Thread Recompilation - Places

El Jefe

First Post
(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn IV

A short but interesting tavern thread (lots of role play and action inside the tavern), there was nevertheless some good location information:

• There is a place in ENWorld called Bluerun Township.
  • Silver cards are used as room passes/keys at the Red Dragon Inn. One of them is numbered 177.
  • Killings have been know to occur in the Red Dragon Inn. When there is some doubt as to who is responsible, Joe summons Brother Cadfel of the Temple of Antonides.
  • There is a merchant office at 237 East Potter’s Lane in Orussus.
  • A hold of dwarves lives in the Stonepike Mountains in a place called Stonepike Manse.
  • There is a city watch station in Orussus at the corner of Livingstone and Broadstroke.

orsal

LEW Judge
El Jefe said:
There is a merchant office at 237 East Potter’s Lane in Orussus.

One implication of that, worth spelling out because this may be the only place which establishes the fact, is that Orussus has a system of numbered street addresses.

El Jefe

First Post
(Adventure) Dwarven Golems and Old Ruins (GaryH Judging)

I left all the Allimon-specific information out, since that has been covered previously.

Some interesting facts:

• There is a merchant’s bazaar near the Red Dragon Inn.
  • There are a number of tiny watering holes between Orussus and Allimon.
  • There are at least two dealers of donkeys, mules, and beasts of burden in Orussus. One is a dwarf who trains animals for underground exploration, the other trains beasts for use on farms and such.
  • To get from the plaza outside the Red Dragon Inn to the west gate of Orussus, one must first go north.
  • The road from Orussus to Allimon fords a small stream that swells mightily during the spring.
  • Two days travel from Orussus on the road to Allimon lies a cave that is the entrance to the abandoned Dwarven city of Talley-oh. The path to the cave crosses the same stream that the road also fords about 3 miles from the road.
  • Two days travel from Orussus on the road to Allimon, forests lie near the road. There are snakes in those forests.
  • On the path to the cave, the narrowest ford is about 3 feet deep and 10 feet wide.
  • The stream that crosses the road to Allimon is a salmon stream, and bears inhabit the area.
  • The cave that is the entrance to Talley-oh lies about a mile past the stream crossing, or about 4 miles in all from the road.
  • There is a ditch, large enough to provide cover for an adventurer, a few hundred feet from the stream crossing near the cave that is the entrance to Talley-oh.
There is this description of the entrance to the tunnel system leading to Talley-oh:

After about a quarter mile, the storm seems to let up a bit, an opening in the sky is overhead, and you are now on a cliff overlooking what appears to be a tiny canyon with a hole in the cliff-face on the far side.

The cavern is 140 feet deep, the hole is on the opposite side of the canyon 80 feet down. The canyon is 40 feet across, and a little over 200 feet wide from side to side. On the opposite side of the canyon, a sturdy chain ladder and pully system seem to be built securely into the ground above the cliff face. These implements lead into the cavern, the opening being roughly 7-8 feet on all sides. The cliff is very smooth from rain and mud flowing over the sides.

And this further description of the area:

(The canyon is 200 or so feet in length, it looks something like the ground looks when an axe cuts into mud, but this looks more like a huge axe into rock, a few times at different angles. It should be really simple to walk the 100 feet to either end, and then around to the repelling equipment.)​

And these further facts from the adventure:
  • There may or may not be a rope ladder leading down to the entrance of the cave.
  • There is a college at Allimon.
  • The dwarven hub-city of Talley-oh is abandoned.
  • The entrance tunnel to Talley-oh slopes down at a 15 degree angle and runs for 8 miles. About quarter of a mile in lies a hollow bronze sphere 9 feet in diameter, halfway embedded in the ground.
  • The entrance tunnel to Talley-oh has irregular steps to confuse attackers.
  • Some system of boards was once used at the entrance tunnel to Tally-oh to allow wheeled vehicles to travel the tunnel. The boards have deteriorated.
  • Some distance down the entrance tunnel to Talley-oh are two 2.5 foot holes in the wall, across from each other. These are probably ventilation shafts.
  • Some way past the ventilation shafts, the tunnel to Talley-oh opens up slightly and is blocked by two bronze doors.
  • Underneath the bronze doors gaurding the entrance to Talley-oh is a crank and winch arrangement for opening them.
  • Inside the gate to Talley-oh is a large room, perhaps 90 feet wide. Ramps head down to the left and right.
  • A hollow bronze sphere lies embedded in the ground in the passage to the left from the room behind the gates in the tunnel to Talley-oh.
  • A few thousand feet down the left tunnel from the room behind the gates to Talley-oh lies the entrance to a 5 foot wide corridor. 150 feet down this corridor are the charred remains of some barrels once stacked against one side of the passage.
  • At the end of a 150-foot side passage a few thousand feet inside the gates to Talley-oh, the corridor opens up into a room with levers, gears, chains, and bronze pipes on the walls. This is a control room that operates many of the mechanisms in the complex.
  • The chamber with the reservoir on the tunnel to Talley-oh is 200 feet in diameter, with several dwarven contraptions buried in the floor and a spherical illuminating device half buried in the wall.
  • The metal sphere buried in the wall of the reservoir room on the entrance tunnel to Talley-oh is about 3 meters in diameter, covered in creases that form a web on its surface, with 5 bronze pipes coming out of its base. Three of the pipes have hand cranks attached. From left to right the pipes are: crank labeled (in Dwarven) "Cool Aether", no crank, crank labeled "Siphoning", no crank, and crank labeled "Hot Aether". The sphere sounds hollow if struck, and reeks of magic.
  • About 8 hours west of the cave that is the entrance to Talley-oh is a small river.
  • Some distance (over a mile) south of the road from Orussus to Allimon lies a path leading to Allimon. A fallen bridge marks a crossing over a small river.

