The future of Greyhawk - PreVote Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davon

First Post
AS has been said, I think that this part of the debate needs to be paused until the vote on the replacement Juxta has been clsoed, and we have found out the full, fair result...even then, depending on the result the exact location may need further votes, as it looks like it will either be FR or Sigil. The 'where' in Sigil would need a vote itself I think, though I doubt it would have much of an impact on this debate unlike the final location of a FR win.

However, as Sigil OR FR would naturaly become the 'high magic' place...compared to Greyhawk that would be correct setting wise....then if one room is going to be 'low magic AND stricter' (the assumtion that those two things WILL be going together) then yes, the Tavern maybe does need to be stricter, though exactly in which ways I think needs, as I said, to be held over till we get a clear idea about the new Juxta room.

(And if you followed my rambling, congrats, you win a patented Dav tickling stick, as certified by those that make fun of Dav....i.e EVERYONE...ummm..was that a good idea?! *hides the poor numbskull*)

Elf_Ariel

First Post
(*Attempts a steal of a patented Dav tickle stick and turns it on him in return for the torture of trying to understand his rambling*)

Honest though, it is a good idea to wait before a specific decision is made. But discussion? I think we can manage to keep an eye on the possibilities. And it makes for an interesting stew anyways ;)

Now at first the strict setting proposal seemed way too strict, but after taking a few minutes to read the comments and then reading it over again, it's not that strict for what it could provide - a roleplaying setting with intrigue and plot, and gossip, and talk, not as many blatantly overpowered characters not knowing what to do with themselves but sit there and look cool - but it still has it's problems.

I'm going to go through each proposed limitations one at a time and see what I'm okay with or not. I'm not saying everyone should do this, just post in the form of paragraphs if you want, I just feel like doing it this way. Now I know this is quite long (it took quite a while to write) but I have plenty of opinions about this.

The spoiler here has each restriction and my corresponding opinion and justification for it. I'm doing this so I never have to post in this thread again after this post. :p If you don’t feel like reading the spoiler, don’t, it's pretty long. Just look at the rest of this post.

[sblock]
Proposed limitations (skeleton, i.e. definitely in the strict setting):
1-1.No gods or god avatars.

No problems for me there. I'm sick of the people who come in with descriptions that give the idea that they're some eternal force of existence and nature.

1-2.No unaccompanied children under the age of 12 allowed in the Tavern.

I've seen some characters who were little children, and I've got to say, that's just ridiculous. Seriously, even if you can think up some reason why they might be there (parents left them and they fell down a magic well/ they're actually a superbeing or something taking the shape of a child / they were polymorphed into the shape of a kid) it's often an annoying and repetitive flogging of the same dead "hey look, this character's a little kid" horse :p , and it's unrealistic to think a tavern would allow an unaccompanied kid going around in its bar. There's no hostility intended here, I just don't think an individual little kid works well when it comes to roleplaying and interacting with adults in a tavern.

1-3.No tech beyond fairly simple clockwork. The setting specifically forbids it.

I've seen some characters who are mechanical golems and such; while they may not like this, I think it'd probably be a good thing to have high amounts of technology explicitly forbidden.

1-4. Restrictions on animals; this means barnyard types and wild animals would not be allowed. Weres and specific animal companions, not included.

Not okay. For one thing, the times I've seen some wild animals role played have been pretty darn amusing. Also, because this includes sentient, independent, intelligent animals such as gamoshinoch, a great, and very well worked character, I'm not okay with it. I can see why non-companion wild animals would be banned from a bar, and I could live with it, I just think that this helps flavor less than it hurts role play. This is a fantasy world, some wild animals should be allowed. Besides, as long as they end up in profit for the bar (i.e. buying steaks for wolves and such) I'm sure the bar owner would be fine with allowing animals in.

1-5. No non-Staff behind the bar or in the kitchen (Which is behind the bar)

Sure.

1-6. Characters such as demons, devils, required be 'in disguise' at all times while in the tavern as on Oerth, demonkind and so forth were sent packing some years ago after traumatic wars. They would not ever show themselves openly in public. Demons are simply despised and the Neutral Ground aspect of the Tavern would be no protection for them.

Of course, sure. This works with the "customers can stay as long as they don't cause trouble" philosophy that often accompanies bars.

1-7. Chronomancy cannot be used to bring future people or items back to the Tavern.

...Have people actually been doing that kind of thing? ... I think this law should be a given...

Proposed limitations (Possible, i.e. might be in the strict setting, depending on a specific vote for each or multiple):

2-1.Drow either be in disguise as the Demons and Devils, or allowed to be themselves *within* the tavern only.

Could you please clarify the first part of this so it doesn't sound like Drows are required to look like Demons and Devils?

But both of these options sound very cool, and I would love to see the tavern to play either role: More of the intellectual, clandestine, gossip, talk and shady dealings center | or provide the oppressed drow with an "underground". (Alright, alright, I won't make any more puns).

2-2.Vampires either be in disguise or otherwise restricted in activities.

Sounds good.

2-3.Weres be welcome in the Tavern but should be in their humanoid forms shortly after arriving up to just before departing.

One amendment to this: or they may be disguised or hidden like demons and other humanoid creatures not of the basic surface creatures

2-4.Familiars be present only in the company of their masters and under their control.

Sure, but perhaps loosely enforced. If a familiar comes in looking for his master, then why not, let him wander around the tables asking, but if a familiar's hanging around with people and joking around independent of their master, then sure, kick 'em out...

2-5.Dragons be in human or human-like form while in the Tavern.

Because the other setting, whether FR or sigil, will be okay with a dragon here or there, then there's no problem in reducing the number of dragon characters. It doesn't seem right to me when a dragon comes into a human tavern in dragon form to order a drink, so I'd be fine with less dragons, but eh...

2-6.A fine or tax on the use of dangerous magic openly in the tavern. Such as slinging fireballs and so forth all about.

As long as this rule only affects spells which are purposely cast to force other players to react to it, or only affects characters in-character, and the punishment doesn’t change to a warning which brings one closer to a character ban or such.

2-7.Limitations on slavery.

Sure. I'm not for people dragging around lizardmen on chains and forcing them to do their bidding with the threat of a whip and brass knuckles.

2-8.Limitations on offworld and/or unique magic.

I like it. I like it. as long as it would make the flavor of the place more clandestine, as in, no spellcasting unless necessary, so spellcasters would have to cast sells away from the watchful eye of employees and such. This should be the type of thing where it's not allowed by the bar's rules, but it's allowed to actually happen in the chat so long as the bar patrons aren't in an IC position to see it. I.e. like demons having to hide and unlike the "no tech" rule, the crime is punished for being seen by the bar employees in character, and not just for happening. I think that'd really work great, and this character’s a mage.[/sblock]

So let’s tally this all up, what am I okay with, what am against?
And by For it, I mean I either storgly support it, or I would like it
to happen, or I’d be okay with it happening

-------------------------------
Proposed Definite limitations in strict setting.
1-1. For
1-2. For
1-3. For
1-4. Against
1-5. For
1-6. For
1-7. For

Proposed Possible limitations in strict setting.
2-1. For either version
2-2. For
2-3. For, but weres should also get to be in disguise
2-4. For, but loosely enforced.
2-5. For
2-6. For, but strict interpretation only
2-7. For
2-8. For

Query One (how to uphold setting restriction)
A permanent room ban for a character seems a little harsh… not that harsh for three strikes, but harsh if people are just innocently ignorant or if they just make a spur of the moment role-playing mistake. What I would suggest is five strikes. Just mark the first two up to a simple mistake or ignorance, that type of thing is bound to happen. And if a vampire occasionally removes his cloak to attack someone, or something else which is in game, that’s fine, as long as the vampire isn’t walking around with his fangs bared and blood on his teeth, and changing into bat form every now and then. Y’know what I mean? If there’s a significant violation, sure, a warning is good, but if it’s something small and irrelevant, or a simple mistake, it doesn’t deserve any significant punishment.

Query Two (Workers at the Tavern)
Yes. Please, please, yes. Just do it. That’s a perfect idea. It needs to happen. Let’s do it. It’s a great idea! It’s absolutely fantastic! Whoever says otherwise is lying through the teeth or delusional! Okay, well maybe not and I respect your opinion, but that’s a good idea.

What am I voting for?
Strict setting, although I'd hate to see a ban on wild animals...
-------------------------------

W

WizO_Siani

A permanent room ban for a character seems a little harsh… not that harsh for three strikes, but harsh if people are just innocently ignorant or if they just make a spur of the moment role-playing mistake. What I would suggest is five strikes. Just mark the first two up to a simple mistake or ignorance, that type of thing is bound to happen.

We already do this. In fact, we give a lot more than a couple of passes for things. We are very aware of the mistakes people make...we make them too. *looks at her collection of Smoothness Awards*

Siani

C

cheyata

Hmmm...

I must say that I agree with what seems to be the current general consensus - B or D. I agree that they are the better options... but am more inclined towards B as this is meant to be the stricter of the two settings... but again, as previously mentioned - the outcome of the room which replaces Juxta will be heavily influential in my decision.

Enough said? But whatever the outcome - I will support it 100%.

C

Cystuni

I'm still waiting on what level the restrictions would be to. I can't vote for something just to find out it's not what I thought it was going to be because it was never properly defined. before this vote starts up. I want a full despriction of all proposed changes.

Nevine

First Post
I don't think the proposed changes for the tavern (on the restricted setting option) can be defined anymore clearly. They are all fairly self-explanatory. If there are any additional things were to be added, I'm sure it would be before we voted and no during or after.

Do you mean to what severity the changes would they be enforced? I suspect, it would involve OOC tells from WizO's first, if by chance the person is new or just wandered into the wrong room. If they were causing a room disruption, then it would be handled accordingly. And if it were in-character, say someone was revealed to be undead, it would provoke a likewise in-character response. More often than not, I would expect the WizO staff to be lenient and not hand out a roomban or the like the first time someone were "exposed".

In all honesty, I'd be more concerned about the ambiguity of the Code of Conduct we are given than how harshly roleplaying rules would be enforced.

C

Cystuni

Nevine said:
I don't think the proposed changes for the tavern (on the restricted setting option) can be defined anymore clearly. They are all fairly self-explanatory. If there are any additional things were to be added, I'm sure it would be before we voted and no during or after.

Do you mean to what severity the changes would they be enforced? I suspect, it would involve OOC tells from WizO's first, if by chance the person is new or just wandered into the wrong room. If they were causing a room disruption, then it would be handled accordingly. And if it were in-character, say someone was revealed to be undead, it would provoke a likewise in-character response. More often than not, I would expect the WizO staff to be lenient and not hand out a roomban or the like the first time someone were "exposed".

In all honesty, I'd be more concerned about the ambiguity of the Code of Conduct we are given than how harshly roleplaying rules would be enforced.

"Limitations on slavery.

Limitations on offworld and/or unique magic.

Anything else proposed"

These are the items I want clarified.

D

Darrius of the Guardians

Quick notes

747 said:
1-2.No unaccompanied children under the age of 12 allowed in the Tavern.

I've seen some characters who were little children, and I've got to say, that's just ridiculous. Seriously, even if you can think up some reason why they might be there (parents left them and they fell down a magic well/ they're actually a superbeing or something taking the shape of a child / they were polymorphed into the shape of a kid) it's often an annoying and repetitive flogging of the same dead "hey look, this character's a little kid" horse , and it's unrealistic to think a tavern would allow an unaccompanied kid going around in its bar. There's no hostility intended here, I just don't think an individual little kid works well when it comes to roleplaying and interacting with adults in a tavern.
This is...inacurate of the times though. The Tavern is set on Oerth near Greyhawk City (kinda), street urchins in the middle ages often did hang out in the taverns to hit drunks up for money.
747) said:
1-4. Restrictions on animals; this means barnyard types and wild animals would not be allowed. Weres and specific animal companions, not included.

Not okay. For one thing, the times I've seen some wild animals role played have been pretty darn amusing. Also, because this includes sentient, independent, intelligent animals such as gamoshinoch, a great, and very well worked character, I'm not okay with it. I can see why non-companion wild animals would be banned from a bar, and I could live with it, I just think that this helps flavor less than it hurts role play. This is a fantasy world, some wild animals should be allowed. Besides, as long as they end up in profit for the bar (i.e. buying steaks for wolves and such) I'm sure the bar owner would be fine with allowing animals in.
What you are saying, is that the tavern owner would be ok with non-inteligent predators who stand as high as some patrons do (q.v. halflings)? And personally, I have seen more wild animals played annoyingly than well.

747 said:
2-1.Drow either be in disguise as the Demons and Devils, or allowed to be themselves *within* the tavern only.

Could you please clarify the first part of this so it doesn't sound like Drows are required to look like Demons and Devils?

