Worlds of Design: How Original Is Your Homebrew?

As GM do you need to worry about originality in your adventures?

As GM do you need to worry about originality in your adventures?

stormtrooper-2899993_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Originality is nothing but judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.” -Voltaire
I previously discussed Innovation in game design in 2017. This time I’m talking about making up adventures, “homebrew” as it’s called, to be used with your campaign but unlikely to be published.

How Original is Your Homebrew?​

There are two aspects to originality in homebrew to consider:
  • Will your players have a problem with how original it is?
  • Will lawyers have a problem with how original it is?
Of course, if you value originality greatly, like Herman Melville (Moby Dick)—“It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation”—then nothing’s going to stop you from “going for it.”

People like fantasy because of the standards as much as for any originality. That is, much of the “originality” comes from the tropes of the fantasy genre itself, not from individual authors. E.g. much of the recent movie Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire (technically science fiction but owing much to fantasy) is a journey to gather together a group of “heroes” to fight evil. It’s common in fantasy, and people generally like that plot device, though it went down poorly here because the movie was heavily cut for length, and the rest of the full movie (part 2) was 4+ months away.

At TV Tropes you can read a large number of such tropes with lots of details and subtropes, a gold mine for ideas.

50 years ago in Duke University library I found Stith-Thompson’s Motif Index of Folk Literature, a multi-volume attempt to list ALL folk motifs such as “princess must be rescued,” tracing the origins of the motif and where it had been used. It is now available (revised and enlarged!) online.

Can You Overdo It?​

Yes, in fantasy fiction you can overuse certain tropes that are just TOO familiar. Like “rescuing the princess in distress.” Then again, we saw it be wildly successful in the original Star Wars movie, though with a few twists. While fiction is published for all to see, your RPG adventures will be seen only by your players, so use whatever you like. It's really hard to devise something that doesn’t amount to these tropes/motifs. But yours can be a little different, with a twist or two, just like Star Wars.

Some players have become jaded (“tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something”). They’ve seen the “same things” (from their point of view) over and over, and thirst for something new. If you are dealing with this kind of player, then you may be moving from one set of game rules to another with some frequency in order to provide some originality (or at least, variety). It’s certainly tougher on the GM to have jaded players.

Originality is sometimes discussed in board game design, but is very rarely seen. With tens of thousands of boardgames published over a century, how likely is any one to be really original? Yet people find different ways to present the same topic. Most players don’t care whether a game is original or innovative, even if they’re aware of the precedents. A barroom brawl is old hat to experienced RPG players. But to someone who has never played, participation in a barroom brawl can be exciting. Familiarity is the difference.

Legal Concerns​

What about the second part, what are the legalities of copyrights and trademarks? I am not a lawyer, and nothing I share below should be considered legal advice.

Fortunately, if you’re not publishing your work, you should generally be in the clear, thanks to a concept known as “fair use”:
Fair use is a doctrine in United States law that permits limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder.
Quoting someone briefly is not a problem even in published works, though if it’s a long quote, caution requires getting permission from the originator before publication.

Whether or not a few seconds of a copyrighted song in a user-generated video constitutes fair use is something for a court to decide. But take note that if you release your work to the world, e.g. George Harrison’s 1970 song My Sweet Lord, a court can decide (and did) that you used an unusual musical flourish from another song (1963’s He’s so Fine sung by the Chifons) that otherwise sounds nothing like Harrison’s, and take all your profits from your song. What “Fair Use” is not, is posting an entire musical work as a YouTube video and claiming it’s Fair Use, or editing many minutes from someone else’s video and presenting it separately.

The same rules apply to other material, though I must note that game ideas generally cannot be copyrighted. Games can be trademarked or patented for a limited period of time. (Cooking recipes also cannot be copyrighted—recipes are “merely” sets of instructions.) Game patents are rare (like betting methods for Blackjack.) It’s trademarks of titles, names of characters, and the like that cause the most angst among creators. Edgar Rice Burroughs’ book Princess of Mars (1912) is long out of copyright, but Burroughs Inc. keeps trademarks active on “Barsoom” and the like, so Disney had to deal with this when making the movie John Carter.

That said, if you’re not publishing your work (which includes giving it away for free – whether you make money does not matter) this likely isn’t as much of a concern.

What Constitutes Publishing?​

In this electronic age, mass distribution of any kind is probably going to count as "publishing." Undoubtedly, it is something courts are working out. That is, whether running a game on Twitch counts as publishing, or playing a game at a convention, count as publishing, I don’t know. Certainly, posting something that you “borrowed” on a website may get you in trouble.

So if you devise an adventure in what is clearly Tolkien’s “The Lonely Mountain” with a party entirely of dwarves looking for a fabulous gem (an actual convention adventure example), you’re unlikely to suffer legally from a lack of originality—unless (perhaps) you publish it.

Of course, a strong legal case isn’t necessary to invite legal trouble. Always keep in mind, if someone with lots of money decides to go after you in court, they don’t need a good argument initially, they just need to spend money.

Your Turn: Do you worry about originality in the adventures you run, whether published or homebrew?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

talien

Community Supporter
Is that why Rebel Moon went down poorly? I . . . can't even.

Heck. No. Everything that can be invented has been invented. But I do worry about predictability. I don't need PCs figuring out what's going on before I want them to. Which makes things difficult if one of them has a Mental score over 18 . . .
Where this becomes a problem is when you start playing with players you've known most of your life. I did get to a point where some of my players were like "oh look, another plot twist -- exactly like you did five years ago in that other game" and I didn't even realize I was repeating myself. Or that I was so predictable. New players, or players I don't play frequently with, don't care much about this stuff. But guys I gamed with back in high school? Yeah, it became a problem (and then, we turned into a chess game of "oh this is the character you always play" and "this is the kind of monster you always create" one-upmanship).

Laurefindel

Legend
While I try to bring some "new' into my games, I've learned that familiarity is one of a DM's greatest ally, that predictability makes things easier to telegraph, and that repetition and consistency allow for tighter focus. Balance is what I am for.

Most of my best work, like most of my favourite movies, are all new twists on old things.

Laurefindel

Legend
Where this becomes a problem is when you start playing with players you've known most of your life. I did get to a point where some of my players were like "oh look, another plot twist -- exactly like you did five years ago in that other game" and I didn't even realize I was repeating myself. Or that I was so predictable. New players, or players I don't play frequently with, don't care much about this stuff. But guys I gamed with back in high school? Yeah, it became a problem (and then, we turned into a chess game of "oh this is the character you always play" and "this is the kind of monster you always create" one-upmanship).
Interestingly, among our group, we see this as a feature rather than a bug. Some of us have our character "type", play on recurrent themes, and create scenarios that can be predictable for those who know us. That's cool; we know it and use it. Chess is a noble game and there is no shame to turn into something as intricate, if predictable. It brings a whole level of meta to our game that I relish in.

talien

Community Supporter
Interestingly, among our group, we see this as a feature rather than a bug. Some of us have our character "type", play on recurrent themes, and create scenarios that can be predictable for those who know us. That's cool; we know it and use it. Chess is a noble game and there is no shame to turn into something as intricate, if predictable. It brings a whole level of meta to our game that I relish in.
I never considered it a problem, but it was clear one of my players did. We don't play anymore as a result, which is a shame. But I get it -- familiarity can breed contempt, I suppose, even in RPGs.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Im an anthropologist by training and love folklore and so I incorporate a lot of cultural and folkloric elements into my games, which really helps to make things less generic than published modules are.
And while my initial teenage Homebrew was just an Earth pastiche, for a long time now I've looked to the folklore of areas outside Western Europe, thus giving a cultural milieu that differs from most generally. Nonetheless they were all inspired by something, often DnD

1 Chronicles of Terayne was my original teenage Homebrew that tried to be everything, it still has earth analogues (so published modules can be mined for ideas), but the areas I mostly focus on are:
  • Cruithne - Is my Copper Age Britain/Eire analogue inspired by Slaine (2000AD)
  • Zemyata - Medieval Slavic Lands, borrowed inspirations from Karameikos too
  • Bishnaga - inspired by Al-Qadim (though more Persian flavour)
  • Anziko - Medieval Africa set in the Sahel, inspired by Mansa Musa (Kingdom of Mali) and the City of Opar (Philip Jose Farmer)
2 Legends of Hawaiki - inspired by the Legends of Polynesia, not much published material,but my degree was Polynesia focussed

3 Years of Shadow - inspired by Solomon Kane set in a faux 17th/18th century with witches, nosferatu, ghosts and werewolves and invoking the wars of religion (mostly focussed in the Baltic states and down the Danube). For this I also lifted Mordent from Ravenloft and put it in Puritan England

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'll happily steal root ideas from anywhere willing (or unwilling!) to provide them. Tolkein? Xena? Martin? Eddings? Metal music? Pop culture? Hell yeah: gimme gimme gimme!

The originality, such as it is, comes in how I end up mashing those sometimes-very-disparate ideas - plus a few of my own - together into a playable setting and-or story.

RareBreed

Adventurer
First off, I will make a distinction in my post, since the question is about adventures. Since adventures take place in a game setting, the two are inextricably bound together and I would argue, the setting being the major factor. Even if we're talking 5e D&D, which world are you talking about that you want to have an adventure in? So the discussion below is primarily about the game world and how it influences tropes, player perceptions, and what kinds of adventures are doable in that game world.

For me, world immersion is more important than originality for originality's sake. The world provides a canvas on which to paint interpersonal relations between the players, and the external dynamics between the players and recurring NPCs.