El Jefe

First Post
Discussion - (Adventure) Dwarven Golems and Old Ruins (GaryH Judging)

I actually was able to make sense of all that, although it did take some interpetation.

The first bit of confusion is the layout of Orussus. We established in the Tower of Koltefineus thread (admittedly short and aborted) that the Street of Merchants lay close to the southwest gate of the city. Now, I don't have a problem with there being a small bazaar very close to the Red Dragon Inn and a much larger Street of Merchants halfway across town, I think that adds flavor to the city. But what throws a monkey wrench into the works is Gregorius's comment, made while looking at a map, that the party had to go north to get to Allimon.

Well, there are several possible explanations. Allimon is clearly to the west of Orussus, reached by the road that exits the southwest gate of the city. So, one explanation is that it is just a continuity error, introduced by a player who was trying to add DM-level detail to the game. I, of course, prefer an in-game explanation. Another explanation might be that the character just couldn't read a map very well. Since nobody (including Gur Chuck-Chuck, who knows the area well) corrected his error, I'd prefer yet ANOTHER explanation.

I'm thinking that the layout of Orussus is somewhat convoluted. Most old cities are not laid out on organized grids, but sort of look like oversized rat warrens. We still haven't established the layout of the Red Dragon Inn with respect to the harbor or to the River Roars that passes through Orussus and empties into the harbor. So, I'm thinking that because of the twisted layout of the streets, the most direct route from the Red Dragon Inn to the southwest gate goes north (if only for a block or two) before turning sharp left and passing through the Street of Merchants on the way to the gate. Perhaps there would be a turnoff to the right along the way that would lead to harbor, or perhaps the nearest bridge over the River Roars lies to the north of the Red Dragon. There--everything still fits, and it adds yet more flavor to the city.

The next thing that seems like an error is the small stream that has to be forded between Orussus and Allimon. I have no trouble with this at all...it's too small to appear on the map (at the narrowest point, only 10 feet wide!), yet if it floods in the spring, most merchants will have a tale of the time they got held up for 3 days waiting for that blasted nameless stream to go down. It stays.

I didn't have a problem with anything else until Creamsteak got to describing the tunnel complex. The magical bronze sphere was described as being both "1/4 mile in" and "1/2 mile further in". Again, that might be the NPC Sullivan being vague, obtuse, or deceitful, but I prefer to think of it in terms of layout. I'm placing the bronze doors at 1/4 mile from the entrance to the tunnel at the canyon, and the magical bronze sphere at 1/4 mile past the bronze doors. I know that doesn't fit all the descriptions precisely, but it makes sense to me.

The 2.5-foot holes were not described as ventilation shafts, but it was mentioned that they both sloped out of sight, the one on the left sloping down, and the one on the right sloping up and lit with some mysterious, distant gray light. If you know anything about mining or tunnels, that pretty much screams "Air Shaft!", although I don't know if that was Creamsteak's original intent. I'm calling them ventilation shafts until someone corrects me.

The rest of the layout isn't too confusing to me. There's a room right behind the bronze doors, with two tunnels sloping down to the left and right (the layout of the room and tunnels isn't symmetrical). The party never went down the right tunnel, so we don't know anything about it. "A few thousand feet" (and 1/4 mile = 1,320 feet) down the left tunnel is a narrow side passage to the left that led to the barrels and slime (now burned) and the control room. It's a dead end -- after visiting the control room, the party returned to the main (left) tunnel. Continuing down the left tunnel, shortly after the side passage to the control room is what I call the "reservoir room", where the magical bronze sphere is buried. One point of confusion is that it is buried in the WALL, where reading Creamsteak's posts up to that point one would have got the impression that it was buried in the FLOOR. Aside from that, the tunnel complex is easy to understand.

The last thing is the "small river" that isn't on the map. From the lay of the land, it seems obvious to me that it must flow from south to north, and that it parallels the small stream that the party had to cross earlier in the adventure. The sunken bridge is an interesting detail. Obviously, it was a bridge from somewhere (where? Talley-oh?) to Allimon. I don't have a problem with it being VERY old, like the ruins where Boromir died near the end of the Fellowship of the Ring movie. I also don't have a problem with the river not being on the map, it's just too small to worry about (probably easily forded on the main road from Orussus to Allimon, and possibly less prone to flooding than the little stream that lies further to the east). The locals probably have a name for this river, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the denizens of Orussus don't know it.