But both of these options sound very cool, and I would love to see the tavern to play either role: More of the intellectual, clandestine, gossip, talk and shady dealings center | or provide the oppressed drow with an "underground". (Alright, alright, I won't make any more puns).
To clarify for them: Drow either be in disgusie, like what is done, with demons and devils; or be allowed *within* the tavern only.

The oppressed drow? Nah, its more or less standard fantasy setting that Drow (evil elves) are disliked on the surface universally, and only a few exceptions found to be ok (q.v. Drizzit). Since Ford's Keep is often (in my mind) akin to Switzerland, I think the Drow are fine unmasked, however.
747 said:
2-3.Weres be welcome in the Tavern but should be in their humanoid forms shortly after arriving up to just before departing.

One amendment to this: or they may be disguised or hidden like demons and other humanoid creatures not of the basic surface creatures
747 said:
2-4.Familiars be present only in the company of their masters and under their control.

Sure, but perhaps loosely enforced. If a familiar comes in looking for his master, then why not, let him wander around the tables asking, but if a familiar's hanging around with people and joking around independent of their master, then sure, kick 'em out...
I'm not. Familars are often used as spies and information gatherers for the masters who are busy with other agendas. To this end, Familars should be allowed in at least with the degree of freedom of normal creatures they represent (be it normal animal, inteligent animal, demon, dragon et cetra).
Umm...Weres = Lycropaths, if they can assume a human form, why bother hiding a hybred form. Unless, of course, you expect trouble...which would be (in my mind) akin to carrying a concealed gun into a modern NYC Night Sp.... *smiles at Pounamu and whistles softly*...I mean uh....would be trouble making?
747 said:
2-6.A fine or tax on the use of dangerous magic openly in the tavern. Such as slinging fireballs and so forth all about.

As long as this rule only affects spells which are purposely cast to force other players to react to it, or only affects characters in-character, and the punishment doesn’t change to a warning which brings one closer to a character ban or such.

The problem is this is mixing OOC and IC rules and punishements:

Casting a spell purosfully to force other players is thought to be room disruption (Referance: Here
)

Since this is part of the CoC and not part of the IC laws, the punishemt (in my mind) should remain OOC regardless of what else happens.

747 said:
2-8.Limitations on offworld and/or unique magic.

I like it. I like it. as long as it would make the flavor of the place more clandestine, as in, no spellcasting unless necessary, so spellcasters would have to cast sells away from the watchful eye of employees and such. This should be the type of thing where it's not allowed by the bar's rules, but it's allowed to actually happen in the chat so long as the bar patrons aren't in an IC position to see it. I.e. like demons having to hide and unlike the "no tech" rule, the crime is punished for being seen by the bar employees in character, and not just for happening. I think that'd really work great, and this character’s a mage.
Well no...it wouldn't make no spellcasting unless necessary. As offworld magic on Oerth is non DnD cannon (more or less) and unique would be DnD spells researched indenpandtly. So magic missile wouldn't be limited.

I also think that is more likely to be an OOC regulatoin: e.g. someone using a circle of protection from Palladium's Fantasy works is likely to get a gentle reminder from WizOs that this is Oerth and such circles do not by themselves grant magical protection (I could be wrong).

Alright, I think that covered my commentary on your hidden things :p

Edit> Dammit forgot link to Room Disruption page.

Nevine

First Post
Cystuni said:
"Limitations on slavery.

Limitations on offworld and/or unique magic.

Anything else proposed"

These are the items I want clarified.

Those things are optional. Which means we (as in us) were/are going to vote on/clarify those topics anyway. The skeleton proposal, from what I understand, is going to make up the backbone of the "restricted" setting. The other/optional list is what the mini-votes will be for.

On the subject of children, while it may be true that urchins frequented taverns in the days of yore, for our purposes it's a logical idea. Establishments "back then" weren't nearly as dangerous as the Crossroads. Also, I agree with the statement Darrius made about annoying animals, but extend it to children as well.

As far as no spellcasting unless necessary goes.. It wouldn't make sense, given that the current owner (Siani) is a spellcaster herself and thus very much comfortable with magic. Barring future changes of ownership.

Offworld magic wouldn't necessarily be limited to magic from other game systems, things like the Shadow Weave, silver fire or spellfire (I'm not sure if it exsist on Oerth) would be eligible for such limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads