Metropolis (Slaves to the City) - Chapter Two

Phoenix

First Post
The heat was unbearable to most and without a cool breeze for relief; many sought the shelter of alehouses to whet their whistle during the hottest part of the day. The heat had not let up for a week and people were beginning to mention that the heat was unnatural, that some magic had conjured it to punish the city.

In the stained light of the hot afternoon an elderly man staggered through the streets of the city, seemingly crazed and confused about his surroundings. His mouth babbled sounds that was no language, his arms and legs often failed him, sending him tumbling into the dusty streets. If anyone chose to look, they would see the look of wonder in his eyes, the look of someone that had finally found his purpose in life.

******​

Ru sweltered even in the shadows, this heat was unrelenting. He watched the smaller buildings that were shadowed by the mighty Illiuan Tower, his eyes searching for his target. This area of The Apartments* was a little out of Ru's field, but recently Ari had felt the need to bring a handful of new streets under his 'protection'.

His eyes eventually drifted to the ramshackle stone building that seemed to be mainly populated by dwarves and slowly shook his head. He couldn't believe what he was about to do, where he was about to go...there were just some things that Ari demanded that were just...wrong.

An old wooden sign dangled above the front door of the building and was the only thing that betrayed the place for what it was. The sign read 'The Throbbing Vein' and had a picture of a dwarven miner holding his pick in a very suggestive manner.

There was something very wrong about a dwarven brothel...

******​

Whenever he felt uncomfortable his hand always drifted to rest on the pommel of his blade, today was no different. Jackal's latest recruit was moving through the crowd between the massive towers of The Apartments*, searching for a target that would pay off.

There was little real Law in The Apartments, even in Metropolis as a whole, should the little Wasp get caught then justice would probably be swift and painful for him. Wasp was little more than eight years old when Jovik found him starving on the streets, but his fingers had proved nimble enough to excel in his chosen profession.

The child paused near an elderly man dressed in tattered clothes that perhaps were once quite expensive, then let his hands dance across the man's belt before moving away casually as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Poetry in motion, Jovik new that this kid was a natural. He watched as the child moved back through the crowd towards Jovik's hidey hole on top of the Yilliap Alehouse. Wasp could not possible see what Jovik could see though, a yellow robed man had spotted the child and was slowly weaving through the crowd towards him. There was no way that Wasp could make the distance before being cut off, and he wouldn't be able to hear Jovik voice over the noise of the marketplace.

******​

Nikolai's old bones creaked as he rose slowly from his favourite sitting chair amongst the clutter that was his Apartment. Living in The Apartments was not the safest area of Metropolis to live in, but the rent was cheap and the people than ran the protection rackets in the area were not too bad. He had everything he needed in his little shop below him, everything that mattered nowdays anyway.

A dingling noise down stairs warned Nikolai of a customer in his shop, either that of more people looking for money that he didn't have.

"It's a human, doesn't look like a ganger either." Quoth peered through the cracks in the floor, cheking in on the man that walked below them. "There's something different about him though y'know? Smells kinda like a paying customer."

The trip down the stars was not a painful one, but one that Nikolai often opted to take slowly, his bones were not as strong as they once were.

Standing before a small carving of an elven poet, a large man standing over six feet tall carefully rolls a second statuette about in his hands, slowly studying it. He turns at the sound of the stairs creeking and smiles as Nikolai finally makes it into the shop and behind the counter.

"Good Morning Mr Garrick. My name is Professor Thialon of the Society for Knowledge, I've come to ask for you help good sir..."

[sblock]*Taken from Collen's Guide to the Bards of Metropolis (entry named The Ghost Hound):
He was born in The Apartments, 7 tall stone spires with hundreds of floors and a maze of rooms, corridors and staircases. All interconnected by bridges, tunnels and magical portals. All of the races of Metropolis have legends regarding the creation of The Apartments and no two of those legends is the same. The only thing that is common in the legends is the fact that somewhere in the vertical labyrinth something is hidden. Whether that something is benevolent or malign is unknown but every race has representatives searching for whatever it is. The Apartments are a constant skirmish, a war of attrition. Sure, a race may hold a particular series of rooms or even a floor or two for anywhere from weeks to months. In fact the Killi-kelli-hek, a barbaric, flesh-eating breed of dwarf, have inhabited the same three floors in one of the towers for the last 73 years. Recently the Killi-kelli-hek have become agitated and expansionist. Where as before they would hunt in small groups for meats and goods they are now moving through The Apartments in greater numbers. Hound believes that someone is using the Killi-kelli-hek to further their own ends, there is no other logical reason why they would all of a sudden become more aggressive - is there?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Nikolai scowls vaguely at the man for a second, resenting the intrustion into the peace of his afternoon. He once again curses the day that he ever took over this shop from Emelda. It was a lot easier when he just lived here. Then he sighs heavily. A trip to the Throbbing Vein earlier in the week had left him strapped for cash, and if the damn bird was right this Thialon might be his solution.

However, it never does to seem too accessible, just makes people walk all over you. And so he seats himself on the stool behind the counter and beckons the man over to him, with a vaguely bored and bleary-eyed expression on his face. He pauses as if trying to make his eyes focus on Thialon even as he racks his mind for any information about this society he mentioned.

"Well what is it you want then? Be quick about it, 'cause I ain't got all day to listen to ya."

He reaches up and scratches an itch on the side of his face as he awaits an answer.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Ru opens the front door of the brothel without being asked. Best to get this over as quickly as possible. And try not to notice the noises coming from the back rooms.

He rests his quarterstaff on his shoulder like you'd carry a fishing pole, casual and easy. But there's no mistaking that this is a weapon. For all that he carries it lightly, Ru knows its presence, especially in the brothel, will be an implicit threat. Then again, Ru himself is Ari's walking threat, so it all works out.

Ru saunters over to the front desk, taking advantage of his height to stare down at whoever's working the front. He smiles, though this--like everything else--carries a hint of menace.

"I'll be seeing the proprietor now," he says. It's not a question.

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik signals to another of his pack. The littlest one, Mouse comes over. Jovik picks him up, "See that man in the yellow robe over there" he says. Mouse nods with the mark. "Run over as fast as you can and kick him him the shins, hard. Then run north, through the Apartments and head back after an hour in the alleys. Got it?" With that young scam runs off, dodging expertly through the crowd, slipping through where no adult could pass through. Jovik leans down to the remaining member of the pack, Kuni. "If Wasp makes it across, tell him to get lost in the alley's for awhile. Don't be seen with him though. Mouse should give you a minute or two." Kuni nods in understanding, and steps back into the shadow of the alley, a watchful eye on Wasp.

With that Jovik slips into the crowd, moving with them, but in a purposeful manner, until he is across the street, watching from a safer vantage point what is about to happen to his daily profit.

Phoenix

First Post
hafrogman said:
Nikolai scowls vaguely at the man for a second, resenting the intrustion into the peace of his afternoon. He once again curses the day that he ever took over this shop from Emelda. It was a lot easier when he just lived here. Then he sighs heavily. A trip to the Throbbing Vein earlier in the week had left him strapped for cash, and if the damn bird was right this Thialon might be his solution.

However, it never does to seem too accessible, just makes people walk all over you. And so he seats himself on the stool behind the counter and beckons the man over to him, with a vaguely bored and bleary-eyed expression on his face. He pauses as if trying to make his eyes focus on Thialon even as he racks his mind for any information about this society he mentioned.

"Well what is it you want then? Be quick about it, 'cause I ain't got all day to listen to ya."

He reaches up and scratches an itch on the side of his face as he awaits an answer.

[sblock]Knowledge-local (DC 15) +15 - Success

The Society of Knowledge is a moderately funded organization that is dedicated to the persuit of knowledge. Though it has no special connection to the mystic arts, some of the members are indeed wizards and priests of many backgrounds. The Society commonly funds research teams to explore the sprawling Metropolis in order to learn more of the lost history of the city, as well as the hundreds of secrets that the streets hold. There are many Chapter Houses throughout the suburbs of Metropolis, but no offical 'home office'.
Members of the Society of Knowledge can be found investigating almost anything, and it is well known that if they seek your assistance for any reason, then you are assured in being well compansated for your time.
[/sblock]

Thialon's nervously eager smile betrays his excitement as he seats himself on a rickety chair near Nikolai. He opens his mouth to speak, then something crosses his mind and he digs out a small vial from his pocket that contains a strange yellow fluid, placing it on the table before the gnome.

"Mr Garrick, I know that you usually don't take commissions from people, but your knowledge of Alchemy in these parts is almost..." he stutters a little in excitement, "...legendary. I was hesitant to come and see you at first, but I know that few of the others in my field would be able to help me with this."

He pauses for a second, seeing the apathy in Nikolai's eyes. Reaching into his jacket he pulls out a small purse of coins and opens it onto the table, allowing the gold coins to spill out.

"There are thirty crowns there, just to start off of course, your time is worth more to me than that. I need you to find out what this yellow liquid is for me, it's very important!"

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Ru opens the front door of the brothel without being asked. Best to get this over as quickly as possible. And try not to notice the noises coming from the back rooms.

He rests his quarterstaff on his shoulder like you'd carry a fishing pole, casual and easy. But there's no mistaking that this is a weapon. For all that he carries it lightly, Ru knows its presence, especially in the brothel, will be an implicit threat. Then again, Ru himself is Ari's walking threat, so it all works out.

Ru saunters over to the front desk, taking advantage of his height to stare down at whoever's working the front. He smiles, though this--like everything else--carries a hint of menace.

"I'll be seeing the proprietor now," he says. It's not a question.

[sblock]Intimidate check (DC11 ) +13 - Success
[/sblock]

Standing before the main desk it is hard for Ru to ignore the gyrating moments sneaking through the cracks in the curtains behind the doorman. There are moans of pleasure and terrible music coming from within, as well as smells that Ru cannot place, for the better.

The dwarf that stands at the door must be the bouncer, wearing a chainshirt and holding a small axe in one hand, he looks up at Ru with a warey eye before grunting, walking to the curtain and sticking his head through. There is something yelled in dwarven before the doorman returns, "Ill beya minat."

Assailed by sounds and scents, Ru watches dirty patrons covered in the filth of the streets enter through the curtain with money that they had probably begged for. For several minutes Ru is kept waiting until suddenly the curtain is thrown wide open and the owner lurches out.

Standing over nine feet tall Ru had heard of creatures like this in the city, covered in tough green-brown skin and intermittant white patch of hair, the Troll is dressed in tattered and ill-fitting business clothes. He pounds his way across the room to where Ru waits, looking down at the monk, and half-roars. "And vat iz eet zat yoo whant?'

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Jovik signals to another of his pack. The littlest one, Mouse comes over. Jovik picks him up, "See that man in the yellow robe over there" he says. Mouse nods with the mark. "Run over as fast as you can and kick him him the shins, hard. Then run north, through the Apartments and head back after an hour in the alleys. Got it?" With that young scam runs off, dodging expertly through the crowd, slipping through where no adult could pass through. Jovik leans down to the remaining member of the pack, Kuni. "If Wasp makes it across, tell him to get lost in the alley's for awhile. Don't be seen with him though. Mouse should give you a minute or two." Kuni nods in understanding, and steps back into the shadow of the alley, a watchful eye on Wasp.

With that Jovik slips into the crowd, moving with them, but in a purposeful manner, until he is across the street, watching from a safer vantage point what is about to happen to his daily profit.

With training that Jovik has passed on well, the children move into the streets determined to help Wasp elude his persuer. By the time that Jovik had made it to street level and across to a better vantage point the action was over, he could still see the yellow robed man in the crowd, but his wards had eluded them. Kuni tugged at Jovik's pants, looking up at him without speaking, but Jovik simply knew that that was a signal that the little one had done what he had told him to do.

Jovik turned to look back at the yellow robed man once more, keeping an eye on him in case he made any further moves. There was a gesture from his hands in the crowd, something that the crime lord couldn't quite make out, and then the wave appeared.

Like water lapping against a shore, energy came from the yellow robe like a wave, pouring through the crowd and freezing everyone in place. Leaves hung motionless in the air, people's mouths frozen in mid conversation, everything stopped.

The wave rushed over Jovik too, there was no escaping it, but nothing happened to him. The yellow robe began to pick his way through the crowd, searching for something, Wasp? Jovik's looked about, searching for his children.

Through the crowd there were other movements, the children were fleeing into the streets, they were not affected by this phenominon. Kuni's meek little voice called up to him, "Jovik, can we go now?"

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
Standing over nine feet tall Ru had heard of creatures like this in the city, covered in tough green-brown skin and intermittant white patch of hair, the Troll is dressed in tattered and ill-fitting business clothes. He pounds his way across the room to where Ru waits, looking down at the monk, and half-roars. "And vat iz eet zat yoo whant?'

Ru licks his lips, thinking coldly that he'll need to have a very painful talk with Ari's informants about the importance of thorough surveillance. Someone was going to be feeling every bruise Ru might take in the next few minutes, and a few more besides. For now, Ru hopes his own skills are enough to at least keep most of his bones intact.

Ru smiles, titling his head up and looking at the troll like he's a close friend rather than a smackdown waiting to happen. "And a good day to you," he says cheerfully. "I do hope you're... keeping cool. Oppressive heat, this."

Hells,
Ru thinks, there's not much point wasting pleasantries on a brute who can barely manage basic Common in the first place. He pushes on, continuing to play the part of the troll's buddy.

"I'm here on behalf a local entrepreneur. You may have heard of him: Ari Turbul? He's had rousing success organizing some of the local businesses into a mutually beneficial ... trade organization, of sorts. Master Turbul's been hearing wonderful things regarding the success of your ... of The Vein, and he's sent me to extend you an offer of membership."

Ru maintains his smile, but only by picturing the many, creative ways he'll be hurting the damnable informants for making him stand here and sound like a broken cart salesman.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Thialon's nervously eager smile betrays his excitement as he seats himself on a rickety chair near Nikolai. He opens his mouth to speak, then something crosses his mind and he digs out a small vial from his pocket that contains a strange yellow fluid, placing it on the table before the gnome.

"Mr Garrick, I know that you usually don't take commissions from people, but your knowledge of Alchemy in these parts is almost..." he stutters a little in excitement, "...legendary. I was hesitant to come and see you at first, but I know that few of the others in my field would be able to help me with this."

He pauses for a second, seeing the apathy in Nikolai's eyes. Reaching into his jacket he pulls out a small purse of coins and opens it onto the table, allowing the gold coins to spill out.

"There are thirty crowns there, just to start off of course, your time is worth more to me than that. I need you to find out what this yellow liquid is for me, it's very important!"

Nikolai sits up a bit straighter in his chair and smiles a little. The gold was of course welcome, but flattery and a challenge were much more welcome currencies. He nods at his visitor's words and picks up the vial. He holds it up to the light and squints at it for a second. He purses his lips and studies it for a long moment before turning to Thialon.

"Hmmph, well you were right to come to me of course. Those idiots down at the apothacary's don't know magewort from their own backsides. . . and the price they try and charge for glass these days! Fifteen gold they said, even though it hardly be worth ten and them will all that fancy jewelery and trying to turn lead into gold. Lead into gold, I ask you! Lead in their heads more like it!

He fades off into a muttered assault on the local competition for a few minutes before suddenly coming back to himself and the business at hand.

"Erhem, well yes. I suspect that I can look into this for you. I don't suppose you'll be telling me where you found it, or why it has you chaps all in a tizzy?"

He looks expectantly at the chap in question.

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Ru licks his lips, thinking coldly that he'll need to have a very painful talk with Ari's informants about the importance of thorough surveillance. Someone was going to be feeling every bruise Ru might take in the next few minutes, and a few more besides. For now, Ru hopes his own skills are enough to at least keep most of his bones intact.

Ru smiles, titling his head up and looking at the troll like he's a close friend rather than a smackdown waiting to happen. "And a good day to you," he says cheerfully. "I do hope you're... keeping cool. Oppressive heat, this."

Hells,
Ru thinks, there's not much point wasting pleasantries on a brute who can barely manage basic Common in the first place. He pushes on, continuing to play the part of the troll's buddy.

"I'm here on behalf a local entrepreneur. You may have heard of him: Ari Turbul? He's had rousing success organizing some of the local businesses into a mutually beneficial ... trade organization, of sorts. Master Turbul's been hearing wonderful things regarding the success of your ... of The Vein, and he's sent me to extend you an offer of membership."

Ru maintains his smile, but only by picturing the many, creative ways he'll be hurting the damnable informants for making him stand here and sound like a broken cart salesman.

The troll looks down at Ru his anger obviously growing as his fists clench tightly and his breath begins to heave. His large face moves to within inches of Ru's, allowing him to smell god-knows whatever he had been eating. A huge smile breaks out across the troll unexpectadly and he begins to boom with laughter.

"Ohhhh, Ari." Suddenly the trolls speech clears to a well pronouced sentence, "I know all about Ari, listen little man, how much does this Ari want from me to leave this little business alone then, I am not an unreasonable man you see. If he can guarentee my people's safety in this neighbourhood, I have no problem with cutting him in."

Remove ads