The future of Greyhawk - PreVote Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I think B would be great. I think the eccentricity of characters would reach a different level where you can never be sure exactly what/who you're talking to. That's a highly volatile environment with much opportunity for mysteries and plots...which ya hardly ever see anymore (Least I dont get to see them *sniffles*). It'll be good to have to think again, instead of running around with the toughest char picking fights! I'm up for more knives in the backs and poison! ;)

Vampires would have to to pretend to eat and drink and make their skin seem warm in order to go un noticed, stealing their victims in the quiet hours and leaving no witnesses.. and so on. Could be fun.

Would vampires really have to heat their skin? Or could they possibly deal with not touching peoples? How can you know something's cold unless you feel it?

L

Lain_Ikari

Mistake anyone?!

First off, this new chat system does not appeal to me at all. Second off, what's with all the ristrictions on characters? If these are voted on, most... well ALL of my chars will be limited, and I won't sit around for that. I have many characters with good storylines in progress on this site, and these limitations are frankly annoying. I'm becoming very disappointed by the decisions made by WotC staff. I have spoken to many of my RP buddies and alot said they will drop out if this goes through. Hmmm, where is the fun in that? People RP to make their own characters special and different, putting restrictions on that will cripple a player and to tell the truth the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach. I have tried multiple times to log into the new chat and have been unsuccesfull getting a message saying: "The chat is not availible at this time." when most of my friends are on it at the exact same time. This is just so disappointing. I believe everyone should put more thought into this.

Cirra

First Post
well THIS was nice and announced

okay... first off, this is not the place to be having a discussion like this, the boards are indeed related to wotc's ISRP and yet not everyone who comes to the site to chat even knows about the bloody boards even existing, I only caught on after several several months of rp and even then I was hesitant due to all the posts that were on here allready. You are not announcing theise proposals to anywhere near 100% of the audience that will be affected by the changes!!!!

Aside from that,
I think that if you've built yourself a good story and a good hero to follow through with that story it should not matter the people that she or he meets along the journey of that story. I have not once seen a dicebot used in the clearing or the arena for that matter, so don't you come at me with this by the rules and this is how it is in the world garbage. Each plane of existance is different, and thus the rules apply differently to those on that plane. Gods for some worlds are not all knowing and all seeing, sometimes they are just normal people elevated to something beyond the comprehention of the people there.

I'll admit it, I play a god who visits the tavern quite often, but as the rules indicate quite fairly she has no real power on the plane of greyhawk aside from things she can memorize. Perhaps the rules need to be read more clearly instead on trampling over people's free creativities. Any time you put a restriction on something, on even one person's voice we all suffer.... granted Star Trek Insurection was a terrible movie I think that line is a very powerfull one and I think that it's a point that is being overlooked when making theise restrictions on what we can and can't play as.

I'm off to read what happened to Juxta because I had no say in that decision either. I wouldn't even know about something happening to the site if it wasn't for a friend telling me that something was up and I should check out the boards (thanks monica).

Wizzy has been a fun place for me for the 5 years I've known her, I hope that theise don't pass or I may be forced to part ways with her along with many other people that I've met through her. We would all be sad to part too.

I would hope for option A
but if that is impossible I beleive b is in order.

Nevine

First Post
Lain Ikari said:
First off, this new chat system does not appeal to me at all.

This isn't the place for discussing the new chat, the ISRP moderation team has nothing to do with the change, so there isn't any point in presenting discontent to them. The new chat software is happening, period.

Anyway..

There is a reason there will be two rooms, hopefully one of the two will allow you the "freedom" of charater design that you desire after the votes are in. Some people prefer to have a more restrictive or "traditional fantasy" setting as opposed to "anything goes". It doesn't stifle creativty to have restrictions that are based on setting and environment. Actually, I like to call it a word known as "logic".

Cirra said:
I'm off to read what happened to Juxta because I had no say in that decision either.

We all had a say in what happened to Juxta. That say was hardly ever using the room and heavily favoring the tavern. Juxta needs to replaced with something that people will actually use. And you have say on that replacement, you mouse pointer need only venture here.

In closing, it looks as if either Planescape or the Forgotten Realms will emerge as the new setting. Either one will allow you both the creative freedom you want. No one's imagination is being trampled.

As for the people not knowing about the boards, that will quickly change with the new chat rooms, since they are linked together. Voting will still be going on when they go live, so everyone will have the chance to speak out/vote or blow things out of proportion.

Threatening/promising to leave won't keep things the way they are, or influence decision. We, the patrons, get to vote on all these changes. So, vote.

Kathryn_aka_Kat

First Post
Okay, let me see what this is:

Restricted from CRT completely:
gods, god avatars, children under 12 without an adult, non-intelligent animals

Must be "disguised":
demons, devils

Still under discussion and eventual vote for being "disguised" and/or in human form:
vampires, weres, dragons, drow

Alright, this PROPOSAL (not yet adopted, not even yet up for vote, and will be voted on and not imposed arbitrarily) might effect exactly two of my twenty characters, just because they're drow. And those two would be happy to go to the ex-Juxta room instead to play. If ALL of your characters are affected, maybe you should reconsider how you design your characters even if this doesn't pass.

Cirra

First Post
meh

I'm a reasonable human being and I freely admit when I'm wrong.
First, I understand this is not my site, The owners or whomever in charge should be alowed to change whatever they like because it is a free service that I'm merely partakeing in.

There were several things I was unaware of. I stand corrected in the fact that things may not be as terrible as I presumed, I'm used to threads involving discussions that pit fairness against creativity all too often. It was wrong of me to assume that about this.
My gut reaction blended disguiseing and banning into the same thing. which led me to, yes indeed, blow things out of proportion. I'm sorry for that too.
I was also unaware about getting a vote for myself... I thought I needed to convince some representitive who would vote for me.

I must stand by my conviction that most of people are still unaware of the changes to come and there will be many more people less reasonable than I who will blow their tops come the day of forced change.

I must admit though that I get the sense that someone up the ladder is on some kind of power trip trying to enforce brand new laws and make things change for the better. I hope I am wrong in this too.

I suppose I should end with something positive eh?
I must admit that in the past the difference between the tavern and the emporium has been non-existant... if it is indeed true what you say, nevine, and there are restrictions in one and not the other I think it would be a change for the better.

L

Lain_Ikari

Hmmm...

I didn't say it was the place to discuss the new chat, ya? :p Just decided to throw it in...period. :rolleyes: Anyhow, the vote doesn't interest me, as in myself. Just expressing my opinion. Everyone has their feelings towards this, as do I. And mine seem to be all negative. :p I have been RPing on here for a year and a half, I like it here and wish to stay... but hopefully Option A or if that isn't possible Option B will be chosen, if not then I won't be able to stay. I will just feel too limited. Not sure how it will turn out if we do vote, hope for the best but expect the worst. And, I think I will keep my characters as so, and not take the option of rethinking my creations. I like them just the way they are, and so do many other players. So, I guess that means there is no problem with them, it has to be something else. And if at all possible, I will go to another room to play as them as long as I do not have to force them to shroud themselves in mystery, hopefully there will be some rooms where demons are excepted. If not, then pooey, I will have to use another char. If so, then yay. But my main char is hald demon, and is currently in a crisis time of her story. So, you can understand how I feel, that is if you have feelings yourself. :D I will do like Cirra and end this on a good note: Thanks for trying to make the chat a better place. It is a good idea, though... Nevermind, good job WotC. Like the concept. ;)

W

WizO_Adele

Lain_Ikari - As others have said, this is not the thread to discuss the chat software; you are welcome to do so on the appropriate thread. Please also keep in mind that the software is not complete yet. There is a long list of changes and fixes for the ISRP side of the software and the technicians have not started implementing them yet. Things may look and feel drastically different once those are done.

On the topic of this thread, I'd like to point out that the WizO's nor WoTC's are insisting on these changes. While the WizO staff, largely myself as ISRP lead, has decreed there will be changes we have not set in stone what they will be and are leaving the choices up to the patrons. They are being voted on, by the patrons. These discussions are being held to determine what should be on the vote, what should be considered. So if something wins the vote it will be because a majority of patrons have decreed it is what they want. This is also the reason I have pushed so strongly for two settings, with the idea that one would be less restrictive so that should these restrictive changes go through there is still somewhere for those of the other mind to play. In other words, judging by everything I've seen in this thread and the other and the vote so far I think there will be a place for everyone, and that's exactly what I hoped for.

Cirra - I do not know how else to spread these changes. There is a discussion list for ISRP, ISRP-L that this has been announced on. I have made shouts on the chat site, WizO's have spread the word on their shifts, and I have posted it on the boards. I would GLADLY hear any suggestions you have for getting this information out there more. I am always interested in hearing from a larger audience.

I would be the person on the power trip and I assure you I don't feel all too powerful. ;) I've explained the need behind the change for Juxta and I thought I had explained the desire behind the change for Greyhawk and it is not out of a power trip. I do feel there is a large percentage of patrons that would enjoy having the option to role-play in a more low to medium power level, realistic setting. And no one is going to be automatically booted out. It's all in how you play your characters (and what items are selected, every one of them will be up for vote, just some of them make the core of the proposal and some we considered more negotiable. It's not all or nothing) over a period of time. WizO's will be providing feedback and there will be many chances to learn the rules. This is an attempt to have rules and expect they be followed, but also to allow the majority to work on the honor system.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I'm sure it'll turn out fine. What, with all the wonderful wizo's on side how could it not? I mean, realistically we're gonna end up with both sides of a great bargain. Sure there'll be a few glitches...but nothing that we cant smooth out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases