Requesting Paladin build advice

Dexterward

First Post
Nightfall said:
Even so, what you could do IF your DM is kind of a tightwad, use the idea that Champions of Ruined used. Take Servant of the Heavens, then you can consider Raziel your "patron."

I am that tightwad DM you spoke of! :heh: I haven't looked at the Servant of Heaven yet, may be a good choice for Justin. Since this is his first mid level 3.5 character I strongly recommended to him not to water down the character with too many class choices. IME when the characters reach the higher levels dipping into too many classes weakens the over all character except for one small area. Of course, exceptions abound. But as Justin can testify, I am up to almost any character class combination as long as the class isn't outright broken and the player can come up with a good background story that's not too strained.

Dexterward

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
On the flavour side of armour. IIRC, real world medieval arabs had some pretty darn heavily armoured horsemen... They used lamellar armour - very heavy stuff that was well ventilated.

There's an argument that stuff offered as much protection as DnD plate.

This is partially true. The Byzantines army used the lamellar armor (which was an out growth of the Roman armor types) and the Arabs, Turks, etc mostly stuck to lighter armor. I do allow lamellar armor in my campaign, its not quite as heavy or protective as full plate, but is better then a half plate. The area that Justin's character is from, Unther, isn't up to snuff on their armor making techniques. In fact most of the armor made in Unther is bronze due to their inexperience with metallurgy. I recommended the half plate to Justin as a happy middle ground. It's not as hot to wear and is lighter then lamellar, both of which are good things in the semi-arid lands surrounding Unther.

Last edited:

Dexterward

First Post
Nightfall said:
That or Great Falchions/Khopeshes, double blade khopeshes/falchions.

All of these were options on the table. As I recall when Justin created the character he decided on a shield for added protection, thus eliminating the use of Falchions and Kopeshes. Not to say he can't have a heaver two handed weapon for a back up. His main weapon was going to be a holy Scimitar which will add additional punch to his smite and Kinght of the Chalice abilities.

The country of Unther is currently being invaded by the Mulhorandi empire and a horde of demonic orcs, trolls, and other goblinoids with their demon over lords. The holy Scimitar not only fits well with the weapons of choice in Unther, and the character concept, but the holy aspect will come in very handy when the demonic orc hordes breach the city walls.

Dexterward

First Post
Thanks for the Character Build Suggestions

I wanted to thank everyone for helping Justin come up with a good over all character. I read all the posts and found very sound advice. Over all it will be mostly up to Justin as to what classes and ability score array to take. As for starting equipment, I am flexible, but not overly so. The campaign has been running for almost two years now and the other characters have a fair amount of magical items at their disposal. Some they have crafted themselves for specific purposes, but most are things they found while adventuring and so may not fit the characters exact needs. It would be unfair to the other characters if Justin's PC comes into the campaign with all his magic items tied specifically to his character.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
As far as the weapon is concerned, (and a Kensai should be able to help you build this), go for, if yer fighting demons:

Cold Iron, Whatever Weapon, +X, Keen, Demon Bane, Holy and Lawful.

That'll bypass all DR, grant you more crits and +6d6 damage to the blighters.

Smiting is also a fave therefore Extra Smiting is a great feat since the plus to hit will allow you more opportunity to Power Attack if you take it.

Resounding Blow and Quell the Profane are also VERY good feats. Being able to force a Will AND a Fort save to avoid being cowered and losing 1d4+1 points of STR respectively on a crit is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

With regards to the above it I would then check out the 'Fist of Raziel' PrC, at 3rd level ALL crits are AUTOMATICALLY confirmed, (making weapons like Keen Falchions extremely potent).

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Dexterward said:
As I recall when Justin created the character he decided on a shield for added protection, thus eliminating the use of Falchions and Kopeshes.

Create an animated shield.....problem solved.

I too play an Arabic type paladin and he uses an animated tower shield which, for flavour, takes on the form of a localised sandstorm/whirlwind that solidifies in the area an opponent strikes.

sdt

First Post
Armor up! Put on a winter coat, the deserts no problem; Endure Elements is a first level spell and lasts all day.

Justin

Explorer
sdt said:
Armor up! Put on a winter coat, the deserts no problem; Endure Elements is a first level spell and lasts all day.

I noticed this. So I could just cast it every morning right after praying for my spells.

*thinks to self: now how much would a wizard charge for Permanency?* :D

Justin

Explorer
Dexterward said:
All of these were options on the table. As I recall when Justin created the character he decided on a shield for added protection, thus eliminating the use of Falchions and Kopeshes. Not to say he can't have a heaver two handed weapon for a back up. His main weapon was going to be a holy Scimitar which will add additional punch to his smite and Kinght of the Chalice abilities.

I had forgotten about this, as it has been several weeks since we created the character (gotta come up with a name!). So I'll likely go with the scimitar and a backup falchion. Probably should get a lance, too.

The country of Unther is currently being invaded by the Mulhorandi empire and a horde of demonic orcs, trolls, and other goblinoids with their demon over lords. The holy Scimitar not only fits well with the weapons of choice in Unther, and the character concept, but the holy aspect will come in very handy [strong]when[/strong] the demonic orc hordes breach the city walls.

Emphasis mine. Not much for subtle foreshadowing, is he? :eek:

I've pretty much decided to stay with Horus-Re as my deity. The nice thing would be to use a khopesh, since that's his favored weapon, though I'd need the EWP feat, so scimitar it is. Also, having either a hippogriff or griffon mount is a nice touch, even though Horus-Re has a hawk's head and not an eagle's. Close enough.

Remove ads