Warhammer Fantasy has a totally different feel from D&D for example, which in turn is wildly different from Harn. This isn't just mechanical rules differences, but the atmosphere, tone, and culture. Even if the scenario was the same "save the princess", there would be a totally different flavor to it between Harn and D&D for example. It might even be worse for science fiction games. Hard SciFi like the 2300AD flavor of Traveller is going to be wildly different than Warhammer 40k, or even Star Trek (no matter the time period).

Tropes become a kind of shared language and shortcut into thinking about things. It is in essence, a heuristic players use to think about the world, and what their characters can (or should) do within that world. To some degree, tropes are culturally bound. I remember someone asking me why so many Asian movies have sad endings. I explained that in many Asian cultures, face or honor, are extremely important, as is duty and obligation to your family or "superiors". Many times, the hero is put into a no-win scenario, where in order to satisfy face, honor, and duty, the only solution is in death. This is not necessarily regarded as a sad ending, but rather a virtuous one.

If you are from a Western Country, you were (most likely) embedded into both a Judeo-Christian, and Greco-Roman way of thinking. The sense of morality and other (what I consider) tropes like the conflict between law vs. order are culturally based and can be differently perceived from someone from another culture. So this I think, is where the ideas behind originality often miss the point. Without questioning those implicit and built-in assumptions, it is inevitable that you will create the same game world and scenarios over and over.

Take for example a world where there are no Divinities or even the concept of an everlasting soul. Since there is no everlasting soul, there is no reincarnation, nor is there a permanent Heaven(s) or Hell(s). The highest attainment of spirituality, is to learn how to die a final death despite there being no reincarnation. Since there are no divine entities, there is no one to mete out judgment, and therefore there is no concept of sin, only behavior that causes suffering in others or yourself. And because there are no deities or saviours, there is no one to pray to for salvation. Despite all this, there is still a clergy.

Sounds pretty bizarre doesn't it? It almost seems impossible for a pre-scientific world (or post for that matter). Those from Western Countries are bombarded with the idea of some kind of divinity or divinities (for example the ancient Greeks and Norse). The framework of morality comes from divine commandments. Hope for a better world is maintained through the concept of an afterlife or reincarnation (even Westerners are familiar with this even though it comes mainly from Hinduism). But given the above religion, none of that is true. How could one even imagine holy magic in such a world? How could there possibly be clerics with magical powers?

What an alien fantasy world! And yet, it exists here on Earth and is one of the largest religions on the planet. What I described is the original Theraveda Buddhism. While Chan (aka Zen) Buddhism derives from the Mahayana line, and Mahayana added some of the Hindu canon of Gods and Goddesses as well as some "miracles" that the Buddha or other Boddhisatvas performed, Chan is still very much rooted in what I described above. Imagine a game world with a fantasy Buddhist-like religion. What would it mean to be a cleric? It would kind of be like a Dragonlance world, in that clerics lost their divine magic. And yet in our real world, Buddhist monks became the most formidable warriors of their time and era (Shaolin in China, the Sohei and Yamabushi of Japan, and I would even say that the Shinobi were monks of their own esoteric religion).

In terms of an original campaign (or game world), For a long time, I have had in the back of my mind, a low-fantasy game set in an analog of 1300-1500s Nusantara (what today would be parts of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and the southern tips of Vietnam and Thailand). This was an interesting period where Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Christianity were all coming into contact with one another (which is really a euphemism for saying going to war with each other). It was also when the Europeans were invading, with the Dutch, Portuguese, French, English and Spanish fighting each other and the natives. It would have early firearms, but predominately be melee fighting. It would also have pirates galore (including corsairs with Letters of Marque). How would you design an adventure where canons and early muskets are available that renders armor obsolete? Or for that matter, where the natives never wore armor in the first place, because it was too freaking hot.

Another example of "originality", is that the Islamic royalty of South East Asia, did not follow conventional European hierarchies. Sultans, Rajahs, Bandajaras, Syechs, and Datus amongst many others, were not exactly the same as their European counterparts. Not all titles were hereditary (as is the case with some Knights in Europe). There really wasn't the concept of fiefdoms or vassalages (well, kind of at a very high level).

My point, is that "originality" doesn't have to be that important, but I do think it enables more interesting storytelling and ideas for scenarios. The game setting also constrains adventure possibilities. A game world with limited magic or fantastical monsters will require a different design principle than "typical" D&D like high-fantasy. However, the more original a game world and its adventures become, the players can't rely on the same tropes as a shortcut to understand the possibilities of what can happen or what to do.

Last edited:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I borrow & steal a lot of home-brew from Beyond. How original is mine?
Not very.
I draw inspiration from a lot of pulp fantasy and early sci-fi genres; so not original but it works for my table.
My upcoming Spelljammer campaign will steal a lot of ideas from John Carter of Mars, Flash Gordon comic strips and original series Star Trek.
I may homebrew some rules for time-travel magic (chronomancy)

Remove ads

Remove ads