Spell slots: lower spells in higher slots

Kaledor

First Post
Okay.

I know that a sorcerer can choose to use up a higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell (ie, give up a second level spell slot in order to cast magic missile).

But can a wizard do the same?
Can a wizard prepare a 3rd level spell in a 4th level spell slot WITHOUT the application of a metamagic feat?? Can my wizard prepare a REGULAR lightning bolt in his 4th level slot?

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Kaledor said:
Okay.

I know that a sorcerer can choose to use up a higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell (ie, give up a second level spell slot in order to cast magic missile).

But can a wizard do the same?
Can a wizard prepare a 3rd level spell in a 4th level spell slot WITHOUT the application of a metamagic feat?? Can my wizard prepare a REGULAR lightning bolt in his 4th level slot?
Yes.

In fact, if his Intelligence happens to be 13, that's the only use of his 4th level slot(s) he's going to get.

Thanee

First Post
Here's the SRD bit...

Spell Slots: The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kaledor said:

Bear in mind that it's still treated as a 3rd level spell for purposes of things like Save DC, Globes of Invulnerability, and the like.

To make it an actual 4th level spell, you need to use Heighten Spell.

-Hyp.

Kaledor

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Bear in mind that it's still treated as a 3rd level spell for purposes of things like Save DC, Globes of Invulnerability, and the like.

To make it an actual 4th level spell, you need to use Heighten Spell.

-Hyp.

Yeah, I figured that. Since the 4th level slot doesn't change the spell, I figured it'd just like being an additional 3rd level slot. What would be nice is if you could take a 4th level slot and trade it for a 3rd and 1st or two 2nds or four 1sts... but that'd have to be a house rule... and then you'd have to actually determine equivallence of spell levels and such.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kaledor said:
Yeah, I figured that. Since the 4th level slot doesn't change the spell, I figured it'd just like being an additional 3rd level slot. What would be nice is if you could take a 4th level slot and trade it for a 3rd and 1st or two 2nds or four 1sts... but that'd have to be a house rule... and then you'd have to actually determine equivallence of spell levels and such.

See Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer.

Trade a 4th level spell for three spell levels of lower level spells.

-Hyp.

Rassilon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
See Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer.

Trade a 4th level spell for three spell levels of lower level spells.

Also, there are a few feats around that let you do something like breaking up the spell slots. I think one was in Lost Empires of Faerun, and I'm sure I've seen another one somewhere.

The nice thing about Rary's is if you know that you are really going to need an extra 10 fireballs today, and you have the cash, 10 scrolls of Rary's later . . .

Rassilon.

Remove ads