Who pays the XP for party created items in your games?

In your game who pays the XP cost of magic item creation?

The_Dood

First Post
A recent discussion came up amongst our group about who should pay the XP component of the Craft Magic Item feats, the crafter or end user. I was just wondering how other people handle the situation.

Other (Option 3): The person designated as the item's creator (being the one chosen from among any number of people providing the prerequisites).

They also set the Caster Level of the item, and determine the arcane / divine / neither nature of any scrolls created.

shilsen

Adventurer
By the rules, the creator has to be the one paying the XP. I don't house rule that away, so in my games the creator is the one paying it. Sometimes the person with the feat is able to have the end user collaborate in the creation and count as the creator (because the latter can fulfil some prerequisite), in which case the latter pays it.

diaglo

Adventurer
mostly the only PC with craft feats is making stuff for himself. so he pays.

he did upgrade some items for 1 other party member. and he charged for it thru the roof.

I have the creator (that is, the person whose Item Creation feat is being used to create the item) pay the experience cost. On some few occassions, I have allowed the use of Power Components (a displacer beast hide for a cloak of displacement, for instance) to mitigate the experience point cost of the item.

Later
silver

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My rules are that the xps can come from the caster, a willing participant (so if someone commissions magic items they are expected to incorporate their own soul in there) or, if evil, an unwilling sacrifice (bwa-ha-ha-ha-hah!)

tyderian

First Post
My opinion is that if the creation is shared (eg someone is doing the crafting, and someone else is providing the required spells), then the XP cost can be shared, or paid by one of the two.

Alternately, depending on DM ruling rare components can be used to offset XP cost (or sacrifices/souls in evil campaigns).

If a person is just receiving the item they cannot pay XP cost, they must participate in the creation.

Sejs

First Post
As I run it in my games there are three options:

A) A single creator pays the full cost in exp.
B) The exp cost is distributed more or less evenly amongst those involved in the crafting (in the case of there being multiple crafters).
C) The exp cost is distributed between the crafter(s) and the intended recipient, at a rate chosen beforehand with the recipient paying up to a maximum of 50% of the cost. The remainder is handled by the crafter(s) as above.

I also implement power components, souls/pain/other as power, and so on.

Remove ads