Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Rackhir

Explorer
Scenes from the Mind of a Insane Druid -

Luna's player has recently fixated on obtaining a living spell of a Cloudkill as a "Pet" (she is immune to poison after all). When I tried to patiently explain to her that they were mindless things that were uncontrollable, she plaintively cried "But it would LEARN TO LOVE ME!"

Nameless, who's mind was completely unfazed by Xoriat, the Plane of Madness, who has gazed upon the depths of madness, went "TILT" and refused to process any more input after that statement.

The really annoying thing is that I know 5 minutes after she got it, she'd fixate on something else and completely ignore it from that point onwards...

Zurai

First Post
Rackhir said:
Scenes from the Mind of a Insane Druid -

Luna's player has recently fixated on obtaining a living spell of a Cloudkill as a "Pet" (she is immune to poison after all). When I tried to patiently explain to her that they were mindless things that were uncontrollable, she plaintively cried "But it would LEARN TO LOVE ME!"

You should mention that there are spells to imbue intelligence into mindless beings... awaken, awaken construct, awaken undead... no awaken ooze, though... yet.

That should keep her busy for a while.

Furby076

First Post
Zurai said:
You should mention that there are spells to imbue intelligence into mindless beings... awaken, awaken construct, awaken undead... no awaken ooze, though... yet.

That should keep her busy for a while.

Those spells are banned from our game due to their power.

As for Luna's pet idea -another problem was that if we did allow her to keep they pet we all said it would turn out that we would have to feed it, walk it, and clean-up after it.

Rackhir

Explorer
Scenes from the Mind of an Insane Druid - Pt.2

Luna has a tendency to fixate on the latest shiny object that catches her attention. Most recently this was a flying carpet. I was trying to dissuade her from this since a Airship was 100k gold and a 10'x10' carpet (not big enough to carry the entire group) was 60k gold. Logic proved futile as normal (the carpet was smaller, slower, more vulnerable, more exposed, etc...). Finally I said

10'x10' carpet, Weight capacity - 800 lb
Average Dire bear 12' long and 8,000 lb! Luna is significantly larger than an AVERAGE Bear! Do the MATH!

Luna's reply "Oh."

Shilsen replied "I think you beat an overwhelming encounter on your own."

We should have the next update to you shortly. Shil is looking it over now (inbetween grading a horrific number of papers).

Rackhir

Explorer
And here is the update at last.

Once we reconvened, I outlined my ingenious plan. “If we just teleport in as a group, there will be no question who it is. An Anticipate Teleportation, whether the greater variety or not, will tell her what types of creatures are coming in and there simply aren’t that many teleporting groups of five people, with an orc, shifter, human and warforged. Our chance lies in the fact that, even if she suspects I am alive, it’s unlikely she knows that I detect as an aberration to all magic. So, if just Gareth and I go in, with him looking like her lover and myself appearing as a Mind Flayer, it may confuse her long enough for us to act. Even if it doesn’t confuse her, it should be worth it for the look on her face, when she sees us.”

I spoke mostly metaphorically, liches being low on facial expression. Perhaps that confused the others so that there were, surprisingly, no objections.

“Yes, Edgar. I know that, but it will have to wait until tomorrow night.”

Reality bent to my will once again and the omnipresent chorus of whippoorwills crescendoed and cut off suddenly as Gareth and I appeared in the room I had scryed earlier. A quick look at the prepared position Emrena and her minions had assumed out in the hall showed that luck was still failing to smile on me. I shall eventually have to teach her to remedy that error. But back to Emrena. The bafflement her posture bespoke at what appeared, while gratifying, didn't prevent her from attempting to hit us with a slashing dispel. A quick word of power to activate a ring and I crushed her spell in mid-cast. Useful as the ring was, it didn’t help with the beads of force the guardsmen threw at us, but the bursts of force were easy enough to avoid even in this prison of flesh. Then the doors were slammed in our face. “The courtesy of your home leaves something to be desired, Emrena,” I muttered, as Gareth dumped out the portable hole and the rest of our band sprang out.

While he did that, my staff rang upon the stones of the room and I called in the tartly throat twisting syllables of Daelkyr. “Kha’tvan’ga! Fulfill our pact and attend me!” Obedient to my command, the creature manifested, its sleekly beautiful form contrasting with the crude shapes of my companions, and hovered silently. I instructed, “Smash the door and kill anyone out there!” Moments later the door was in splinters and the horrified guards were fleeing in terror. For all the good it would do them.

