Metalheads! Confess & Brag

reelo

Hero
Just want to chime in: long time metalhead/guitarist here. Have been playing the guitar since I was 14, so that's 21 year now. Though I'm currently not active due to family/job constraints.
My gigging gear was a BC Rich Warlock, a customised Yamaha guitar (which used to be a HSH/FR superstrat but is now a HH/Hardtail with Series/Parallel switching) a Boss GT-10 and a HK Triamp Mk.I (midi-switchable via the Boss unit)
I also have a nice Squier 60s Start and a 6W VHT tube-amp (think Fender Champ)
I think by the time I'll get around to being in a band again, I'll be 50 and playing the blues... ;)

Leif

Adventurer
Just want to chime in: long time metalhead/guitarist here. Have been playing the guitar since I was 14, so that's 21 year now. Though I'm currently not active due to family/job constraints.
My gigging gear was a BC Rich Warlock, a customised Yamaha guitar (which used to be a HSH/FR superstrat but is now a HH/Hardtail with Series/Parallel switching) a Boss GT-10 and a HK Triamp Mk.I (midi-switchable via the Boss unit)
I also have a nice Squier 60s Start and a 6W VHT tube-amp (think Fender Champ)
I think by the time I'll get around to being in a band again, I'll be 50 and playing the blues... ;)

BC Rich Warlocks are some COOL-LOOKING guitars! I always kinda wanted either a warlock or a bich, but never followed through.

reelo

Hero
BC Rich Warlocks are some COOL-LOOKING guitars! I always kinda wanted either a warlock or a bich, but never followed through.
Anything BUT Tune-o-matic bridges for me. Just hate them with a passion. I need a solid block of metal as a hand rest, and with TOM bridges I feel like my guitar is missing a piece.
So I tend to play either hardtails or, preferably, guitars with a tremolo (can even be immobilized)

My Warlock is pretty beat up by now, it'd need new frets at the very least. I've played it for 12 years as a main guitar, with heavy gauge strings... Intonation is completely off due to the uneven frets. :-/

Leif

Adventurer
Anything BUT Tune-o-matic bridges for me. Just hate them with a passion. I need a solid block of metal as a hand rest, and with TOM bridges I feel like my guitar is missing a piece.
So I tend to play either hardtails or, preferably, guitars with a tremolo (can even be immobilized)

My Warlock is pretty beat up by now, it'd need new frets at the very least. I've played it for 12 years as a main guitar, with heavy gauge strings... Intonation is completely off due to the uneven frets. :-/

I don't know about that, I've never had a problem with the tune-o-matic bridge. In fact, I've never really noticed a bridge while I'm playing. Sounds like you have a pretty unique style, if you're using the bridge as a handrest.

Leif

Adventurer
My Warlock is pretty beat up by now, it'd need new frets at the very least. I've played it for 12 years as a main guitar, with heavy gauge strings...
I've always kinda wanted a Warlock or a Bich. But I wound up with a strat copy (Electra Phoenix, SHS), 2 Epi Les Pauls (one special and one 100), and an Epi SG Special.

I've always fluctuated between XLight strings, Lights, and Mediums. I like them all for different reasons, but I tend more towards the Lights because they're heavy enough on the low end to give me enough "boom," but not too stiff to make a good bend.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Because half of what I play is in NST (CGDAEG, low to high), I have had to make custom sets up. This means I often have leftover strings which I sometimes use for my E Standard guitars. Sooooo...sometimes, a guitar might have a slightly lighter or heavier string in one position than it usually does.

But there are retailers online who sell strings individually. That way you could have heavy strings on the low end, and nice, light bendy ones on the high end.

Remove ads