Wu Jen? What is it?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Hello. Does anybody know the origin of this class name?

It sounds like a chinese word. But actually, current chinese PinYin does not have "Jen" sound. Maybe it is "Yen" or "Gen" but I am not sure.

If that is a chinese word, that word should have meanings. Better if I can ascertain actual characters of original Chinese word.

Any help will be welcomed.

FireLance

Legend
My guess is, it's probably the mandarin wu1 ren2 (witch/warlock/shaman) pronounced in some dialect. I was going to say possibly Japanese, but I guess you'd know if it was, right? :p

Henrix

Explorer
If Wu Jen is a Wade-Giles translitteration the pinyin would be Wu Ren.
Here's a handy table.

This makes Firelances translation plausible.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Henrix said:
If Wu Jen is a Wade-Giles translitteration the pinyin would be Wu Ren.
Here's a handy table.

This makes Firelances translation plausible.

Thanks. So Wu-Ren in today's Beijing. That can mean "shaman", "sorcerer", or "medium person".

Hmm.. if Wade-Giles is supposed to be based on or influenced by Cantonese, "jen" should be pronounced as "yen" or "yan". Not like "Wu-Gen" but like "Wu-Yen". That is a kind of surprise as many Japanese D&D players are calling it "Wu-Gen" without clue to the original Chinsese word.

Henrix

Explorer
Yes, if I recall correctly Wade-Giles is based on Cantonese, in the mid-19th c.!

The most annoying part of Wade-Giles is that it works best if you sort of try to pronounce it in british english!

Remove ads