New Code of Conduct

T

Thogroar

All names

must not...or be construed as an advertisement

So what about names like Kin_Cora, or Vile_evildude? or, for that matter, WizO_Soandso. I mean, aren't those advertisements? The first two are for fictional guilds, but the third is for a real company.... right?

And another question... Do warnings ever expire? I got one a million years ago, does it ever "dissapear", or do I have to constantly watch my "WB"s for fear I'll be booted?

~E

W

WizO_Pounamu

Thogroar said:
So what about names like Kin_Cora, or Vile_evildude? or, for that matter, WizO_Soandso. I mean, aren't those advertisements? The first two are for fictional guilds, but the third is for a real company.... right?

Wizards Community Code of Conduct
advertising or promoting a business or commercial site

Real world businesses or commercial sites (other than the business that owns the chat site, on their own terms) are not permitted to advertise in Wizards Community. People using the message boards to post threads advertising a business or commercial site may be Warned (usually if they continue after a softwarn) no matter if they work for that business or not.
Anyone is able to use Wizards Community so long as they don't cause trouble for anyone, but not to use it as an advertising platform.

And do remember, real world. Players wouldn't get a warning for a name like Carlos'_armory_emporium unless what they used the name for is connected to a real armory emporium, not an ic one.

I don't think name prefixes really count as advertising, they mark what you belong to so that others know. But to cut a long explaination short, no ISRP prefixes I've seen have actually advertised. Most advertising would be like someone saying "come to ________.com where we can solve all your gaming problems".

And by the way. "WizO" isn't really an advertisement, it marks the job. That banner at the top of the page? That's more of an advertisement. If we went around saying "don't forget, ________ book is avaliable now from the Wizards online stores", that'd definetly be advertising (although that's still the company that owns the chat and boards...)... still very annoying in a chat room. ;)

I

Incensius

question: one or two of my characters smoke. It's their personalities and it's the way they act. They don't do stuff like blowing the smoke into people's faces or such, just light up a cigarette and look around or stuff like that. Would that be considered a violation of the new CoC?

W

WizO_Adele

It depends on what you are smoking and how you flaunt it. ;)

Regular tobacco is not a problem. Marijauna is another story altogether.

T

the cold one

in regards to using language other than common, perhaps that should apply to other languages besides english? should it be considered under the same rules as drowish or elvish or whatever-ish? its just as disconcerting to some to have a person speaking in spanish or german or something as it is to see someone talking in dwarvish or whatever. ((now I know that there are folks on here that do not speak/type english as their first language, but they do try))

just a thought

W

WizO_Pounamu

Common = English

As WotC is an english-based Community run by an english-based company, both chat and boards are english-based.

If you chat or post in languages other than english, you must be aware of how much you use etc. It doesn't matter whether it's Dwarven, High Elven, German, Portugese, Celestial, French, pig latin, etc etc etc., if there is too much of it it may be considered Room Disruption because it can be as annoyoing as anyone writing entirely in caps or entirely in "leet speech".
And let's face it, unless the person is honestly without english and/or is getting help in their own language, the only reason to use lots of another language is so that others canot understand what you're saying.

Eg: "Pounamu", Marshal of Juxta and tavern maid of the Crossroads has Common as her second language. There are occasional words of her own language in what she says, especially when she's trying to understand something but if she thinks something or says something in her own language, usually it is marked with *maori* but written in English. Every now and then I can get away with a line or two maximum in Maori for her but that's less than once-in-a-blue-moon (usually situations where what she says is supposed to be particularly potent and foreign and translated for anyone who cares to ask).
But if I were to type everything in maori, I'd soon get pulled up for Room Distruption.

What you can do if you're trying to help someone using a language other than english is to keep it in PMs. When a frustrated new player took to portuguese in the Emporium and was past the point of calming for English, I PMed him in Portuguese. (Tell you what, it gave him quite a surprise to see it, too! :D ) But even if we had been in an ooc room like Live, I wouldn't have struck up conversation in portuguese with him "in the room".
Just keep in mind that even if you're helping someone out, they'll have to switch to english eventually or else they won't get help from anyone else or be able to play. And of course the CoC is still in effect.

If what you're trying to do is have a character speak another language and you don't want others to understand it, (like they would if you said "*elven*{whatever you say written in english}") perhaps you could emote/roleplay the type of gestures and sound but carry the conversation in PMs so that no one can say that they understood.
eg: Pounamu frowns, uttering dark tones of her own language with a sneer
(PMed:) "*maori* Perhaps without your undead minions, dark lord, you could do nothing"

:angel:

W

WizO_Adele

I feel the need to remind everyone that this is in effect and being enforced. When you are banned you will lose every name and every character you have. You cannot remake those characters. You WILL HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH, new storylines, new characters, and new names. There will be no exceptions.

T

Tolarian

Ouch! It seems like getting banned here is an even bigger deal than getting banned in the MTG boards.

W

WizO_Pounamu

Fron the Code of Conduct:
If a member of Wizards.Community has demonstrated he or she cannot behave, the member WILL LOSE ALL of his or her usernames registered at that time. This prevents a user with multiple screen names from misbehaving with one “throw away” screen name while preserving another “good” screen name.

The Code of Conduct is the same across gaming/live chat, isrp chat, isrp boards, dnd boards, MtG boards etc.
The only section I know that is different is the M:tG Online.

The only respect in which it is different may be that in ISRP a character is considered an identity, the same as a screen name is and the other sections don't have characters to look for.

If you earn yourself banned on the boards, you will lose all your boards screen names (and "characters" if in ISRP).

- Pounamu

K

Kami no Kenshin

So, how do the boards specific rules fit into all this? Do....for example, the MotP "Rules of the Road" supercede any CoC rules that might contradict them? Or are CoC rules a "replacement" for these rules?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases