Touching or Bumping into the Invisible

Arcadio

First Post
There's an invisible guy somewhere over there. So you wander around that area, waving your arms around, trying to bump into him. How is this handled by the rules?

Pretty well, I'd say.

SRD said:
A creature can grope about to find an invisible creature. A character can make a touch attack with his hands or a weapon into two adjacent 5-foot squares using a standard action. If an invisible target is in the designated area, there is a 50% miss chance on the touch attack. If successful, the groping character deals no damage but has successfully pinpointed the invisible creature’s current location. (If the invisible creature moves, its location, obviously, is once again unknown.)

That generally can't happen - unless you are dealing with creatures 3 or more sizes apart, or with creatures that are grappling.

In the first case, treat the attacker's own squares as potential choices (thus, I could attack into my own square and the one directly in front of me). I might even allow creatures larger than medium to consider their whole facing as a single square for this purpose (I'd need to think about it).

If they're grappling, then you already know where the creature is (though it still benefits from a 50% miss chance).

Arcadio

First Post
Then what happens if both creatures are the same size, and the attacker decides to stop in the square that the invisible creature is in? Does he bump into him and get pushed back into his previous square?

Nail

First Post
Yup.

That is, he can't share a square at the end of his move.....unless the creature is much larger (or smaller) than himself.

It's a "freebie".

Nail

First Post
From the SRD:
Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space: Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.

Arcadio

First Post
Well, that answers all of my questions! Clearly I need to do a better job of looking in the SRD. Thanks for all of the help!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases