Extra Spell Feat

Shellman

First Post
Does the Extra Spell Feat allow a spell caster to gain access to a spell off another spellcaster spell list?

Can a Warmage who casts specific spells (mostly evocation, conjuration and some necromancy and transmutation) off the Wizard/ Sorcerer spell list to learn Assay Resistance if he takes the Extra Spell feat?

It is on the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, but not on the Warmage Spell list. The feat specifically states that it designed to allow a spellcaster to learn a spell that they normally would not have access to or the ability to research.

Thanee

First Post
Nope, you cannot learn spell from other class lists that way.

The part about wizards only means, that if they are somehow hindered from spell research or limited in the spells they can learn from scrolls or teachers, then the feat could give them access to any spell from their class list, but really, the feat is simply not useful for them, but rather for sorcerers.

The feat would have to specifically say, that it adds new spells to the casters class spell list, otherwise it's impossible to cast these spells. Arcane Disciple is a feat, which does so, and also says so specifically.

Bye
Thanee

personally, i think the feat should allow the character to select any spell, from any list. now before the "that's overpowered" flaming begins, think about it: the spell must be lower level then the max level you can cast, and it takes a feat to learn it. that's very expensive, and because of the timing of feat gain, the character is probably going to be 4 or even 5 levels higher then the character that can cast the same spell normally. also, learning one spell from another list is not going to lead to insane combinations, at least not that i can think of.

if i was running a game i would allow the feat to be used exactly as it reads.

radmod

First Post
I have to disagree that you cannot use it.
A warmage is essentially a sorcerer. Like a sorcerer he has a limited number of spells he knows. This feat allows you "to learn one additional spell." So, by the RAW, you can take it to learn a spell you do not know.

Vegepygmy

First Post
So, by the RAW, you can take it to learn a spell you do not know.
By the RAW, you cannot learn spells that are not on your class spell list. Extra Spell does not explicitly exempt itself from the general rule, so the general rule still applies.

Remove ads