Flight of the Resistance (Star Wars)

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok combat questions.
1) Is there a melee penalty with blasters?
2) Is there something akin to an opportunity attack for leaving an adjacent square?

1) If you mean firing while Engaged (i.e. in melee), yes a Ranged (Light) weapon like a pistol gets +1 Difficulty die, while a Ranged (Heavy) weapon like a rifle gets +2 Difficulty dice.

Furthermore, any opponent engaged with a character when the character makes a ranged attack (no matter who the target is), may add a Boost to his next Brawl or Melee check against that character. He automatically loses this bonus if he and character are no longer engaged with each other.

If you mean firing into melee and wanting to avoid friendly fire.... If a target is Engaged, then upgrade a Difficulty die [Difficulty to Challenge], and on a Despair result an ally gets hit.

2) No, there are no opportunity attacks. Probably a design choice to avoid getting mired in tactical "counting squares" style combat.

That said, if there's something you want to attempt, I'm happy to adapt the rules to make it happen.

Contemplating a surprise attack from above but trying to descern my odds of success with surprise on my side.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

I will say that, taking into account all the stormtroopers and their vehicles, you're facing very deadly opposition (like [MENTION=6788545]xynthoros[/MENTION] was saying in-character).

The rules-as-written don't say much about mingling personal scale & vehicle/ship scale, except that planetary close range is slightly farther than personal extreme range...which means that the rules imply vehicles/ships can move anywhere they want at the personal scale as 1 maneuver.

But we need to apply common sense. For example, the AT-FRC is a walker, and even though its Speed is 2 and the heavy speeders have a Speed 2 (slower than normal speeders due to being rough rainforest terrain adapted), you'd expect on a straightaway for a speeder to outpace a walker, and for a walker to just outpace an individual on foot (though not by much).

What I'm trying to get at is that if your position is revealed, it's not going to be too hard for the troopers in vehicles to close on your position fast.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Well, I'm not sure Rico would know that information, would he? I mean, it's not like he's communicating with Rex is he?

But the AT-FRC walker is to his southwest. Normally its sensors extend to Medium planetary scale range (~50 km), but Rex managed to reduce their functional range to Short planetary scale (up to several dozen km, which I interpreted in the uneven terrain of Kabal's rainforests as 5 km).

I believe the intention with droid PCs is that you only have built-ins that are described explicitly in the species description for droids or that you purchase. This is to avoid a droid PC starting with lots of free equipment "because droids in the movies had it."

If a Fusion Lantern was overkill for what you wanted (it's a light, heater, and power source), I think it would be reasonable to include a built-in flashlight (50 credits, encumbrance 0, rarity 0) if you wanted and had the money to spend.
Actually a glow rod is only 10 credits.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6788545]xynthoros[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801242]GreenKarl[/MENTION] [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION]
Here's my FFG Star Wars Cheat Sheet as a PDF on Google Drive. Still a work in progress, but so far I've included some essentials in 6-pages:

• Skill list with characteristics & descriptions (and social skill counters)
  • Dice & Results
  • Difficulty (and how that translates to combat ranges)
  • Opposed & Assisted Checks
  • Destiny Points
  • Skill Examples of Spending extra successes, advantages, threats, triumphs, and despairs
  • Range Bands, both Personal and Planetary scales (and maneuvers required to move between them)
  • Ongoing Effects
  • Environmental Effects, including Concealment, Dangerous Atmospheres, and Falling Damage
  • Combat Examples of Interpreting extra successes, advantages, threats, triumphs, and despairs at Personal and Planetary scales
  • Chase Rules

I'll be adding more on combat & damage and vehicles/starships, maybe a few other things as I compare other GM screens and cheat sheets on the web.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] Good! That's what I am hoping. I'll update it later this week when I have time.

Also I realized that when you were asking about the AT-FRC walker's sensors being unidirectional or omnidirectional, you were thinking of a General Purpose Scanner (AoR p.191) like Rex has built in.

[SECTION]Common scanners are usually small, handheld devices
designed to sense and record a variety of data. Simple
and rugged, scanners are used by military scouts and
Rebel cells for tracking and observing enemy movements.
Depending on the make and model, a scanner can detect
nearby life signs, heat signatures, different sources of
radiation, the source and direction of various sounds, or
any combination thereof. Some models scan in all directions,
while others are unidirectional and must be pointed
in the desired direction for scanning. Some even have
integrated metal detectors and the ability to intercept
and record comlink traffic. Scanners have an operational
range usually up to one and a half kilometers.[/SECTION]

Scanners are more of a personnel/individual scale thing, whereas sensors are a starship/vehicle/base thing. Might be some exceptions to this, but by and large that's how they're differentiated in Star Wars.

Remove ads