Emrena was either made of sterner stuff or incapable of comprehending what Kha’tvan’ga is and so unfazed by it, but also unwilling to face all of us on her own. She dimension doored away, saying “Follow me if you dare!”

“I don’t know. I rather liked the cheese we had with lunch, Edgar.”

I commanded the Horror to slay the guards and bring me one, confident it would hunt them down relentlessly. Meanwhile, my comrades ransacked the room for clues and despoiled her wardrobe in ways ... unmentionable. Lime green polka-dots? No, let us not go there.

The crumpled letter I had seen her writing earlier proved to be somewhat enlightening. In elven, with some parts cut out and others rewritten, it said:

“My queen, I know you do not wish me to engage the Guardian Angels again, but I believe their removal is necessary for the Emerald Claw to re-establish a presence in Breland. And especially in Sharn, where their presence makes it impossible to take advantage of sympathetic worshippers of the Blood. I hope you will forgive my presumption, but I flatter myself that my success will justify the disobedience. I have begun to move some skilled members of the Claw to Sharn. More importantly, two nights ago, I made an attack on the Guardian Angels and slew their mage, Nameless. I expect that the remainder will locate and attack me here, and I am prepared for th…”

Well, well. Yes, I’m certain your ‘queen’ will reward you for this success. Especially once we are finished ripping this place down around your ears Emrena. My musings were interrupted by Korm tapping me (with sufficient force to break the arm of a normal person) on the shoulder.

“Yes, Korm – what is it?”

“Nameless, what does a lich need a privy for?”

A raised eyebrow was the only possible answer to Korm’s question. He showed me that one room led to a privy. Well made, with the kind of plumbing Sharn uses, I noticed.

“So Edgar, the white or the yellow?”

Kha’tvan’ga returned at that point with one of the guards, but his feeble human mind had snapped under the assault of the Horror’s presence and even Gareth’s mind-reading abilities were useless to get any coherent information out of him. Gareth quickly ended his suffering.

Since there was nothing more to learn here, a quick locate creature was able to provide us with a direction, and a bit of triangulation and some trivial calculation showed Emrena hadn’t gone too far. So we followed in the direction the spell indicated she was in, Luna taking on the form of a huge wolf and not a bear, so as to avoid slowing us down as she squeezed through.

We passed some distance down the hallways with no further incidents, though I noticed there were many holes in the walls, floor and ceiling. Identical to the ones that had been in our house before we sealed them, they were obviously for vampires in gaseous form to pass through.

As we made another turn, we passed another door from behind which chanting came, and the voice of a child crying in terror. Memories of the Emerald Claw temple we had raided in Karrnath were still fresh, as had been the bodies of those who were unwillingly sacrificed to create the Charnel Hound we discovered. So despite the danger of deviating from our goal, nobody suggested otherwise as we turned and smashed in the door to the chamber.

In retrospect, what was going on should have been simple enough to figure out. The three men at the altar, one chanting and one holding down a screaming child, while a third raised a blood-stained dagger, and the watching people seated on benches. But we are so much faster than normal people, that they had no time to react before Gareth had grabbed the child, Six had already killed the man holding the child down, and Korm punched in the head of the knife-wielder. Once the child cried out, “Daddy!” at the dead man who had been holding her and struggled to get away, it was clear.

“Well, Edgar, these things do happen. I have others.”

“Set her down, Gareth,” I commanded. “That was her father we just killed.” Simple, really. The Blood of Vol naturally does place great emphasis on blood as a voluntary sacrifice and symbol of commitment, with worshippers willingly donating some on certain days. The Emerald Claw does place a rather darker stress on things and aren’t so keen on the ‘voluntary’ aspect of things, but they also seem to use the legitimate temples of the Blood of Vol as a cover.

As clearly they were doing here.

Still, they were lucky. I was going to chuck a cloudkill in there.

But we had no time for recriminations. Emrena was still on the loose, and had not moved in the past few minutes. So she had probably found allies, but that changed nothing. It was going to have to be her or us, as we couldn't afford to have her plaguing us, while we tried to track down the location of the seed she had so foolishly unleashed. Perhaps this ‘queen’ would be interested in what her unauthorized vendetta had set loose?

A few more twists of corridors lead to a corner around which three vampires in Emerald Claw armor sprang to the attack. As we smashed each other back and forth, Emrena popped around the next corner and hit us with another slashing dispel, which was fortunately mostly ineffective. One of the vampires quickly went down under our assault and Emrena dimension doored away again, apparently unwilling to go toe-to-toe with us. The remaining vampires exchanged blows for a few more seconds and then fled into mist form, leaving us alone in the passageway.

“So, Edgar, you are enjoying the weather in Sharn this time of year.”

This was only a momentary setback, however. I have your number now, Emrena. You aren’t going to get away that easily. A little more triangulation, a mental recollection of the corridors we had traversed, and I instantly knew where she was in the temple. Three-dimensional geography is so simple. “Gather round me. This time she won’t get away.” Once they had, I opened a hole in reality and shoved us through, making sure we would appear close behind Emrena. If only those whippoorwills would shut up! Her footsteps were still echoing in the hall as we appeared and glimpsed her turning around another corner, with two more priests in her train.

Moments later they were both smoking corpses after a hail of empowered fireballs and flame strikes. Emrena once again proved more resilient, but also without allies, and with us nipping at her heels (her red pumps were looking a bit ratty at this point) she did not seem destined to remain among the unliving much longer. For all of about 6 seconds and that’s when things started going south ...

Three more vampires materialized out of gas clouds from the holes in the floor, while Emrena put up an antimagic field and walked over to my allies, who had rushed after her.

“The financial section of the newspaper? But I though you finished that yesterday, Edgar?”

After all the alterations, blessings and spells we put on ourselves, we are saturated with magic. During our recent trip to Q’barra, we adopted as a method of proving our bona fides to the locals, the simple expedient of finding someone who could cast detect magic. Once the blinded adept recovered their vision, there were no questions if we were as powerful as we were claiming.

The antimagic field took all that away. Luna shrank from a huge, magically-enhanced wolf to a shifter with a club. The Endless Blade vanished into Gareth’s metal hand, the fingers of which became immobile. Korm was reduced from a muscle-bound druid to a very strong orc. As is usually the case, Six came out of it the best, since he depends the least on such augmentations. He might lack the raw power of the rest of us, but he has an uncanny way of never being the target when the hellfire comes down.

Not that it did him any good this time.

The vampires were not so impeded, as their skills did not depend on magic anywhere near so much as ours does. Though their resistance to damage was gone, their undead flesh combined with heavy armor to make them near-impervious to the weakened blows of my comrades, and they were still able to heal their wounds. It quickly became clear – though only amusing in retrospect – that they could call on their faith to empower their attacks in a way the Silver Flame no longer could Gareth’s. Normally the most durable of us, Luna fell first under the fury of their blades.

Six held his own for a few moments, his flashing chain sweeping the feet out from two of the vampires and striking them again and again as they rose and moved in. But that only made him the obvious target, and the three of them combined their attacks to cut him down. While Gareth struck feebly at Emrena’s tough hide with his backup sword, Korm managed to drop one of the vampires that Six had wounded. But it was obvious that he wasn’t going to last very long against the remaining two and Gareth wasn’t doing much other than annoying Emrena, who ignored him and smirked at me while I stood there helpless. Her field was blocking all of my spells so I couldn’t help Korm against the vampires, and I didn’t even have the crossbow I’d carried for when my spells had run out, when I first arrived in Sharn.

Gareth shouted to me, “Nameless – we need to get out of here!” He sounded even more panicky than usual when things go bad, presumably his supposed immunity to fear had been stolen by the antimagic field as well. I opened my mouth to shout at him and then it struck me. The answer was so obvious. That field was a two-edged sword. I’d actually prepared one that day, for much the same reason Emrena was using it now. It shut down nearly everything a mage could do and most of what a lich had. So while it weakened us and strengthened her allies, it did not aid her personally.

“Gareth, stop screwing around with the sword! Just grab her, gag her and drag her towards me. NOW!” Emrena’s muffled cry of outrage was most satisfying, as Gareth crammed his gauntlet down her throat and wrapped his other arm around her neck. Even weakened by the lack of magic, Gareth was still much stronger than Emrena and she was able to put up little resistance as he dragged her down the corridor, while I dashed forward through the field. As I moved, I instantly calculated distances and positions on the battlefield. There was one more little thing to do. “Korm! Step over Luna!” Unarmored and facing two vampires, Korm instantly obeyed, though his expression showed his uncertainty of what I meant.

And then, as Gareth dragged Emrena just far enough, Luna’s unconscious body snapped back to its lupine shape – and size. As I had calculated, the sudden expansion blocked most of the hallway and prevented the vampires from rushing after Emrena, slaying Gareth and ruining my plan. Before they could think of scrambling over Luna, I unleashed my last fireball, empowering the magical energies in mid-cast and placing it precisely so as to vaporize one of them and leave the other weakened. Assisted by a pair of pseudonatural rhino beetles I’d summoned, Korm quickly finished off the remaining vampire, despite the bulk of Luna restricting his movements.

We walked back into the antimagic field, where Emrena’s outraged eyes were flashing daggers at us. With Gareth’s metal hand rammed down her throat and his arm around her neck, she couldn’t speak the words to dismiss the antimagic field which held her helpless. And she knew I knew it.

“I enjoyed this part the most, Edgar. So did you.”

It was grim, but very enjoyable, watching Korm’s sword falling repetitively on Emrena’s helpless body. Slowly chipping away at the burning vitality of a lich’s withered body, while she was helpless to do anything to avoid the relentless march of her doom. I thought, as I watched, that it was much like what time does to those incapable of transcending their mortality. Emrena, of course, had attempted to do precisely that, but by the limited process of changing her physical form, whereas I plan to…

My cogitations – and Korm’s methodical chopping – were interrupted as a richly-dressed man strode up. Without preamble, he indignantly demanded, “What are you doing in the House of Hazal, in my home? You murderers and desecrators!” Emrena looked suddenly hopeful and her eyes were clearly pleading with the man, but that hope withered as Korm’s blows didn’t slacken at all and I cut the man off in mid-sentence.

“We will compensate the family for the man’s death. It was an accident and we put ourselves at some significant risk, while pursuing an Emerald Claw terrorist, responsible for numerous crimes and murders, in an attempt to help the child.”

“Where was that book again. Edgar? Second on the left? Thank you.

Even as I spoke, I was trying to recall where I had heard the name he mentioned. And then I recalled it – the House of Hazal was a large mansion I had passed on the way to Trillia’s home. And suddenly a number of things became clear. Emrena’s letter about Sharn. And even the plumbing. I had used a greater teleport capable of flinging us from one end of Eberron to the other and back again. In order to move us less than a mile from where we had started. In fact we were still in Sharn, and even in Tavick’s Landing, where our house was. The irony was great, though I might have found it less amusing if I hadn’t solved the mystery of the battle so successfully moments ago.

“I’m calling the watch to arrest you, you, you ..,” Hazal stuttered with rage. While the steady rhythm of Korm’s sword hacking at Emrena continued in the background.

“Yeeesss! That’s an exxxcceeellleeent idea! In fact, I’ll send someone to go get Warden Balan Cord of the Blackened Book. I’m certain he's going to be fascinated to learn about the Emerald Claw terrorist cell you’ve been harboring here. While the Blood of Vol is a legitimate – perhaps even unfairly frowned upon – religion, the Emerald Claw holds no such position. I look forward to hearing your explanation to him of this. And while you’re doing this, I have a message for your boss or Emrena’s. Whom ever this ‘queen’ she mentions in her letter is and it’s quite simple. Emrena is a f*ckup. She’s cost you the use of several powerful undead, has failed in her missions, pursued a personal vendetta against orders for the sake of a lover so stupid he got himself killed saving her from being inconvenienced, led us to this hidden temple and has brought nothing but grief to her masters. I’d advise your ‘queen’ to think carefully if she wants to retain the services of a loose cannon that’s as incompetent as she is. Make sure she thinks long and hard about this. Because we are going to have to go after Emrena’s phylactery and even if we die trying, I guarantee, there’s going to be enough collateral damage, that your 'Queen' will NOT be pleased.”

It was about that time that Korm’s sword finally cut her in half and the light went out of Emrena’s eyes as she crumbled into dust. “I do believe we can go get the watch now.”

Hazal stared for a moment, and then turned on his heel and strode away.

“Ah, I can’t argue with that, Edgar. Can’t argue with that.”

shilsen

Adventurer
As Hazal turns to walk away, there’s a semi-human snarl from behind Nameless. Luna is back on her paws and utterly pissed off at what just happened, mostly because she didn’t get to do anything during the battle. “It’s his house? That does it – he’s going down!”

Luckily, Nameless is just that half a second faster, and his antimagic field pops into existence just in time to disrupt her empowered flame strike. And to snap her back from giant wolf to shifter form. “Grraaghh!!” screams Luna, “Don’t do that!”

As she tries to retreat out of the field, Nameless follows, keeping her within it, explaining quickly, “Listen – we’re still in Sharn and this guy hasn’t attacked us! We’ve also killed a couple of innocent people, remember? So let’s not exacerbate the situation. We got Emrena, and getting rid of the vampires we fought should be our first priority. Let’s get Balan here so it’s all official. Okay?”

Luna subsides grumpily and Nameless quickly dispatches Korm to do the needful. Less than an hour later, the temple is swarming with members of the Watch, with Balan and two other members of the Blackened Book also present. The Angels explain what happened in detail and also learn from him that he – and most people in Sharn – had no idea that there was a hidden temple to the Blood of Vol beneath the mansion owned by the wealthy merchant Lan Hazal. Questioning Lan and others present reveals that the temple has been in existence for years and the populace of the district Graywall, most of whom are Karrns, visit it secretly to pray and give blood as is traditional. The vast majority of them had no idea that Emrena and other members of the Emerald Claw were being sheltered by Lan, who also seems to have done it more from a sense of allegiance to the Blood of Vol than because he supported their actions against the Angels. Despite that, his aid to them counts as a significant mark against him, just as the fact that the Angels killed two innocent worshippers of the Blood of Vol is a problem, however well-intentioned their actions were. On behalf of the group, Nameless offers to pay a hefty recompense to the families, which Balan says should help him in ensuring the events don’t cause a major problem for them.

Besides the discussion, once Balan arrives the Angels track down the vampires which they had vanquished, by the simple expedient of having Korm summon a phantom stag, use it to turn ethereal and then ride back and forth through the floors and walls of the temple till he finds the secret compartments where they lie. The undead, having returned in gaseous form to their coffins and in the process of recovering from the battle, have a rude awakening as adamantine weapons break down the stone barriers behind which they lie. And crumble to dust as they are then swiftly decapitated.

With affairs at the temple taken care of, the Angels head back to the Gray House, with Luna grousing all the way about not being allowed to strip the temple bare and take everything in it. The fact that the group recovered numerous powerful magical items from Emrena, including a runestaff that will allow him to teleport them more often and a farspeaking amulet that enables long-distance communication (evidently the one that she used to communicate with the spy on board the Serenity during the attempt on Haydith’s life), makes little difference, with Luna arguing that she “really wanted those damn carpets!”

Luckily, once they are back home, Nameless finds something to distract her, though not necessarily in the happiest way. “Tell me,” he asks the group, “Did you notice anything peculiar when Emrena’s antimagic field hit you?”

Korm frowns. “Peculiar? You mean like the fact that none of my spells worked, none of my magic items and enhancements worked, and three vampires were trying to kill me?”

Luna snorts. “Bah! They didn’t do anything to you. They were too busy beating up on Six and me!”

Nameless sighs. “No. I meant something besides the obvious. I only experienced it for a second when I passed through her field, but that was enough, especially since I was paying attention for its recurrence when I cast mine. Mordain’s programmed amnesia was suppressed at that point, and I got a lot of memories back.”

Gareth scowls. “Now you mention it, I felt something as if something strange was going on besides what Korm said, but I was a little too busy. What did you remember?”

Nameless shakes his head. “It’s difficult to remember, since I was a little distracted. Both times,” he adds, favoring Luna with a dirty look, “And since the memories are gone again, though I know they existed. Let’s just say we weren’t as happy about these augmentations as we remember.”

“I knew it!” says Luna. “I’m going to kill that bastard! Come on, let’s go get him!”

“Yes, yes,” says Nameless impatiently, “I’m sure we can do that at some point. But right now we’ve got more important things to do, since we need to find Emrena’s phylactery before she can reform. And then deal with this seed in the Mournland. Mordain can wait. I’ll use another antimagic field tomorrow so we can work out precisely what memories were replaced and added.”

“All right. I’m sure we’ll recall being completely screwed over,” says Korm with grim relish, “But we still have some things to do today. You’re supposed to contact Saala again, Nameless.”

“Yes, I remember. And I want to send a message to Corven too, since we need to find out when his expedition is heading into the Mournland. But first Saala….” Nameless casts his spell and asks Saala if there is anything new to report.

Saala replies, “No signs of problem with seals yet. Thought of location in Marches worth investigating. Can you come here? If so, meet at Pool of Shadows.”

Nameless repeats what she said to the others. “I’ll just send Fett off with a letter to Corven via the Sivis post and we can leave.”

Barely an hour later, the Guardian Angels are back at the Pool of Shadows, sitting across from the leader of the Gatekeepers. The insane dragon Thlie is also present in her usual form of a crippled human woman, and she greets them by walking up to the group and carefully sniffing them individually up and down. Then, apparently satisfied, she announces with certainty, “You have changed. Much.”

“Yes,” says Nameless, “We know. But can you tell us anything about our changes? Or about the seed?”

Thlie cocks her head, a thin line of drool running over her lower lip, and asks curiously, “Seed? What seed?”

Saala interrupts, “I have already asked Thlie about the seed. She has had no visions about it. I’ll inform you at once if she does, but she has no control over them, so I cannot say when that might be.” Thlie turns to look at her friend, smiles brightly – if a trifle vacantly – and walks over towards the pool. Reaching the edge, she stares into the dark water for a few seconds, and then lets herself fall face-first into it. Only to reappear a couple of seconds later in her draconic form and slowly swim along the surface.

Saala looks at her fondly for a moment and then turns back to the Angels. “I have some important news,” she begins, causing the adventurers try to focus on her and avoid being distracted by the huge black dragon blowing bubbles in the background. “As I mentioned, there are no signs at the manifest zones I have visited of any effects from this seed’s planting. But that may be because they are all sealed. As some of you know, there are manifest zones of Xoriat in the Shadow Marches than anywhere else in the world. And while many are blocked by dimensional seals and guarded by us, others are not, especially those below the surface of the land. There is one particular area which is known to have an especially strong link to Xoriat and which has been held by aberrations for a long time. It is in a cavern of Khyber, tunnels from which – rumor says – eventually lead to the domain of Kyrzin.”

While Luna, Gareth and Six do not react in any way to the name, Nameless and Korm exchange glances. “Kyrzin,” repeats the alienist, “The prince of slimes and oozes, the daelkyr lord said to lurk beneath the Marches?”

“Yes. However, to the best of my knowledge, which is admittedly limited here, this manifest zone is still far from his domain. Maybe investigating it will reveal some change or result of the seed. I do not ask you to do it now, but as soon as you can. Perhaps I can show you the place today and you can go directly there when you are free to do so?”

“All right,” says Nameless. “I agree,” adds Six cautiously, “But can you tell us more about this place?”

“There is not that much to tell. It is a powerful manifest zone, deep under the earth. The daelkyr built many fortresses in the Shadow Marches when they invaded and one was there. After the daelkyr ruling the fortress was driven back to Xoriat when the plane was sundered from our world, the Gatekeepers of the time demolished the fortress and placed guards – and a dimensional seal – over the manifest zone. Centuries and millennia passed and our numbers dwindled, and eventually, this was one of the sites where aberrations from Khyber killed and drove off our people. We recaptured the site on multiple occasions and lost it as many times, and the seal was eventually destroyed in the battles. Finally, the location fell into the hands of the aberrations for the last time some three hundred years ago, and has not been recaptured since.” Her eyes flicker to Korm as she adds, “The last attempt was made approximately fifty years ago. One of our heroes, Harran’dal, was part of that expedition, from which nobody returned.”

Korm’s face sets in grim lines. “He was my great-grandfather. I did not see him, but I would like to see the spot where he fell.”

Saala nods and continues, “I have never been inside the place, nor do I know anyone who has, but the lore passed down to me says that the entrance leads into a maze of tunnels and caverns leading deep into Khyber. You should continually head downwards, till you eventually enter a giant cavern through which an underground river runs. The manifest zone is on the far side of the river. Tunnels from this area lead further and deeper into Khyber, presumably eventually leading to Kyrzin’s domain.”

Half an hour later, Saala points across the marsh to a rocky hill that rises out of the swamplands around it, indicating the dark cave mouth which faces the group. “There is the entrance.”

Nameless looks around, committing the spot to memory. “We’ll come here some time within the next two days, but I’m not sure exactly when.” He reaches in a pouch and produces a red crystal, one of the four keyed to the farspeaking amulet. “Keep this with you, and I shall speak to you through it daily, so we can exchange information.”

As has become habitual with the Angels, a short time later they are at the other end of Khorvaire, waiting for a meeting with Prince Ryger ir’Wynarn.

“Now, remember,” says Luna, glaring around at the others, “You’re to be on your best behavior around him. Nobody mentions anything about being fat, about hair, and definitely not about me supposedly being pregnant. I am not having anyone be rude to me in front of my boyfriend!”

Gareth thinks for a second about asking if Ryger knows he’s her boyfriend, but self-preservation causes him to not mention it. Nameless sighs and says, “We’re not here because he’s your boyfriend, Luna. This is business. We need to find out about this Farlnen island that Emrena’s phylactery is supposedly on, and it’s within the Principalities, so he’s our best bet. That’s all.”

“You’re sure about this Farlnen as the location?” asks Gareth.

“That’s what Cyäegha told me, and it’s the best bet we have. Let’s see what Ryger can tell us.”

At this point, the major-domo comes up to lead them into a large sitting room, where the self-proclaimed ruler of the Lhazaar Principalities is waiting. The rakish ex-buccaneer greets the Angels warmly, especially Luna, and invites them to be seated. After pouring some drinks and a modicum of small talk, he gets directly to the point. “Can I assume that this visit means you are actively investigating the people who were impersonating you – and who attacked my ships?”

Damn! “Actually,” Nameless says, as politely as he can, “We have a number of things on our plate right now, and need to deal with certain things before we can investigate that situation.”

“I see,” Ryger’s tone is disappointed, but there is an additional wariness in his eyes as they meet Nameless’. Despite the alienist’s best efforts, the changes in him automatically predispose strangers to view him oddly. Nameless’ eyes speak, if not of madness, of the fact that he has seen sights in comparison to which the one they currently gaze on is infinitesimally unimportant, and the undertones of his raspy voice only underline that impression. While those who know him can and do overlook the changes, for someone new to him, it is a fairly startling experience.

Knowing this, Gareth steps in smoothly. “We are currently dealing with one of the situations Nameless mentioned, and we hoped you could give us some information. The sooner we have it out of the way, the sooner we will be able to deal with whoever it was that attacked your ships.”

“All right,” says Ryger, “What do you need to know?”

“What can you tell us of Farlnen?” asks Nameless. “I believe the island is within your borders?”

Ryger looks puzzled. “Farlnen? Within the Principalities, yes, but far from here. It’s a deserted island up to the north, and far to the west. Why are you interested in it?”

Deciding that honesty is the best policy here, Nameless says, “As you may have read in the Korranberg Chronicle, we had a run-in with a lich. We finally vanquished her and I believe her phylactery is on Farlnen. Guarded by an undead dragon, probably a dracolich. Can you tell us anything about that?”

Ryger’s puzzled expression diminishes only slightly, and he shakes his head. “I know nothing about liches and undead dragons, there and elsewhere. The only dragons in the Principalities,” he adds with a touch of pride, “Are my Seadragons. As for Farlnen, it’s supposed to be deserted. The place is just a giant rock, mostly covered with ice, due to the cold up there, and with dangerous rocks all around it, so nobody goes there.”

“Do you have any maps of the place?”

“Only sailing charts showing the place and its location relative to other places in the Principalities. As I said, nobody goes there and I’m not sure it has ever been mapped out. But you are welcome to study our charts. They will help if you wish to sail there.”

Korm chuckles and Nameless smiles thinly. “We will not be sailing. But I appreciate the offer. I would like to see those charts.”

Ryger nods. “I’ll have them brought to you. You are welcome to stay here as long as you need.”

“Thank you for your hospitality. We will leave early tomorrow morning.”

“In the morning?” Though Ryger hides it well, Gareth is certain that the prince is a little surprised to have his hospitality so eagerly and fully accepted. “I shall have dinner and rooms arranged for you.”

That night, a couple of hours after the Angels have headed to bed, the major-domo knocks on the door of their room, to inform them that there is someone to see them.

“I wonder who knows we are here,” says Six, before asking, “Who is he?”

“I do not know the man, sir, but he says you will wish to speak to him if I tell you he is from ‘the Lady.’” The major-domo looks at the Angels quizzically. “Should I call the guard and have him removed?”

“No,” says Nameless wearily, “We’ll speak to him.”

“Very well, sir. Do you wish Prince Ryger to be informed?”

“No, that’s all right. Thank you.”

As the Angels follow the major-domo, Gareth says, “Hey – where’s Luna? Considering this might lead to another fight, I thought she’d be all over this.”

Korm chuckles. “She didn’t join us after dinner, remember? She’s probably all over Ryger instead.”

“By the Flame! That’s not a visual I needed!”

The messenger, a young man in traveler’s clothes, is waiting patiently in a meeting room. Nameless’ arcane sight instantly informs him that a faint illusion masks the man’s form and that there are two spots of strong divination in his eyes. Once the major-domo has left, the man says, “Please do not be alarmed. I come in peace bearing a message.” Then he speaks a word and the illusion fades, revealing the pale, fanged visage of a vampire. Each of his eyes bears a small yellow spot, which swiftly expands till a bright yellow glow fills them. The vampire goes rigid, and when he speaks, the voice is clearly not his own. It is just as clearly female, though with a rough, raspy quality to it.

“Greetings,” she says, gleaming eyes flickering around the Angels, “You may call me the Lady.”

Nameless smiles. No real surprise here. He studies the new auras that sprang up around the vampire and surmises that it is a spell variant of the farspeaking amulet, except allowing a speaker to do so through a willing vessel. “Lady Vol, I presume?”

The voice takes on a slightly amused tinge, but simply repeats, “You may call me the Lady,” before continuing, “I wished to speak to you because of recent events. You have had issues with the Blood of Vol and the Emerald Claw and the lich Emrena. What is your aim in this area?”

Six answers instantly, the irritation clear in his metallic tone, “To get her to leave us the hell alone!”

“I see,” is the placid answer. “And what about the Blood of Vol or the Emerald Claw? Are you working actively against them?”

“No,” says Nameless. “We have no interest in them. Those idiots keep attacking us!”

“You did, however, attack an Emerald Claw cell in Karrnath, did you not?”

“Yes, but that was as a favor for our hosts. We have no real interest in them.”

Gareth speaks up at this point. “The Emerald Claw is a terrorist organization and has plagued Karrnath – and the rest of Khorvaire – for decades. If I had my way I would see them wiped out, but as my companions said, that’s not our goal right now. I say this in the interests of honesty.”

Korm guffaws and looks at Six. “I love it when he’s diplomatic!”

Six’s metal face shows no response, but Nameless frowns, says, “You’re not helping, Gareth,” and then replies to the Lady, “We wanted nothing more to do with Emrena but she’s the one who attacked us. And through her foolishness she may have released Xoriat on Khorvaire.”

Though the vampire’s face doesn’t change, there is clearly surprise in the voice speaking through him. “Xoriat?”

“Yes, Xoriat, the Realm of Madness, which has been separated from…”

“Yes,” says the Lady, with a trace of impatience, “I know what Xoriat is. But what does this have to do with Emrena?”

“I don’t have time or inclination to go into details, but there was a seed in me which will enable the doors between Xoriat and our world to open once it is planted and comes to full fruit, with my death being required for it to plant itself. And Emrena killed me.”

“I see you have … recovered?”

“Yes,” says Nameless. “Death and I don’t seem to be on speaking terms. Anyhow, now Emrena’s actions mean Xoriat will come again, and apparently you know what that means. We are trying to prevent it, and that’s another reason why we need to deal with Emrena once and for all. We cannot have that f*ck-up showing up and interfering at some crucial moment.”

“I … see,” says the Lady thoughtfully. “This changes the situation drastically. You are sure of this?”

“Yes.”

“Very well. That does not change what I wished to tell you, but it does make it even more appropriate. I contacted you to inform you that Emrena will not be a problem for you any further.”

“Good,” says Nameless. “And to be certain of that, we will need her phylactery.”

The vampire shakes its head mechanically. “No. I shall ensure that she does not bother you ever again.” There is just the faintest flicker of dark humor beneath the bare statement.

“How do we know that?” says Gareth, frowning.

The vampire’s head turns, its yellow gaze studying the paladin. “Because I said so.”

Gareth’s face shows his disbelief, but Nameless quickly says, “Very well. As long as she leaves us alone, we leave her alone.”

“And the Blood of Vol and the Emerald Claw.” It is a statement, not a question. “As long as you take no further actions against either the Blood of Vol or the Emerald Claw, I have no interest in you. If you do, then you shall be obliterated. Agreed?”

“Yes!” says Six, before anyone else can say anything. The warforged adds, “We are all agreed!” Though a little surprised at the vehemence, none of the others contradict him.

After a couple of seconds, the Lady says, “Good. I am pleased we could come to an agreement. I wish you luck in your quest regarding Xoriat. If I can aid in some way, I shall inform you. Now, I suggest you stand back.”

The Angels don’t bother to ask questions but quickly comply. As they back away, there is a small explosion and the vampire falls in on itself, being reduced to a gray cloud which makes its way sluggishly towards the door.

“Well,” says Korm, “That’s certainly one way to ensure your messenger isn’t tracked back to you. So, Six, why so quick to agree? Not that I’m saying there was anything wrong with that.”

“Because given half a chance you idiots will get me killed. The fewer enemies we have coming after us right now, the better,” explains Six. “And now this is taken care of, we just have Mordain’s memories, a manifest zone in the Marches, and a daelkyr invasion to take care of. Peachy!”

Sidekick

First Post
This is such teasing. The story is getting really really cool and yet I know that a TPK is waiting to rear it's ugly little head.

muzza ruzza fuzza D1ck Dastardly....

oh P.S. Shil - good stuff

Furby076

First Post
Sidekick said:
This is such teasing. The story is getting really really cool and yet I know that a TPK is waiting to rear it's ugly little head.

muzza ruzza fuzza D1ck Dastardly....

oh P.S. Shil - good stuff

Great Shil is going to TPK us not because he wants to TPK us but because he wants to screw with the readers of this thread....

Oh I updated my paladin character on our character thread:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=182305

Remove ads