Metalheads! Confess & Brag

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, and some company, I think it was Dean Markley, used to make a particular gauge called "Heavy Bottom, Light Top" or something. So that's kinda what you 're talking about packaged together.

I see that you brandish a Traveller badge. Ever GM much Traveller here? I'd find it very cool to play, if so. My favorite system, rules-wise, is GURPS Traveller, because it abandons all the "enlistment" nonsense and you just roll up a character in the regular manner, but I'd like playing so much that I wouldn't really care what system you used.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't GMed Traveller in at least a decade. I kinda miss it.

I always thought the career stuff was nifty. The idea that a party need not be composed of persons of similar ability, but could instead be made up of people of all kinds of backgrounds was, IMHO, revolutionary. ESPECIALLY since was hit upon so early in the history of RPGs.

(However, my all-time favorite RPG system is HERO.)

I've always kinda wanted a Warlock or a Bich. But I wound up with a strat copy (Electra Phoenix, SHS), 2 Epi Les Pauls (one special and one 100), and an Epi SG Special.

I've always fluctuated between XLight strings, Lights, and Mediums. I like them all for different reasons, but I tend more towards the Lights because they're heavy enough on the low end to give me enough "boom," but not too stiff to make a good bend.

I lean toward 10s and 11s for strings. I like my lower strings to have a certain heaviness, but I do want some speed and bends on the higher end. I also like my action insanely low.

Well, back in 2013, I bought an Electra Omega Prime, and I love it. So I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about.

That looks pretty awesome. I just got a new guitar myself (been a while since I did that). I went in thinking of getting an Ibanez or ESP and picked up a Schechter of all things because the action was so outstanding.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There have been a couple of Schecters that tempted me. There was the Devil Tribal, as I recall...

devil_tribal.jpg

Never bought one, though...couldn't find one to buy.

But my most "metal" guitars currently are a Malden Bad Karma (LP clone), a pair of Fernandes Ravelles, and 2 Deans- an EVO (another LP clone) and a Cadillac.

Last edited:

There have been a couple of Schecters that tempted me. There was the Devil Tribal, as I recall...

View attachment 70219

Never bought one, though...couldn't find one to buy.

But my most "metal" guitars currently are a Malden Bad Karma (LP clone), a pair of Fernandes Ravelles, and 2 Deans- an EVO (another LP clone) and a Cadillac.

I ended up getting the C-1 Platinum. For the price, pretty nice guitar.

Leif

Adventurer
What do you guys know about the Guild S-100 Polara?
red

And/or the Epiphone G-400?
worn brown

I'm also looking at a black Epi G-400, a la Tony Iommi:
black

The black epi is $50 more, but it has coil taps. The worn brown one, on the other hand, is cheaper and has Grover tuners. And epi tuners, in my experience, can be a bit questionable.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks. I feel pretty much the same way.

And, hey, while I'm thinking about it, do you know how Gator cases and SKB cases copare? I have one Gator and I really like it, but I've heard good things about SKB, too. And I can definitely confirm that while their Asian-made Gibson-clone guitars can get you by in a pinch, and they even manage to produce the occasional gem now and then, Epiphone cases have major suckage issues.

Last edited:

Remove ads