• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of North America (eastern region)

Just picked this book up today (thought I'd give it the quick D&D review treatment).

Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of North America (eastern region): $25.00 US.

Edit: (too insert Amazon.com link)Birds of North America

(Druids, Sorcerers & Wizards take note).

While designed for the American birdwatcher, this tome could easily become a Druid's best friend. This large, full color book has impressive detail on (almost) all the birds seen east of the Rocky Mountains. It includes a full color photograph for each bird as well as information about habitat, food, nest sites, flight patterns, and mating patterns. Each entry is wonderfully detailed and makes bird identification easy.

D&D uses:

The obvious choice is for a Druid's animal companion. Why settle for a hawk or crow when you could have a beautiful Swallow Tailed Kite or Black Billed magpie. While the D&D stats might end up the same, the Roleplaying possibilities expand dramatically. Also, with detailed habitat & food preference, a Druid can customize his animal companion to correspond to the terrain he hails from.

And let's not forget those capable of getting a familiar. Instead of choosing from raven or hawk, you now have over 700 entries to choose from. While it may require some thought on the DM's part, Imagine playing a marsh dwelling elf sorcerer with a striking Wood Duck Familiar or a Gnomish wizard with a striking Killdeer, or an enchantress with a Painted Bunting. This allows a player to customize his familiar to a degree previously impossible in the D&D setting while allowing him to show the DM a detailed description (and picture) of his/her preferred familiar.

And DM's aren't letf out either. Just giant-size any bird in here & you've got an entire Monster Manual worth of Giant Birds. After all doesn't Giant Stygian Owl or Giant Ferruginous Hawk sound cooler than their bland MM counterpart's. A primeval forest filled with Giant Hummingbirds, Jays, and Grackles could easily put a sense of grandeur into your descriptions.

In conclusion,

Too often are books that would make great D&D supplements overlooked because they don't have D&D or d20 stamped on them someplace. And, often, the 'non-d&d' books are cheaper to boot.

So, next time your at the bookstore looking for ideas for your game stray away from the RPG/Fantasy section & actually explore the wealth of information around you.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I don't know... this seems like a level of realism that I just wouldn't need in my game. I mean, don't most people just forget that they have familiars anyway. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "Hey Bob, what about that hawk familiar of yours? It could scout for us. Why are making the rogue do it?" "Oh yea!! I keep forgetting I have a familiar!"

Remove ads