Endur's Return to TOEE part 2

Xael

First Post
Lylamwyn thanks Elmo for trying, and tells this what he knows. He then leaves to gather the party.

After telling the party what he knows and found out, Lylamwyn continues talking. "We know that Karlun Fies the Miller let them stay in the basement of the Mill, and I think our first priority should be checking if they have left anything there, or if the demon that disguised as Vesta went to hide there. I don't if the Miller was charmed or was just greedy, but the demon has the ability to look like anybody, so we have to be damn careful.

Then we need to have a long chat with Maridosen."
, he says bluntly.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The party finds two burly men working at the mill: Themock and Nhygen, Karlun's hired help.

Under questioning, they readily admit that some of Karlun's friends were staying in the cellar of the Mill until a few days ago. They describe people that look like Master Dunrat, Chenashi, a man named Sart (probably the Demoness in disguise), the half-orc, and the other warrior.

They suggest talking to Karlun, who is probably in his house. Karlun hasn't been around much for the past several days, but he stopped by every once in a while to check on how things are going. Probably only spending five minutes at the Mill on any given day.

The party finds various bedrolls and personal items in the cellar, proof the people did spend several days there.

The party does not find anyone in Karlun Fie's house. He and his wife are both missing.

Belaver thinks there is something wrong about the house, but has a hard time figuring out what is wrong. Then it hits him what the difference is from this house and his Aunt Alice's house. Aunt Alice buys fresh baked bread and other foods from the market every day. The food in Karlun Fie's house is several days old.

Endur

First Post
The party is unable to locate Maridosen's new place of employment. Speculation is that she went back to Verbobonc after being fired by Vesta.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Belaver notes the age of the food to the party; "I believe this means that Karlun has been gone for several days. That does not bode well for him and his wife."

Pyrex

First Post
Endur said:
Chenashi defends herself by saying, "I was young and poor. My family needed the money, so they sold me to Master Dunrat as his apprentice. Master Dunrat kept me locked up and forced me to participate in horrible evil acts. I never had a choice. I was his victim, not his assistant." She even shows the marks on her wrists and ankles where she wore chains.

Raner's eyebrows furrow, pondering just how much of what she says is the honest truth and how much is just a desperate attempt to save her life; "Aye, that may have been true once, but I very much doubt that those you serve would grant the foul magicks you used against us to a reluctant victim."

Pyrex

First Post
Raner nods at Belaver, then turns toward Lylamwyn. "How do we track someone who can look like anyone? Especially now that they've gotten a good look at us?"

Xael

First Post
Pyrex said:
Raner nods at Belaver, then turns toward Lylamwyn. "How do we track someone who can look like anyone? Especially now that they've gotten a good look at us?"
"Frankly, we don't. We might notice that the someone has an aura of Illusion magic around him, but otherwise we're pretty much helpless.", Lylamwyn answers to Raner.

Speaking to the whole group this time, he continues: "It seems that we're at a dead end right now, concerning the possible cultists in Hommlet. Lord Burne asked me - well, us - to go and seal the Obelisk and Portal we found at the Moathouse. Seeing as we lack anything better to do, I'm hoping you would be ready for another trip to the moathouse, hopefully a much shorter one this time. Then there's the question of whether or not to avoid the Dragon, but Elmo seems to be too busy to deal with it, so unless somebody objecst, we might as well try to kill it on the way.

Then we also have quite a large amount of loot we got from our trip, and I think that Hommlet is a bit too small of a place to correctly identify, even less sell them. I think a trip to Verbobonc would be in order, either before or after the trip back to the Moathouse.

Any other ideas?"

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

“And Festrath might be there still... There is also something about Maridosen, she went to Jaroo yesterday, pretty angry as Yundi told me. Good thing Vesta fired her, if she really was the one who poisoned her. I'm just glad, that Vesta is the person I believed she is, I couldn't imagine her being in league with these crazy fools.”

Endur

First Post
In the message from Naquent to Dunrat, Naquent mentioned a place called Rastor. Lylamwyn has heard that Rastor is a trading post in the Lortmil Mountains where Orc Tribes trade with unscrupulous human merchants. (Knowledge Geography 17+5=22)

The party also has the 1000 year old scroll written in a language that they can't read. Toriah suggests bringing the scroll to Hommlet's local Sage, Todariche Nem, the most learned scholar in the area. Todariche looks at the scroll and pronounces that it is written in an obscure dialect of Ancient Suel. He says to come back the next day and he'll have a translation ready.

Todariche says he was able to translate it, but even he doesn't have a clue what the words mean. He thinks it is describing a ritual from the Ancient Suel Imperium.

thurible and to fuel a torch of revealing are only two of its many uses.

The Black Cyst
Now, worthless one, you will learn of the Black Cyst. When the appropriate rituals and sacrifices have been completed and the proper magicks cast, it is possible to open a doorway through the cosmos to the very doorstep of our Master’s prison. Do not be deceived into thinking that this brings you any closer to glimpsing His infinite madness, fool. The walls of the Cyst are to you as a box made of adamantine is to an ant. Whatever foul magics hold the Dark Lord in His slumber, they are beyond anything that you can aspire to.

As always, you can discern the touch of our Master by the intense cold. Magic or specially prepared vestments are required if you wish to avoid frostbite. No light devised on this world will function in a Black Cyst, which is as it should be. This is another sure sign of the power of the Dark Lord, and only a greater fool than you will be without his own source of light, as I have shown you earlier how to deal with this.

Note, worm, that though I refer to ‘the’ Black Cyst, there can be more than one. It is believed that all of the Master’s greater temples had their own Cyst, which they each used for differing purposes. Every Cyst that is created weakens the Dark Lord’s prison and allows more of His power to escape. Lest you be so foolish to think that He can be freed through creation of Black Cysts, I will detail their creation below. It is no trivial task.

First, you must acquire a gem to use as a seed and conduit for the Cyst. The gem should be black, at least the size of a child’s fist, and either flawless or cut so as to remove all flaws. The gem must be kept in the room which you will use to access the Black Cyst, and this chamber must be lightless and unhallowed. Throughout the following rituals no light must enter the chamber or the gem is ruined and you will have to begin again.

On the next dark of the moon, you must steep the gem in the fresh heartblood of a child or virgin who has been sacrificed in the Dark Lord’s name. This must be done for the next thirty-three new moons. Remember, lackwit, all must be done in complete darkness or everything is for naught!

On the full moon following each sacrifice, a priest or arcanist loyal to the Master must sacrifice a sentient being (any will do) and call for a miracle in His name, worded thusly: ‘May all light cease to exist and darkness rule over all.’ Yes, fool, I know that such a wish will never be granted. The Master will hear you, though, and send a thread of His power to you. Once again, bathe the gem in the heartblood of the sacrifice.

As the thirty-third new moon approaches, begin harvesting the eyes, tongues, and ears of sentient creatures. Thirty-three of each must be collected, and each must be from a different creature. The eyes must come from creatures who have seen a sacrifice in the Dark Lord’s name, the tongues from creatures who have spoken His name, and the ears from creatures who have heard His Name. These must be the last things the creatures see, say, or hear, and the creatures must be alive when their organs are taken. Preserve these in fluids, take them to the chamber where you will access the Black Cyst, and arrange them in a circle about the seed gem.

In the days between the penultimate new moon and the thirty-third, you must prepare the ritual that will enable you to call forth the entrance to the Cyst. This ritual should include the sounding of a horn. As you are no doubt a simpleton, I must instruct you to be sure that the mere sounding of the horn is not the sole trigger - there must be other conditions set, lest the portal be opened by some ignorant lesser priest or interloper.

On the night of the thirty-third new moon, perform the sacrifice and bathe the gem as you have before. Renew the spell of unhallowing, and as you perform the ritual you have devised, call upon another miracle in the name of the Dark Lord - ‘Let me see what no eye can, let me hear that which is soundless, and let my voice carry to the place that is forbidden.’

If you have risen above your incompetence and followed my instruction properly, you will behold a part of the greatness of the Master, and be brought closer to Him. You will have no more secure vault for the Dark Lord’s unholy relics or no safer refuge should you bring trouble upon yourself.

Xael

First Post
"So, we now have a scroll that contains instructions of an ancient, evil ritual of summoning some dark god. Why do I have a feeling that we shouldn't let this fall to the hands of the cultists? Unless they already have a copy, that is. But now to more important matters.

Where to?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases