Hypothetical Question about future D&D

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Over in another thread -- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=144708 -- the question was asked if folks would abandon D&D if D&D4e when it comes out. A number of replies gave an answer equating to a flat out "no", they would abandon a 4e. That they would ALWAYS play D&D.

This sparked an odd thought (I have a lot of these). What if, at some point down the line, some other game company purchased D&D from Hasbro/WotC? And then they took and slapped the brand on their own house system (D&D Storyteller? D&D GURPS? D&D Palladium?)?

Would the folks who said that they would always play D&D care about the underlying system? Or are they playing it for the name?

As I said, it was just an odd thought, and so I thought that I would also share it.... :D

Masked Otaku

First Post
Rasyr said:
This sparked an odd thought (I have a lot of these). What if, at some point down the line, some other game company purchased D&D from Hasbro/WotC? And then they took and slapped the brand on their own house system (D&D Storyteller? D&D GURPS? D&D Palladium?)?

Would the folks who said that they would always play D&D care about the underlying system? Or are they playing it for the name?

Partially for the name.

But D&D just wouldn't be D&D without classes and levels.

Sure I can run a game in Grayhawk or Forgotten Realms setting, but it wouldn't really be D&D {to me}.

I have ran fantasy games using Fuzion, GURPS, even Silhouette and Story Teller in Forgotten Realms, but it's just not D&D.

Last edited:

Sado

First Post
That's a good question. How radically did 3E depart from earlier versions? I really only got into D&D when 3E came out. How different of a game is 3E from the previous edition? I know it had the same ability scores and a lot of the same termionolgy, but how much changed?

caudor

Adventurer
It is not time yet, but when the time comes for D&D 4e, I'll most likely keep right on playing.

However, if the entire system is drastically changed (instead of evolves)...like getting rid of the character/level system, I'll have a very difficult time accepting that. It should be somewhat backward compatible.

The reason I play D&D right now is that I like it.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I play D&D because I like the system. If somebody were to buy out the company and change the system radically, I wouldn't bother playing it unless the new system was also fun.

I certainly wouldn't spend money on "GURPS Greyhawk" or "Forgotten Realms Rifts" or similar, for the same reason I don't buy GURPS or Rifts books now. I prefer the system I'm using, and I'll stick with it until the moment I find something better.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sado said:
That's a good question. How radically did 3E depart from earlier versions? I really only got into D&D when 3E came out. How different of a game is 3E from the previous edition? I know it had the same ability scores and a lot of the same termionolgy, but how much changed?
They cleaned up a lot of things, but most of it had precursors in the previous editions (even the prestige class debuted in 1E as the thief-acrobat), and there were a large number of "sacred cows" kept intact in this edition to prevent people feeling like "it's not D&D without armor class/hit points/mind flayers/halflings."

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I certainly don't play D&D for its inspiring core story! :confused:

If D&D switched to GURPS, Tri-Stat or Storyteller, I'd continue to play an OGL Conan- or Iron Heroes- or d20 Modern- or Arcana Evolved- or True20- or Spycraft-derived set of houserules and not bother buying the core books. I'm not terribly fond of either system, though to be fair I haven't played enough Storyteller to say for sure. I usually like dice pools, so perhaps I'd change my mind.

If D&D switched to HERO, I'd be more inclined to play it.

If D&D switched to Silhouette Core, I'd switch over to SilCore again because I'd be able to find players for my favorite system. :D But I'd still use it for late medieval tactical espionage action games with Cthulhu-style magic. Or Spelljammer.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Sado said:

It's a pretty radical break. While it keeps certain 'core features' -- classes, levels, hit points, Tolkien-esque races, alignment -- it also includes a lot that breaks with previous versions of D&D. Some of the most significant changes include: feats, skills (though simpler skill systems were in RC D&D and AD&D), easy multiclassing, more common magic items (and much easier crafting rules), completely different combat system (3e is much more tactical and detailed than ealier editions), a very different power scale (level advancement is much faster in 3e; also, in pre-3e versions of D&D, the power increases per level tapered off significantly after level ten or so, whereas they do not in 3e), prestige classes (though antecedents existed in 1e and RC D&D), and many other things.

In my own view, D&D 3e is effectively a new game -- a new system with an old label. My 'simple test' for this is that it is very difficult to convert pre-3e material into 3e rules (it requires a lot of work), whereas it is very easy to convert material between different versions of pre-3e D&D (e.g. 1e AD&D to 2e AD&D, or 1e AD&D to RC D&D).

This is not a bad thing (despite the fact that people strangely freak out on these boards whenever I make this point). Rather, my point is that the similarity between 3e D&D and pre-3e D&D is about as strong as the similarity between AD&D and Tunnels and Trolls or MERP. Or, to put the point in another way, when I first read the 3e books I thought: "So, they revised D&D to be like Rolemaster!" (Note: different people had different associations when reading 3e -- e.g. some people thought it obviously borrowed from Runequest, others GURPS, and so forth. 3e borrowed from many different games, but it was clearly a radical departure from pre-3e D&D.)

Again, the fact that 3e is effectively a 'new game' IMO is not a bad thing, especially since there were many systems back before 3e that I preferred to AD&D (e.g. MERP, Rolemaster, Runequest, etc.), and some of my favourite features from those other systems were incorporated into 3e. (Despite that, 3e is still not my favourite version of D&D -- I prefer the RC version, or C&C if it counts, but my own tastes are neither here nor there for the purposes of my point.)

In short, the changes were pretty radical. :cool:

As for Rasyr's question, It'll be interesting to see if the 3e diehards join the people who still play 1e and OD&D over at Dragonsfoot.org once WotC 'upgrades' to 4e. Today's hip gamer is tomorrow's grognard. ;)

Remove ads