Curtains Ch.04 - Shell Games

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Fate (HP: 5), Sport Coat and tie ensemble

"I've asked before, Agent Simmons, and I guess I'll offer again," Steven smiled and offered. "If I had the opportunity to spend some time with one of the witnesses while they were at that location - and if the witness cave their permission, I could look back in there mind and hear what was said in front of them. With our Russian friend here, we could make better sense of the words, perhaps even including him in the conjuration if he was willing."

Rybaer

First Post
"Well, you understand that most people are going to be really reluctant to let someone read their mind, even for a good cause," Agent Simmons says. "I can try to speak with the witnesses again, to see if I can talk someone into volunteering, but there's no way we can force anyone to cooperate. I'll get back to you by tomorrow afternoon on that one."

He scribbles a note to himself in his notepad. He looks back up at Mr. Danko for a reply to his previous questions.

ooc - Is Steven taking any measures to protect his identity at the moment, such as wearing his mask? Just wondering to what lengths he's going to maintain a secret identity.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
OOC: Not with team members, so Granite, Tarantula and Soundtrack know his identity and his desire to keep it secret. For the meeting, Fate is likely wearing a simpler mask, with eyes revealed.

hero4hire

Explorer
"Well, you understand that most people are going to be really reluctant to let someone read their mind, even for a good cause," Agent Simmons says. "I can try to speak with the witnesses again, to see if I can talk someone into volunteering, but there's no way we can force anyone to cooperate. I'll get back to you by tomorrow afternoon on that one."

He scribbles a note to himself in his notepad. He looks back up at Mr. Danko for a reply to his previous questions.

"Da! I am being sorry. My english is not so good. I am being told he is costing the Syndicate 3 million of your American Dollars." Ivan normally stoic facade breaks somewhat at hearing they have had trouble with witnesses. "It is crime no? Not helping Police? You tell me names of witnesses...I make them answer."

Rybaer

First Post
hero4hire said:
"Da! I am being sorry. My english is not so good. I am being told he is costing the Syndicate 3 million of your American Dollars." Ivan normally stoic facade breaks somewhat at hearing they have had trouble with witnesses. "It is crime no? Not helping Police? You tell me names of witnesses...I make them answer."

Agent Simmons looks up at Ivan with a dubious raised eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot divulge the witnesses' names to you," he says bluntly. "And while it would be a crime for them to give false statements, forcing them to cooperate in something as ethically dubious as mind-reading is well outside the scope of U.S. laws. I trust you will respect the local laws as well in your investigation.

"If someone is willing to participate in a mind reading of their own free will, then perhaps we can allow you to assist in translating any words they might remember."

hero4hire

Explorer
"Ah of course Tovarisch. I of course understand." I understand that I will do whatever it takes to find this killer. Kombat finished silently.

Velmont

First Post
"So Jorgi have stolen some mafia organization... why I don't liek the idea of going against an organization? Oh, yeah, because the last one I met kidnap my father and killed my friend. Can't they let us in peace so we fight teh abberation of the curtain instead?" Lawrence asks to no one, while he shake his head. "Just thinking aloud." he adds before he answer.

Mimic

First Post
Thomas leans back in his chair taking another swig of beer. This wasn't his sort of thing, it was best to let the smart ones make the plans.

Rybaer

First Post
(ooc - cuervo96 will be traveling most of the summer with minimal computer access, so I'll npc his character most of the time until he's back...just poor timing with the beginning of this game. On the other hand, I'll also be traveling quite a bit this summer, so the game may run a little slow every now and then. No major trips planned until mid-July, though.)

Agent Simmons looks like he's about to say something else, but is interrupted when four cell phones begin to beep simultaneously. The two-way video-enabled, fully-encrypted phones provided to the team members are all ringing with the special tone designated for a local emergency. This is the first time this system has been utilized.

As they flip open the phones, the image of a man in a police uniform is seen on the screen. He looks a little uncomfortable, as if trying to figure out how to best frame himself in the camera.

"Oh, hey, that was quick," he says. "Hmmm...it looks like you're all at the new HQ. I guess we could just handle this through the teleconference rig there. Hang on a sec."

The connection drops to the phones while one of the meeting room's large monitors flicks on. The police officer is again visible, only in much better resolution this time.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything too important, but we have a rapidly evolving situation that the captain felt you guys might be able to help out on," he says. "Reports are coming in that the Sullivan and Veers Diamond Exchange is in the process of being robbed. Two eye-witnesses have confirmed the presence of at least one flying metahuman in addition to half a dozen or more others on foot.

"Because of the high profile of the target and the metahuman presence, we're asking for your assistance. The Diamond Exchange is on the 46th floor of the Watchtower. That's only a mile from your location, so you should be able to reach it quickly. Notify an officer on the scene when you arrive please.

"Any questions? We don't have much more information at the moment."

cuervo96

First Post
Rybaer said:
(ooc - cuervo96 will be traveling most of the summer with minimal computer access, so I'll npc his character most of the time until he's back...just poor timing with the beginning of this game. On the other hand, I'll also be traveling quite a bit this summer, so the game may run a little slow every now and then. No major trips planned until mid-July, though.)

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything too important, but we have a rapidly evolving situation that the captain felt you guys might be able to help out on," he says. "Reports are coming in that the Sullivan and Veers Diamond Exchange is in the process of being robbed. Two eye-witnesses have confirmed the presence of at least one flying metahuman in addition to half a dozen or more others on foot.

"Because of the high profile of the target and the metahuman presence, we're asking for your assistance. The Diamond Exchange is on the 46th floor of the Watchtower. That's only a mile from your location, so you should be able to reach it quickly. Notify an officer on the scene when you arrive please.

"Any questions? We don't have much more information at the moment."

With a sudden swelling of music, an instrumental score that carries elements of excitement, danger, and not a little bit of nervous fear, Soundtrack sits up a bit straighter in his seat. He had zoned out a bit during the preceeding conversation, mostly because he didn't know the players and knew his role wouldn't be a decision making one in this process. But now, here, was the time for action, and he was determined to prove himself to the others...and himself.

"What do we have in the way of a civilian presence? What other businesses or shops or companies or whatever are on the nearby floors of the Watchtower?"

Remove ads