D&D 5E Best Archer Valor Bard build for these parameters?

OlegRU(new)

First Post
I understand that a super-optimized version of this would likely be either heavily geared towards caster or archer, maybe using other weapons/dmg cantrips, dipping multiple levels/classes, diff. races etc.

However, I specifically, RP and aesthetic-wise, want to play the character from my "Definites" below, and be this quickly-getting-around, good bowman, who casts fun spells and good at skills (I get it's somewhat MAD) .

I want to have the most optimized version possible of this, within given limits.

DM Rules:
  • We get 30 points for point-buy array (here's the calculator)
  • We start w/ a free less-powerful Feat
  • Starting level 1
Definites:
  • Playing a Half-Elf, Valor Bard, Dex-based Archer
  • Don't want negative modifiers (i.e. scores under 10)
More info:
  • So far the best arrays I've come up with are (post racial bonuses): 10, 16, 13, 10, 12, 17 and 10, 16, 14, 10, 13, 16.
  • Some DM-approved feats that work with my char are:
    • Medium Armor Master
    • Alert
    • Observant
    • Skill Expert
    • Fighter Initiate (for Archery Fighting Style)
    • Open to other fitting "less-powerful" feats
  • I might be open to a 1-2 level dip, class/RP-depending.
Questions:
  • What combo of Ability Scores + Feat would you recommend to start?
    • I like the 1st array in that w/ a feat I can start @ 18 CHA, but same time the 2nd array allows me a nice starting CON and a WIS that's feat-boostable to 14.
    • I like Skill Expert and Observant as they would allow me to have that 14 WIS if I did 2nd array, SE allowing me a nice Athletics despite my 10 STR or Observ. for the cool passive scores.
    • Alert is awesome for setting up in combat and keeping me more survivable.
    • Medium Armor Master - the major reason it's on there, is I'm worried that 16 AC (Breastplate + Dex) is a bit low, and don't want Med. Armors to kill my stealth.
    • Fighter Initiate (for Archery Fighting Style) gives +2 attack bns to help offset the -5 from Sharpshooter feat later.
  • What would you recommend as the ASI/Feat choices going forward in level progression
    • Depending on my array choice and starting feat. If 2nd array, considering Lvl 4: 18 CHA, Lvl 8: SS or 18 DEX or 20 CHA Lvl 12: Whichever I didn't take lvl 8 etc.

Last edited:

delph

Explorer
It depends on flavor you want to have.
Battle efficient is 10, 16, 14, 10, 13, 16, Fighter initiate AFS, on 4th lvl take sharpshooter feat.
More Bard than archer is 10, 16, 13, 10, 12, 17 with alert or Actor Feat, forgot on sharpshooter and AFS, because you will be better spellcaster than ranged/melee

OlegRU(new)

First Post
It depends on flavor you want to have.
Battle efficient is 10, 16, 14, 10, 13, 16, Fighter initiate AFS, on 4th lvl take sharpshooter feat.
More Bard than archer is 10, 16, 13, 10, 12, 17 with alert or Actor Feat, forgot on sharpshooter and AFS, because you will be better spellcaster than ranged/melee

I'd like battle efficient, but not sacrificing the cool and powerful spells/important bard levels for it. At the same time, I know that an optimized bard can be very casty, and ignores the battle efficiency, so I don't want to do that either. I'd like to be a fun and decent enough bowman, while also being able to cast etc. (i.e. I'm okay to not have CHA 20 super soon if it means I'm decent at bow and combat, but also not sacrificing too much of the magic and stuff) .

So was thinking maybe start 10, 16, 14, 10, 13, 16, and Fighter Initiate AFS, but then take CHA 18 as lvl 4 ASI, then maybe Dex 18 or SS on lvl 8, but then lvl 12 I'm not sure if CHA 20 or whichever of Dex 18/SS I didn't grab for 8..... and so on... something more balanced like that. Is there a better way to do this?

I guess doing the 10, 16, 14, 10, 13, 16 gives me 3 level ups to think and even if I get 18 cha @ 4th, there's still flexibility what i can do at lvl 8 etc..... though it would be nice to plot a course roughly.

Last edited:

Remove ads