• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Furby076

First Post
Rackhir said:
So Nameless went down, but then I remembered the Contingency [Prot Energy : Fire],

Maybe some people can chime in with their thoughts on this. Personally, for something like contingency if it is worded "When someone casts a fire spell that will affect me, then activate". Well then the moment someone casts a fire spell (e.g. fireball) on the person with contingency it should activate to protect them.

shilsen

Adventurer
AviLazar said:
Maybe some people can chime in with their thoughts on this. Personally, for something like contingency if it is worded "When someone casts a fire spell that will affect me, then activate". Well then the moment someone casts a fire spell (e.g. fireball) on the person with contingency it should activate to protect them.
Why not start a thread on the Rules Forum on the subject? Or resurrect one of the following ones. The first thread is by Rackhir and the following one has links to a lot of other Contingency threads:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=190300

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=138379

carborundum

Adventurer
That update was a joy to read - the characters just get more and more real - you're getting mighty good at this!

Nice Benny Hill ending too ;)

shilsen

Adventurer
carborundum said:
That update was a joy to read - the characters just get more and more real - you're getting mighty good at this!

Thanks. I can't take all the credit in that update, since a lot was taken from the forums we use for handling stuff between sessions, so I was using stuff written by the players. But I did throw in some things, as I do in every writeup, to give a better sense of the individual characters. It definitely helps that they're all so very distinctive.

Nice Benny Hill ending too ;)

It just seemed the appropriate response. Lalia is fun to NPC :)

And here's the next bit (in 2 parts, since the forum is misbehaving) ...

The next morning, the Angels gather in Nameless’ conjuration chamber. Except for Luna, who has been sent off to inform Gurr’khan that they will be a little late for their planned meeting in the park, grumbling and protesting that she wants to be there to “see Nameless’ brain come out of his ears.”

Attempting to prevent that from occurring, the alienist first uses a limited wish and then a contact other plane, trying to contact Cyäegha. Once he completes it, the alienist feels his consciousness expand, accompanied by the mildly narcotic pleasure that always accompanies his use of this spell. His vision darkens and then the chamber around him quickly fades, replaced by a dark gray expanse. In front of him hangs the glowing web pulsing with light, which represents the reservoir of cosmic knowledge that he is currently in contact with. The web is unusually bright this time, with literally every sections illuminated, since Nameless is attempting a supremely high degree of contact.

As always, there is a growing physical pressure inside his head, which disappears suddenly. And then comes the expected mental command – Ask.

Nameless waits for the irresistible force that transported him the last time that he attempted this spell, into contact with Cyäegha. But nothing happens.

After a few seconds, the mental command repeats itself – Ask.

Perhaps the disappearance of the aura means my link to Xoriat has changed. Uncertain what he can do about that, Nameless searches the area around him. And then he notices another thing that is different. A section of the dark gray space, ‘below’ the gleaming web, is shot through with tiny flickers of green and purple.

Let’s try this, then. Nameless concentrates on that area, attempting to break through to Xoriat and Cyäegha by an exercise of will.

As he concentrates, Nameless’ consciousness drifts forward and down, passing through the web of light and nearing the section of grayness that has drawn his attention. The purple and green flecks seem to increase in number and size, and then he runs into a solid obstruction. Or, more precisely, a glutinous one. It gives slightly at the impact but holds firm. Nameless concentrates and the barrier bends gradually, but it does not break. The alienist continues to focus, feeling a slow headache begin, and again the obstruction is stretched but still holds.

Finally, Nameless considers utilizing prepared arcane energy in an attempt to break through. He uses his most powerful summoning, trying to channel the energy into the obstruction. Instantly, he feels the invisible obstruction rupture and tear around him. The grayness dissolves into pure blackness and Nameless shoots forward into it. As the darkness surrounds him, giant tentacles appear, reaching out towards him. Everything goes black.

Back in Sharn, the others watch warily as Nameless’ eyes go completely black, and he shudders slightly. “I wonder if that’s how things are supposed to go,” says Gareth.

Six shakes his head mechanically. “Nothing we ever do is how things are supposed to go. As long as he doesn’t grow tentacles, I’ll be happy.” He glances at the appendage that grows out of Nameless’ left shoulder. “More tentacles, I mean.”

The darkness clears, and Nameless finds himself back within the gigantic cavern, right in front of the giant eyeball of Cyäegha. Though the alienist himself cannot see a physical form in the position he occupied, he realizes that the huge orb is focused on him. As before, the first sensation he feels is the wave of cosmic, but impersonal, evil. Then it passes and there is only the consciousness of Cyäegha bent to consider the interloper.

Behind the crushing weight of the Great Old One's gaze, Nameless detects a tinge of amusement and, overlying it, expectation. As before, a pounding sensation fills the alienist’s head, which resolves into words. “You. Return. Hu-man. What. You. Desire. ?” Also, as before, Nameless feels his consciousness beginning to crumble. I don’t have much time.

Gareth, Six and Korm watch drops of blood appear at each of Nameless’ nostrils. “Should I try healing him?” Gareth whispers, “I am not about to attempt any mental contact with him, though I am sure he would laugh if I attempted such a thing – and probably dare me to do it. He said this being he encountered was pure evil, so maybe casting a protection from evil would help Nameless. Especially if this thing tries to control his mind.”

Korm shrugs. “Honestly, I have no clue. I don’t think anyone in the world really would, and even Nameless is mostly playing things by ear, I feel. But try it if you want.” He adds, “If you blow up or something, I’ll put you back together.”

“Thanks,” Gareth mutters sarcastically, “That makes me feel much better!” Then he casts a magic circle against evil on himself and slowly moves closer to Nameless, letting the aura envelop the alienist’s form.

Nameless replies to Cyäegha, “I have a bargain to offer you. There are few with the will and the strength to be able to survive your presence long enough to make such an offer, fewer still who can reach out to Xoriat. I need information and power, of which you have an unlimited amount. In exchange I offer you what you don’t have and can’t possess on your own.”

“Limitations.”

“You are ‘All-Seeing’, but that is the same in many respects as seeing nothing, as you found earlier when you were unaware of my presence. It takes limitations to give vision meaning. When my natural life span has passed, you will subsume me and my limitations will then give your vision meaning.”

Cyäegha doesn’t respond for a few seconds, and Nameless has the inordinate pleasure of realizing that he has just managed to momentarily stump a Great Old One. Being in Cyäegha’s presence makes it easy to pick up its – for lack of a better word – emotions due to the sheer force it exerts, and right now it is clearly attempting to understand a concept that is significantly alien to it.

Finally, it again focuses on Nameless, and he again finds his consciousness beginning to bend under the weight. “Why. Limitations.? Need. No. Limitations. Need. Nothing.” There is another surge of amusement tinged with cruelty. “You. Here. Now. Can. Absorb. Now.” A giant tentacle rises languidly from the forest of them that stretch below the gigantic orb and reaches up towards Nameless.

The tentacle momentarily fills the alienist's vision as it passes through him, and there is an intensely draining feeling. But then the tentacle and the feeling are gone, though the weakness remains. And Cyäegha’s gaze. Which is touched for a moment by curiosity and then amusement, similar to that felt by a child seeing an ant perform an unexpected trick. “Not. Fully. Here. Now. Rare. Interesting.” There is a pause, and Nameless gets the sense that Cyäegha is attempting something that it very rarely – or never – does. “Listen. Will. I. What. Want. You?”

Even though Nameless is now fully within the magical circle of protection, there is no visible effect. Other than that more drops of blood are beginning to appear from the alienist’s nostrils, forming a sluggish stream that begins to drip onto the floor.

“This can’t be good.” Gareth places his hands on Nameless, with just a moment’s hesitation, and then channels some healing energy into the alienist.

Nameless asks, “First, I need to know exactly what the aura in my chest was.”

There’s a pause as Nameless waits for an answer, and then an excruciating pain. Through the agony, he realizes that Cyäegha is plumbing his thoughts and memories. The piercing ache slowly drops to a dull throb and Cyäegha’s mental voice speaks again. But now the manner of speech is changed and its tone is significantly different. And familiar. It takes a second before Nameless realizes that the voice being used by Cyäegha, even if distorted, is his own.

The voice says, “This is better. Now I can speak to you in your language. Such an ineffective method. Very crude. Perhaps I can modify you for better...,” it pauses, “...no, perhaps later. The aura was a ... perhaps the best word is ‘seed.’ It is born of the daelkyr that first brought you to me – which planted it in you. And also of the one in your mind. It was to lay roots in your world and branch forth to mine, sundering the walls between the dimensions, again allowing the daelkyr and their hordes to travel to your world.” There is a pause and then it adds dismissively, “Frivolous fools.”

Not a fan of the daelkyr, then. Maybe I can use that in some way. “Thank you,” says Nameless. “If this ‘seed’ was a gate to Xoriat, I need to know how to close it or how to prevent it from opening.”

“It is not a gate. Now that it is planted, once it is come to full form it shall break the barriers. The old gates will open and new ones can be created. From your world to ours and from ours to yours. I have not created the seed, so I know little of its working, but perhaps slaying the daelkyr it is born of will destroy it. Or weaken it. Perhaps.”

Oh, great! “What is the name of the daelkyr?”

“Which one? The one who brought you to me the first time, or the one whose imprint is in your mind?”

So my facsimile was a daelkyr?“The one that planted the seed in me.”

“Antaryami, the Formless One, who brought you to me the first time in your form is the one who planted the seed in you. He is twin to the one that marked you – Antaratma, the Nameless one. And, I see, gave you your name.”

“Can we get to the Daelkyr before the seed has blossomed?”

“Antaryami? He dwells here on Xoriat. You and yours cannot travel here yet. You are here as consciousness only and soon will fade from here. Antaratma is bound below the surface of your world, and he has a connection to you and perhaps the seed. But I know not how long it will take for the seed to blossom.”

“Does the Daelkyr have any special vulnerabilities?”

“None more than any other daelkyr, and less than most, since both the Formless One and the Nameless One are lords of the daelkyr. What you call holy weapons should harm them.”

“What is the location of the seed on my plane?”

“I do not know. I can see much, but not all at once, so I do not always know where what I see is. And it has not blossomed, so I have not seen any manifestation. It may plant itself where the sources of your power come from, perhaps where Antaratma marked you.”

The Mournland! Nameless tries to commit everything he has heard to memory, but it’s significantly difficult. The constant throbbing headache is getting stronger, and his consciousness is fading. Even so, he notes that it has done so much more slowly than last time. That bears investigation. I wonder what else has changed.

Gareth looks at the others, a cloth held to Nameless’ nostrils, which is swiftly turning red from the blood now streaming from them. A slow stream is also emerging from each ear. “I can’t stop it, magically or otherwise, and it’s getting worse. It’s probably a byproduct of the spells he’s using.” He grimaces. “Of course, since he’s doing something that, as far as I know, nobody on the planet has been able to do in the last 7000 years, and what very few people were dumb enough to do before that, I’m mostly just guessing.”

“Maybe I should try a heal after all,” says Korm.

“Perhaps, but Nameless was insistent that you not use that spell on him even if something happens,” points out Six. “Do you have any idea why? Does the spell have any negative effects?”

“Not that I’ve ever heard,” says the Gatekeeper. “But who knows what applies with Nameless. Shall I try it?”

Lacking a body, Nameless cannot raise a hand to his throbbing head, where pain is beginning to turn into agony. Instead, he attempts to somehow extend his tenuous grip on consciousness and continue asking questions.

He asks hurriedly, “I need to know what happened when I was killed by Emrena the Red. Was I killed? Why did I not stay dead? And I need to know the location of her phylactery. And what form it takes.”

“Emrena’s last attack did slay you. It was the beat of your heart which kept the seed from being planted, so when it was no longer beating, the seed left you and planted itself in your world. You did not stay dead because Antaryami changed you when he found your essence floating in Xoriat after your first death, before you became conscious. He planted the seed in you and made you so that your soul could not truly depart your form after death until the seed was planted. So while the seed was planting itself, your soul remained within you. That allowed the changes made to you by the Fleshweaver to take effect, and so you rose again. You are...,” there is a moment of amusement, “...lucky.”

Yeah, I feel so lucky now! thinks Nameless, as Cyäegha continues, “Emrena’s phylactery is a small carved blue gemstone. It is on what your people would call the island of Farlnen, in the Lhazaar Principalities, inside an undead dragon belonging to the Lady.”

By the time the answer, short as it may be, is completed, Nameless can see nothing more. But before he can descend into complete darkness, he makes a last request, one that he has been planning to make ever since he last encountered Cyäegha. “The creatures I can summon with conventional spells are only shadows of the real entities of Xoriat. I wish to bind to my service an entity that is more fully of Xoriat. Something not bound by the restrictions of more pedestrian creatures.”

Though he cannot see Cyäegha any more, Nameless hears its – his – voice reply simply, “The bargain is made. I have marked you for my own.”

And then all thought and awareness ceases.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Nameless shudders slightly and then gently collapses into a heap on the floor. On the bright side, his brains aren’t actually coming out of his ears. On the dark side, he is bleeding out of both ears and nostrils, but it does seem to be slowing rapidly. On the aberrant side, a little picture appears on his forehead, of a stylized eyeball with wavy tentacles for eyelashes*. It doesn’t grow or emerge gradually, but is simply not there one moment and present the next.

“What in the Flame is that?” says Gareth, leaning down to take a look.

“Umm, Gareth…”

The paladin looks up at the spot Korm is indicating, to see a tiny spot of light hanging in mid-air only a couple of feet from his face. It looks like a tiny beam shining through a hole in a wall, except, of course, that there is neither hole nor wall in front of Gareth. The color is, appropriately enough, perhaps best described as a nauseating mixture of purple and green.

Gareth quickly rises and backpedals, clicking his fingers to make the Endless Blade appear from his magical hand. As he is doing so, the beam expands quickly in width, clearly forming an aperture. As soon as it is a foot wide, the tips of four grayish-green tentacles shoot through, pushing in all directions and swiftly widening the hole. The tentacles push through, until each is over ten feet in length and as wide around as Korm’s waist. Between them a shapeless and bulbous mass, primarily the color of milk gone sour but shot through with livid veins of multiple colors and shades, shoves against the hole. Then, as the tentacles seem to grasp onto the air and pull, the central mass squeezes through with a slurping sound. The ‘hole’ instantly closes behind it, leaving the creature, whatever it is, floating in mid-air over Nameless’ unconscious form, its tentacles stretching out over those in the room. The entire process takes only a couple of seconds.

There is an instant of stunned silence and then the Endless Blade delivers its summation of the sight. “Are you f*cking kidding me?!”

A moment later, the tentacles lash out at the Angels, while they hurriedly strike back at it. As it attacks, each of the Angels feels a surge of supernatural terror wash over him, but with an effort of will combined with the divine aura of Gareth’s presence, they resist it. Not as easy to resist are the thunderous blows of the tentacles, which hit with a power that would break a normal man in half.

Also, although the three warriors hack into the creature’s central mass or its tentacles, they find its form resistant to their blows. Swords and chain strike, tearing large rents in the creature, but its amorphous mass almost seems to flow away from the attacks, robbing them somewhat of their force. A colorless ichor drips from the wounds, emitting a pungent odor, but the drops disappear in mid-air. Despite the wounds, the creature shows no signs of slackening its attacks.

Thank the moons it appeared in this room, thinks Korm, realizing that its ability to fly and tentacles would make things much more difficult in a larger space. Even so, the creature is clearly very dangerous, and though he is confident they will soon dispatch it, the Gatekeeper figures a couple of lucky hits might kill one of them. And who knows if it has other abilities. “Gareth,” he shouts, “This thing may work like a summoned creature. Throw up a magic circle against evil and maybe that’ll stop it.”

“All right,” Gareth ducks under a tentacle and casts the spell. The result is not quite what Korm and he hoped for.

As he completes the spell, the creature pivots slightly, quite obviously shifting all its attention to the paladin even though it has neither eyes nor face to indicate that. Then all four tentacles lash at him, passing right through the magic circle . The giant appendages hit one by one, the first two knocking the paladin to a knee, and the next smashing him to the ground. The fourth tentacle curls as it comes down, turning into a massive club, and only a desperate effort by Gareth prevents it from smashing in his skull.** Even so, it smashes his shoulder.

And then both Gareth and the creature whiff out of existence.

Six, in the middle of launching a powerful blow, slips and almost falls as his target disappears. “Where’d it go?” He looks around quickly, experimentally whirling his chain to see if it’s somewhere around.

Korm looks around frantically as well and then says, “Screw it! Whatever he said, we need Nameless back up.” As he strides over to the alienist’s recumbent form, he can’t help adding, “If Xoriat just ate Gareth, he’d want to know.” And throw a party. The Gatekeeper casts a heal and reaches down.

Nameless shudders as the healing energy floods into him and his eyes snap open. There’s a second of disorientation and then he focuses, looking up at the big orc with sword in hand and bruises blackening his gray skin. “What happened?” Nameless attempts to sit up and then grabs at his head. “Ow!”

“You started bleeding and passed out. And then some strange creature with lots of tentacles popped in and started attacking us.”

The alienist looks around. “Where?”

“It was here a second ago. Gareth threw up a magic circle in case it was summoned in some way, but all it did was make it mad, I think. It smacked him around and then both of them disappeared. They were right over…”

Korm points and Gareth promptly reappears, the strange creature right next to and above him, its tentacles wrapped securely around him. The paladin’s face is pale and his eyes glazed over, as if he were dazed or drunk. Blood from the already inflicted wounds runs down his face.

“…there. How did I do that?” asks Korm, leaping to his feet, sword at the ready. “Six, Nameless – we have to get Gareth away from it.”

Even as he moves, the creature releases the paladin. Gareth looks around as if he has no idea where he is, looks up at the creature floating above him, and turns and runs for the door. The creature doesn’t respond in any way to his action and instead focuses on Six and Korm, its tentacles rearing up over them in readiness to smash down.

Before more violence can ensue, Nameless shouts a string of syllables. The others, who have learned a few words from him realize that it is the stomach-churning language of the daelkyr, but have no idea what he says. The effect, however, is immediate. The creature pauses, holding its position for a long second, and then retracts its tentacles and floats gently towards the alienist. “Nobody attack it,” he shouts, just in case.

“I’m not,” says Six, and the warforged then turns and rushes after Gareth. The paladin, however, has already reached the door, and he flings it open and runs out.

And bounces right off the giant hairy form of Luna, who has just returned and is heading for the room to see what happened. “What the hell?” she ejaculates, before staring past him at the creature. Immediately, she raises a huge paw and begins to growl arcane words.

“No! No flame strike!” yells Nameless urgently. “It’s a friend! Stop Gareth!”

The giant bear frowns and then swings its paw, taking Gareth off his feet. She then steps forward and squats down, causing him to disappear under her bulk, knowing that his magical necklace will prevent suffocation. Despite his magically enhanced strength, the immense weight promptly renders Gareth unable to move. “All right!” she growls, “Someone explain what that bloody thing is.” Then, more suspiciously, she adds, “Did you send me away and start a fight?”

“No, we didn’t start anything!” snaps Korm, sword still at the ready, before turning to Nameless and the creature. The latter now hovers above the alienist, and as Korm watches in mounting fascination and disgust, its tentacles snake down to wrap gently around Nameless in a ghastly facsimile of a mother cradling her baby. “What the hells is that thing? Or should I ask – what in Xoriat?”

“Close,” says Nameless. “I did see Cyäegha and I asked for an ally from Xoriat that I can summon to aid us in battle. This is it. Evidently it came with me when my consciousness returned to my body and attacked you by mistake.”

“Is that a mistake we can expect every time it’s here and you’re unconscious? You’re unconscious a lot, you know.”

Nameless grimaces, at the closing comment, not the tentacle snaking around his head and leaking ichor down the side of his face. “No, that should not happen again, now it knows you are friends.” He glances up at the creature and says, “Leave now.” It disappears instantly. “It is called Kha’tvan’ga,” Nameless explains. Now how did I know that? And I know all its abilities. Cyäegha must have placed the information in my head. I wonder if he put anything else in.

“How nice. What did it do to Gareth? Did it take him back to Xoriat or something?”

“And can I let him up?” puts in Luna, shifting uncomfortably. “He keeps wriggling.”

“Yes, do that.” Luna rises and shifts her weight, releasing both Gareth and the full sound of his yelling, which had been muffled by her fur and flesh.

The paladin instantly shuts up and rises to his feet, his eyes no longer fogged as they had been a few moments earlier. “What happened? I remember that thing attacking me and then we were somewhere … else … but … I’m not sure.” He shudders visibly. Even though his divine gifts make him immune to fear, and he cannot recall where he was or what he saw, he knows it was an experience he never ever wishes to repeat. All that he recalls is a sense of confusion and a feeling of helplessness and nakedness, not physical but spiritual, and chaotic madness that he has no words for.

“Kha’tvan’ga cannot transport anyone to Xoriat, but it can take an enemy to a place that is a shadow of Xoriat, and that can drive the creature mad or simply muddle its mind temporarily. You were lucky, Gareth!”***

“Yes, I feel blessed!” says Gareth, with a scowl. If what I saw, whatever it was, is only a shadow of Xoriat, then I absolutely need to stop it entering our world. Otherwise.... He shakes off the dark thoughts with a physical effort and asks, “Anyway, let’s forget that for now. What did you learn?”

“A fair amount, actually,” says Nameless. “Some good, some bad.”

* Sometimes, when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss finger-paints on your face.

** Gareth had really bad luck, with four attacks getting through the 20% miss chance from his Cloak of Displacement and then one criticalling him despite his Armor of Moderate Fortification. The players used a swashbuckling card to reduce the damage, otherwise he’d have been below -10.

*** If you make the save, then you don’t remember where you went. Because you don't wanna.

shilsen

Adventurer
And more material handled between sessions...

Nameless explains, “I have most of the answers we sought. I was able to strike a bargain with one of the Great Old Ones. There was a price, but at least it is a price only I will have to pay. The gate – or more precisely, seed – is, alas, real. But we do have some time, though I do not know exactly how much, before the seed takes hold and is fully formed. I was given some clues as to where we might find it, but not an exact location. Fortunately, it does not appear that it will form in Sharn. The most likely location is in the Mournland, be that for weal or woe. Hopefully the effects of the Mournland will impede its growth. However, we will likely have to kill a daelkyr lord, possibly two, if we hope to seal the gate. We will need holy weapons to slay them. Gareth at least has such, and the rest of you we will have to procure weapons with the enchantment. We should do so promptly.”

He continues, “I was also able to obtain the information we need to hunt down Emrena the Red and destroy her permanently. I feel we should strike as soon as possible. We can’t afford any more interruptions like the one she sprang on us. It won’t be simple though, since her phylactery is apparently in some sort of an undead dragon. Located on the island of Farlnen, in the Lhazaar Principalities.”

“The Principalities?” asks Luna, perking up at the mention of Ryger’s land.

Gareth gives her a dirty look and moves up to help Nameless to his feet. “A dracolich? I had once heard a rumor that members of the Emerald Claw had tried to recover a dragon skeleton from the ancient graveyards of Q’barra and raise it as a dracolich. But there was never any recorded sighting of one.”

Nameless corrects him, “I didn’t say it was a dracolich. All I learned was that it is undead. As for news and rumors, the most recent mention, I believe, of a dragon in that area was a case of a blue dragon settling in the north-eastern Mror Holds nearly a century ago. It disappeared within a couple of years of its first appearance.” He rubs at his forehead. “I feel sore.”

Gareth says, “I think the creature that you sold your soul to has also marked your forehead.” He points Nameless to a mirror. While the alienist examines the mark, Gareth sighs and then says, “While it may only affect you, I am not happy that your soul has been sold to something. Or about what you brought back with you. But I’ll say this – you have done an amazing thing and sacrificed a lot for us, Nameless.”

Nameless looks at him with mild surprise, absent-mindedly rubbing the mark, and says, “I am starting to suspect that the Fates regard me as a child’s dress-up doll, but you misunderstand me, Gareth. It is not my soul that was payment – that holds no value to the Great Old Ones – but my mortality and identity. Or perhaps I simply surprised and amused it, at least apparently enough to give me some aid. But it was my rash actions that unleashed the seed. I should have been more careful with the lich. And so I must do what I can.”

Korm looks at Six. “Gareth just thanked Nameless and Nameless just said he was rash about something. Does this strike you as wrong, somehow?”

“Yes,” says Six. “Clearly we sent Nameless and got something else back. And Gareth suffered mental damage after being hugged by that creature.”

Gareth waves a hand dismissively and continues, “But back to business. I agree we should find and destroy Emrena the Red. As for the holy weapons, we can get scrolls to enchant weapons with such abilities.” He looks at Luna. “You will have to use a weapon, other than your claws, for this enchantment to work. Maybe a huge club, by turning into a creature that can wield it – like an ape.”

“Yeah, whatever,” says Luna. “We can decide when we need to. So are we going to the Principalities, then? Then I’ll need a new dress.”

Ignoring her, Gareth states, “Well, here is the proposed plan: One – We notify all necessary parties of the news. Two – We acquire items to take on a lich and a dracolich – maybe getting the help of Cedric. Three – Destroy said lich and dracolich. And four – try to find this daelkyr lord, destroy it and the seed.” Looking around at the group, he asks, “Does anyone disagree or have a different suggestion?”

“I suggest we not go running around telling everyone until…,” begins Six, but is interrupted by a knock on the door. He opens it to reveal Fett’s curious face. “Flim Turen, that reporter from the Korranberg Chronicle, has showed up. Said he heard about the trouble last night. Of course, I’m guessing all of Upper Tavick’s has.”

Gareth says, “I’ll cover this. Luna, please make sure that Nameless is completely restored and back to full health. He may require some extra special care and treatment that you can provide, so please give him your undivided attention.” And stay in here.

He walks up the stairs to find Flim waiting in the sitting room. “Hello, Flim. How are you? Have a seat. You have questions, I am sure.”

“Hello,” says Flim. “I heard – and saw, considering the state of your door – that you had some trouble last night. Care to tell me about it?”

“Sure. Where to begin...?” After a little thought, Gareth embarks on a quick coverage of what happened. When he gets to the battle, he says, “Nameless was killed in the battle. Can we go off-the-record?”

Flim’s eyes get big at the news and he starts scribbling furiously, before stopping at the question. “Umm, sure – but you can’t expect me to not mention that he was killed. I’m sorry about it, but that’s big news. But can you guys try to bring him back? And what’s the off the record thing?”

Looking Flim squarely in the face, Gareth shakes his head. “Before I go on, off the record means off the record. If there is information you think you have to print, then I will not go further, and our relationship will have to end.”

Flim grins. “Relationship will have to end? What are you getting so serious about? Remember, you guys also get some serious cachet out of how much coverage the Chronicle gives you. And it’s a newspaper. An attack in the middle of the night in Upper Tavick’s will get covered, whether it’s you guys or anyone else, and if I don’t cover it someone else will. And he’ll get a good deal of info even if you don't talk to him. So you’re much better off talking to me and having me keep as much as I can out of the paper. Remember, I’ve done that before for you. In short, the attack will be covered, whether you want it to be or not. But some of the details I can leave out. Is that fair enough?”

“The topic at hand is extremely serious, Flim, and I was not saying the first part of the conversation should remain off-the-record. If I wanted that off the record I would not have mentioned anything. It is the next part – after Nameless died, that needs to remain totally off the record. Let me know if you can agree to that before I tell you more.”

“Sure. That should be possible.”

After thinking for a moment, Gareth says, “I hate to be a lawyer about this. But I need a definitive answer. Will you keep what I am about to say off the record, or will you not?”

Flim rolls his eyes. “Hating it sure isn’t stopping you. And yes, I’ll keep what you tell me now off the record. Sheesh!”

Ignoring Flim’s eye rolling, Gareth explains, “Nameless is not dead. As far as the world is concerned, he needs to remain dead. I am telling you this because I want to keep an honest relationship with you. Emrena wanted revenge against Nameless, and we need to kill her. She will try again if she thinks Nameless is alive – so the world has to think he is dead.”

“Huh? So you just lied to me about him having died?”

Gareth raises an eyebrow. “No. Nameless did die. He is not dead now.”

“Oh, okay. So you raised him? Or reincarnated, I guess, with Korm and Luna around?” Flim scratches his nose in thought. “Yeah, I could leave that out and say you informed me that Nameless was slain in the attack. When he shows up again eventually, you can always say you raised him then, or whatever you want. So was that what you didn’t want mentioned? Or is there something else?”

“That’s it. Simply do not mention he is alive.”

“Okay, I won’t mention it. So what are you guys planning to do next? Go after this Emrena?”

“Off the record, she’s dead meat. On the record, we have a job to do for a group that wishes to remain anonymous.”

“All right.” Flim makes a note and then says, “If that’s all, I'll be off then. Best of luck.”

As he is about to depart, Gareth thinks of something. “Ah, actually, one more thing – I need to make a call to all good clerics and paladins for service. Would you be able to do that for me?”

“Umm ... what? You want to hire a bunch of people? Sure, we can handle that. Normally we’d charge for advertising, but for you guys, it’s free.”

“Hmm – not quite hiring them, no. More like giving them an opportunity to grow. We have many tasks on our plate, things that we do not have time to handle due to larger issues. We are trying to recruit groups and provide them with these jobs. I am looking to ensure these groups have the best possible influence, hence a call to all good clerics and paladins. We will be sending these younger groups on missions we do not have the time to handle, but are still important.”

Flim chuckles. “If you're talking adventurers, you’d better tell them you’re hiring. But at least you’ve got a decent rep. That should help. You might want to check at the Clifftop Adventuring Guild too. After all, you’re technically members there still, last I checked. Anyway, what do you want to put in the advertisement?”

“Just something basic like ‘Calling qualified adventurers of good moral character to perform tasks for the Guardian Angels.’ The difference between us and the adventuring guilds is that we are not charging fees, expecting cuts, etc. We may require the adventurers to turn over a certain item if it has some special significance to a greater quest – but we would not be asking adventurers to give us their treasure. We just need qualified people to do things we do not have time to.”

“No,” Flim clarifies, “What I meant was talking to the Adventurers Guild to see if people there were interested in doing some of this work that you want. At least the Clifftop folk are pretty reliable, unlike the Deathsgate Guild. And for the advertisement, you should add something about where they should contact you. You can’t use this house, since most adventurer-types won’t be allowed into this area. The Deneith guards will stop them well before they get anywhere close.”

“Ahh, that’s a good point.” Gareth smiles. “Well, as a first test, they will have to figure out how to get us word they are interested. If an adventurer can’t manage to get a message to us then I really don’t want them working for us.”

“Okay. I’ll just mention Sharn as the location and leave it at that. We should be able to get it in the next edition. Is there anything else?”

“No, thank you. Have a good day.”

After Flim leaves, Gareth heads downstairs to rejoin the others. “Okay, Nameless – the easy part was done. The world thinks you’re dead. Now it’s up to you to stay that way.” He looks around. “So what’s next on the agenda?”

“Well, Gurr’khan’s waiting for us,” reminds Luna. “He wasn’t happy to hear you’d be late.” She grins. “He’s really not going to be happy now!”

“Yes, we need to speak to him,” says Gareth. “And I need to talk to Lalia. And Cedric, to try to recruit him if he’s free. And I’ve got to put out a sending to my family to warn them. And then I’m going to the Archierophant to let her know we’ll be speaking with the Keeper of the Flame, and why.”

Korm sighs. “Maybe we should hold off on the running around and screaming about the end of the world…”

“And not warn anyone?” says Gareth. “That doesn’t make sense...”

“Yes, but we should do a little more checking,” puts in Nameless, “Before…”

“Wait – so am I going to see Ryger again or not?” asks Luna. “And when?”

Six looks around silently, as his companions begin to talk and argue at once. After a few seconds, he turns and heads for the door. As he steps out, Korm notices and asks, “Hey, Six – where are you going?”

“Down to the Cogs with our guards, to turn over the dead warforged to Six.”

“Aren’t you going to come with us?”

“No, I’m sure you’ll be fine. I’ll meet up with you afterwards.” And I’ll be the saner for it.

Six departs with Block and 142, the two remaining guards. His company makes transportation of the two warforged corpses easier, since he puts them in the portable hole, so that they do not need to obtain aid and carry them openly. With his presence, it is easy to leave Upper Tavick’s Landing through one of the checkpoints that House Deneith maintains at all entrances and exits to the ward, though whispers from some of the guards about the previous night’s events follow them. Once the three warforged have descended to Middle Tavick’s, Six disguises himself to resemble another warforged. His two companions do not comment on the change, stolidly plodding their way towards the lower levels of Sharn.

The trio descend until among the lower wards and then pass down into the Cogs, quickly blending in with the other warforged, whose numbers are highest here below the ground. Block leads the way to the Pool of Onatar’s Tears. Passing the magical pool of cool, crystal-blue water that sits untouched within a larger pool of blazing lava, they head for the small building near the pool and the forge built next to it. When Block knocks, the door is quickly opened by a warforged wearing a toolbelt and a leather apron, whom Six recognizes as Smith. “Ah, Block,” says the priest of Onatar, “I have not seen you in a long time. Come in. How can I help you? And who is this?”

Six drops his disguise after entering the building, surprising Smith. And even more so when he extracts the two warforged corpses from the extradimensional space. “Block said you would dispose of their bodies,” he says. “I’m here to observe the proceedings, if you don’t mind.”

“Certainly,” says Smith, “But first, what happened to them?” There is a deep sorrow in his metallic voice, as he indicates the dead warforged.

Six explains what happened, leaving out any mention of Nameless’ death or of the Xoriat-seed. Smith listens intently, only saying, “I see,” at the end of the narration. Then he leads Six and the two other warforged through the building, until they reach a small door at the rear. Passing through it, the four emerge into an area that cannot be seen from the outside of the building. Apparently the structure was built so that its rear blocked off a large indentation in the wall of the surrounding cavern, and that is where they now stand.

This area has been cleared of rubble and the ground is dotted with small mounds. Next to each mound rests an object, usually a weapon or a tool. “This is our ‘graveyard,’” Smith says. With the aid of Six and the others, he inters the two corpses in shallow graves, but not before scraping a certain amount of metal off their heads. “That will be melted down and used in the filigree work that some at the Red Hammer Inn do,” he explains, “So that their matter becomes part of those who remain.” After burying the dead, Smith puts a small mound above each and rests one of their weapons beside each mound.

When he leads the others back into the building, Six says, “If you have the time, I have some questions.”

“Yes,” says Smith. “What do you want to know?”

“Firstly, Smith – in your activities, have you noticed any strange things. People having visions or weird encounters?”

Though Smith’s metal face cannot show surprise or confusion, his posture implies the emotions. “I’m not sure what you mean. What did you have in mind?”

Six shrugs mechanically. “I’m not sure myself. We’ve had a few strange encounters and I was wondering if you had noticed anything weird recently.”

“Not really,” says Smith. “But if I notice anything I will let you know. Was there anything else?”

“Yes. Do you know anyone with docents? I am interested if any docents discovered have information about warforged history. And also if docents can teach the wielder or learn more skills. I know that no one has been able to create them, and I am looking for some way for this to be done.” And to find a way to build warforged, but I’m not quite ready to share yet.

Smith’s tone says he is trying to make sense of Six’s questions and not having much luck. “There are only a few warforged in Sharn with docents, usually ones who visited Xen’drik. And none with information about warforged history, that I know of. I also don’t know of any that learn new skills or how one may create them. I have heard rumors that House Cannith has schema, also from Xen’drik, which allow creation of docents, but thus far they are only rumors.”

“I have another question. In your circle, do you know what may have happened to the Lord of Blades? The rumor, that he had a creation forge, is unlikely. But stranger things happen.” Six thinks of some of the things he has seen and experienced. “And walk about and talk to people.”

Smith clearly decides to just answer questions without asking any right now. “I believe that he was slain by the Blades of Arakhain, as Houses Cannith and Deneith reported. There were certainly warforged with unusual additions that had been sent here by the Lord of Blades, who were killing other warforged in the Cogs. The Blades of Arakhain slew them, but whether they were built by him or not I cannot say. The Blades, at least, were quite certain that he had a functional forge.”

Interesting! “Are there any remains of the attacking warforged the Lord of Blades sent?”

“A number were slain by the Blades and the remainder by forces from the Cannith Forgehold. After the battles, House Cannith took away the bodies for study. I believe Tarya d’Cannith was the one in charge of the matter. The Blades said they were unusually powerful, which must be true since some of the Blades were captured by them during the fight, and they were generally considered the most powerful adventurers in Sharn before you and your companions arrived. Only a second attack by those who escaped, aided by the captured Blades, forced them to flee, and the Cannith forces killed the survivors. I believe they took the bodies back to the Forgehold for study.”

Damn! That means I’m not getting to see them, thinks Six, remembering what he has been told of the Forgehold, which is located in the Cogs and generally considered the primary Cannith building, even more important than the central enclave in Dragon Towers. It is where they store their most valuable items, where the primary discoveries and inventions are made, and is generally regarded as the most secure building (or series of buildings) in Sharn. And interesting coincidence. Tarya was in charge of the meeting I had at the Cannith enclave.

While Six is considering the information, Smith continues, “I did see – and bury – the body of one that the Blades had encountered months earlier. At the time they did not know he had been sent by the Lord of Blades. Unfortunately, after killing him they removed his hands and head. Adventurers, even the well-meaning ones, can be overly hasty and cruel sometimes.” There’s a little disapproval in Smith’s voice. “They cast the body into the tunnels leading to the Cogs and it was later recovered and brought to me. They told me later that the head had fang-like teeth and the hands had metal claws at the ends of the fingers. There was also a tube attached to one arm which emitted a fiery blast. I believe the Blades gave the head, the hands and tube to House Cannith for study and in exchange for some equipment.”

Wait – what?! From the description of the warforged which the Blades cast into the Cogs, Six realizes it was the headless and handless warforged corpse which landed next to him and the other Angels during their first trip into the Cogs. All of 7 months ago*. Though he has no spine, Six feels what would be the equivalent of a crawling up it. That’s really a bit much of a coincidence! I wonder if something is manipulating us, like the rakshasa did.

“Thank you,” Six says slowly. “That is very helpful. I am also looking for any reforged that may be in Sharn. You know, the warforged who try to emulate humans and lose their nature as constructs.”

“Yes, I know of them,” says Smith, mild distaste in his tone. “There are only a few, very few, in Sharn. Maybe two or three.”

“I would like to speak to one. I wish to know if dragonmarks have ever appeared on any of them.”

“Huh?” Smith’s confusion is palpable. “Warforged cannot develop dragonmarks. I thought you knew that.”

“I know that’s supposed to be the case,” says Six. “I was curious to know if there were any exceptions.”

“Not that I know of. And it’s very unlikely that I wouldn’t know if it happened. I’m quite sure it is impossible.”

“Thank you,” says Six. “That will be all.” He takes his leave and heads out the door, disguising himself again before doing so. As he proceeds back to the towers of Sharn, he wonders what the others have been doing in his absence.

And exactly what he will have to do to find a way to build new warforged, as he has been considering for months now.

Gurr’khan sits cross-legged, elbows resting on his knees, fingers interlaced and head in his hands. He rocks back and forth slightly, muttering a stream of orcish phrases. His tone is soft, but venomous. It doesn’t take any knowledge of the language to work out that he is swearing.

Luna looks at him, at the others, and back to Gurr’khan. Then she says, sounding half concerned and half amused, “Guys – I think we broke him!”

* And 65 sessions ago, or 2 years in real time. The plot hook does not sleep, he waits!

Remove ads