Pathfinder 2E Wizard Changes in Pathfinder 2e Remaster

Two blog posts from Paizo detail changes coming to the Wizard class.

Paizo released a preview of the changes coming to the wizard class for the Pathfinder Player Core and GM Core updates to Pathfinder 2nd Edition.

PZO2121_wallofthorns_2000x1333.png

The blog post from Senior Designer James Case discusses the removal of the eight schools of magic. Rather than dividing the wizard class by spell category, the new arcane schools will be based on actual academic study paths in Golarion. Schools previewed in the blog post include the School of Battle Magic, the School of Civic Wizardry, and the School of Mentalism.

A second blog post from Pathfinder Lead Designer Logan Bonner discusses more changes to the wizard class. The term “spell level” is being replaced with “spell rank”, the aforementioned changes to spell schools, and changes to focus spells and the Refocus action.

One of the big changes discussed is the removal of spell components. According to Bonner, the change was made because spell components were highly tied to OGL content, were mostly redundant with traits, had many exceptions for classes (specifically bard, cleric, druid, and sorcerer) to allow those classes to function, and the designers wanted to give more freedom for classes in how they cast spells.

The blog post also goes into detail on changes being made to spell statistics and proficiencies affecting multiclassing, updates to cantrips both for player characters and monsters, and changes to some of the spells.

Full details about changes can be found in the Remaster Core Preview file available in PDF format.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

R_J_K75

Legend
The books are getting streamlined so it's easier to find the relevant rules, but the rules will still basically be the same as they've been. As much as I'd like to recommend it because I enjoy it, it doesn't sound like your type of game if you want a low amount of crunch.

Definitely give the basic rules a skim through on Archives of Nethys and see what you think before buying anything.
Thanks! I think ShadowDark is probably my ideal levels of rules from what I've browsed through in the pdf. Still waiting on my hard copy. From what I'm gathering here PF2E is probably not for me. My short-term memory isn't very good anymore and we play every other week for 3-4 hours, so probably not enough frequency to learn the system to give it a fair chance. None of us in our group spend too much time outside of our actual games reading as much as we used to so the more streamlined the system the better.

Thanks! I think ShadowDark is probably my ideal levels of rules from what I've browsed through in the pdf. Still waiting on my hard copy. From what I'm gathering here PF2E is probably not for me. My short-term memory isn't very good anymore and we play every other week for 3-4 hours, so probably not enough frequency to learn the system to give it a fair chance. None of us in our group spend too much time outside of our actual games reading as much as we used to so the more streamlined the system the better.
Yeah, we switched to PF2e in April and play weekly so playing that frequently helped learn the rules.

ShadowDark does look really good. I'm looking to get a more casual open-table game off the ground and it's on my list of games I'm debating between for that purpose.

R_J_K75

Legend
ShadowDark does look really good. I'm looking to get a more casual open-table game off the ground and it's on my list of games I'm debating between for that purpose.
Wish I could give you some details but I've yet to read it fully yet, although it does look like a concise and quick read

Wish I could give you some details but I've yet to read it fully yet, although it does look like a concise and quick read
I've skimmed the PDF, but I'm waiting on the print book to give it an indepth read. PDFs are nice for play since you can easily search them, but I'm old so I like the dead tree edition if I'm reading the entire book.

Edit: which means I'll likely end up buying the remaster books for PF2e despite me initially being kinda meh towards them. The more I hear, the more I think I'll like them.

Seems Paizo is using this opportunity to excise a lot of legacy components not longer useful and/or necessary: characteristic points, alignment, spell components, confusing "spell level" naming...

I approve that.
Yep. I wish D&D could do the same thing, but there is too much baggage with that name. 4e tried to many of these and was reviled for it

Vincent55

Adventurer
spell components add resource management and a limit on how many times to us something, also add more detail and options to the game. Like having power components like dragon horn to do enhanced versions of a spell like maximizing it and such (without adding meta to the spell) could be done on the fly.

spell components add resource management and a limit on how many times to us something, also add more detail and options to the game. Like having power components like dragon horn to do enhanced versions of a spell like maximizing it and such (without adding meta to the spell) could be done on the fly.
ya that isnt in 5e or pf2e

Remove ads

Remove ads