Which rules-light RPG system would you recommend?

Hairfoot

First Post
I'm looking for something to use as an intro to RPGs for people who haven't played before, so my chief criteria are genre versatility and easy learning. I've looked at some samples for True20 and West End Games' D6 Fantasy - both of which I like - but I'm not very informed on what's out there.

What's your favourite rules-light system?

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Savage Worlds is the simplest system I’ve ever used.

RuneQuest (or Basic Role Playing if you must) is also simple.

I also think that HârnMaster is simple. I’ll admit that character generation is laborious, but the system itself isn’t.

harmyn

First Post
I suggest WEG's d6 system. The Fantasy d6 book is more of a toolkit than an established out of the box kind of game, but it is easy to learn, cinematic, and fun to play. I would say it is one of the easiest systems to learn that is currently out there.

Depending on their ages you could also go with Exalted, the White Wolf house system is pretty easy to wrap your head around and I have heard good things about Savage Worlds but I have never played it or even seen books for it so I can't say for certain.

ChristianW

First Post
Hairfoot said:
What's your favourite rules-light system?

I still get use out of Basic D&D (red box). I've even been writing a series of articles for it in my fanzine. I dunno, the game just works for me. Minimalist, yet still enough rules to have fun.

For these same reasons, Star Frontiers (TSR, 1982) is awesome for sci-fi.

For ease-of-use and versatility I'd go with Savage Worlds. I prefer Castles & Crusades or Lejendary Adventure, but Savage Worlds is probably a better choice if you're interested in using the system for multiple genres. FATE looks pretty good, too, but I've never played it.

Technomancer

First Post
Castles and Crusades is great if you like the general idea/mechanics of D&D but want something simpler (much simpler). It uses many of the same mechanics and conventions of D20 (same attributes in the 3-18 range, HP, AC, roll high on a D20), but also has some of the feel of AD&D (class abilities instead of feats and skills, less tactical combat). Character creation takes about 10 minutes, and it is very quick in play.

D6 is my favorite system. It is also very quick in both character creation and play while allowing for a decent amount of depth and customization.

Savage Worlds I have read but not played. It is pretty easy, but it has a few more fiddly bits than D6. I know a lot of people use it as their alternative to D&D.

True20 is a good game. It isn't really lighter than D&D, but it is more streamlined and runs a bit more smoothly. It goes the opposite way of C&C, it is all feats and skills, with almost no class abilities. The three classes determine which feats you have access to and your saves, and not much else. You build whatever class you want with feats (many of the class abilities from D&D are feats in this game), so if you want a wizard with barbarian rage, you can do it.

In short, they are all good systems.

Remove ads