Helmets

smootrk

First Post
I would not grant AC bonus for helms, as they are essential parts of a true set of armour. However, I would allow for some magics to be placed upon the helm separately from the 'armour' slot. The most appropriate magics would still be protective in nature, like resistance (as the ring), a special armour enhancement bonus that stacks with the actual armour (or bracers of armour, robes, etc.), energy resistances, or detection qualities. There are obviously more effects that can be added to this list, but the majority should espouse the protective headgear nature.

I don't particularly think the Crit Resistance quality works well IMO. I study martial arts and while the head is a very good target in general... there are many many more 'vital' spots that can be attacked... so regular armour should have resistances as well if this mechanic is used. I think it is better to assign other qualities, particularly magical effects.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I noted in our house rulebook that a helmet (or helmet and greves) gives a +1 to AC of light or no armor. It helps encourage lighter armor usage..well, that and the fact that our campaign is set in the deserts and we allow less penalty for leather armor or shield...

jh

Wolf72

Explorer
how about they just give a bonus to AC vs crits?

+1 for light armor helms

+2 for medium

+3 for heavy

... the ACP of the armor counts against spot/listen checks (MW half-plate helms would give a -6 to listen and spot)

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Wolf 72,
I really don't feel that a character is going to walk around with a helmet that gives a -6 to spot and listen and only a +4 AC improvement against conforming critical hits, it's not enough of a trade off in my opinion. If you wanted to go with the actual armor class bonus on confirmed crits (meaning a doubling of the actual base AC, not magical enhancements of the armor) and armor class penalty of that suit - I think the trade off would be a little more fair. After all critical hits don't actually happen all that often.
What if a player says I want a light helmet with a Heavy suit? I assume that would be fine after all the penalties/bonuses whould still work the same.
You also have to consider the fact that if we are making specific rules for helmets we should have specific rules for donning helmets - after almost no one wears their helmets all the time. Actually my initial reaction was perhaps a little harsh. If you incorporate some sort of donning rules, then the penalties are not so restrictive.
Stepping back it's a very good concept. And perhaps easier to implement then my method after all the Fortification spell rules wouldn't have to be changed. It fits more simply within the standard framework.

Remove ads