El Jefe

First Post
(Announcement) Help me organize all of the LEW world information!

This thread had an immense amount of location information. In a way, it could be considered to be the precursor of the current thread.

We'll start with a large-scale discussion of ENWorld:

First of all, Enworld is a flat world that rides atop a single great elephant named Morrus. The world is similar to Pratchett's Discworld, but we have a single androgynous imortal elephant to ride across the universe.

Discworld

At the center of the globe there is a single great city named Orussus Trade City. Orussus is the home of thousands of classic adventurers, and is alongside a body of water, and surrounded by mountains with roads leading in most directions.

(I need some notes on the other cities, if someone could confirm the "how far north and south of orussus" that would help").

Other major landmarks include 6 great towers that represent the elements of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Positive Energy, and Negative energy. Each of the primary elements is surrounded by representative countryside. The towers go down into the root of Enworld's disc. They are near the edges of the world, equidistant from the center.Error! Bookmark not defined.

Fire - This elemental region is covered with volcanic activity and dangerous natural phenomenon. It never rains within a hundred miles of this tower, so it is surrounded by desert beyond the mountains. (Volcanic mountains around the tower, surrounded by deserts. Located in the Southeast.)

Earth - This is the most temperate tower, having been one of the most fertile growing lands in history. Metal veins run deep around this tower, and wealth is common. The tower itself is surrounded by mountains of stone and metal, once bastiosn to passing civilizations. The land is flat beyond the mountains, and forests populate this area. (Large mountains surround the tower, surrounded by forests and green plains. Very traditional DnD region. Located along the Northeastern corner of map.)

Wind - This region is the most isolated of all the towers. Where the earth, fire, and water towers are protected by natural phenomenon, the Wind tower is seperated by a lack of such. The land around the tower of wind has fallen off Enworphant's back, ages before any can recall. Now the tower, jutting down towards the planet, is surrounded by nothing but the uncontrollable winds that it controls. (Broken off section of map, tower sits on the edge surrounded by tempests of wind. Located along southwestern corner of map.)

Water - The tower of water is part of the largest ocean of Enworld. Here you have a tower surrounded by mountains of ice and then by water for miles. Near the tower itself, it is nearly impossible to land a boat. Isolated and cold, even during the summer, the water tower is an isolated place. (Located opposite fire tower, far Northwestern tower on map.)

Positive Energy - This tower, like all the others is a large grey stone pillar. (really havn't figured this one out, thinking mount celestia type thing, farthest north).

Negative Energy - A lone grey tower, surrounded by the graveyards of the dead. It is rumored that all evil bodies and souls migrate to this place after death... a place made of bone, surrounded by the unfertile soil of death. (Located farthest south).​

Next, Kahuna Burger contributed this description of the lands around Earling:

What is known in the greater lands as the Northern mountains actually forms most of Earling's southern border. The largly impassable range dwindles to these merely annoying hills and gullys only to the most eastern side. Further on, they are cut by the mighty river which consitutes the state's eastern border and separates them from the Wilding Wood. Earling doesn't so much have a western border as it has a large contested region before the harsh desert where orcs, goblins and lawless nomads hold sway. To the north other city states hold their own land between the river and the desert, but Earling is the largest and taxes the easiest routes to the wider world and trade.

There is a pass through the Northern mountains coloqulially known as "Big/Little Pass" which comes out near the city state of Andren, which is nearly due north of Orosus. There are many smaller villages in the hills around andren, including a now largely non existant one named RedOak.​

Some words about Lathirn:

Lathirn could really be anywhere. Sorry that I was vague about it's location... however, it could be anywhere that would have a long rainy season, and in lowlands, with plains around at least half of it.​

Some words on Tharol and Medibaria:

Tharol: Definitely somewhere in the Earth region; a few weeks' travel northeast from Orussus; bordering a forest and a lake, and probably very nearby a mountain range that keeps it isolated.

Kingdom of Medibaria: East from Orussus, in a moderately forested region. It's a fairly small kingdom (capital city + one major city + ~20 smaller towns), and possibly a bit north of east, bordering the Earth region.​

An even better description of Rivenblight than any that has come before:

Rivenblight

Location: Some 250 miles North of Orussus, located in a hilly region between the forests of The Silverwood to the North, the hilly woods of Larkenwold Reach to the South ,the Vastermarch (a region of plains and rich fertile grasslands, as well as light woods) to the West and the hostile Human realm of Hendrallia sitting to the East.Rivenblight is the largest congregation of Elvenkind in all of Enworld, with every race of Elvenkind being represented, even the Drow...

Make-Up
Rivenblight, Independant Metropolis
Pop: 89,430 (77% Elvish< 35% High,17%Wood,13%Grey,7%Half-Elf,4%Drow, 1%Half-Drow>, 11% Human, 6% Gnome,3%Dwarf,2%Halfling,1% Half-Orc)

Government: Oligarchy (the Council of Nine, made up of the leading Guilds,Houses and Clans from the surrounding lands as well as the City).

Religion: All, particularly Grendath and Hyrag.

Imports:All manner of trade goods, much coming from the Vastermarch, which borders many lands and comprises an astounding array of Trade prospects.

Exports: Worked crafts of all sorts, renowned for musical instruments and pigments for use in painting as well as finished works of literature.
The last century has seen Rivenblight exporting a growing trade in weapons and armor, as the World around them demands a higher and higher quality of Arms.
As well, there are ruins and entrances to the Underdark in Rivenblight, giving rise to opportunities to secure riches untold of.

Alignments: All, with Chaotic Good,Neutral,Neutral Good and Lawful Neutral being predominant. It is an odd phenomenon that amidst the carefree nature that elves are known for, there exists a very ordered and structured way of life in Rivenblight. In a land where the slightest mis-step coud bring about a Duel, knowing the Law is crucial.

Politics: With three of it's four borders comprosed of bastions of Elvenkind, Rivenblight would seem an ideal place to live for an elf. However,Hendrallia sits upon the Eastern border of the City, a land thatfeels no love towards Rivenblight. Indeed, antipathy and even outright hatred for the Elves is kept in check only by the massed might of the Houses,Clans and Guilds theirein, should they ally against an external threat (which they have done before).Hendrallia feels that the Elven city is stiffling it's trade opportunities, as the elven nations were far less organized (thus, Hendrallia fared far better) before the city arose.
This is a long-standing Grudge, as Rivenblight was founded some 500 years ago (then known as Beryl), but the hendrallians have a long memory.

History

Rivenblight was once a thriving trade center utilized as a middle ground between the Grey Elves of Larkenwold Reach, the Wood Elves of the Silverwood and the High Elves of the cities of the Vastermarch. As well, humans, Dwarves and Halflings all came to trade in the great Metropolis. In those bygone days, the City was known as Beryl. All of this changed one dire day some 300 years ago, when a Cataclysmic Earthquake literally split the city in twain, half of it sliding into a great crater/cleft, much of it and thousands of it's residents all destroyed and killed. Diviners and Seers sought the cause, and though no definative source was evident, it was surmised that the Drow had a hand in the Foul deed.
Though none blamed the others for the catastrophy, the various elves all became suspicious of the other Guild Houses, Clans and Trade Unions. Many sought to profit from the sorrow of others during this time of trouble. Food importation and crafts, housing and jealousy of what others still had <when some had lost all>quickly escalated into open hostility and Warfare among the Elves.
Some groups fought along racial lines, some for their Guilds and some fought as mercinaries for whomever paid the most coin, foodor had the sweeteast promises of things to come.
Into this came the Drow, stealing forth from below, as some of Rivenblight (as the former City was now known) was now permanently in the dark, shaded by the walls of the crater that fully a third of the city had fallen into. As well, Gnolls and Goblins, Orcs and Ogres used the strife as a destraction so that they might take up residence in the Ruins of Rivenblight as well (perhaps aided by the Drow, who use these as fodder in their armies). Rivenblight was a dangerous place indeed.
Now, some three centuries later, the Elves still live in an Uneasy situation, though open Warfare between them is now a thing of the past. Dwarves have begun entering the Ruins looking for treasures, 'plots' sold off by Elven Lords for a share of the profits.
The Human Realm of Hendrallia sits on the Eastern border of the city, a hostile presence not strong enough to depose the Elves and plunder their city, yet too strong for the Elves to remove.
Many eyes look to this Ancient and Rich place, from Lands abroad and Lands Below...​

A word of dissent (from the mapmaker, no less!):

Ok, but the way things look, and I mean loosely, right now, Medibaria is NNE of Orussus, based on what everyone has 'described'....I may be wrong, and it is still very subject to change...​

The location of Ushad appeared in a quotation:

The 'Slaying the Dreamer' adventure is taking place in a far, far off place called Ushad...

Janos Audron said:
Location: Ushad (appr. 850 miles south, south-west of the Red Dragon Inn)

Sparky did a great job of summarizing what had come before:

Somewhere between the kingdom that holds the County of Lionel (is that what a Count governs?) and the Barony of Owir (from Fant's background) and the nation of Thelis (from Persephone's background) is barbarian country. At least two tribes the Barav Kree and the Kurik Kree range these lands. What sort of land is it? Whatever it needs to be to fit. Though if it's mountainous, I should probably shuffle around some of Rainca's skill assignments.

