Which rules-light RPG system would you recommend?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would recommend D6. Very easy to play, only trouble is some people have trouble adding up the dice.

Fudge I find incredibly confusing, because you need special dice and it uses adjectives instead of numbers to describe attributes, but I get mixed up which is which. It's the only system I've found that gives me a worse headache than Gurps.

Treebore

First Post
I like BESM d20 and Tri-Stat, they are what I use for RIFTS, Mecha, and Anime style/flavor game sessions, but I don't consider it rules lite or easy to learn.

Glyfair

Explorer
Personally, I'd go with Heroquest. While the game is set in Glorantha, it's pretty easily adaptable to other settings.

It's biggest weakness is that it's not really for the tactical player. The game mechanic is very cinematic in design, measuring the ebbs and flows of a contest.

It's biggest advantage is that you can be quite creative with using the system. Any two skills can be used in a contest, with inappropriate ones getting a disadvantage (often a large disadvantage). If you want to use your boating skill because you are fighting with an oar, you have a chance. If you want to use you "Outwit large stupid creature" skill against the creatures "Smash foe" ability, you can do so.

In fact, that leads to its second strength. Skills and abilities are very flexible. Except for your raw combat skills, there really aren't any fixed skills. In the main character generation system (out of 3 options), you write a 100 page description of your character wand what they can do. If you write that you have "travelled widely," then the GM can write down that you have the skill "travelled widely" and you can use that skill where appropriate.

Crothian

First Post
I'm going to eventually make the jump to d6. It supports fantasy, pulp, and sci fi which are basically my three favorite settings.

Hairfoot

First Post
Thanks for the quality feedback.

I'm wanting to set up a short game in the setting occupied by a well-known boy wizard who is copyrighted and, inexplicably, doesn't have his own RPG.

D6 looks like a goer, largely because the people I'm encouraging to play associate d6s with Monopoly, and d20s with social retardation and late-life virginity.

Hairfoot said:
D6 looks like a goer, largely because the people I'm encouraging to play associate d6s with Monopoly, and d20s with social retardation and late-life virginity.
That made me think of the Beavis and Butthead episode where they get put in the gifted class and stick d20s in their noses.

Gnome

First Post
Out of the easy systems that people recommended, which would make the best stepping stone to D&D? I have a friend who is interested in playing, but is intimidated by lots of rules. Maybe introduce her to C&C first, or is there something that would work better?

bolen

First Post
True 20 is easy to play but in my limited reading character creation is just as complex as D&D if not more so

Last edited:

Remove ads