DM-only backstory in modules

cfmcdonald

Explorer
Have other people noticed a tendency in modules to give all sorts of cool backstory to the DM that it's impossible (or nearly so) for the players to ever learn about, so that what seems like a really cool set-up to the DM is incoherent and/or meaningless from the perspective of the players?

I've noticed this in quite a few places, for example in Grasp of the Emerald Claw there's a monster that, according to the DM backstory was grown by the inhabitants of the dungeon since it was young and was fed with human sacrifices. To the players it's just a big monster in an empty room.

Off the top of my head, I also recall that in Lost City of Barakus there's a magic item that's dedicated to a certain god and which can only be retrieved by someone wearing another magic item dedicated to that god. Without bardic knowledge or legend lore (which is way beyond the intended level of the adventure) there's no way that PCs will make any connection between these items or know that they are dedicated to said god.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
cfmcdonald said:
Have other people noticed a tendency in modules to give all sorts of cool backstory to the DM that it's impossible (or nearly so) for the players to ever learn about, so that what seems like a really cool set-up to the DM is incoherent and/or meaningless from the perspective of the players?

I think that is a failing of many adventure modules, which is why, when I use modules I rarely (if ever) use them exactly as written. As a GM I always tried to incorporate pieces of that cool backstory into actual play, rather than keeping it all to myself.

Bihor

First Post
I usaly skip the first pages of modules and if I juge that the infomation is usfull while reding the rest, then I read it.

Not that the storys are't good there not that usefull.

cfmcdonald

Explorer
Bihor, I don't so much mean the backstory at the start of the adventure that describes what the adventure is about, but little pieces of information within the adventure that would connect what the players perceive into a meaningful whole.

Grimstaff

Explorer
cfmcdonald said:

I've noticed this in quite a few places, for example in Grasp of the Emerald Claw there's a monster that, according to the DM backstory was grown by the inhabitants of the dungeon since it was young and was fed with human sacrifices. To the players it's just a big monster in an empty room.

Off the top of my head, I also recall that in Lost City of Barakus there's a magic item that's dedicated to a certain god and which can only be retrieved by someone wearing another magic item dedicated to that god. Without bardic knowledge or legend lore (which is way beyond the intended level of the adventure) there's no way that PCs will make any connection between these items or know that they are dedicated to said god.
Generally, this info is there to explain behaviors and motivations so the DM can run encounters and situations believably. A creative DM will generally find a way to work this stuff in, or just ignore it if he feels it has no bearing on the game. For instance, the above mentioned reptile should use tactics and savvy appropriate to a creature who has fed on humans for years, as opposed to one who has subsisted on stupid pigs and sloths in the jungle. As to stuff like magic items, PCs (experienced ones anyway) will generally do a little more research on unigue magic items than a basic detect magic or identify, and even the identify can give hints at an items true purpose or let the diviner know he isn't getting the full picture.

cfmcdonald said:
Bihor, I don't so much mean the backstory at the start of the adventure that describes what the adventure is about, but little pieces of information within the adventure that would connect what the players perceive into a meaningful whole.

While I certainly prefer it when the players have some means of accessing that information, I'd prefer to have it for the DM only than not to have it at all. If I'm running an adventure, or even just mining it for ideas, I have to understand how and why it all fits together. Without that, it's just a collection of encounters that may not go together very well.

Plus, as I've said in other threads, to me gaming material should be not just enjoyable to play, but enjoyable to read. If I get bored reading, I'm never going to get far enough into it to use it in play. So even if the info just increases that aspect of the module, it's worthwhile, IMO.

Enkhidu

Explorer
I like the extra info - it makes the adventure more of a setting than a series of encounters for the PCs. Then again I'm a big believer in creating adventures that don't require PC interaction to move forward (though the inevitable goal is always to make that PC intervention make the adventure plot better.

Crothian

First Post
Its a;lways easy for a DM to let the players in on this backstory if the DM wants to. So, I don't see this as a fault of the module as much as it is a fault of the DM.

Mercule

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
While I certainly prefer it when the players have some means of accessing that information, I'd prefer to have it for the DM only than not to have it at all. If I'm running an adventure, or even just mining it for ideas, I have to understand how and why it all fits together. Without that, it's just a collection of encounters that may not go together very well.

Plus, as I've said in other threads, to me gaming material should be not just enjoyable to play, but enjoyable to read. If I get bored reading, I'm never going to get far enough into it to use it in play. So even if the info just increases that aspect of the module, it's worthwhile, IMO.

Yes, quite.

Plus, some thing players seek to investigate are amazing. Especially with Divination magic. Personally, my mind boggles at people who don't use divinations.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Crothian said:
Its a;lways easy for a DM to let the players in on this backstory if the DM wants to. So, I don't see this as a fault of the module as much as it is a fault of the DM.

A good DM can make any module fun. It doesn't mean all modules are good, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases