the terrain he hails from.

And let's not forget those capable of getting a familiar. Instead of choosing from raven or hawk, you now have over 700 entries to choose from. While it may require some thought on the DM's part, Imagine playing a marsh dwelling elf sorcerer with a striking Wood Duck Familiar or a Gnomish wizard with a striking Killdeer, or an enchantress with a Painted Bunting. This allows a player to customize his familiar to a degree previously impossible in the D&D setting while allowing him to show the DM a detailed description (and picture) of his/her preferred familiar.

And DM's aren't letf out either. Just giant-size any bird in here & you've got an entire Monster Manual worth of Giant Birds. After all doesn't Giant Stygian Owl or Giant Ferruginous Hawk sound cooler than their bland MM counterpart's. A primeval forest filled with Giant Hummingbirds, Jays, and Grackles could easily put a sense of grandeur into your descriptions.

In conclusion,

Too often are books that would make great D&D supplements overlooked because they don't have D&D or d20 stamped on them someplace. And, often, the 'non-d&d' books are cheaper to boot.

So, next time your at the bookstore looking for ideas for your game stray away from the RPG/Fantasy section & actually explore the wealth of information around you.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I don't know... this seems like a level of realism that I just wouldn't need in my game. I mean, don't most people just forget that they have familiars anyway. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "Hey Bob, what about that hawk familiar of yours? It could scout for us. Why are making the rogue do it?" "Oh yea!! I keep forgetting I have a familiar!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases