Helmets

mosaic

Explorer
Anyone ever consider handling helmets like shields, as a separate modifier to armor class? Some suits of armors come with helmets and others don't, but it seems like it would make a big difference.

Maybe something like:
leather hood/cap = +1 to AC
chain hood or a metal cap = +2 to AC, -1 to Spot and Listen checks
full helm = +3 to AC, -2 to Spot and Listen checks

And all helmets would (obviously) take up headband/helmet slot for magic items.

You do realize that if you do this you might as well separate greaves cuirasses(sp?) boots gloves, pauldrons, amd underarmor(like chain under plate). Then you might as well allow called shots because the anti called shot reasoning falls apart and then...

But if you do realize and are comfortable with these statements, then you may wish to add armor check penalties to the full helm, and give all of them an anti crit ability(say 5% for leather cap, 10% for metal cap and 15% for full helm)

Felnar

First Post
2nd ed "combat and tactics" had this with piecemail armor rules, but it also had called shots

anyway, i'd use those rules before these

Imret

First Post
An old DM of mine treated helms as optional elements of a suit of armor imposing a penalty to Spot and Listen checks while wearing it; -1 for light, -2 for medium, you see where this is going. However, they provided an equal AC bonus against the confirmation of critical threats.

It's extra bookkeeping in exchange for flavor, YMMV.

Nyaricus

First Post
Imret said:
An old DM of mine treated helms as optional elements of a suit of armor imposing a penalty to Spot and Listen checks while wearing it; -1 for light, -2 for medium, you see where this is going. However, they provided an equal AC bonus against the confirmation of critical threats.

It's extra bookkeeping in exchange for flavor, YMMV.

wow, that's a neat idea! I might feature that IMC, actually.

as for helms being optional amrour, i think that armour should be bought piecemeal, but that is ALOT of bookkeeping. Glove of dexterity would have horrible adjustment to AC in regards to item - but would give pluses with it's magical properties. And yet, Gaunltets of Ogre Power might nearly match it in AC bonuses - plus have +to Str.

I dunno, it doesn't sit well with me. Personally, i think Listen adn Spot should be more severly punished for Heavy Armours, maybe -4 spot/listen.

just a few thoughts

Li Shenron

Legend
Imret said:

I was thinking about the same, that helms should give penalties to Listen and Spot, and perhaps even to Initiative, but not ACP or ASF.

I'm not sure, but I think it's better to provide a resistance to critical than an AC bonus (but I would not give in any case more than +1).

A +1 AC would make sense: same as small shield. Not more because +2 already requires a large shield. It should stack with both armor and shield, so maybe you may need to introduce a new type of bonus, "helm bonus to AC".

The problem I have with AC bonus is that it immediately makes sense to allow enchanting helms just like armor or shield, up to +5 helms. That is potentially a large boost to AC given the exponential costs for magic items, because you could split the cost in two items and get a better total bonus. Of course you already do the same between armor and shield, but in that case the shield forces you to keep one hand busy, the trade-off is that you can't use double/twin, projectile and two-handed weapons. In the case of helms, there would be no trade-off, and enchanted helms would be generally better than shields anytime (except maybe on some selected abilities).

RisnDevil

First Post
Li Shenron - I think all you would have to do is limit what enchantments are effective on helmets. Aren't there some armor echantments that are only viable on ARMOR, and vica versa? Also, handwave the rule of an item having to be +1 before other enchantments for helmets, and specifically state that you cannot enchant helmets with armor bonuses. Kinda complicated, I think, so instead you could just make helmets give a shield bonus, so not stack with shields. To make up for the loss of the shield's drawbacks (one-handed weapons only) make a seperate slightly higher table for enchanting helmets cost.

Side note - If you do make helmets a piecemeal addition to armor, you should create three different categories: Light (+1), Medium (+2), and Heavy (+3 or maybe +4). Then take the total armor bonus granted by helmets, and subtract it from all armor of its weight. (All light armors reduced by +1, so on and so forth.)

Just my two cents.

RisnDevil

Nyaricus

First Post
for heav helms go with +4 - the tower shield is a "heavy helm" equivalent - gives the most for the greatest drawbacks.

just some ideas

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I've thought about this idea many times and I'm still not sure how I want to handle it.
The underlying concepts behind it are very good - the idea that yes someone wearing a helmet is less likely to be damaged then someone wearing a helmet and as the head is a major target for critical hits that helms should reduce the chances of receiving a critical hit. Further the principal that helmets limit ability to see and hear. All good real world principles but can we make it viable? Here's my thoughts:

Open Face and ear helmet: Spot -1, Listen -1, 5% crit resistance
Open Face helm: Spot -1, Listen -3, 10% crit resistance
Great Helm: Spot -3, Listen -3, 15% crit resistance
Visored Helm: acts as open face helm when not in combat(visor up) - Great helm while in combat(visor down)

Open Face and ear helmet: Despite the openings this helmet still inhibits the ability to turn your neck and hearing is still slightly impaired.
Open Face helm: Like the above but blocks even more the hearing of the individual
Great Helm: Put on this helm and you see slits - good luck noticing people sneeking up behind you!
Visored Helm: The best of two worlds - as long as your not surprised. Visored Helms may also have ear Flaps but are much more expensive.

Actions to dawn helms.
It takes a move-equivalent action to dawn all helms - and yes your character really doesn't want to run around wearing a great helm all the time there hot besides the obvious penalties.
Characters may choose to wear the other helms when they are expecting combat.
Intantaneous action- to drop the visor of a visored helm
To drop both the ear flaps and visor of an expensive Visored Helm, still takes a move equivalent action.

Enchantement
Helms may be enchanted to hold a helm AC bonus of up to +2 beyond that the enchantement switches over to an armor AC bonus and does not stack with armor enchantments
Further Helms can be given the Fortification Light property (an extra 25% resistance to criticals) but this is considered a +2 enhancement. Heavy fortification of armor id now impossible but the same result can be achieved through the wearing of a fortified Helm and a moderate suit.
Further Helm enchantements should be house ruled on a case by case basis - reminder that characters will not wear there helm all the time. Helms should be able to be enchanted with the standard enchantments for the head slot (which they take up when enchanted) except for the improving of spot and listen checks.

I might elaborate on the logic of my decisions later . . . as soon as I can figure it out. Comments?

Last edited:

Remove ads