Scanning the characters there should also be:

- GnomeWorks already chimed in with Lathirn for Troi
- a city called Ravensdale in an indeterminate location, probably a good-sized trade city along one or two major routes or several smaller ones. (see Dungannon's PC Devlin)
- Uriel's PC Silvercat lives in previously mentioned Rivenblight
- an archipelago of tropical islands called Hawaiki (see Tonguez's PC Tamatea)
- a city in Medabaria called Tharol (see Manzanita's PC Ignatious O'Reilly)
- a tropical region to the south known as the Riverlands. I'm guessing lots of rivers. And tropics. The people there show their rank with face tattoos. (see Mithreander's PC Quickwhip)
- a place called Ithyria (see Inez Hull's PC Borlund Gracie)
- a land of barbarian elves to the north (see Erekose13's PC ao'Thuir)
- Monemvassia, a kingdom in Thelis. The land of Thelis has a peninsula in north and west called Pelepenisia. (see Manzanita's PC Persephone)
- dpdx chimed in for Rurik's mountain range
- we might try to come up with a region that sounds Italian, we have several characters with that flavor to their names.
- we might also try to come up with a region that sounds French, we have several characters with that flavor to their names.​

Some words on Ithyria:

Scorpio, I have no idea where Ithyria is. This is what I got from Borlund Gracie's background... Ithyria was ravaged by a plague, the Grim Cackle. I'm thinking, since the plague didn't reach other cities (it appears in no other backgrounds), that the citizens were very good at keeping quarantine or it is pretty remote. It may or may not have a significant library, or at least one private citizen with a significant library.​

Guilt Puppy added a dwarven kingdom and a desert:

There's a Dwarven kingdom (or set of kingdoms, perhaps) called Thrusch somewhere in the world, according to my dear old Sturm's background. Probably in mountains, but not necessarily -- could be a network of caves accessible through a canyon, or something of that sort. It goes deep, though -- Down Thrusch is Sturm's home, and it's pretty much in / right on top of whatever layer would be analogous to the Underdark (although the closest personal threats are kobolds, it's kind of built into their culture that they have to chase out much nastier things from time to time.)

Also, if there's space, as a request for future use I'd love to have a desert plains called the Valdun, which is inhabited solely by nomadic tribes (the Valduni), who are sort of a cultural mix of arabic/native american/african influences... I can give you a detailed write up if you'd like to use it -- it's a "culture concept", I guess, and I've never really found the place to use it as either a DM or a player... I think this would be an appropriate enough spot.​

Some stuff on the Barav Kree:

I missed one of your questions earlier - the barbarian lands are inhabited by the Kree tribes. There are the Barav Kree, the Kurik Kree, the Kesh Kree and several others. ao'Thuir is a PCs name, a wood elf barbarian from far to the north (see Error! Bookmark not defined.), tribes separate from the human tribes of the Kree. As far as naming the Kree lands - the Kree call their current home Kree Taka'neh. Others might call it Kree Territory, the Barbarian Steppes/Hills/Wash (depending on the land type). The territory is sandwiched between whichever kingdom Owir and Lionel belong to and the nation of Thelis (also known as or containing the kingdom of Monemvassia).​

The woods near Orussus get a name:

The Wood to the South and/or East is the Bryarwood, usually just called 'the Wood' by the locals.​

Creamsteak makes a new city:

I'm going to propose a new location, Flenceburg. The primary focus of this city is located here (link broken), and it most likely would be located southeast of Orussus at least 350 miles or more. Possibly isolated from some of the other regions.​

Here’s a suggestion for a frozen wasteland:

Now, is there room anywhere for a frozen, icy wasteland? It can be anywhere (since there aren't poles), but the more forbidding and remote the better. It's a good sized region, smaller than Texas, but larger than Ohio. If that maps to your creation scheme at all.

Oh, it's called Anharath.​

There is a region called Damas in Ithyria.

Region of Damas! Erm...​

And a massive write-up on the city of Fallon:

Fallon, the Sunken City of Falls

History :
100 years ago, the famous astrologer Bentilous Forlune, discovered an asteroid that was destined to strike Fallon and destroy it utterly. Bentilous let the college of wizardry in the city know of this, and after verifying the information through arcane, scientific and theological avenues, the city pulled its resources to save itself.

With in the time period before the asteroid would hit, the magic-users made great strives and advances to protect their city, and what would come after the strike.

They finally erected a barrier of energy over and around the city to protect it from the asteroid. It worked... but not exactly as they had planned.

When the meteor hit the barrier, instead of nothing happening to the city, the city was driven into the floor of the earth some 1000 feet! The barrier had saved the people, but the sea that was their lively hood started to fill the void that the meteor had left.

Once more, the mages worked to overcome this threat in the now submerged city (the barrier was still intact, and kept the water outside of it, though it also kept air out as well). They first derived a way to keep the water from filling up the void with spells that moved the incoming water out of the crater almost as fast as it came in. With the remaining water, they created purifying spells and separating spells to separate the sea life from the water and provide fresh water for the city.

They then created spells that would prevent the walls of the newly formed pit form eroding. Many other spells were created, but the most important one was the Sentinel spell that watched all of the other spells and reported any problems, or potential problems. The Sentinel Spell worked on a console that the other spells were hooked to. Through the console, all of the spells that protect the city can be manipulated and strengthened periodically.

Government: Democracy with Theocracy and Magocracy undertones.

The city is controlled through two different parties who meet in the Great Council of Wisdom and Intellect (GCWI) to determine new legislature that may become laws if the Grand Councilor passes it. These two groups are representatives of the church and the School of Wizardry. Each one contains 6 individuals, all of which are voted to their positions for life, or until dismissed. The citizens of Fallon vote for the new representative when a position is available from a group of candidates from the appropriate organizations: The College of Wizardry or from The Halls of Gods.

The Grand Councilor is a temporary position that is filled from the 12 representatives of the GCWI. The position is voted on once every 5 years, and Grand Councilor can be reelected any number of times.

Places in the city:

The Halls of Gods:
A great temple erected to pay homage to all of the gods in the heavens. It is known especially for its ever-growing diameter as new wings are continuously added to the star shaped building for each new god that is recognized and discovered. Each wing holds it's own services and rituals; it's own staff and members. In the center of the ever-growing temple is a huge rotunda where the heads of each of the wings meet once a year to discuss the welfare of faith and the city.

The College of Wizardry:
Where the Halls of Gods is the center of theology in Fallon, the Collage of Wizardry is the center of arcane knowledge and power. The collage has it's own section of Fallon for itself, and has since filled it completely with buildings... so now they build up, rather then out. The growing towers of the college are the only things from the city that those outside of the crater can see, some of the building reaching 15 stories in height. The College is ran by the Head Master, an elected position that is only filled by professors of the school (Usually a member of the GCWI, though that is not a prerequisite). It's a life long position.

The Garden of Life:
The Garden of Life is a large park that was created during the time when the city was submerged. It was created to replenish the air of the city. Now, the park is a place of beauty and relaxation, as well as housing the Chapter of Druids in its heart. A full mile square, the Council meets on the winter and summer peaks to discuss the welfare of the world, and environment of the city and surrounding territories. The druids are a loosely organized group that tends to work individually.

The docks:
At the base of the falls from the incoming sea, the docks still exist, and so do the awesome waterspouts that transport the ships to and from the zenith of the falls to the docks. Every 30 minutes, a water sport will start to shoot up into the air, carrying any floating object on it to eject it into the open sea right beyond the pull of the falls. It then slowly reseeds, giving ships from the sea an opportunity to get on the top of the spout for a ride down to the docks. In this fashion, the ever-oncoming sea is ejected from the cities environment. There are other waterspouts that are consistently working to alleviate the water from the crater.

The caves:
In the rock walls of the crater, many of the dwarvish and gnomish citizens have made their homes. In the last 100 years, a honeycomb of caverns have been created. A deposit of iron, as well as copper has been discovered to keep the dwarves busy, and various semi-precious stones for the gnomes. The two groups combined account for 20% of the total citizenship of Fallon. The majority of Fallon is human.

The Bridge City (or upper city):
Spanning the crater, bridges of marble and quarts have been created. They span always from west to east, following the cliff sides that the sun would touch. The cliff sides now look more like jewels, the polished stone carved into houses and shops where they would catch the infrequent rays of the sun. This is the home of the elves in the city (comprising 10% of the population). The elves were invited into the city before the asteroid hit and, though most left once it was safe to, some decided to stay... and those same are still there, creating this artwork in architecture.

NPCs:

Councilors of the GCWI:

Mage Councilor 1:
Mithreander H'unnett, Male Grey Elf Fighter/Deviner/Archmage/Dualist1/13/3/1 Align: CG

Mage Counselor 2: Grand Counselor

Mage Counselor 3:

Mage Counselor 4:

Mage Counselor 5:

Mage Counselor 6:

Cleric Counselor 1:

Cleric Counselor 2:

Cleric Counselor 3:

Cleric Counselor 4:

Cleric Counselor 5:

Cleric Counselor 6: Theora Thundershield, Female Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Cleric 4/11 Align: LG

Racial Leaders of Fallon:

Elven Leader: Mithreander H'unnett, Male Grey Elf Fighter/Deviner/Archmage/Dualist 1/13/3/1 Align: CG

Dwarven Leader: Theora Thundershield, Female Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Cleric 4/11 Align: LG

Orcish Representative:

Gnomish Leader:​

There might be a place named Chimera Springs.

OK. I wanted to run a little adventure in a somewhat lawless region. A place fugitives could hide. A bit of wild west. Would be nice to have some good mineral deposits or something to attract some interest & generate some wealth. There would be several cities, each independent, but united at times, to defend against organized invasion.

I'm not sure if that fits in with anything already suggested. One town should be named Chimera Springs.​

Some more about Ravensdale:

Ravensdale is no less than a day's ride from the Red Dragon Inn, and no more than three day's ride. It should be placed next to at least one major trade route, be it road or river. The direction is mostly irrelevant. I did use the name "Western Road" in the city background I wrote up and sent to creamsteak, but that was more of an "I can't think of a good name" thing than a " this is integral to the story" thing.​

A description of Ignussus by Creamsteak:

Ignussus is a small city located in the deserts surrounding the burning mountains that form a wall around the tower of elemental fire. Located only a few hundred miles from the edge of the world, Ignussus is reputedly one of the most dangerous cities to live in. The town is controlled by a thieves guild called the Curved Blades of Arcton, a group of thugs and murderers that make their business the control of all goods coming in and out of the city. Ignussus itself would never have grown so large without them, however, as they were the original provisioners of water in the township for many years.​

Speaking of Ignussus, here’s the only bar in town:

One of the few free taverns in the world, the Father's Wish is home to a variety of men and women during the night. The tavern's name refers to the founder's father, an extremely poor miner, who could never enjoy life unless he was drinking. The same man was so poor that he couldn't afford to both indulge his weakness and support his family, and unlike his peers he chose to work for his family. His son grew up, left his home to become a wealthy and talented mercenary, and after many years returned home to open a free tavern for any good man or woman to appreciate. He named this tavern in his father's honor, and the father was even able to appreciate this hospitality for a number of years before he died.

This bar, unlike most country bars where a number of smaller tables exit, uses only one huge wooden table (30 feet by 50 feet) in the main room. The table forms a closed U-shape that allows the servers to move around freely in between the action and conversation. This also tends to help prevent brawls as two men must be sitting within two or three seats of each other in order to at least be within reach. This strange custom makes this tavern more homely than most, with many new people having the chance to greet each other across the table. It is because of this that the bar is often considered one of the few real treasures in the desert. Drinks are brought up from the basement where the brewery is located. Wines are imported, but only that which is exceptionally cheap can normally be provided.

This night, there is a very motley assortment of people inside the tavern (including the characters), and the workload has been hard on the servers. A very common misconception in this tavern is that "since the drink is free, there’s no need to leave a tip," and anyone working here long enough has been forced to explain that this is indeed false. The many workingmen are laughing and enjoying their time as would be expected.​

And a somewhat contradictory discussion of Allimon:

Great, so this might not be of any use, but here is some of my information. I'll also tag in the city of Allimon. Just pick a spot 20-50 miles west (and north or south a bit) from Orussus for it, as I havn't been to technical with it's location.

See my first three posts in (link broken, but this was in Heroes of the Vesper Peaks). for more specific information on Ignussus.

Also, I have a city called Allimon, which should be about 20-30 miles west of Orussus. It is a four-walled fortress city full of religious significance and worship where all of the large buildings have domed roofs. I detailed the quarters in the second post of (link also broken, but this was in Dwarven Golems and Old Ruins and in Tracking Down Sullivan).​

El Jefe

First Post
Discussion - (Announcement) Help me organize all of the LEW world information!

There's quite a bit to talk about here. Let's dive in.

The first thing is probably more of a problem for one of my characters than for anyone else. I always pictured Oirhandir as being from "across the ocean to the west". We've never really populated that area of the map, so far as I can tell. But if I look at the elemental towers and their surroundings, it's troubling. To the northwest, we have the Tower of Water, and I imagine it's environs as a great polar sea, with icebergs floating all around. I don't know what the "edge" of the EnWorld disc is like. I could imagine a great waterfall in that area, with ice floes and the occasional ship going over the edge and going SPLAT! on the enworphant's back or on some other plane of existance. I suppose the water would have to be replentished from somewhere, so maybe great icy waterfalls would cascade down the sides of the Tower of Water to spill into the sea.

The Tower of Air is even worse. I envision this as a broken off piece of the Hexagon with no way to get to the tower without flying or teleporting or something. Worse for my purposes, there is no "land" or "region" around the Tower that resembles the Terra Firma of the rest of the map. I want my elf's background to be exotic, but not that exotic.

I recall from another thread somewhere (haven't got to it yet in this review) that the EnWorld disc is some 25,000 miles across. If Orussus is dead smack in the middle of it, that means that the far edge is some 12,500 miles away. The Great Ocean (and shouldn't it have a name, besides just the Great Ocean?) of which Orussus is a port is obviously big, but 12,000 miles big? I like to think that either the Tower of Water is in a different ocean, or that the Great Ocean extends to the northwest but not due west. That gives me a western shore maybe 3,000 to 8,000 miles away, with plenty of room for Oirhandir's ancestral homeland. That gives us plenty of room for the archipelago of Hawaiki (see below) somewhere in the middle of the Great Ocean, and several thousand miles of land on the other side between the western shore and the western edge of the world disc.

I don't recall from memory that the layout of the passes through the Northern mountains matches Kahuna Burger's description (I had Big/Little pass located further west than she does). Aside from that, her description of the lands around Earling works.

Once again, scale rears it's ugly head. Based on SRD movement rates, Tharol as described is somewhere around 400 to 700 miles from Orussus. If the disc is 25,000 miles across, that would be nowhere near the Tower of Earth or any conceivable "Earth Tower Region". I suppose it comes down to just what we want the scale of EnWorld to be. I don't have a problem with the region a few hundred miles northeast of Orussus being somewhat similar to the region around the Tower of Earth, if that helps the world to come together.

I couldn't help but notice that Rivenblight is much, much larger than Orussus...to the extent that once characters get to a high enough level that they can't find what they want in Orussus due to city gp restriction, they should be able to find it in Rivenblight. Very few magic items short of minor artifacts are sufficiently pricey to dominate such a large market.

I would also think that as far as trade goes, Rivenblight ought to be the dog that is wagging the Orussus tail. You don't get that feel from hanging out in the Red Dragon Inn, do you?

I noticed that we have several locations (County of Lionel, Barony of Owir, et al.) that aren't really well placed on the map. Someone could do that if they feel ambitious, there is a lot of room if we scale EnWorld large enough.

Or, maybe I spoke too soon. Specifically, the County of Lionel and the Barony of Owir are far to the north, along with Kree Territory and Thelis. I don't recall them on the northern map, though, and if I'm right that means we still have to place them somewhere.

My next problem is Fallon. It's mentioned as being on a sea, but I just don't remember that from looking at the overall map. If anything, Fallon is near a lake...could that do double duty as a "sea"? My other comment on Fallon is the level of some of the influential NPC's...it's as high as 18! I don't know if that needs trimmed to be consistent with Creamsteak's concept of not having world-shaking NPCs of player character races, but it sure is something to think about. Maybe "traveling to Fallon" might replace traveling to the positive energy tower, at least for parties with a character or two to ressurect.

Ignussus seems to work well and fit in, although you have the near-the-edge-of-the-disc thing and scale to worry about. I haven't read through Heroes of Vesper Peaks yet, and will comment if there's a problem.

Since we already have Allimon on the map that appears at the beginning of every Red Dragon Inn thread, I don't think we need to worry about how it was described in two different locations in the same post!

El Jefe

First Post
(Discussion) How to organize LEW?

This was a little strange and interesting. This whole thread was about what information should go in what thread...very appropo considering what Knight OTU is doing right now.

But there was no location-related information in the thread, unless you count links to other sites (like the LEW-wiki).

Manzanita

First Post
Fallon was created by Mithreander, a talented and creative DM who is no longer active on this forum. One adventure took place there, which was never completed.

I think we have/will have a number of situations like this. A DM (or player as background) creates a location. Said DM/Player 'retires' from LEW. What do we do with this? I think it is very likely no one will have an interest in developing this location in the future.

It think we, as a community, should have free reign to modify such locations as we see fit. Put them in out-of-the-way places. Perhaps there should be a region of 'lost cities.'

El Jefe

First Post
I'd like to deal with Fallon more specifically after I've read through the Fallon's Key adventure (which I presume is the one you're talking about).

I wouldn't be so hasty to conclude that nobody will develop some of these "lost" locations. For example, I'm toying with the idea of bringing a monk into the game. If I do, then I want him to be "from" one of the established monasteries in the game...either the Roaring Waters monastery, the Monastery of St. Feragon (perhaps reconsecrated in the nearly 2 years since the feral smackdown was concluded), or the "typo" monastery to the southeast of Orussus. If I take the 3rd choice, I'll have to at least name it or something in the character description. I might also weave some backstory into any adventures that character goes on (as I have for my existing characters), and it would be fair game for a DM to flesh out in more detail.

Another example is Rivenblight. I really can see PCs starting to bump up against the economy (max gp) limits of Orussus in a few levels, and the closest larger city is Rivenblight. Your rogue wants a suit of leather armor with the Greater Slick enhancement? Well, he'll figure out quick that it's not to be had in Orussus, but readily available in Rivenblight. Road trip! And someone has to DM that road trip and purchase, right?

I'd like to modify locations as little as necessary, more for reasons of continuity than of logic or even respect to the creators (not that we shouldn't respect the creator's intent as much as possible). For example, Creamsteak's description of the tunnels leading to Talley-oh was obviously flawed in the sense that everything said about it couldn't be true...the orb couldn't be both 1/2 mile inside and 1/4 mile inside. So, I chose to interpret that information in a way that made sense to me and could be repeated for anybody else venturing there. And why couldn't someone revisit the site? A PC could always say they "heard rumors" around the RDI and chose to investigate them. And why should the judges refuse a DM who wants to run another adventure in that complex? Creamsteak finished the adventure and essentially "published" a description of part of the complex. Don't be surprised if someone doesn't eventually want to set an adventure there, if not today or next week, maybe sometime next year. I've got some neat ideas for things to do there myself (#2 or 3 in my list of adventure hooks if I ever decide to DM in LEW).

So, in the interest of helping suspend disbelief by creating a "somewhat" persistant world, I suggest we leave established sites pretty much where they are, modify them as little as possible (but as much as necessary) to be rational and consistent with the rest of LEW, and let people explore and develop them as they please. There's still a bronze gate and winch arrangement at the entrance to Talley-oh, just as Creamsteak described it, but whoever's DMing the next adventure there can do what they want with the region beyond the "reservoir room", so long as it doesn't depart too much from "Sullivan's" description of the place.

Remove ads