Hypothetical Question about future D&D

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
My players would not be interested in learning a new set of rules, with the possible exception of some sort of simplified d20 such as True20. So no, I would not switch. We're going to keep on playing with the rules set we now have, or switch to True20 when this campaign ends. It won't matter what happens to the D&D brand to us.:)

Storm Raven

First Post
William Ronald said:
Rangers in the 1E books was a regular class, which did not have to take levels of fighter or druid. Bards were required to have some levels of fighter and thief, before becomink a bard. Note that one of the problems with the 1st edition bard was that many people assumed the 10d6 was in addition to the hit dice gained as a fighter or a rogue. This often lead to the Beserker with the Banjo syndrome as someone I used to know called it. :D

Apparently TSR believed that the 10d6 was in addition to the hit dice gained as a fighter and rogue. Check out the bard NPC in the 1e module L2 The Assassin's Knot.

Turjan

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
My disposable income right now is more than my full income as a teenager.
Statistical concerns aside, I can tell you that it's the same with me. Nevertheless, today's teenagers from middle class families have, on average, a lot more disposable income than when I was young. There's a reason why companies spend huge amounts of money for ads targeting this group.

the Jester

Legend
William Ronald said:
Note that one of the problems with the 1st edition bard was that many people assumed the 10d6 was in addition to the hit dice gained as a fighter or a rogue. This often lead to the Beserker with the Banjo syndrome as someone I used to know called it. :D

Er- why wouldn't it have been?

IIRC it was pretty explicit- they did not gain a HD at 1st level bard, after all.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Storm Raven said:
Apparently TSR believed that the 10d6 was in addition to the hit dice gained as a fighter and rogue. Check out the bard NPC in the 1e module L2 The Assassin's Knot.

More than a matter of belief, it was a matter of reading the rules... :)

6-sided Dice for Accumulated Hit Points shows an asterisk after the initial"0" to indicate that the bard has as many hit dice as he or she has previously earned as a fighter (plus the possible addition of those earned as a thief if that class level exceeds the class level of fighter). All bard hit dice (and additional hit points) are additions to existing hit dice - none are lost for becoming a bard.

Remove ads